removing zelda's message in the beginning

Go down

removing zelda's message in the beginning Empty removing zelda's message in the beginning

Post by wizzrobemaster Mon 1 Feb 2016 - 17:14

how do I disable Zelda's message of finding the hidden sewers?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

removing zelda's message in the beginning Empty Re: removing zelda's message in the beginning

Post by SunGodPortal Mon 1 Feb 2016 - 17:42

Are you talking about this one?

I am in the dungeon of the castle. I know there is a hidden path from outside of the castle to the garden inside.

If so:
3F498: 38 > 18
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

removing zelda's message in the beginning Image213

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

removing zelda's message in the beginning Empty Re: removing zelda's message in the beginning

Post by wizzrobemaster Mon 1 Feb 2016 - 18:09

yes that is the one. I can't stand this text constantly appearing. my open world hack will remove extraneous text. are there other addresses listed with disabling text?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 1 Feb 2016 - 18:10

SunGodPortal wrote:Are you talking about this one?

I am in the dungeon of the castle. I know there is a hidden path from outside of the castle to the garden inside.

If so:
3F498: 38 > 18
wizrobemaster wrote:yes that is the one. I can't stand this text constantly appearing.  my open world hack will remove extraneous text.  are there other addresses listed with disabling text?
+

Yes, there are some other addresses like removing the text: "You are out of magic, watch your magic meter" etc.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnachy69 Tue 2 Feb 2016 - 13:46

Hmmm Puzzle you can delete this text also in the monologue of HM or is this an other method ????

Arnachy69
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2015-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Tue 2 Feb 2016 - 13:55

you need to use a hex editor to change it. so far I found no adverse effect from it. the text ends once you enter the tunnel.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 2 Feb 2016 - 16:00

Arnachy69 wrote:Hmmm Puzzle you can delete this text also in the monologue of HM or is this an other method ????
Yes you can delete the text, but the (empty) message will still pop up. If you want it not to appear, you need to do a hex edit.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnachy69 Wed 3 Feb 2016 - 4:34

Aha Puzzle so that right indeed when you delete a text in te monoloque the next time you start HM the empty line is still there

Arnachy69
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2015-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 3 Feb 2016 - 12:41

I never deleted an entire text but one thing about save states is that it can mess up the text.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Wed 3 Feb 2016 - 15:47

I never deleted an entire text but one thing about save states is that it can mess up the text.

Yeah, that can make testing that much more annoying. There is an easy way to test text though.

1) Make a ROM that is only for testing.
2) Write your text in slot #31 of the monologue.
3) Open the ROM in an emulator, start a new game and the text you are testing will be the first text displayed.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 3 Feb 2016 - 20:47

the scrambled text in the save state also messes up the fairy fountain. strangely it only happens when using save state and not an srm file.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Wed 3 Feb 2016 - 21:19

I guess it loads something important for the text (pointers?) as soon as you start a play session. If you then make changes to the text, the save state has data that is no longer accurate.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 3 Feb 2016 - 21:31

the scrambled text in the save state also messes up the fairy fountain. strangely it only happens when using save state and not an srm file.
Sure. The text pointers when a sentence is about to start are written to ram during rom booting. When you edit the text the pointers are moved (of course, because the length of the phrases vary). So if you load a zst you have the old pointers but with a new text, which obviously bugs.
Only way to avoid this is to use the srm.
Conn
Conn

removing zelda's message in the beginning Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Thu 4 Feb 2016 - 1:09

I use the zst when playtesting the hacks. the srm is mainly what I use when starting a file.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down