Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta - Page 4 Empty Re: Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta

Post by omg Sun 19 Mar 2017 - 8:20

Hi everyboby!

Seems a great Z3 hack!
And with MSU!!!

But unfortunately, I can't find 1.21 IPS Patch...
Download link on Romhacking.com doesn't work : http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/

Could anyone help me? THX

omg
Newcomer

Since : 2017-03-19

Back to top Go down

Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta - Page 4 Empty Re: Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta

Post by Puzzledude Sun 19 Mar 2017 - 10:06

omg wrote:Hi everyboDy!

Seems a great Z3 hack!
And with MSU!!!

But unfortunately, I can't find 1.21 IPS Patch...
Download link on Romhacking.com doesn't work : http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/

Could anyone help me? THX

There you go.
PW 1.2 patch, with Beat patcher
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5196

I also included the BPS pacher called Beat, since in case you don't have it, you again can not download it from RHDN's Utilities section, since they just brought the site up again when changing their primary server. So their downloads are not working yet.

Darunia Fix is however an IPS file and you patch it normally with LunarIPS on top of PW 1.2, to then gain 1.21. Note I didn't have this merged in my files.
Darunia Fix:
https://t.co/NYYxZ3tqmb

Do note: 1.2 still has some problems as stated by previous posts - in Darunia you can still trap yourself in some rooms if going back from where you came from; and the overlay in the ice world Lake area - where you open up Rauru's ruins dungeon - that overlay will be bugged (becomes static) when you open the dungeon and go out. This is due to newly inserted Master Sword ASM, which deactivates all Snow overlays once you pull the Sword.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta - Page 4 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Stark Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 17:16

Hey Puzzledude... Why don't you Rename both Version of PW into Parallel Worlds (Remodel Version) and Parallel Worlds Master Quest (Original since its harder). Would sound much nicer than Remodel and you (or maybe me) could do a Master Quest Intro gfx.

Chris Stark
Rope
Rope

Since : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 17:33

I don't think this will happen, mainly since the original Parallel Worlds is known for its difficulty, so you can not really rename it in any way. This would confuse the players and there is this unwritten codex which essentially says that you don't really mod other hacks without permission (specially if you do not intend to preserve the original - in this case the 1.1 version, which obviosuly is no longer preserved).

So you see I insisted on the Remodel being a separate project completely. I was also against the PW update to 1.2 as merged project (while we lost 1.1), since this should also be separate in my opinion, since we played PW for 10 years and got used to it. The update should be separate and called PW DX.

I was actually right: new bugs came into the 1.2 as I suspected, which were not in 1.1. As you can imagine it can be a problem if you edit the rom without some heavy testing afterwards.

This is why I'm bringing out PW 1.22 to address these bugs, untill Qwerty finishes 1.3. Once all of this is playtested, only then would the DX infact be obsolete and could actually be renamed to PW 1.2 or 1.3 and thus replace PW 1.1.

But still, it didn't went this way. I believe 1.22 and 1.3 will sort things out in the end, but obviously this is still PW as we know it and calling it Master Quest would confuse players.

Imagine me remodeling PW and call the remodel 1.2. As I suspected, this would result in an outcry, since a lot (and lot) of players still believe the original PW is better than the remodeled version, which again proves me right to separate the projects.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Stark Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 18:19

A I see... The confusion point is what I did not think of. ^^

Chris Stark
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 20:04

Yes, of course there is the actual game's name and the file name. The actual game name, specially on the title screen can not be changed at all, even the remodel still has this unchanged, but obviously you can rename your file name.

The file name can indeed be renamed into PW Remodel or similar, or PW hard/original version. However this is trivial. We could also rename the internal header name of the game (since this too is trivial).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Stark Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 20:20

The Title Screen was the important thing to me... Maybe we could make another patch for "home use"? Since when you patch this for yourself you should know what you got. ^^
Officially it would both stay PW and PWR like in Reviews and Lets Plays... But I like to have a PW MQ Screen for my Original Version for my collection. If you give me a hint to a tut or something how I can change the screen maybe I could do it all by myself. Or you give me the title sprite, I add the Master Quest and send it back to you... Smile

Chris Stark
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 20:34

I don't think you understand how this is done. Title screen is obviously not a sprite. This is all GFX editing and obviously the GFX set for the title screen will not allow for you to expand the main title: PARALLEL WORLDS, since this is squeezed down to the last pixel in the GFX set.

Not a chance to add MASTER QUEST with capital letters. The only possibility is to add it the way EUCLID and SEPH is written with smaller letters while 1 letter is one gfx space/tile.
So currently letters EUCLIDSPH exist.

Again you can not spell Master Quest with these letters.
You are missing: M, A, T, R, Q.
And I'm not sure if there are 5 free gfx spaces left on the title screen gfx set.

But you can of course examine the gfx set and see if you can find them.

I just checked:
some slots seem empty, but note: they might actually be loaded empty/black, so this is not wise to change. You could renounce on the years 2016-, this is them 5 slots you need.
Years will go out and Master quest in. Euclid and SePH letters remain.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 20:40

Also do note: this is not ALTTP. You can not just throw this into Hyrule Magic and edit it. Everything is done via Hex and with combo with so called view-decoded version which actually tells you where things are in hex (this specific rom is otherwise completely useless and bugged).

So like said: this is no-easy task. You might not even be able to expand the current horizontal title screen element from what the years are using to master quest.
Let's see: 2003-2016 is 9, master quest is: 12. Which means horizontal must be expanded by 3 and positioned 1x or 2x left, then filled with new letters, after you do a GFX edit from numbers to letter and redraw the element.
Doing all this in hex might would be very difficult.

I actually can not recomend for you to do this, mainly since it is all hex based and the other/main reason is that the title screen was bugged in general and was hardly debugged with a special new ASM, which complicates things further.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Stark Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 20:51

WTH(ack)? Okay obviusly its far more complicated than I thought xD
I thought its this sprite set (found it on Internet) https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhbrlb5t9uri2bt/SNES%20-%20The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20A%20Link%20to%20the%20Past%20-%20Title%20Screen.png?dl=0
and yeah... Just add the "Master Quest" et voila... But that does not seem to work. Maybe this is a sprite set from Game Maker or such Editor... I remember reading somewhere about the hack all beeing made with hex and not Hyrule Magic now that you mention it. Sad... The "E and S" text solution would be unsatisfying and I don't want to take the opening credits from both of them... It belongs there...

Chris Stark
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 7:29

What you see on the picture you posted is not really a sprite set. Someone just "ripped" the GFX of all things on screen during the opening: a Triforce, which is a separate moving 3d object, the sword comming down is a sprite, but it has its own gfx set, normal 4 gfx sets on the right (static - not a sprite at all), while the big Zelda and the title ALTTP are normal gfx (again static - thus not a sprite).

I also checked this: Title screen in PW is completely "locked" for Hyrule magic, so now you are in direct-hex mode only, while no new horizontal elements can be added where you could write your new text.

This basically means the only possibility for you to still do this is to remove both the years and the author names and then write master quest where the author names are, but like said this is a very immoral act, yet this is how it works; to bring new in, some old must go out, since when you remove the names, you gain plenty new gfx and can write something with even more unique letters than the Master quest name (while you have 14 letter-space to write to).

On the other hand you can easily write Master quest in the Monologue section, so when the game starts it would say: Master Quest etc etc and then go to: Parallel Tower, the tyrant king ... (story).

Or you can add the game name, Master Quest and the version in the Monologue on your bed. This is what the game is doing to indicate the version (like 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc). So we do always add this for players to know the version and date as well. The Remodel has this info as well, to indicate it is a remodled version, when you read ths sign on the bed. So your idea was taken into consideration in this monologue at least (so thus the players should know if they are playing 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, or the remodel version).

Just add the "Master Quest" et voila
PS... Nintendo used a program to calculate how many "unique" small gfx tiles is in the title screen and another program to fit it into the GFX set, which basically tells you all, since they packed it down to the last slot. This is why their Logo is separate, since it didn't fit. PW is using the logo for something else, so again used already.

So now you know how much work SePH needed to come up with the new title screen and also be able to add years and new letters into the same gfx - obviously the PW title screen thus uses less original tiles on the background and more for credits.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 7:51; edited 3 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 7:44

WTH(ack)? Okay obviusly its far more complicated than I thought
Editing the title screen usually is... editing the Parallel Worlds rom always is. Basically if you want to learn how to edit ALTTP go with the original game and even there you can not add master quest anywhere, since it is again packed up tight. You would again need to remove something - and what else to remove but the Nintendo logo, since you can not remove the background of the actual title screen to gain space. You can cleraly see this game was not designed to allow changes or new content (although some free space exists elsewhere in the rom - code and gfx wise).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Stark Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 8:29

Yeah okay... R.I.P. title screen change... It's just not worth the effort ^^
Thanks for the insights though Wink

Chris Stark
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Stark Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 10:32

Didn't notice you made a double post. Read you first one just now. Adding it in the Monologue on the bed was an idea I had, too. Would work (thought so) but is not that satisfying. If you want to do it for a new version I'd like that, but its not needed... ^^

Chris Stark
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 11:21

Well, the PW 1.23 will be out any day now. And it will also get the bed monologue to v1.23, so players know which version they are playing while the txt will explain what was debugged from 1.2. It will not get the "master quest" title though.

Like said - for your personal use, you can change the authors names and thus remove them - and instead write Master quest on the title screen if this is what you want for your "personal" version, the "official" will simply be called PW v1.23 until Qwerty finishes v1.3. Which I'm assuming will also happen. The Remodel v1.3 should also happen as far as I know (this one will not be done by me).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisz Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 2:01

Does 1.23 version stopped being fastROM?

I have a program that shows most of the information of the ROM, version 1.21 is fastROM, but the version 1.23 ceased to be, that's what shows the program.

Is it possible that the program is giving wrong information?

I'm sorry if my English is not very good.

Crisz
Crisz
Bee
Bee

Since : 2017-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 3:34

The choice to release as PW 1.2 instead of DX or whatever was made with explicit permission from both Euclid and SePH.  Yes, the 1.2 release had bugs, I asked for testers, nobody bothered to take me up on it.  And then I self-imposed the hard deadline to release for the 10th anniversary, which led to some last-minute changes, and some bugs showed up there too.  1.3 is happening, but like SePH and the bugfix updates to Conker, I got a bit burned out, and it's taken me a bit to get back to it.  I wish I could have gotten it right on the first try, but it didn't work out that way.

I haven't had a chance to look at 1.23, but 1.3 will definitely still be FastROM.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta - Page 4 Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 10:27

Crisz wrote:Does 1.23 version stopped being fastROM?

I have a program that shows most of the information of the ROM, version 1.21 is fastROM, but the version 1.23 ceased to be, that's what shows the program.

Is it possible that the program is giving wrong information?

I'm sorry if my English is not very good.

No, obviously. Version 1.23 is still FastRom, as this can not be reverted that easily. FastRom addresses a lot (and lot) of code, and obviously I did not change this at all.

You can make a quick test: go to the village, right in the middle where a lot of sprites are on screen - it does not lag here (so thus fast rom), but on version 1.0 and 1.1 it lags. The same if you go north from the village: when the Octaballon enemy explodes. Again no lag on 1.23 or 1.2, but lag on 1.0 and 1.1.

Also do note: even if fast rom: a lot of situations still give a lag. So it is not really fast or not fast rom, it is how you construct a game. Putting multiple sprites on screen (like still in some dungeons) will lag even if fast rom.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 11:10

No, obviously. Version 1.23 is still FastRom, as this can not be reverted that easily. FastRom addresses a lot (and lot) of code, and obviously I did not change this at all.

Sure it it can be reverted easily, I sent you the .asm, right?  FastROM is only applied if you add -d fastrom to the command line when calling bass, and removing it is as simple as omitting that.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Zelda Parallel Worlds v1.2 public beta - Page 4 Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 11:56

That's true. But like said FastRom was never the issue, so I never wanted to change this, while my base Rom already had this feature implemented.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisz Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 17:58

I understand, thanks for the information.
Crisz
Crisz
Bee
Bee

Since : 2017-01-22

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4