Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves

Go down

Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves Empty Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves

Post by Puzzledude Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 10:53

There still is a problem with the Gloves (as always) with Minish cap Zelda. Does anyone know how to prevent a certain main sprite colour to change when you receive the power glove and the golden glove/titans mitt.

Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves Palbug
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves Empty Re: Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves

Post by Floki Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 11:38

https://www.zeldix.net/t584-alttp-bugs-and-their-fixes

^^Not sure if thats what you are looking for.

Conn wrote:A quite elegant solution to fix the glove Palette were to

pc
07/573c:  e2 30 e6 15 -> 22 1d ee 1b

the e6 15 (inc 15) overwritten by the code is executed later by the new code. Can anybody test whether the glove Palette bugs are gone with this - (at least the map bug should be history, for the bunny shot I am not sure)?

Edit: but it seems like the tempbunny, ether and electroshock is fixed by this as well. Can anybody confirm?

Floki

Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves Empty Re: Pallete problem for Minish Zelda when receiving gloves

Post by Puzzledude Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 12:18

This actually doesn't solve the problem.

This debug does the opposite, it inforces the glove palette for Link's hands after the map is pressed etc etc. This is ok/debug for Alttp.

In the case of Minish Zelda this bug actually solves the problem, since it turns off the grey hands of Link and thus flase grey Zelda's hair.

So in this case we basically need this to be turned off (aka what the Alttp bug is doing) permanently.

Personally I don't know why Nintendo decided to go for this, since it really makes hacking problematic when a certain item recolours the main sprite. It would be better for the main sprite to not be affected by any additionaly palettes (ie do the exact opposite of what the bug fix is doing, since the bug fix enforces the glove palette in all cases).

I'm not sure how this was handled with Conker, since when he receive a glove, at least one pal of the main sprite should be (falsly) changed.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 12:54

I think we completely disabled it in the conker hack (at least I cannot recall Conker wearing gloves).

I do not completely understand the problem, but this is mainly because I do not have a rom to trace. Just a chance by pure guessing, try:
07/573c: e2 30 e6 15 -> e2 30 ea ea
The ea (nop) will disable the palette change. At least I think/hope so.
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 13:18

Just a chance by pure guessing, try:
07/573c: e2 30 e6 15 -> e2 30 ea ea
Unfortunatelly this doesn't solve it. But I tested with Conker and there are no effects on main sprite when Conker is receiving glove (lift-2). So there must be another address.

I do not completely understand the problem, but this is mainly because I do not have a rom to trace.
I've sent you the rom via email, since this really is vital. As you might know Link's face also get's falsly grey in Parallel Worlds when he receivs gloves (and thus the derivates of this new sprite in other hacks might/will have the same problem).
So if you can find this, I'm sure practically all hacks will implement this fix.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 13:39

Oh my, if only all bugs were that easy to fix Razz

ASM trace:

Code:

$1B/EE1D AF 54 F3 7E LDA $7EF354[$7E:F354]   A:1804 ; load glove
$1B/EE21 29 FF 00    AND #$00FF              A:0001 ; isolate lower byte
$1B/EE24 F0 0F       BEQ $0F    [$EE35] ; if zero branch  

So basically you just need to make the code branch always (just as it is when having no gloves which can be achieved by:
pc: 0D/EE24: F0 ->80
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 13:52

So basically you just need to make the code branch always (just as it is when having no gloves which can be achieved by:
pc: 0D/EE24: F0 ->80
Thank you, Conn. It works. Very Happy
This must be somekind of record (since the topic has practically just been opened).

This really is vital and all hacks should have this byte 80. And Alttp should too. I mean golden hands look odd.

This also solves the other instances of being electricuted, pressing map etc etc, since the main sprite is now always as it is drawn in YY-chr.

I'm sure all hacks will/have to use this, to avoid strange grey and gold colour poping up on the main sprite (unless you use the original sprite and still like grey and gold hands while receiving gloves).

PS Conker betas have this byte changed to 80 already. Razz
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 14:01

Great Very Happy

You can add it to the single code collections if you like; I suggest not changing native alttp (or all-in) since I prefer the native way of changing hand colors, even if it might look odd in golden land.
If one uses a different character who will need one more palette color (like PW or minish cap), this change of course is mandatory.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 14:09

You can add it to the single code collections if you like.
Sure.

I suggest not changing native alttp (or all-in) since I prefer the native way of changing hand colors, even if it might look odd in golden land.
Yes, if this is the choice of the authors to somehow show the gloves with the new colour of the hands of the main sprite.

Of course in this case, this debug is in order to actually keep these coloured hands permanent:
07/573c: e2 30 e6 15 -> 22 1d ee 1b

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 15 Jul 2016 - 22:59

I'll probably use this in PW instead of my sprite sheet edit. Thanks again, Conn Smile
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 5:16

That's probably a wise decision. In the end this hand change is a rather small effect and that native bug was only discovered by very few people...
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down