Dungeon Doors Project

Go down

Dungeon Doors Project Empty Dungeon Doors Project

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 10:21

Call me crazy, but sometimes I'd just prefer to add my doors in with a hex editor. Too many of the doors look the same in Hyrule Magic while in a hex editor you can see them for what they really are and understand exactly how they are to function without any need for experimentation/trial and error.

Each door is 2 bytes. Byte 1 is the position, byte 2 is the type. They can be found at the end of each room's object data, preceded by F0 FF and followed by FF FF.

Here's the doors (where applicable) for rooms 0-255 and 256-295:
0-255:

Door positions and their corresponding hex values:
Dungeon Doors Project Door_p12

Door type values:

*Updated at 5:15 AM, December 18th*

Last edited by SunGodPortal on Sun 18 Dec 2016 - 11:22; edited 8 times in total
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Dungeon Doors Project Image213

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Dungeon Doors Project Empty Re: Dungeon Doors Project

Post by Puzzledude Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 11:57

I'm not sure where you have problems, as editing this really hasn't prooven to have any major bugs or major problems if you do it right with the editor and test it later on in the game itself.

It is follwed by FF FF because this is the end of a room layer, it also is after FF FF since that is the end of the layer2. It is "last" since doors are usually always put to bg3. Imagine editing doors which have to be put to bg2 or bg1, imagine editing doors when an entire section of actual room elements is also on bg3 - then the door will be somewhere in between the other elements on bg3 in the hex code.

There are multiple door types which look the same. I can not suggest for you to edit doors via hex as you are basically limited to the amount of doors already in the room, but nice that you have the motivation of doing it so far.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 17:12

Trap doors (i.e.type... 12, I think?) must be within the first 4, or possibly 5 data slots, otherwise they will cause the bug seen often in PW where you walk through it in the closed animation state, then it quickly opens and closes once you're through it. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to any other door types.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Dungeon Doors Project Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 19:56

qwertymodo wrote:Trap doors (i.e.type... 12, I think?) must be within the first 4, or possibly 5 data slots, otherwise they will cause the bug seen often in PW where you walk through it in the closed animation state, then it quickly opens and closes once you're through it. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to any other door types.

K. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. These are the sort of details that I def want in this thread.

Anyway, I'm updating my list to include the rest of the rooms in the original game, have included a short list of the isolated door numbers that are actually used and for the time being I am renaming the 2nd byte to the "attribute byte". My next goal will be to study and label the door types themselves.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by superskuj Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 20:14

To save you some time: http://alttp.run/hacking/index.php?title=Underworld#Object_Data
See "Type 2 Object Structure:"

superskuj

Dungeon Doors Project Image211

Since : 2015-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 20:25

Puzzledude wrote:I'm not sure where you have problems, as editing this really hasn't prooven to have any major bugs or major problems if you do it right with the editor and test it later on in the game itself.

I find it annoying because it requires the number pad and my laptop does not have one. The doors have minimal labeling so I find it confusing. Some of the doors also should not be accessible in the editor because they are bugged (the case with some of the walls that you bomb). That is probably the same situation as with the sprites where Sephiroth3 gave people access to something that was either mislabeled, misinterpreted or simply incomplete.

Puzzledude wrote:It is follwed by FF FF because this is the end of a room layer, it also is after FF FF since that is the end of the layer2. It is "last" since doors are usually always put to bg3. Imagine editing doors which have to be put to bg2 or bg1, imagine editing doors when an entire section of actual room elements is also on bg3 - then the door will be somewhere in between the other elements on bg3 in the hex code.

Noted. Thanks. I'll do some more research on this aspect and update the OP as needed when the time comes/when more detailed information is available.

EDIT: Coming back to this...

From what I can tell there is no need to keep a door of for example, BG1 with the BG1 objects. Hyrule Magic might allow this, but I'm not yet convinced that this is the way the original game actually did it (or that such a door would even work, it might though). The game appears to determine which layer it corresponds to by door type. For example, I think some of the higher door values such as 9x, Ax, Bx are for transitions in or out of BG2 areas.

Puzzledude wrote:There are multiple door types which look the same. I can not suggest for you to edit doors via hex as you are basically limited to the amount of doors already in the room, but nice that you have the motivation of doing it so far.

EDIT: I did an experiment earlier. It appears to only be a matter of whether there is space in the ROM.

Anyway, part of the reason why I'm doing this is because up to this point I have intentionally tried to stay within the limits of what Hyrule Magic can do and what I can do with the documentation and resources provided by others. Having unlimited options causes my brain to shut down. Therefore, it was necessary for me to box myself in at first. Now the box is off and being inspired by the work of some of my friends at baddesthacks.net (mainly the work of Dr. Floppy, Rotwang and MasterGwonam) and of course Seph, I have decided to dig deeper than ever before.

superskuj wrote:To save you some time: http://alttp.run/hacking/index.php?title=Underworld#Object_Data
See "Type 2 Object Structure:"

Awesome. Thanks. I'll review this information and adjust accordingly.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 17 Dec 2016 - 5:43

I updated the OP to include a diagram of the door positions and their values in ROM. I also corrected a mistake concerning the format.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 17 Dec 2016 - 8:46

OP updated once again. I added the values for the door types with descriptions. I guess that's it. All that's left is whatever corrections and refinements are necessary.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that for doors like the one in Link's house you must do as you do in HM where you place two different door types on one position. Of course, that's part of the reason why I provided the data for the stock door configurations, so people could study how things work without having to waste time searching through the ROM in case I forget something important.

The information provided should be more than enough but I'll see what else I can add to this tomorrow. When I feel that this is truly finished I'll move it over to the docs section.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sun 18 Dec 2016 - 11:18

I updated my diagram to include the hex values so that it no longer requires additional lists.

I'd like to do a little more testing on the door types before I consider myself done but I'll probably work on some other stuff before I get to that. After spending so much time in a hex editor and word processor I'm ready for some dungeon work.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down