A Link to the Past: Kaizo Edition

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

A Link to the Past: Kaizo Edition - Page 3 Empty A Link to the Past: Kaizo Edition

A Link to the Past: Kaizo Edition - Page 3 Christos-kaizo

Patch Download:

Kaizoalttp.ips

Faq/Readme:

----------------------------------------

Hello folks!

This is a mini hack called ALTTP: Kaizo. Patch to an unheadered US version ROM.

For those unfamiliar with the term Kaizo, here's an excerpt from our Super Mario World Kaizo cousin:

Kaizo Mario World features extremely difficult level designs and deliberately breaks many normal rules of "accepted" level design, such as placing invisible blocks where the player is likely to jump, thus causing the player to die. This cruelty and the resulting frustration, as well as the skill level required, is the purpose of the hack. The Japanese word 'kaizō' has a literal meaning of "reorganize but in this context it indicates an extreme level of (unfair) difficulty.

This hack is the ALTTP version of this.

It's based on the randomizer concept, which keeps the main game layout the same (overworld/dungeons) but changes the contents of each item location (chests, heart pieces, boss drops, and more). By doing this I have created a unique progression order as well as some unique and challenging puzzles, all within the familiar original setting. There are numerous pieces of minor romhacking to mix things up, which will make you either laugh or cry.

I have provided a more detailed readme containing further information:

https://puu.sh/tOFbT/e3e4953e7e.txt

Lastly, let me emphasise that this is extremely difficult and challenging. It hasn't been made to be fair to the player. It was created with speedrunners in mind and is extremely likely to be frustrating and confusing to most people. Expect to get stuck and die a lot.

I'm sharing it here in case there are any other sadists amongst us. Feedback is welcome, but please bear in mind the aim of the hack before saying it's too hard (because that's the point)!

Very Happy

Last edited by ChristosOwen on Sat 4 Feb 2017 - 19:13; edited 1 time in total
ChristosOwen

A Link to the Past: Kaizo Edition - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2016-06-12

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

A Link to the Past: Kaizo Edition :: Comments

Puzzledude

Post Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 6:48 by Puzzledude

Conn wrote:Could you post a let's play video or anything of this hack?
I think that playthorugh of the beta on Twitch actually reveals all the tricks and also how you solve the game. Of course this version is slightly different.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 8:10 by ChristosOwen

That's true. If you want to see that playthrough you can see it here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/118931407

This is of the original hard version which had a couple of bugs which have since been fixed and I have moved a couple of things around, but the overall hack remains very similar.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 10:28 by Puzzledude

Just found another minor issue, which needs to be implemented. You know how sometimes the heart container animation doesn't work. This is due to all definitions for the heart containers are actually false:
current values are 26 in hex or 3E in hex, which corresponds to 38 and 62 in dec. Both are regarded as LiarHeart and MuteHeart, which I actually don't know why were they programed, but it seems that they actually give a heartcontainer in the Japan version. The actual correct value for a heart Container is chest prize 63 in dec is 3F in hex. So that's easy fixable.

I'll add this to the list of changes from release candidate v1 to v2.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 11:31 by ChristosOwen

I actually knew about the heart containers, and chose to use those ones rather than the ones which fully heal you (like the one in Sanctuary in vanilla). I had the option of both.

The ones I've used are the type you receive after boss fights, which increase your maximum health by 1 and current health by 1, but don't refill you to maximum health. I felt these were better suited to a Kaizo!

Razz

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 12:08 by Puzzledude

I was wondering where the difference is.
In this case they must be all put to 3E (get container and no helth refill), since 3F is (get container and health refill), however some values are still 26, which need to be changed to 3E. But there are no 3F values, so that's ok.

So here are the types of heart containers:

1.) hex value 26= heart container which does not travel up from the chest, but rather stays on place and goes directly to Monologue/dialog. If no monologue, like in Kaizo, there basically is no animation, and in vanilla game this type actually also refills your health.

2.) hex value 3E= heart container which travels normally from the chest up (animation), usually received from the defeated boss, thus no monologue at all. This container does not refill your health.

3.) hex value 3F= heart container which travels normally from the chest up (animation), planed to be received in a chest, it does thus has normal monologue message. This container also refills your health.

So to sum it up, the 3E is correct value for Kaizo.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 28 Dec 2017 - 22:56 by pea2nuts

Wait, so according to the readme, I can't complete this game without a bunch of speedrunning glitches? Man, I was really looking forward to playing this normally...

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 10:16 by Puzzledude

pea2nuts wrote:Wait, so according to the readme, I can't complete this game without a bunch of speedrunning glitches? Man, I was really looking forward to playing this normally...
He also made the Kaizo Lite version, I helped him a little and could make some of my wishes in the game: no fake flippers, Lamp available etc. Not sure where the Lite version is though.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 30 Dec 2017 - 8:27 by ChristosOwen

Yeah, this was more of a thing I made for the speedrunner/randomizer communities and then decided to share on here afterwards, so the audience was never really intended as someone without the in-depth knowledge of the game mechanics required to beat it. With that said, the things required are really rather straightforward (fake flippers and dungeon bunny revival are free, the IP bomb jumps are more tricky perhaps). The Lite version removed these too, I sort of lost interest towards the end of editing that version but I'll see if I can dig it out. As Puzzledude said that one removed the glitches from being necessary, as well as the dark navigation.

I'm planning a Kaizo 2 which will not require any glitches or dark navigation, though. But it's a long way from being complete.

Back to top Go down

Tropylium

Post Tue 25 Dec 2018 - 23:30 by Tropylium

Let's see… bombfighting, bowmanship with limited arrows, lampless East Palace, and that's all before Zelda… I'm liking this already :]

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3