The Legend of Zelda - Parallel Worlds

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Legend of Zelda - Parallel Worlds Empty The Legend of Zelda - Parallel Worlds

Patch download v1.23:
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/t6YiCI7D#pWYBTt1a4jwqSrt1QLzrhgzd871OxMrwty1ViG89mMU

Patch v1.23 (MSU-1 version):
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/pvIATCiB#Z6eGtLICyFd-gB48ZInzjuxSakZf8xv9I6YUy9hmTfg

v1.1 (previous):
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/gnYg3aDa#KsjdewuOcwZ3tdh7vKWy2_I05RNNyy7XqKOqmz-WTOk

The patches need to be applied on ALTTP (US), no header. You need a UPS patcher.

CRC32 of the original file: 777AAC2F
original file name: Legend of Zelda, The: A Link to the Past [U][!].smc (1.024 KB)

We all know this game and its renewal on the 10th anniversary. Unfortunately some new bugs made it into the version 1.2 and were not fixed since released on 31st of december last year.

Do note, there are still some problems remaining since I simply did not have the ambition to fix those and retest the game again on both quests (way too much testing as it is). However main problems were fixed.

-----------------------------------------------

MSU files generator by ABOhiccups

MSU1 PCM Sets
https://www.zeldix.net/t791-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past

MSU1 PCM Rename Generator
https://github.com/ABOhiccups/MSU1-PCM-Rename-Generator/releases/tag/zpw

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixed problems
--------------
(a full list with hex changes/locations is in the actual zip as a txt file):
-fixed main Darunia door problems (6 doors in total)
-false abmient music in Master Sword area fix
-Master Sword ASM reverting, since this was causing an overlay bug in the ice-world lake area; this ASM is not needed since when getting the Master sword there is no reason to return to ice world at all (to see the snow-storm gone)
-reverting false tiles used to block the ice church area (which resulted in false tiles at the Parallel Tower areas)
-closing the church area in another way
-fixed drawing in the ice curch area
-reverting breached shutter doors in Darunia, which are not working (since 4 special doors is max for one room; special door being shutter, key or bombable etc door)

-fixing of all door-code for the entire Darunia dungeon! (there were multiple mistakes on the door code itself, as well as: you could get trapped in if going back in multiple rooms). So basically that "Darunia fix" IPS file was also still wrong/bugged. Darunia doors really were a mess (code wise and paradox wise).
-monologue edit: bed message from 1.20 to 1.23
-be able to collect Byrna in light and dark world (with the alt-treasure chests)

-fixed the infinite diggable tile!
-fixed the day/night patch to be less dark, since when full dark+rain/snow overlay result in way too dark
-fix on the further problem on the
pw_stair_entrance_fix.asm (Basically what's happening here is, that rooms above 292 were no longer an exception, when they should be)
-fixed on top problem for the wall in area 32 above the fairy hole/entrance
-fixed Link's Y coordinate on some entrances when he walks in
-internal header name fix
-further checksum fix

-beta testing on both quests done!

Remaining problems:
-------------------
-light world area 32 (beach). Far left up there is a palm tree, walk around it left up and you can get permastuck sometimes
-light world area 35 (forest), far right-down - those 2 holes can be jumped vertically down with a bomb jump, landing in water and swimming off screen down or right
-Helmasaur should be in a small room (Farore's dungeon), since not allowed to be in a big room (false gfx display when he goes of screen)

-Rauru's Ruins:
-room 56, when you hookshot up and stand a little to right of the optimal vertical, you can walk right and then jump left and falsly into bg2 (braks the game, as you are "under" all dungeons)
-room 54, one key door is false again (door code again false - beyond 4 door limit, ie special door limit breach - again).
-room 52, picking up the second jar will spawn the key on the left jar instead of the jar you picked up (also in PW original)
-1 key too much in the dungeon (2 actually now that one key-door is not working
; but still the dungeon can be solved

-Hyrule castle area, left entrance: again Link enters on 448 instead of 472 Y coordinate (but got tired of fixing those)
-Vitrous boss slime problem+ palette problem (jellow colour until he fires a lightning)

-ice world village, far right-down bushes should not be on screen transit, if you travel up, you land in bushes
-Saria's gardens, first key door in again glitched - you walk through locked door due to key-door limit breach
-Saria's gardens - 1 key too much in the dungeon

-Ruto's fortress: end rooms: 2 doors with a big key: if you unlock one you can come around and then travel down and falsly through the locked door from above
-Ruto's fortress: boss does not have shutter door
-Sheik: blowing up a door which leads to big key will make no hole on the other side (again false door code: ie special doors limit breach - since only 4 are special doors are allowed per room)

-Parallel Tower: where you light the torch to see floor: this floor has a half unit of pit between floor and right fence: this is not allowed: result is permastuck if you touch this pit. It should be no pit, or 2 units of pit (to fall down)
-end credits don't have the version update
-Second quest: 2 final rooms are glitched looking (specially on snes9x and real hardware, due to having too much objects in the room)

-Major scroll bug: when traveling from area 28 (witch) to 21 (Luppo quary) in light and dark world: reason: area transit to close to upper area corner: basically such transits should be as far away as possible from the middle point: solution is: close "upper" transit section (ie between a wall and the ridge) and aloow on the bottom one= between ridge and bottom ledge. Note: this bug is in the original PW as well, since it is a result of overworld editing.

But this bug does not trigger so lightly, that's why it was missed. To make it: go far down in Lupo Quarry, then far up: now when traveling down, go to left area in the most upper horizontal and then back to Lupo (false scroll will make a massive gfx bug, since it will now load parts of dark world on false gfx and pals)

-certain jumps down from ledges will land Link on bushed or even in a wall in Lupo Quarry
-Wallmaster grabs you in the dark room and put you to entrance= now it is all dark (game will not allow dark room as starting room, if this is where you land from a walmaster "pick-up").

But still I don't think this is worth fixing, since most dungeons need a overhaul anyway to be on par with ALTTP. And the game can be solved despite all these remaining things. Basically they are either not directly messing with the gameplay, or are difficult to reproduce (unless you do them deliberately).
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

The Legend of Zelda - Parallel Worlds Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

The Legend of Zelda - Parallel Worlds :: Comments

Puzzledude

Post Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 14:31 by Puzzledude

qwertymodo wrote:Did you make these fixes in asm? Can you send them to me? I have a few fixes, like the dark room/wallmaster one.
In made all fixes via Hex, with the Hex editor and I did record all changes in a txt document: which basically has the Hex/PC address listed and then the old code and the new code to overwrite the old one (sometimes only the new code is in), there is also a lot of comments and studying:

List of updates from 1.20 to 1.23 (in a txt file/hex changes):
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5202

You can also take the version 1.20 and the 1.23, and then hex compare them with a hex editor: then you will see all changes: but you need to basically ignore the monologue code: E0000 (block is 8000) and the 75F40 (block is 14C0), as the monologues were shifter due to one monologue edit= bed monologue which now lists that the game version is 1.23.

Due note: that the 1.23 was tested on both quests. I obviously have no ambition to change the game further - as this will require another play-through on both quests... (while I'm aware which problems still exist).

Last edited by Puzzledude on Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 14:46; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

qwertymodo

Post Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 14:45 by qwertymodo

Yeah, I'm not really wanting to make a lot more changes, but it looks like you already fixed several things I had slated for the 1.3 update, like your much more thorough fix of Darunia's Cavern (I suspected that there could be other issues there, but I opted to try and get that single game-breaker out the door immediately rather than wait to fully debug, getting stuck in another room, at least you can warp back to the beginning, as annoying as that is, it's not a game-breaker like not being able to proceed normally). I'll go ahead and do a hex compare, and try to get 1.3 finished up soon.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 14:51 by Puzzledude

I'll go ahead and do a hex compare, and try to get 1.3 finished up soon.
Yes, otherwise the changes I made are also listed and explained here:
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5202

Back to top Go down

qwertymodo

Post Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 15:28 by qwertymodo

I'll be keeping the Master Sword code and fixing the overlay, rather than reverting it like you did.  I worked really hard on that code, so I want to keep it (but obviously I want it to work correctly).

I'll take a look at your exit coordinate change.  I changed it to an exception list because PW's exits don't follow the original design associated with that original code, in terms of which exits are houses/caves/stairs/etc, so it was easiest to simply write new code to match.  I must have missed one in the list.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 15:50 by Puzzledude

I'll be keeping the Master Sword code and fixing the overlay, rather than reverting it like you did.  I worked really hard on that code, so I want to keep it (but obviously I want it to work correctly).
That's why the txt also contains the invert of the code, incase you want to put it back (and fix that lake overlay problem additionally). Same is valid for day/night palettes.

I'll take a look at your exit coordinate change.
I basically wanted to make it the same for all automated exits and change the subtract to 8 (instead of 16) units, which works better. Specially because of this: try to hold the sword while facing left, move up into the cave entrance, release sword - now you will enter much higher up. The game will now even subtract 16 from this value, which will exit you far too much up.

But like said, I have no intention to change the game further, so you are free to do changes to you liking.

Back to top Go down

qwertymodo

Post Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 14:05 by qwertymodo

Just curious, which chest did you use for the Cane of Byrna in the Icy World? I was planning on putting it in the heart container chest in Darunia's Cavern.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 14:38 by Puzzledude

I've put Byrna in room 268 (this is the cave where you get the Ether, so you can not miss it).
Thus 2 chests with the treasure: Byrna (alt is HPiece) are in: light world (secret meadow), ice world (a small pyramid area, that you enter through Impa's ways).

But like said, you have free choice to put it anywhere you want, since (like I said before) I have no interest in changing the game further.

In your case thus the alt-treasure is then changed to a full Heartcontainer (instead of Heartpiece).

Put Byrna in room 268 (dark world)
E976:
17 --> 18

Define alternative treasure for Byrna to be Heart piece
Table is at: 3B528 and is 4C (76 in dec) long.

Byrna is 18 (24 dec) and HPiece is 17 (23 dec)

Thus Byrna is 24 dec starting from 00, so 25th byte in the table is alt for Byrna.

thus
3B540:
FF --> 17
sets alt treasure for Byrna to be HPiece

Back to top Go down

qwertymodo

Post Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 15:32 by qwertymodo

Yeah, I had considered that chest, but the problem there is that if you do get the cane in the Icy World, then it renders the far chest in the Halls of Pain worthless since it just becomes a heart piece, and the game has extra heart pieces, so there's no need to collect it. By using the heart container instead, that chest is still valuable.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 7 Apr 2017 - 6:04 by Hylian_Lord

How Do I Patch This New Version So I Can Play It In The ZSNES Emulator

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 7 Apr 2017 - 7:23 by Puzzledude

Hylian_Lord wrote:How Do I Patch This New Version So I Can Play It In The ZSNES Emulator
-Download the zip archive,
-Extract zip,
-Open UPS patcher folder,
-Open Tsukuyomi_UPS_Patcher
-Select Apply patch to an existing file,
-Under Ups patch file to apply press browse and select the Parallel_Worlds_v1.23_Patch.ups
-Under Target file to apply patch to browse to the original A Link to the Past.smc file with no header (thus 1.024KB). If 1.025 then it is a headered file and it will not work
-Press the Apply patch

Your original file has changed into the hacked file. Rename it from ALTTP to PW to avoid false SRM save loading.

Note: UPS is more advanced than IPS and will not allow patching if your original rom is not the correct one, ie it will cancel patching if you have the EU, Japan roms or headered roms.

If you have an US headered rom, open it with a hex editor and delete the first 200 bytes in hex (mostly 00 bytes) to get a correct non headered file.

Correctly patched rom can be played in ZSNES or any other SNES emulator/device of your choice.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 28 Apr 2017 - 14:29 by Shadman19

Great work everyone thanks so much for doing what you do. I love this updated version and fixes. Yipee the shovel !! Fixed boomerangs debacle !!

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 28 Apr 2017 - 18:19 by Puzzledude

Shadman19 wrote:Great work everyone thanks so much for doing what you do. I love this updated version and fixes. Yipee the shovel !! Fixed boomerangs debacle !!
And Byrna obtainable in Light or Dark world via the method of secondary/alternative treasure in chests. And you can now box the soldiers in Guardhause with hands to stun them, since you don't have the sword!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 8:00 by Conn

...and I think the lamp can burn enemies now Wink

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 11 May 2017 - 17:09 by Shadman19

Love how you can switch directions while running too, great!

Strange glitch I found in the parallel tower dark world. Near the beginning in room where you fight the 3 sand worms while avoiding the magic spell which turns you into a pink bunny. Get turned into the bunny then head north and again head north up the stairs. Link turns invisible in this room(I thought it froze at first) then going south into next room Link appears again but isn't wearing the red mail. It's now green...

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 25 May 2017 - 8:49 by Puzzledude

Strange glitch I found in the parallel tower dark world. Near the beginning in room where you fight the 3 sand worms while avoiding the magic spell which turns you into a pink bunny. Get turned into the bunny then head north and again head north up the stairs. Link turns invisible in this room(I thought it froze at first) then going south into next room Link appears again but isn't wearing the red mail. It's now green...
You can not fix this actually, since the bunny is not compatible with the walking on the stairs which go to the upper or lower level. The only way to prevent this would be to remove the transform sprite which transforms you into bunny, which is easy doable, but not really something I would want to implement, since there are various other small faults like this one.

There also is no logic, since the transform is usually hitting you early on, well before defeating the worms and well before the door is opened. You thus in theory should not ever be able to reach the upper staircase in the next room in bunny form, within the time limit. You should tranform back to Link a lot sooner. But I forgot if qwerty made the worms not respawn and the beam does respawn, in which case it would be possible.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 17 Jul 2017 - 7:23 by PHOSPHOTiDYL

Hi, new user coming from metroidconstruction.
I just started playing Parallel Worlds v1.23.

I encountered a bug with one of the rooms in the guardhouse sewers.
Not sure of the room number.

You push the shelf, room with the large chest, room with bats, room with snakes & down the stairs, room with the spikes, then the next room.

The top shutter door wasn't opening when killing the two snakes in the room.
I saw a post from Puzzledude about bg3 door layer priority.

Maybe it's a room header pointer @ 027566, dw $F929.
Then @ 027929 is 01 07 01 01 00 17 00 08 00 00.
Changing bytes to 01 07 01 01 00 08 00 17 00 00 gets the door open.

Tested on snes9x 1.54.1.
Maybe I'm the only one who's encountering it.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 17 Jul 2017 - 7:42 by Puzzledude

No, this is actually correct, since this is the way back, as Euclid made it.

Basically when you come from the big spike room, you need to do this:
1.) you have a small room first with a pit. There is a small button on the floor just left of the door you came in. Press this button on the floor (step on it) and the upper door will open.

Going right will result in "dead end".

2.) Now make it through the small maze full of rats and bats to the staircase. In this maze when you go right, you will see a "trick door". Going through it will land you in that room with 2 snakes. Euclid made a lot of such "back routes".

I saw a post from Puzzledude about bg3 door layer priority.

Maybe it's a room header pointer @ 027566, dw $F929.
Then @ 027929 is 01 07 01 01 00 17 00 08 00 00.
Changing bytes to 01 07 01 01 00 08 00 17 00 00 gets the door open.
Also, don't change those bytes at 027566, as these are not pointers to bg layer priority. This section controls the room header properties and this must not be changed, since you are editing the command: push button to open, into: defeat all to open, which essentially is not debugging, but rather re-editing the room. But you edited 2 bytes, so no idea what else was edited.

Room layer properties must be edited in the actual room code, which for this room would be around 120000 and on. Since the room only has 2 complex doors (4 is at max), this is not a problem, as custom doors won't work above 4.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 17 Jul 2017 - 9:21 by PHOSPHOTiDYL

Puzzledude wrote:Also, don't change those bytes at 027566, as these are not pointers to bg layer priority.

The pointer @ 027566 was left alone.
Those are room header pointers starting @ 027502?
On an unheadered rom.

The switch also wasn't activating.
This would be the room before going right, to the dead end.

I'll just assume it was 64-bit snes9x, cause 32-bit is working.
No issues with Parallel Worlds 1.20.

The room layer properties though.
Very useful information, thanks!

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 17 Jul 2017 - 10:19 by Puzzledude

The switch also wasn't activating.
No idea, what's up here, since obviosuly it should be activating, since this was tested. You might want to recheck the hash of the original rom you patched to, as well as the hash of the patched rom. Otherwise this is hardly the emulation issue, as the game has info on opening this door uppon button press. There should be no difference in 32 and 64 bit of snes9x emulation vise, other than compatibility with Windows.

Those are room header pointers starting @ 027502?
Yes. Basically at 27502 (unheadered rom) you have 2 byte pointers, which point just after these pointers end. If you open a regular ALTTP in Hyrule Magic and go to dungeon editor. These are the values which are listed in the upmost section.

I decoded this a while back in my dungeon hex info document. If you are interested:

Code:
6.) ROOM HEADER PROPERTIES

*Primary pointer at B5DC
Code BF, 02 F5 04, 85 0D, E2 20 C2 10, A9 04

02 F5 04 points to 27502

04 defines the global bank. Can be realocated anywhere between 0 and 400000.
For instance BF, 02 F5 24, 85 0D, E2 20 C2 10, A9 24; new address is 127502.

*Secondary pointers at:
27502 (block is 280)

*Data at:
27782 (block is 87E)

*Pointers + data
27502 (block is AFE)

*Pointer read
82 F7 = F7 82 = 04 F7 82 = 27782

*Header code (14 bytes maximum)

1st byte,
bg properties + collision

2nd byte,   3rd byte,   4th byte,   5th byte,     6th byte,   7th byte
PAL         BLK         EnemyBLK    Room effect   Tag1        Tag2

8th byte
Plane properties for hole/warp and staircase 1, 2, 3

9th byte
Plane properties for staircase 4

10th byte,   11th byte,    12th byte,    13th byte,    14th byte.
hole/warp    staircase1    staircase2    staircase3    staircase4.

This is essentialy related to room transit values as a part of a room header.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 17 Jul 2017 - 11:02 by PHOSPHOTiDYL

Maybe it was the rom then?
I did have to use another source vs. trusted old ones that have removed the links.

Also very interested in the dungeon info, thank you.
I wouldn't have found that collision bit by accident.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 12 Oct 2017 - 17:02 by Pamfafoofle

The rom file we need to apply the patch to is the US rom, smc file, no header (1.024KB), correct? For those of us who are ignorant about coding, could someone give step-by-step instructions on how to convert a rom to the proper format? I have a 1.024 US sfc rom, and I have a 1.025 US smc rom. Neither is accepted by the patching program that comes with the PW1.23 download (first one says checksum is invalid, second one says file is invalid). Simply renaming the file extension from .sfc to .smc does not seem to work. Which file is easier for a non-coder like me to convert, and how do I do so?

Back to top Go down

qwertymodo

Post Thu 12 Oct 2017 - 17:33 by qwertymodo

Unfortunately, v1.23 was released in .ups format. .bps would have fixed this automatically. The simple solution would be to use a tool like this to remove the header on your ROM and try again: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 13 Oct 2017 - 6:35 by Puzzledude

It doesn't matter if the file is sfc or smc, what matters is the content. The US rom with 1.024KB and with the CRC32: 777AAC2F checksum is the correct one, you just need to download the original ALTTP, which is SMC by default, if the renamed SFC doesn't work for you.

I used UPS instead of IPS, since IPS would produce bugged roms. BPS is pretty much an unknown format, which the majority doesn't know what program to use to patch it.

Also, do note that byuu is forcing some orthodox SFC, which are "pured" from SMC, whatever that means. Such files will not work obviously. SMC has always been a standard, no matter how illogical this sounds.

If you rename the sfc into smc and the checksum is 777AAC2F, the patching should work, but I assume you checksum is different. Anyway the patch was made using the standard ALTTP rom, from which almost all hacks/patches for this game are made.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 13 Oct 2017 - 6:53 by Puzzledude

Neither is accepted by the patching program that comes with the PW1.23 download
Which is a good thing. Pathcing both roms will result in the bugged rom, since both a false original roms.

I have a 1.025 US smc rom
But that's easy. Copy paste this rom, and remove the header on the copy (to preserve the headered rom). Open the rom in any freeware hex editor select the first 200 bytes (512 in dec) with the value 00 and press Del+save. Or use the Tush utility under Utilities on Romhacking site. Once you load the rom in the program, it will tell you: this file is headered, remove header?, press yes+save.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next