Official-Art-based Link

Go down

Official-Art-based Link Empty Official-Art-based Link

Official-Art-based Link Link10
A lot of the time Link's hair gets changed to blonde or brown or whatever. After looking at the official art, I felt that maybe Nintendo intended on Link's hair being "orange" but maybe mixed up the palette.
So I altered Link's.... pixels? to better match this art:
Official-Art-based Link 1091bddd727ad02e6a42a5f15edd68c2
Crucify me if you must.
I shall go back to hiding now.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, this isn't meant to be some majestic work. It's more or less to stir up ideas.
kingcj1994
Newcomer

Since : 2014-09-30

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Official-Art-based Link :: Comments

Post Thu 1 Jun 2017 - 0:09 by Mr.x

Why was the hair originally pink?

Back to top Go down

SunGodPortal

Post Thu 1 Jun 2017 - 1:08 by SunGodPortal

That's a good question. I can't imagine why.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 0:03 by kingcj1994

I like to imagine the developers said "oops, his hair is pink, we misplaced some stuff," "Eh, it's good enough," and they just kinda threw it in like that.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 1:36 by Mr.x

Best explanation I could find:

Because colours would bleed in to each other on old CRT TVs, if he had a brown shield, and peach skin, and brown or yellow hair his skin would blend in to his hair and then in to his shield. A lot of SNES games tried to have only very different colours next to eachother

Also, Bunny Link and normal Link have different palettes, no?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 7:33 by Puzzledude

Also, Bunny Link and normal Link have different palettes, no?
Yes, they do. It is now thus proven that Link's pink hair is Not the result of the shared palettes with the pink bunny. The reson for his pink hair is unknown (to be more in contrast with surounding colours is one possible reason).

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 7 Jun 2017 - 22:38 by kingcj1994

Puzzledude wrote:to be more in contrast with surounding colours is one possible reason

If this was the case, would Link having orange hair blend in too much with his skin tone? or even the fairy shield?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 9 Jun 2017 - 8:09 by Puzzledude

If this was the case, would Link having orange hair blend in too much with his skin tone? or even the fairy shield?
On new age monitors, that are around nowadays I think you can make his hair in any colour and it would be ok.

Back to top Go down

K4yr4h

Post Sun 19 Aug 2018 - 16:00 by K4yr4h

this is not the palette used in the redux version, right? because link is missing a red head when pulling stuff, so id prefer this version. is it compatible and how to install it in the first place?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sun 19 Aug 2018 - 20:28 by Puzzledude

K4yr4h wrote:this is not the palette used in the redux version, right? because link is missing a red head when pulling stuff, so id prefer this version. is it compatible and how to install it in the first place?
"Compatible" with what. This is just GFX editing and you can insert/alter the GFX of any ALTTP hack with this gfx. I believe only PALs were altered actually, which makes it even more easy. You however don't "install" it, you just insert the upper GFX using YYchr, but like said not even this is necessary, since only PALs are changed. Thus this is a one byte change in the rom and needs only a hex editor, nothing else. You can just choose any colour for the hair. You can use this colour here with a standard picture editor to simply extract the exact same colour as here.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 Aug 2018 - 17:22 by kingcj1994

K4yr4h wrote:this is not the palette used in the redux version
My assumption would be no but I haven't messed with the redux version.
I didn't change the palette at all from the original when working on this sprite sheet. I manually exported, edited, and imported the sprites. All I used was:
Hyrule Magic, (to export/insert... I know... blasphemous)
Graphics Gale (to keep the palette intact) and
Paint.NET (to do the editing)

Back to top Go down