Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 5 Empty Re: Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)

Post by Conn Fri 26 Jan 2018 - 20:25

Sorry, with all the traffic here it happens that I miss posts.
I never made any pcm so I'm of no help, I only create the code. Your music sounds great, though it is (of course) a spc - what is the word? - resamblence? I surely will post your set among the 10 others we have once you are done Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 5 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 5 Empty Re: Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)

Post by VideogameScrapbook Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 14:02

Conn wrote:An "interesting" thing about this patch, I read at youtube comments that some sfx are speeding up, like changing the character. I then tried a direct comparison (opened 2 snes9x emulators, one with msu, the other native spc and switched parallel) and noticed that all sfx are indeed a bit different.

But: most are somehow better and clearer imo alone the short sfx when getting a banana. I think this has to do with how I muted the spc (in the apu routine).

Since I find it better, I'd like to hear other opinions about it; if people consider it worse I may look for an alternative way to mute. Kurrono e.g., had an interesting finding in TG3 (disabling 2142 instead of 2140) which might work here as well (I'm only speculating, haven't tried).

It's definitely worse in my opinion. I spent a few hours trying to figure out how to solve what I thought was an inaccurate sound settings emulator issue to fix the super quick SFX until I realized it was the rom itself. I was about to provide comparison evidence but before I posted I scrolled through the comments and saw you already knew about it. Please fix it, this is a lot of peoples' favorite audio for a SNES game and it's too bad the only option right now is for the SFX to take a hit when wanting to enhance the music.

Also to give further context to my previous posts, I've been working with Jammin' Sam Miller (BlueTronic is actually his old pseudonym) on creating an MSU pack for his "Restored Tracks" using uncompressed audio with perfect loop points from his project files. And he has been talking with the original composer David Wise about the sources of the original uncompressed music before it was downconverted for SNES hardware. Ideally he wants to restore the full soundtrack (about half is done so far). Until he can finish every track, is there a way for a partial soundtrack to fallback to the original SPC whenever a PCM file is missing but play a PCM file whenever it exists?

VideogameScrapbook
Rope
Rope

Since : 2014-11-12

http://www.VideogameScrapbook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 14:24

You are very welcomed to try to find a better way to mute music - I tried and can't.
No, I also can't give a spc fallback as the complete music is muted.

Thumbs up to your spc restoration!
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by VideogameScrapbook Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 15:38

Conn wrote:You are very welcomed to try to find a better way to mute music - I tried and can't.
No, I also can't give a spc fallback as the complete music is muted.

Thumbs up to your spc restoration!

Thanks Conn for trying. Can you confirm that you already tried disabling 2142 instead of 2140 based on TG3's finding you cited?
Conn wrote:Kurrono e.g., had an interesting finding in TG3 (disabling 2142 instead of 2140) which might work here as well (I'm only speculating, haven't tried)

VideogameScrapbook
Rope
Rope

Since : 2014-11-12

http://www.VideogameScrapbook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 16:49

Yes, won't work, the hardcore apu mute was the only way I managed to get a clear spc mute. Maybe another hacker finds a better solution one day. This mute leads to the apu less busy resulting that sfx are played faster. Most people don't find that annoying, just unused. Myself, as said, find it even better. But I also understand that you want the original for your restoration project, but... unfortunately, I can't help Sad
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by daniloroxette Fri 23 Mar 2018 - 17:43

daniloroxette
daniloroxette

Donkey Kong Country 1 (Finished)  - Page 5 Image110

Since : 2017-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 23 Mar 2018 - 21:05

Thanks, I posted it here:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1484-donkey-kong-country-1#21731
(last entry, sorry, there are so many already  Very Happy  Embarassed )

BTW, could you also update:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1598-donkey-kong-country-3
Just reupload the realpack somewhere before you take a deserved break Smile ... I just don't like broken links Sad
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 14:19

I hope VideogameScrapbook is continuing with BlueTronic's remasters - this project appears also promising Very Happy
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2230
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5