Donkey Kong Country 1

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Donkey Kong Country 1

IPS Patch:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/dkc_msu_patch.zip
supports V1.2 (USA), V1.1(E), (Europe+Kremlings Revenge)

Mercurial Magic Pack:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?za51slnq6apim2v
supports V1.2 (USA), Original Resamblence pcm pack and bps patch is in this msu1 package included and ready to use

PCM packs:

DKC - Original Resemblance by Qwertymodo

DKC - Dubstep Mix by PittStone

DKC - Kremlings Revenge Remodel by PittStone

DKC - EPIC by PittStone

DKC - Chill Out Zones by PittStone

DKC - Cool Mix by PittStone

DKC - JAZZ by PittStone

DKC - Retro-Wave by PittStone

DKC - Returns by daniloroxette
Preview:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfSkqQX78k

Last edited by Conn on Fri 23 Mar 2018 - 21:03; edited 8 times in total
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Donkey Kong Country 1 :: Comments

Post on Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 5:59 by Conn

Something you should report to Ikari if older firmware versions work with your controller/receiver. Hapy it is solved Smile

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 31 Jan 2018 - 18:21 by VideogameScrapbook

Just in case a skilled rom hacker wants to help fix an issue where the sound effects play faster than they should with this MSU hack (most noticeable when switching Kongs), here is some information from Conn who was unable to figure out a solution: "Yes, won't work, the hardcore apu mute was the only way I managed to get a clear spc mute. Maybe another hacker finds a better solution one day. This mute leads to the apu less busy resulting that sfx are played faster. Most people don't find that annoying, just unused. Myself, as said, find it even better. But I also understand that you want the original for your restoration project, but... unfortunately, I can't help "

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 28 Sep 2018 - 4:34 by JUD6MENT

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else excited for all the new Donkey Kong Country love being represented in smash bro Ultimate? I love the King K Rool Theme in his release trailer. Im going to do some new PCM tracks for this game this winter when the game comes out and I have full access to the soundtracks in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Jicw_RWNI

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 28 Sep 2018 - 16:01 by Conn

Cool we only have 9 packs by now, one further surely is necessary Very Happy Though I admit, sounds awesome!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 3:16 by JUD6MENT

I probably wont do an entire album, just a few fun new tracks to swap if someone wanted to.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 4:34 by qwertymodo

Conn, I just wanted to let you know that I ended up using this method of SPC muting in Chrono Trigger, which I hadn't even considered before, so thank you for posting this.  It made the Chrono Trigger code SO much cleaner and less bug-prone.  I was able to make 3 fairly major improvements to the overall method though, so I thought I'd provide feedback in case it might be useful to you.

First of all, the code I overwrote changed the data access and not the execution path, so no timings were modified.

e.g.
lda {VOLUME_VARIABLE}
sta {VOLUME_REGISTER}

was changed to

lda #$00
sta {VOLUME_REGISTER}

Second, thanks to the wonderful disassembly from MathOnNapkins, I was able to decipher the data upload routines used to load new songs into the SPC.  I used these routines to upload my simple code hijack, which then allowed me to mute and unmute at will, by uploading either my muted version or the original code.

Third, the data upload routines were hard-coded to only allow uploads with a target address within the intended song data address range, so I had to modify those hard-coded ranges in order to allow me to upload data to the code range.  This part was specific to Chrono Trigger, but should be directly applicable to any SquareSoft game, and might be similarly implemented in other engines, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Unfortunately, my ability to do this relied quite heavily on all of the fantastic disassembly work that MathOnNapkins had already done for Chrono Trigger's SPC engine, so it may prove to be far more work than it is worth to try going down that road from scratch.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 6:53 by Conn

Conn, I just wanted to let you know that I ended up using this method of SPC muting in Chrono Trigger,
Sounds great! But which method did you use?

Are you making progress in the video and such?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 20:04 by qwertymodo

I meant the method of muting the SPC by actually modifying the code running on the SPC itself, rather than doing it entirely on the SNES CPU side. That was something I hadn't even considered trying on my previous hacks.

Still working on the video, little by little.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 5:43 by Conn

Did you find any volume registers in the spc? I remember I searched hard for them... I usually mute the spc by nopping out code there.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 9:32 by qwertymodo

Yes there are multiple volume registers (actually in the DSP, so it's tricky to trace writes to them). There's a master volume, and a per-channel volume. You need to trace the per-channel ones, otherwise you'll mute the SFX along with the music. In Chrono Trigger, I was able to trace out the variable in RAM where they were storing the volume for the current song (there were actually 4 of them), and then the code went something like this:
Code:

for(i=0; i<8; ++i) {
if channel(1<<i) & music_channel // this channel is playing music, not SFX

channel_volume_reg[i] = song_volume * song_fade * channel_volume[i] * channel_volume[i];
}

I just replaced the song_volume value with a constant 0 (lda song_volume -> lda #$00), and then everything after was multiplied by 0, giving an end result of 0. Granted, this solution was specific to this engine, but there's probably something similar for other engines.

Last edited by qwertymodo on Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 19:33; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 14:08 by Conn

Oh wow, amazing. If you one time have the time/energy/will you may want to look into DKC (the patch of this topic) if you can find anything similar. Myy patch leads to sfx acceleration, with which some people are unhappy and disturbed (though I have no problem with it). Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum