Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 Empty Re: Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 May 2018 - 13:18

Actually I believe that I have experienced this multiple times when using Speed and transitioning between these screens in this street area. For example this has happened to me going from Tingle to Sony screens, but I was never able to reproduce in a consistent way until now.

Remember in the original game you were never allowed to go this fast.

Also it seems that the dash knock back is different when on overworlds vs dungeons. On overworlds there is not knock back when you dash and collide into a wall but in dungeons there is.

Also I did you know that regular arrows don't hurt zombies but silver arrows kill zombies in one hit?
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 19 May 2018 - 16:24

I may look into it but there's little hope I will fix. Just want to get rid of conker more or less and do not intend to release a 1.9 parallel to other projects like yours. Also this bug may involve basic collision routines(where tinkering may cause horrible bugs) and it's negligible. There's hardly a chance that anybody who is not called Erock triggers it (given the minimal chance to have all 3 parameters at the same time: speed, dash and shift at the corner). Just don't do this Wink

I'm not familiar with attack classes of enemies. There are parameters, where you can set which enemies are vulnerable to which weapons
Conn
Conn

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 May 2018 - 17:39

So sometimes I add in a new object and when I start the game the beginning screen looks like this.

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 GoqGvRJ

I don't get it. I know that I've been told 30% of all dungeons must be empty or something and I know there is a limit on how many tiles can be used.

But yeah, I keep on getting this issue and don't understand why so if you know then let me know what is going on here.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 May 2018 - 18:03

I may look into it but there's little hope I will fix.

this bug may involve basic collision routines

What I like about you Conn is that you are always looking for a programming solution while I am always looking for a design solution.

For example if this is the ONLY place where this can happen a simple design solution would be to place an NPC character at the edge of the building so that dashing there isn't allowed.

This would work for a one off case, but if there are many cases it might not be that practical. In real video game development we would just create a custom invisible sprite or block that would make you crash into the building instead of slipping past causing the bug in the first place.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 May 2018 - 18:35

Also what does all of this mean?

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 MjQToHY

What does bad rom mean?

What does CRC32 mean?

Why are my CRC32 numbers always different everytime I edit the game?

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 19 May 2018 - 20:42

Jupp, I suggest you find out whether it is the only place this happens. I briefly checked sony substation, and there it is normal

I think the crc is the hash value calculated out of all bytes, means a single byte change will make the checksum fail.
To repair it use this tool:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/499/
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 May 2018 - 21:55

Thanks Conn.

Here is also something I noticed. If you use the speed powerup you can actually run right over that feather gap in retro dungeon if you dash into the hole you actual get stuck until the speed wears off.

Of course nothing needs to be fixed here, but for speed running purposes this could be useful.

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 May 2018 - 23:54

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 5nsGfg9
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 20 May 2018 - 14:37

What does bad rom mean?
CRC of the file does not match the calculated CRC via 2 bytes, which are still of the original game. Fixing this is with the upper program, but usually all hacks ignore this, since all emus and other devices also ignore this. Unless you want to have the message good rom, that's the only difference if you fix this. But note: this must be fixed with every edit of the rom.

What does CRC32 mean?
Cyclic redundancy check, ie an ID of the file, calculated with a special method to figuere out the exact version of a file.

Why are my CRC32 numbers always different everytime I edit the game?
You edited the game, thus you changed the file. Thus after every edit the file is no longer the same as it was before, thus its ID is different.

Regarding your bugs: the speed up injection is a bad idea from a debug perspective, since such speed is not meant for the player and can cause various bugs, usually collision. For instance, make the player go twice fast via cheat in the original game, you might not enter the caves and houses correctly. Something similar is happening here: go through houses, across pits etc.

Your first room gfx bug is probably a result of the "overload", basically the indoor hex space gets stuffed up and the game bugs. No way around but a backup. I hope now people can respect all the known finished hacks of this game, specially considering the poor and bugged tools currently available for modding.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Floki Sun 20 May 2018 - 16:35

Erockbrox wrote:
So sometimes I add in a new object and when I start the game the beginning screen looks like this.

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 GoqGvRJ

I don't get it. I know that I've been told 30% of all dungeons must be empty or something and I know there is a limit on how many tiles can be used.

But yeah, I keep on getting this issue and don't understand why so if you know then let me know what is going on here.

Okay it looks like if I add too many object in a room this is the result. Strange, can anyone confirm this? Puzz, Seph?

The tilesets screwing up like that happens as a result of no longer having dungeon free tiles...

Here's my own way to avoid that:

-Each time you want to save a room, don't save your rom right away!

-First use the arrow keys in the top menu to go to the room next to it, it'll ask use if you wanna save, just say yes...

-Now if the other room graphics are fine, you can proceed with saving your rom!

-If the other room graphics looks screwed up, it means you no longer have free objects and you might want to erase some of them before saving your game. Just remove a couple objects and use the arrow keys to move to another room like before, until the tilesets are fine again...then you can save your game to avoid that stuffed up bug!

^^Kinda painful, but that's how its done.

Do note the old hm version told you when you were out of dungeon tiles, but this new version doesnt tell you, so you have to be more careful before saving your game (especially if you are near out of dungeon tiles)!

Floki

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 20 May 2018 - 18:07

Regarding your bugs: the speed up injection is a bad idea from a debug perspective, since such speed is not meant for the player and can cause various bugs, usually collision. For instance, make the player go twice fast via cheat in the original game, you might not enter the caves and houses correctly. Something similar is happening here: go through houses, across pits etc.
I tried to trace it and failed.
But my mind came to a much easier solution: I simply disable dash when on speed (solves also your gap freeze). I will release a patch for that in a short while and you can apply it on your version.
I'll add it to 1.8 (->1.81) as well I guess.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 20 May 2018 - 19:26

Ok I fixed it:

v 1.2.8a:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1337-conker-s-high-rule-tail-v1-2-8a

Not elegant, but working. When on speed you cannot dash, you just won't move.

Here's the patch to directly apply on your rom, Erock. All other who make a spin-off should apply this patch too, so that this bug won't appear.

Last edited by Conn on Mon 21 May 2018 - 5:39; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 20 May 2018 - 20:51

If I am out of dungeon tiles then so be it.

Also I swear that I tried to add some more tiles to one room and got this bug, but then I found some other room that let me add in more dungeon tiles.

So when you reach this upper limit is it globally enforced or just for a particular dungeon tile set or something?

But yeah, I'll still check the rest of the game to see if I can add more tiles where needed but if I can't then good news because then I'm basically done then. If the game is going to fight THIS hard back at me then SCREW it.

Also Conn thanks for the patch fix, but I honestly really like dashing while having the speed pill so I might just keep it the way it is. Maybe Seph might want to use it in his version though.

*** actually the first time i tried to fix the door ways i added in a bunch of tiles, so i may go back and painstankingly try and relocate them and then delete them freeing up space. ......... this fu*king game........

Last edited by Erockbrox on Sun 20 May 2018 - 21:16; edited 1 time in total
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 20 May 2018 - 20:53

I need help on this part guys.

In this room if you clear all the enemies then the chest appears. But I want the chest to always appear and not have a special tag. How do I make it so that this chest just always appears in this room just like all the other objects in this room? Thanks.

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 DF9hkcp

I tried to change the tag to "nothing" but then the same thing happened. It appeared only after I killed all the enemies.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 20 May 2018 - 21:01

In this room if you clear all the enemies then the chest appears. But I want the chest to always appear and not have a special tag. How do I make it so that this chest just always appears in this room? Thanks.
Change the tag1 to nothing.

I tried to change the tag to "nothing" but then the same thing happened. It appeared only after I killed all the enemies.
That's because either: your room header is full and changing it did nothing in reality, or the previous value was still in RAM. If you open the Rom with correct HM (ie HM new, which can handle unlimited room header) and the room header data was moved to expanded space, than changing this tag to nothing should work in any case, in-game as well.

But if you open it with standard HM, it will load the 27502 location, which is not pointed to, so what you see in this HM is not actually executed by the game. This is so, since HM doesn't read pointers.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sun 20 May 2018 - 21:08; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 20 May 2018 - 21:06

So when you reach this upper limit is it globally enforced or just for a particular dungeon tile set or something?
Globally, although there is more than one data bank for indoor objects.

But yeah, I'll still check the rest of the game to see if I can add more tiles where needed but if I can't then good news because then I'm basically done then. If the game is going to fight THIS hard back at me then SCREW it.
No, than you just go to hex gluing method, which can handle "unlimited" objects, in this case the limit is actually set by the emulation/real hardware device and those have a limit too, per room even, which you can see in PW second quest. The room at the very end after Ganon, which has 2 layers, one normal and the "fake" layer on top, having twice as many objects than normal. Even with Euclid's code which essentially is hex gluing in its own way, the emu snes9x can not handle it, and will go to gfx bug as result, Zsnes can handle it though.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 20 May 2018 - 21:18

Thank God your not retired yet Puzzledude!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 20 May 2018 - 22:12

Puzzledude wrote:
In this room if you clear all the enemies then the chest appears. But I want the chest to always appear and not have a special tag. How do I make it so that this chest just always appears in this room? Thanks.
Change the tag1 to nothing.

That's because either: your room header is full and changing it did nothing in reality, or the previous value was still in RAM. If you open the Rom with correct HM (ie HM new, which can handle unlimited room header) and the room header data was moved to expanded space, than changing this tag to nothing should work in any case, in-game as well.

But if you open it with standard HM, it will load the 27502 location, which is not pointed to, so what you see in this HM is not actually executed by the game. This is so, since HM doesn't read pointers.

I just tested this on real hardware and it did indeed work. Maybe something happened when I used an emulator or something.

Before I do any hex gluing I will go back in HM and check to see if I added in extra objects that arn't needed. I added some back when I first tried to fix the doors now I will go back and delete those extra objects and then continue on my quest to finish the game.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 21 May 2018 - 0:07

Here is how to soft lock the game in the 1st dungeon.

I always knew about this but thought maybe conn fixed this or something.

Rule 23 in zelda 3 hacking. Never put both a pushable block and a pushable statue in the same room.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 21 May 2018 - 0:11

Here is my solution. Just place the pushable block and chest in the room north bound.

Chest is actually hidden under the block but when it appears it above the block.

Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 NKP3KyW
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 21 May 2018 - 5:42

I somehow forget to post the patch to disable dashing on speed I think. The game crashing is hard to trigger but present.
it's up to you whether you use it or not
Attachments
Erock's Version Conker 1.2.7 - Page 9 Attachment
speeddashdisable.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 21 May 2018 - 10:46

Erockbrox wrote:Thank God your not retired yet Puzzledude!
With retirement, I just meant no more hacking, but not necessarily no more posting. I decided to still finish the Gates of Time hack though, since it is a great game already and would be a waste to not be finished.

Rule 23 in zelda 3 hacking. Never put both a pushable block and a pushable statue in the same room.
True, however the rule is actually this: a pushing statue is a sprite, which is unable to collide with other sprites, thus the rule is never put a sprite pushable statue together with any other sprite and of course indeed the pushable block as well.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 21 May 2018 - 23:40

Okay, so I've been working on this like a mad-man.

I've fixed all of the doorways that I could from dungeon 1 to retro dungeon.

What I'm doing is placing layer 2 tiles on the door ways for tiles like 040, 045, 041, 046 as these are parts for the doors.

But there is something strange, it seems that this method I'm using only works if the dungeon rooms have BG2 set to "on top", if it is set on "parallaxing" my method doesn't work.

So my question is, is there anyway to fix the doors so that the tiles have a higher priority and sword tail does not overlap tiles in doorways when set on the parallaxing setting for BG2?

Otherwise not all doorways will be fixed in my version. Thanks.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 22 May 2018 - 10:26

But there is something strange, it seems that this method I'm using only works if the dungeon rooms have BG2 set to "on top", if it is set on "parallaxing" my method doesn't work.

So my question is, is there anyway to fix the doors so that the tiles have a higher priority and sword tail does not overlap tiles in doorways when set on the parallaxing setting for BG2?
No, you can not fix this. If BG2 is parallaxing, what you insert on BG2 will be parallaxing, ie of a strange shade. This was done by original authors to come up with some special effects, like water, light through windows etc. But it is logical that the main sprite will not be covered by this layer. Only the "on top" function will cover the sprite, again meant as a special effect to cover Link when entering the dungeon-bars, ie cell, which are in-front, thus they must cover him.

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Tue 22 May 2018 - 16:43

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I noticed that when I placed an object on BG2 with parallaxing it just showed up as a lower floor type effect. But then what about layer 3? Why can't layer 3 then be used in parallaxing to cover up link? It seems as if layer 3 was just for the doors?

Also i looked in the compendulum to see if those BG2 special effects where described and i didnt really see anything explaining them. You know:

Off
Dark
Parallaxing
On top
translucent

Seph if you could in your next update to the compendulum could you explain each of these. I know you can just use trial and error, but still.

So currently I only have the Desert Temple, Dev hideout and misc rooms to fix for the doors. And then I might be DONE!!!

I'm still looking at tiny nitpicks though through out the game. Wink
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next