Darius Twin

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Darius Twin Empty Darius Twin

Credit goes to Conn's noble and surprisingly quick patches to this game. As of this moment, I consider this game done. Hopefully, no other bugs will present themselves.

MSU1 Patch v1.3 (PepilloPEV/Conn):
* all relevant and missing msu music accounted for! Thanks Conn.
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/lqA3mCzb#_dp7NhJXYzJqWTEVFZiDLFo93m5iBgoR12IbHbzO64s

PCM 'Darius Burst' set ver3 (PepilloPEV):
* added all supported PCMs leading up to Conn's latest patch fix @ v1.2
* cleaned some PCMs and found better loop points on others
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/wzxh9sfoivv2sm3e9jjgfqhj34pg9a2r

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 25 May 2020 - 18:45; edited 25 times in total
pev

Darius Twin Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Darius Twin :: Comments

smokemonster

Post Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 17:13 by smokemonster

YES!!! Well done getting us another shooter, PepilloPev Very Happy

What source is the music from?

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 17:20 by pev

smokemonster wrote:What source is the music from?

I sourced the music from Darius Burst.

Last edited by pepillopev on Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 14:23; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

smokemonster

Post Thu 11 Jan 2018 - 17:26 by smokemonster

Thanks, and well done! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 18:32 by Shiryu

Darius Burst Chronicles Saviour+ is one of my favourite shmups of all time and the whole Darius series in general is one of my favourite Taito games ever so I thank you very much for this. Something odd: I don't have any music in the intro. Am I doing something wrong?

update: no PCM sound at all on bsnes+ / no intro PCM on snes9x Ohmygod

Back to top Go down

smokemonster

Post Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 19:56 by smokemonster

This is the beta and the title screen music isn't implemented yet, as well as a few other tracks. I get sound in the MSU-1 updated SNES9X though, so you may have patched it wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 20:13 by Shiryu

I do have music on the demo levels and on level 1 on SNES9x, so if the title music isn't working yet, I guess I have everything ok. Since I saw on the video the title music playing, I assumed I was doing something wrong. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 21:05 by Conn

I think all is right, as Pev mentioned it as beta in the first post

This MSU1 patch is a work in progress, but it is fully playable to the end. Only three tracks are spc only (have not figured out the best way to implement these tracks, yet).
The tracks that have no MSU1 playback are as follows:
Title Screen, Zone Select, and Boss Theme 2 (Blue Whale Boss). The game's built in sound test now only plays MSU1 music. This patch still has no spc fallback code in it.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 21:19 by Shiryu

Ah, I believed it would fall back to the regular SPC music on the title if it was working correctly.
Keep up the good work pepillopev, I <3 shmups!

Last edited by Shiryu on Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 5:41; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 23:54 by pev

Shiryu wrote:Ah, I believe it would fall back to the regular SPC music on the title if it was working correctly.
Keep up the good work pepillopev, I <3 shmups!

Those spc tracks are only playing because they are currently not apu muted, yet. There is code in there for them but I just have not figured out how to get them to play without affecting the overall spc music. These three tracks share one important address that affects overall spc playback (audio and sfx). Coding around this limitation the wrong way affects the overall spc playback (audio and sfx all mute). Very tricky, then again, I am still an amateur coder.

I do apologize, if my description regarding 'spc fallback' was not very clear. What I meant was there is currently no code in this patch for detecting MSU1 presence. In essence, the game is currently patched for MSU1 use only (with the exception of those 3 spc tracks that play). Without the 'msu1 presence' code, the game software cannot detect the msu1 signature and decide whether to play pcm tracks or just regular spc tracks. Hopefully, this clears up the confusion.

Confused

One more thing, as I fix the code, I update the PCM set with the missing tracks. If you look at the manifest.bml file, the missing tracks are referenced there, it is just that my code does not utilize them, yet. Also, I made a reference to this issue in my pdf file.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 5:41 by Shiryu

Thanks, was working late and did not understand about those three.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 6:59 by Conn

mh, try giving
pc: 0e/8129: f0 -> d0

respectively in your asm add:

org $9d8129
db $d0

this could make the hardcore apu mute while preserving the sfx, but I am not sure whether it works for the whole game *please test*; finding this byte was try&error, the game apu code is other than those I know (at least I often got the same problem like you, sfx and spc muted, but this one worked on the first sight).
Also note that it somehow does not work with your current asm (at least I get mute sfx when changing this byte in your patched rom - while no problem when I change it on native rom)...

Edit: uh... the sfx appear but they are a bit silent after dying twice, they are on normal level Ohmygod Confused
I may look deeper.
Edit2: unfortunately it seems like I cannot do a perfect "hardcore mute" for this game, I tried several stuff and failed. I hope you find a conventional way to mute the intro and such.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 14:12 by pev

Conn wrote:...unfortunately it seems like I cannot do a perfect "hardcore mute" for this game, I tried several stuff and failed. I hope you find a conventional way to mute the intro and such.

Believe me, I tried and still occasionally trying. I was getting the exact same symptoms you described (all spc mute, low sfx volume, messed up sfx, or black screen). All this because of that address @ $008267 wanting 01 written to $2140 at this point. I had to cheat around it with my 'testMute' routine and only got the Game
Intro, Game Over, and Game Ending working this way.

This cheat routine won't work with the Game Title Screen and Zone Select (if implemented, it will kill all spc audio after leaving these screens). For now, I will leave it as is. That is, until I can cook up some other method to get around this brick wall.

For now, I am going to help Kurrono with his Aladdin issue. I need to look at something different (Darius has been giving me some serious rage fits).
Mad

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 16:05 by pev

Shiryu, regarding your no music issues. Please redownload the patch. I discovered that I created the IPS patch based on the wrong asm.

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 16:05 by Shiryu

Roger that.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 19:28 by Conn

I also tried a bit longer, and must say, I also give up here - tried with apu tracing and disabling several branches, even giving different commands directly to the registers.
No success. But having a "hybrid" between msu and spc is nothing bad in the end, you did a great job on this game Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 23 Jan 2018 - 17:05 by Shiryu

Video up!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 20:17 by Conn

Pev,
check this out. I needed to make a countdown for SMW2, and think this solves also your problem on DT:

search for these tags in attached asm to see my changes

Code:

;-----------------------------------------------------------
;Conn Mute Hooks
;--------------

org $00816D
JSL nmi

;------------------------------------------------------------------
;Conn Mute Code
;--------------

nmi:
SEP #$30
LDA $0f00
BEQ endNMI
dec
STA $0f00
CMP #$01
BNE $06
LDA #$00
STA $002140  ; mute spc when countdown ends
endNMI:
LDA #$00
RTL

testH2:
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
;Conn Mute Code
;--------------
 LDA #$05  ; set countdown
 STA $0f00
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It mutes the intro/select, but of course I didn't let a msu play.

Ah and here is the problem I recently talked about:
Code:

$00/FE11 8F 40 21 00 STA $002140[$00:2140]  A:0000 X:0000 Y:00F2 D:0000 DB:7E
DB is at 7E, so it stores to ram instead of register. So I needed to use the long version, to not store to 7e2140 but on 002140 Smile
Good that we talked about this Razz
Attachments
Darius Twin Attachment
dt.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(2 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 20:45 by pev

I'm glad you explained this. I thought I was going crazy when I was single stepping my code and had issues with black screens or no msu playing. I never quite understood why adding those extra 00 to $2140 or $2002 worked. This helps a lot.

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 21:07 by Conn

Let's cross fingers that above asm will mute the remaining spc. It drove me crazy when I was looking for it a while ago.
The trick: it requires a 01 on 2140 to initiate the apu (I remember you also stepped into this problem.
Now I had a similar problem with smw2.

I came to the solution initializing the apu with the 01, but set a countdown of 5 nmi, and stored the countdown to free ram 0f00 in dt.
With each nmi I decrement it, and when it reaches 01, I mute the audio with 00 to 2140.
Means the apu gets initialized, but 5 nmi until stopping it again is too little to have spc played Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 21:19 by pev

Conn, you always find a way to inspire me, man. You have a very incredible gift at seeing this game console, right to its core. This code even covered the stage select! Not sure yet about the Whale Boss (have to play again to see). Thank you. Now the full game can be enjoyed in full MSU glory!

You are utterly FANTASTIC!

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 21:41 by Conn

Nice that it works and thanks for the compliment Very Happy but you also do fantastic work, I'm really glad that you are around and also take some projects. But alike you I take a break now from new projects Razz

Let me know whether whale boss works if not I'll take a look at him as well

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 21:44 by pev

What I do know about whale boss is it shares the same boss music (even though they are same track, spc plays different music for this one boss only, every other boss is the same). I still have not figured out a way on how to separate them.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 21:55 by Conn

Ah, it probably uses another music bank. Smw2 has 13, smb3 (allstars) 2, overworld and level. Zelda 3, dungeon, overworld and ending.
The same track number lead to different spc then.

Let me know how that boss now behaves and whether I shall take a look at him.
Then I'd need some info what to do, like which stage, If he is muted and pcm played and you only want another pcm played, If yes, which one and such.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 22:17 by pev

You prefer a save stage in Geiger?

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next