Patching SNES9X to simplify MSU1 hacking...

Go down

Patching SNES9X to simplify MSU1 hacking...

Post by laxer3a on Wed 7 Feb 2018 - 11:00

Hi !

I am looking at doing the following changes to Snes9x and create a version allowing to make MSU1 patches more easily.

I looked at the tutorial videos and here the following ideas I have :

- Put a time stamp and log all the jump subroutine / return sub routine instruction.
(= know the call stack at anytime, including register state dump for each jump)

- Put a time stamp (time + emulation clock) for each APU write access and LOG the callstack when it happens.

- Tell the tool that the BGM have changed manually, or that a SFX has been played.

Dump the data into a file, which is loaded by another tool (or we could plug some DLL, whatever...)

By playing the game a few minutes, it should give enough information to track down the playing routines. Display those information into a GUI with a timeline, it will be easy to make the difference between data transfer and call to the play routines.

Do you think my approach is too optimistic and that it will not work, do you foresee any pitfall (the one I could foresee is stack messed up by NMI and other IRQ) ?
Anyway, if people with hand-on experience would give me a feedback on what could be automatically tracked, what is missing from my list, that would be nice...

Cheers.

laxer3a
Newcomer

Since : 2018-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Patching SNES9X to simplify MSU1 hacking...

Post by edale on Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 6:28

Seems like something you'd want to ask @qwertymodo.

*edit- and apparently tagging doesn't work on here...

edale
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo on Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 11:07

These kinds of debugging features would be much better suited for bsnes-plus, which already includes a debugger. But honestly, most of this is far more complex than necessary. A stack trace would certainly be handy, but a breakpoint on $2140:3 will get you 90% of the way there. I can certainly understand where you're coming from, but you're proposing hours of work to save minutes.
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum