Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches

Go down

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Empty Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches

Post by pev Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 12:54

While working on the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy MSU patch and using Bsnes073+3a (Jan 17 2018 build), I noticed GFX glitches in Ninja Gaiden 2 during some cut scenes (not apparent on NG1, have not tested NG3 yet).

At first, I was suspecting my msu code, so I fired up three different clean ROMs from various web sources (emuparadise, completeroms, and loveroms) and ended up with the same GFX banding glitch (see image). It mostly occurs in the cut-scenes that involve vertical scrolling of the background and foreground.

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Ngt-gf10

Just wondering, anybody else seeing this? If not, maybe it could be my PC. Maybe bad ROM dump? I have not tried Higan or Snes9x yet.

pev

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Empty Re: Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches

Post by pev Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 15:39

Hmm, Kurrono just informed me that his original SNES cart does the same thing (but then he is using a Retron5, that is emulation based, though). Also, NG3 does the same thing (most of the time, but always). Again, only when the game scrolls vertically.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Highblade7777 Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:10

I'll try it on SD2SNES as soon as I can (probably be a couple days) and see if it shows up on that as well.

Edit:
Oh and on original hardware fyi

Last edited by Highblade7777 on Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:14; edited 1 time in total

Highblade7777
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2018-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:13

It does happen on NG3 in stages too (not just cut scenes), again, when the screen scrolls vertically. It is more apparent in NG3 as this game uses more vertical scrolling than the other two games. The GFX issues shows up on my copy of Bsnes+.

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Ngt-ms10

It does not always happen, though. If I reset the game, it goes away at one part of the game, only to return later on in the game. I reconfigured Bsnes video/sound settings and will replay the game all over again to test for GFX issues once I'm done with the msu patch.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Highblade7777 Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:46

Well I got the rom now so I'll try to test it tonight.

Highblade7777
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:50

Highblade7777 wrote:Well I got the rom now so I'll try to test it tonight.

No rush, it will not affect the patch's progression. I'm just curious to see if this is an emulation issue and not hardware.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 10:13

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy are just lazy ports so I'm not surprised to see glitches. I mean all the parallax scrolling in NG3 are gone and the SNES could easily do it.

Also the Japanese version of the Trilogy doesn't use the Japanese NES ROM as a base. It is based on the US version of the game, which is much harder. You get twice the damage, more tough enemies, less sword and fire circle power up.
DarkShock
DarkShock

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Image111

Since : 2014-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 10:18

Yeah, that is what Kurrono was telling me as well. After reading some reviews, public opinion pretty much went into its flaws. At least, with msu, I was able to restore the missing music in NG2.

The game is not all that bad, I just hated the horrible SPC remix tracks. As I'm patching the game, I created NES msu versions to replace them (prefer the NES music over the SNES garbage).

Now, hopefully, I can figure out how to change the green blood back to red. Not my department, but I can learn.

Smile

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Highblade7777 Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 7:58

Ok, played through the beginning intro and the first stage cut-scenes and I have not yet encountered the visual bug. If there is a cheat or something to get to the specific scene I'd be interested as I am admittedly not great at the games Confused

Highblade7777
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 8:42

I know there are game genie cheats for infinite life and time for NG2 (if you have one to use on your SNES). Use Google with the search string “snes game genie ninja gaiden trilogy”

You can also use the CONTINUE option and type in the code for the stage that leads to that cutscene. Use YouTube to reference what stage leads to this cutscene. I don’t know at the top of my head. I’m not at home to look it up at the moment.

Sent from Topic'it App

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 15:51

Now, hopefully, I can figure out how to change the green blood back to red. Not my department, but I can learn.
I have a special technique doing such, but cannot help since I briefly tested the game but could not find green blood.

If you provide a zsnes savestate with the green blood I can search the palette entry.
What I do:
- load the zsnes savestate in vsnes
- click on pal viewer, look for the palette with the green blood
- make a screenshot and load the screenshot of the palette in a graphical program (JASC PSP9, but gimp or whatever should also work)
- look for the rgb value of the desired color in the palette in the graphical program AND the neighbouring colors
- load the rom in SNESPal, search for the color, and see if the neighboring palettes also match. If they do you have found the correct address and alter it.

As said, send me a zsnes savestate with the blood on screen and I will take these steps for you Wink
Conn
Conn

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Highblade7777 Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:11

Just an update, I haven't had much time but I hope to test this further this evening.

Highblade7777
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 10:39

Highblade7777 wrote:Just an update, I haven't had much time but I hope to test this further this evening.

Not a problem. Do what you can. I also have some personal issues to deal with that is delaying finishing up the NGT code and PCMs. Not much really to go, 1/4 way done with the last game, NGT3.

Sent from Topic'it App

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 10:44

The green blood is in a cutscene..elwhen ryu beats him 2nd time almos at the end of ninja gaiden 2

Check this video at 1:25:39...u'll see jaquios blood in snes version ia green .. in the nes is red blood
kurrono
kurrono

Ninja Gaiden GFX Cutscene Glitches Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 12:21

The green blood is in a cutscene..elwhen ryu beats him 2nd time almos at the end of ninja gaiden 2
Pep, do you need my help getting it red?
If yes, just send me a zsnes savestate of that cutscreen pic, and I can do this in a couple of minutes (I hope)
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 12:38

I have not forgotten your offer. I just have been busy getting my cloud server up and running again. More important, not the only one that uses it.

Once I’m done with the server dilemma, I’ll play through the game in zSnes and get the save state for you. Apologies for not responding sooner.

Sent from Topic'it App

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 14:04

No worries, just wondered whether you figured out yourself Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Highblade7777 Fri 23 Feb 2018 - 8:04

While I have done further testing it has been by no means as complete as I'd like. I even got sick during the course of this week to further delay me. But I swear I will have at least gotten to the to pics posted in this thread by Monday so I can compare notes with you guys. Ugh rl sucks some times.

Highblade7777
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Highblade7777 Mon 26 Feb 2018 - 8:16

I have still not encounter this visual bug. I wish I could just cut-scene skip and see each one but as of right now the SD2SNES lacks game genie capability to my knowledge. I have played through several stages though and so far no issues.

Highblade7777
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 26 Feb 2018 - 8:37

Kurrono’s Bsnes (same one I use) did not glitch out like mine. Also using Snes9x did not produce the same visual problem. I’m still suspecting my PC setup is the culprit (maybe cuz I use 3 monitors or latest driver bugs?). Not really sure yet. I would have to use my notebook with the same Bsnes copied it over to see if it happens there. If not, I’m not going to worry about it.

Anyhow, I released NGT last night.

Sent from Topic'it App

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Highblade7777 Mon 26 Feb 2018 - 9:00

Thats great! You should have seen me struggle through the game lol I have no muscle memory from the old days for this one and it really showed. As I was studying the screen my wife asked why I was even playing it. You should have seen her trying to understand testing a game instead of just playing a game. It didn't seem to lag on me like the reviews all claim but I tell you what the climbing mechanics between buildings got me frustrated, just want to jump on the building that I am already climbing on!

Highblade7777
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down