Patreon

Zeldix :: General :: News

Go down

Patreon Empty Patreon

Post by qwertymodo Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 1:56

After the previous discussion, I'm happy to announce that we now have a Patreon page!

https://www.patreon.com/zeldix

This is still a pretty new thing, so we're definitely open to feedback and suggestions for things like supporter perks.  This has been an amazingly supportive community, and I'm looking forward to keeping it going for years to come.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Patreon Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Patreon Empty Re: Patreon

Post by Polargames Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 2:30

Great News to Hear! :-D, I took a look at it and I would like to ask, what is Premium MSU-1 Hosting? Does that mean faster Dl s our will they better hosted? I am a little confused on that. Also for your suggestions for supporter perks, will there be another post for them to be on?
Polargames
Polargames

Patreon Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 3:16

Right now, all of the MSU-1 stuff is kind of hosted all over the place on various different free file hosting sites. I was trying to think of what money might be put toward if we happen to bring in more support than is needed for the site itself, and the one thing I thought of was to upgrade to a paid storage tier, whether that's on Google Drive, Mega.nz, or wherever, so everything could be hosted in one place and not have to take up quota space on people's individual accounts. I don't know whether or not it'll actually be any faster for the end users if we do go that route, I was just trying to put that out there in case we did get above the $20/month mark that would cover everything here on Forumotion. Covering the bills is a pretty low bar to meet, so if we do surpass it, I don't feel right about that extra just going straight into my pocket, that's not what this is about. If anybody else has other thoughts about where that could go instead, that falls squarely under the heading of "this is all new and we welcome feedback".

Realistically, $10-15/month keeps the lights on, $20ish lets us flip a few extra switches we haven't before (like increased forum storage for post attachments). Anything beyond that would be above and beyond actual operating costs. I figured I'd put that third goal level up there, but don't feel like that's an amount that's coming out of anybody's pocket right now that needs to be covered.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 11:55

I'm a bt concerned whether it is a good idea to host all msu projects at one place. Sure it is a good idea (safe, secure download and such), but if we go for that and donations will stop in 5 years or so, all is lost. Furthermore, having diverse sources is more secure, like we had it in the past that some sets were dmca:ed. We have some msu files in the grey zone (Jurassic Par, Indiana Jones, Star Wars...) - if such a host is closed because of these issues, everything is lost, too.

If a set at a drive of a particular user gets dmca:ed we find another host in no time. So I'd prefer keeping it diverse.

My horror thoughts is if zeldalegends one day shuts down. Not only all my bszelda stuff would need a new host, but we also have the matter I described: nearly all my patches are hosted there. However I have a backup to provide all stuff if we must go down this road one day.
Conn
Conn

Patreon Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 12:02

Having one central place doesn't mean we have to shut down other mirrors, it would just mean adding one more that could be centralized so that users didn't have to fend for themselves when it comes to that. I agree with your fears about losing access or takedowns. It was just an idea, direct site costs come first.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 12:13

I see, I'm curious what to come Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 22 Apr 2019 - 19:13

I just want to say thank you to the people who have already signed up as patrons. If you want to have a patreon rank displayed here or on Discord, please shoot me a PM with your Patreon username and the username here or on Discord so I know who you are.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherplatypus Wed 1 May 2019 - 1:21

I feel we're like the proverbial mule with a spinning wheel, and imho there's no need to be hasty on spending support funds before the community has focused on some goals. Just let it build up until there's some agreement and excitement.

The Patreon rewards should probably fall into two categories: individual perks, and community goals. I bet they're correlated, whereas one side improves--the other increases--so in a way the individual and community rewards evolve together. No need to pretend we can offer more than a patreon rank atm, but by glancing at the rising passion in the Z3 speed running community we can assure everyone that a sparking interest for more romhacks is already here. The streamers are just waiting for them.

I like the idea of establishing a good storage foundation for MSU-1, it's a solid contribution of the Snes community from Zeldix, and this should honestly be its home... After, of course, resolving the legal issues Conn raised. (Ha, maybe one day the Patreon funds could be used to retain a lawyer to answer such questions.)

Perhaps this decisions could be multi-focused. Globally the storage site could host the backbone of the MSU-1 resources for the Snes community, as well as internet guest level access to all of the starter kits, and public advice, for the alttp newbies and casual romhack developers. However the storage hosting could also be portioned out towards the community and its members to share WIP projects, and assets and discussions, generated during those teamwork collaborations.

I for one would love to learn by observing and helping with ongoing projects, and maybe I'm a bleeding heart, but bet everyone would be willing to share their content with the rest of the community that is creating, supporting, and pioneering to make designing alttp romhacks better.

Zeldix already filters access to non-member internet guests, maybe we could get past this thing where developers go into isolation, becoming stranded with their babies, to create a zone to help individual projects along combined with collaboration towards group projects for the streamers. They would flip out, trampling over each other to be first and fastest if we periodically released scaled-down games with new puzzles and content between major hacks.

My two cents is if you're providing graphics, audio, asm code, level designs, project management, IT maintenance, knowledge literature, software development, sage advice, financial support, play testing, and everything else I'm forgetting, you're a contributor. Perhaps we could promote individuals with perks for their efforts all-the-while their membership becomes more valuable as everyone contributes...

(Oh and when we get there one day, I want to be on the Patreon tier that earns a free T-shirt.)
anotherplatypus
anotherplatypus
Newcomer

Since : 2019-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 1 May 2019 - 1:45

Right now, the money that has come in has been put toward recouping what I paid out of pocket for the basic hosting costs last month (paid for a full year ahead of time). The other ideas are just that, ideas, and are fully up for discussion if people think there are better ways that money could be spent. The storage idea was mostly only aimed at MSU-1 because of the sheer size of the content, but sure, there's no reason that couldn't be extended to other things as well. In fact, one of the other ideas was upgrading the storage tier on the board itself, which would allow things like attachments directly on posts, which could be used for directly hosting smaller things like patches and small tools here.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about filtering access to non-member guests. There aren't any threads that are hidden from guests aside from the admin board and a couple of sections devoted to private beta testing of specific hacks, but in both of those cases the filter has nothing to do with guests vs members, they are just for people directly involved in those projects to have a place to work on things that aren't ready for public release. Everything else is fully accessible to public guests.

Also... be careful what you wish for, the T-Shirts are definitely going to be one of those "...and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" memes. Wink
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 11 Feb 2021 - 12:55

Patreon is now almost for 2 years up and it is a pity to see that only 2 people are supporting our page, where one of these is a moderator and bears this burden on top.

We have some side costs, like paying for the domain name, https and so on... we don't make profit or anything, all donated money is going into keeping this page running.

Please everybody, a lot of our free time is consumed into maintaining this site (e.g., providing this space, keeping the links up), as well as developing patches, pcm packs and generally provide a platform for zelda 3, msu1, MD+ and so on... for you to enjoy it! Very Happy

If you have the financial background please support us - or better said: qwertymodo, who has to pay the rest balance himself. Even if it is only $1, if 20 people spent this amount we already go a huge step forward.

https://www.patreon.com/zeldix

Last edited by Conn on Thu 11 Feb 2021 - 15:04; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 11 Feb 2021 - 13:45

Thank you Conn for bringing this to my attention.

I remember talk once of qwertymodo saying that we should have some sort of crowd funding but I did not realize we actually got that up and going, I missed this post originally. I signed up for a small amount each month. Love this site and wanted to help.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Patreon Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 11 Feb 2021 - 13:58

Much thanks J Smile Especially I didn't expect it at all from you since you already spend so much time and effort into creating and providing pcm sets!
It's alike Relikk who is moderator and patreon and has like you now taken a "double-responsibility". Again, all your support is highly appreciated Wink
Conn
Conn

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonenanza Thu 25 Feb 2021 - 17:13

and i seem to be to stupid to login :p

"Moin.
I am new (as member) to this site and Its really mindblowing how you guys keep everything running.
I wont say that it should be mandatory, but its "Ehrensache" (a question of honor) to support the site, since it seems as if its only 4 persons (correct me if im wrong) shouldering everything and keeping the MSU1 tech alive.
I have recently gotten back into SNES gaming, about half a year ago when I discovered MSU-1 and have gotten myself an FX-Pak for our SNES and after that of course stranded on this page..
and although it can be or at least seem) a bit complicated once in a while one can find everything necessary on this page to get MSU-1 hacks running (and that is a lot, it is giving new life to everything up to the 16 bit era, so donating a little isnt really much.
I shouldnt announce anything, you will see when the money comes in, but those who frequently use this site should definately visit the patreon site.

Its a good thing that the Patreon topic has been positioned the way it is now, since i didnt know about it before (and i didnt read through the whole site before i started using it :p ).

I hope that soon the money starts coming in.
May MSU1 and FPGA´s revive or keep 8 and 16bit cartridge gaming forever alive Very Happy

PS: I am really curious about the "Mesen" hacks and would like to see a way to play that stuff on hardware.
If there is a way to help in other ways i would like to see what i can do
(thats one of the reasons why I decided to register)"

Bonenanza
Witch
Witch

Since : 2021-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Fri 26 Feb 2021 - 12:38

Welcome to the group, it is a fun one indeed
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Patreon Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 28 Feb 2021 - 7:14

Much thanks Smile yes, one member is paying $15/month=180/year, which is a bit too much imo. If a few (maybe 20 or so) are donating 1-2$ maybe, would be much better, so one person does not have to bear most.
Conn
Conn

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonenanza Wed 28 Jul 2021 - 4:45

I have finally set up the Payment.
but...
How can i change the amount of money donated on Patreon?
couldnt find it anywhere
I thought it was a single donation which i could repeat ocasionally..

and now i will pay 15€ a month :p  Very Happy Very Happy

for now i will leave it that way, since i wanted to do this for months..
I had a huge gain so I really cant complain. but at the end of the Year I would like to reduce to 5€ a month (else I think my wife might start to complain :p )

Bonenanza
Witch
Witch

Since : 2021-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 28 Jul 2021 - 5:03

I think the easiest way to do a one-time donation is just to cancel after the first one goes through. Not sure about changing the amount if you want to leave it monthly, maybe check with patreon support for that.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Patreon Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonenanza Wed 28 Jul 2021 - 9:23

Will try that.. Maybe around Christmas Very Happy
For now I'm happy if it helps

Bonenanza
Witch
Witch