MSU1 Region Compatibility

Go down

MSU1 Region Compatibility Empty MSU1 Region Compatibility

Post by alex_tenjo Wed 15 Jan 2020 - 14:21

Most of the MSU1 patches are design for the US version of the ROMs (with some exceptions for Japanese only ROMs or particular developments made on request). For some specific ROMs, I wish for a NTSC-J or PAL version instead of the NTSC-U. In order to do that, I have ran compatibility tests to know if some of the current patches can be used without modification to a different ROM regions. Here is my first results in the event of someone could be interested.

GameROM Filename (No-intro Set)Patch FilenamePatched ROM CRC (Corrected)Note
AxelayAxelay (Japan).sfcaxe-msu1.ips44F793B5MUS1 (U) Compatible (J)
Disney's The Lion KingLion King, The (Europe).sfclk_msu.ips566AD0C9MUS1 (U) Compatible (E)
F-ZeroF-Zero (Japan) (En).zipf-zero_msu.ips6BF9CC33MUS1 (U) Compatible (J)
F-ZeroF-Zero (Japan) (En).zipoptional_extended_music.ips98A2CC4BMUS1 (U) Compatible (J) Above f-zero_msu.ips
Final Fight 3Final Fight Tough (Japan).sfcff3_msu.ipsB015D0ACMUS1 (U) Compatible (J)
Kirby's Dreamland 3Hoshi no Kirby 3 (Japan).sfckdl3-msu.ips3F07303FMUS1 (U) Compatible (J)
Kirby Super StarKirby's Fun Pak (Europe).sfckss_msu.ips088136D3MUS1 (U) Compatible (E)
Megaman X2Rockman X2 (Japan).sfcmmx2_drlight_msu1_v10.ipsED7F448AMUS1 (U) Compatible (J)
Super Castlevania IVAkumajou Dracula (Japan).sfcsc4_msu.ipsC20FD44DMUS1 (U) Compatible (J)

Note: I have only test what is interested me (it is not a Master List at all), and I have not included the numerous non-working attempts. However, all the lines present in the above table are 100% compatible in terms of code. Several checks I have ran let me think that the MSU-1 patch can be applied without problem, but further investigations are required for confirmation.

Last edited by alex_tenjo on Wed 8 Jul 2020 - 16:45; edited 5 times in total
alex_tenjo
alex_tenjo
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2018-02-20

Back to top Go down

MSU1 Region Compatibility Empty Re: MSU1 Region Compatibility

Post by Conn Wed 15 Jan 2020 - 15:38

Nice Very Happy

Most patches have an asm source code, you'd need to know only a little bit asm to re-address the free rom space and need a hex comparison program to check the hooks are valid for the other version (or re-address them as well for the corresponding address in the other version). Most times you'd only need to correct the addresses and run the asm with xkas to patch your J rom.

Generally, I hope people understand that the majority of people use the US version, and wih 159 patches in our database we simply cannot supply every pal/J version without having the time of a second life.
I usually make exceptions for RPG:s where a translation indeed is necessary, but who would e.g, need Super Mario World in a pal language (there's so little text and no need to understand that anyways).
Conn
Conn

MSU1 Region Compatibility Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_tenjo Thu 16 Jan 2020 - 15:47

Unfortunately I have no skill with asm (and with programming either), but I understand what you mean by re-addressing code on free space, sadly I am not able to do that.

I have in mind that making MSU1 patches is quite complex in addition to be time-consuming. And because of that I easily understand why only US region patches (minus exceptions) are developed.

I have ran some tests with non-US ROMs because I would like to get them MSU1 patched. In one hand, in theory I agree with your Super Mario World example. It seems irrelevant to get a MSU1 PAL version of that game due to the lack of text included (in addition to the fact that PAL Super Mario World have text already in English with no other language supported). On the other hand for specific games, because US is not the version of the cartridge I own, or because the ROM I used to play is not the US version or because other personal considerations, could be why I am interested in getting it in another region. That is said, I openly want to let you know that I am not asking for NTSC-J or PAL version of existing MSU1 patches.

If I find other patch compatible or if new revision of a patch make or break compatibility, I will update the above table.
alex_tenjo
alex_tenjo
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_tenjo Thu 25 Jun 2020 - 9:11

In addition to the above compatibility list, I have hex edited a few MSU1 patches to make them compatible to other regions (for my personal use). I would like to share them in case of anyone is interested, but please note the two following things if you want to use them:

- All credit goes to the developers of the original patches; I have only shift some hex values to make them compatible. I have not made any other modification.
- Patches are distributed as is. Please do not ask for any support. I do not understand a simple line of code so I cannot tweak them. I have only use logical to make them. Please do not ask for support to theirs developers either.

Here is the list of the archive contents:

GameROM Filename (No-intro Set)Patch FilenamePatched ROM CRC (Corrected)Note
Street Fighter II Turbo (JAP)Street Fighter II Turbo (Japan) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console).sfc1.1_hd_sf2tf_msu1_noHeader.ips201FC0AAHeavy Damage Version
Super Donkey Kong (JAP)Super Donkey Kong (Japan) (Rev 1).sfcdkc_J_ntsc_noheadere_msu.ipsD6AF4394N/A
Hagane (JAP)Hagane (Japan).sfchtfcj-msu1.ips02ECFE3AN/A
Street Fighter II (JAP)Street Fighter II (Japan).sfcsf2j_msu1_arcade.ipsC0D2693AN/A
Super Street Fighter II (JAP)
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (Japan).sfcssf2j_msu.ipsEEF54D52N/A
Super Street Fighter II (JAP)Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (Japan).sfcSuper Street Fighter II (USA) (Colour Hack 1.1)_(UnH).ips
050C7ACFPalette Correction - Above ssf2j_msu.ips
Super Metroid (PAL)Super Metroid (Europe) (En,Fr,De).sfcsupermetroide_msu1.ips3BDBF462Unlock Tourian Doors Compatible

All those patches are intended to work with their according unheaded No-intro ROM. Fixed CRC are given for reference only, please note that once patched all ROM will require a manual fix to match with my list. I keep patches unfixed because it is more convenient for me to check compatibility. I only fix ROM CRC once all patching operations are done.

I have insert an edited Super Street Fighter II colour fix patch for JAP version. Shifting code was necessary to make it to work with that version. That patch is fully compatible with the edited MSU1 patch.
Attachments
MSU1 Region Compatibility Attachment
IPS.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(3 Kb) Downloaded 10 times
alex_tenjo
alex_tenjo
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down