Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 16:38

Here's a hack to enable the msu
- one Version for expanded native Rom
- one Version for Euclid 24 items + Play time Counter preapplied

v2: all Music addressed but not yet confirmed bugfree by playtest
v3: edit Feature to silence Sound while in map or houses
v4: bug fix in the 24 items msu

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/zelda3_msu.zip

Read the included readme how to enable. I didn't test all yet - I think the endings will not work, an update will follow, also with bugs you may find. Also SePH in your Version is the Master Sword theme (or harp theme) missing.

Last edited by Conn on Sun 30 Mar 2014 - 7:48; edited 4 times in total
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

MSU enabling Empty Re: MSU enabling

Post by Founder Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 17:31

I haven't checked but will do so later in the day.

Btw... You do realize you just made the one hack that is going to change the history of Zelda FOREVER?

Just kidding... outstanding work!

Before Erock comes in here, I'll say it for himself:

HOLYCOW !!!!!

Very Happy

Founder

MSU enabling Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 21:35

hehe* dunno when the other's going to figure out Wink

I updated the zip, but didnt test it. I addressed all Music in the asm but cannot know if all works fine. If anybody can make a runthrough the game with own Music, would be fantastic.

Redownload v2 in the first post. v2 Features all Music (ending, flute, etc). At least it should...
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Mar 2014 - 23:25

uploaded a v3 that silences the map and inhouses a bit (as in the original.
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 30 Mar 2014 - 7:50

there was a Problem with the 24 items msu (wrong addressed at the end, so the game crashed after grabbing the triforce in the end); affected were this patch and the new all-in.

Please redownload or reapply the msu hack in case you use the 24 items menu (native was not affected).

Fixed hack:

Fixed all-in ips:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/all-in_ips.zip
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 10:14

I now added the possibility to add a Video between Name select and start of the game, when Chosen a new save state... so you can add another intro to the game that only appears at the start of the game.

I also made the msu Version to only one Version that works with both native zelda and 24 items menu (Prior These were 2 Versions).

Get more Infos here:
(subfolder: optional Video)
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Fri 25 Apr 2014 - 0:46

wow! but what kind of video! like the intro video or a real video?

incredible work conn non the less!

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

MSU enabling Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Fri 25 Apr 2014 - 1:59

Full-motion video if I recall back when I think I saw Chrono Cross(?) video being played on the SNES. It was awesome! Glad we can do the same thing with Zelda A Link to the Past. Good work conn.
Charmander106
Charmander106

MSU enabling Image213

Since : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Fri 25 Apr 2014 - 2:14

^^ Full motion video like in this exemple Erock!

I might actually ask someone to make an animation video for my hack and will of course need you with your awesome voice over skills eventually for that part too Erock ;-)

Founder

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 16:48

Conn, I wanted to know if you had knew why some songs converted to wav are playing faster in bsnes while they play at normal speed in winamp/windows media player?

Clow made me four original songs in wav format for my hack but for some reason they all at a faster tempo in bsnes which is just odd.

...this also happened with some songs I've converted to wav from before, but don't know exactly what's causing this.

Any ideas?

Founder

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 17:27

hmm.... did you check Settings -> Emulation Speed? That would be the easiest solution :p

Other than that, I have no idea. The wavs I tested seem to work normal. Are These Problems only in the Video or also in normal Audio?

But another guy has Problems with pcm... do you experience These Problems as well? He says, pcm are neither played in bsnes 0.68 and sd2snes but are in bsnes 0.69. Which is strange, but I can confirm.

I tested by renaming *.pcm in *.wav and then they are played again, though I can't say whether they Loop. Ah well... sorry I am lost here. Maybe somebody Needs to ask byuu since he programmed it. I only enabled it.
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 18:32

Not emulation speed releted issue. In bsnes, some converted waves files just play fine, while others play faster, while all of them play at normal speed if played in windows media player.

^^Have no idea what is causing this.

Haven't converted them to pcm files yet, so it might be related to converting the files to wav.

Founder

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 19:13

Sorry Seph, no idea Sad

I found out more about this issue. PCM is only supported with bsnes 0.69 and further.
Unfortunately, sd2snes only Plays pcm (no wavs). Then EmuandCo (guy from the BSZ HP) asked another guy what the Problem with my hack possibly could be that no pcm is played. It seems I Need to unmute the APU... wtf? I didn't mute it! If it was also no sfx were played.

I have a small crisis here.

Edit... oh, no Problem. I just tested with a pcm from super road blaster and it works Razz

Edit2:
I found more out. bsnes 0.69 and higher as well as sd2snes require pcm instead of wav. Thereofre I updated the complete msu hack. You now find bsnes 0.75 inside (which won't Play wav anymore), as well as a new XML file that can Play pcm (SePH, you already got the working Version with the Video update). For testing without converting you can still use bsnes 0.65 with wavs. Maybe pcm also fixes your Problem, SePH?

coversion of wavs to pcm is rather easy.

Program:
http://helmet.kafuka.org/wav2msu.rar

Here's a tutorial:
http://helmet.kafuka.org/thepile/Wav2msu

If you don't Loop it is sufficient to just write at the dos prompt
Code:
wav2msu yourwav.wav yourwav.pcm

If you want to Loop (as many spc do), you Need to know in hex where your Loop starts I think, but pcm can do it.
Code:
wav2msu foo.wav -l 0x123456   yields foo.pcm, looping at sample #1193046
Since sd2snes supports this Format only (and not wav) pcm is the Format of your choice.

Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 18:14

Again a small bug discovered with the msu. The game crashed at the cathedral. I fixed this:

Also, I sent the pu fix per mail to you, SePH
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 19:19

Have you always wondered why you do not get complete mute when the tracks are changed or you restart the game with save&quit? Even at the beginning sequence in the bed there was no mute, so here's the fixed Version:

I was extensively talking with EmuandCo, who tries to get msu in sd2snes. I tried 2 full days to get this work but failed. The reason is that in bsnes you have to mute the tracks, otherwise spc and msu is played in an awful way simultaneously.

However, when you mute the tracks sd2snes Fails to Play the themes.
I tried hard to get it played in sd2snes (I unmuted the tracks and so on, set a value to 006c (apu dsp Register) but whatever I tried, it didn't run. I think it is a Problem with sd2snes and I hope the programmer will release a new Software that will Play msu in the way bsnes does. I must give up on this, so sorry if you were already looking Forward trying this hack on rh!

Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 1 May 2014 - 2:09

It's okay Conn, take a break seriously! You've done more for this game then people will ever need!

Like I've said before, msu-1 is the least of my priorities. If you can't manage to get it working on rh, it's still fine for me. So long as it works right now on emulators, it's all good. People will get to play a new experience on those. If somehow some stubborn people came along the road and want to make msu-1 version working on their old consoles, that will be their burden, not ours!

Either way on the 31st of the last month of this year, I'm out of the game. Retirement, no matter what! ;-)

(could be before if I somehow manage to release my hack before then)

Founder

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 1 May 2014 - 6:34

Yes, I have the same opinion. I do not own a sd2snes as well... I have skills to hack many things but I'm far beyond being capable of hacking everything Wink
And I always wondered why almost no game has msu1 Support. I think my zelda3 hack is the only one. Other games like smb odysee and super road blaster are homebrew.

I think this is due to the bsnes restriction. Most People Play zsnes since this is the most user-friendly Emulator, and also the Emulator of my choice, though I mostly use snes9x due to geiger debug (the best Debugger).
Bsnes is maybe the best Emulator out there since it is Close to rh, but byuu changes the conditions weekly (wav until bsnes 0.68, pcm until 0.75, now higan uses bml instead xml that Needs to be stored in a quite well hidden library).
And bsnes isn't so user friendly. I miss many things that are easily adjustable in zsnes (after bsnes 0.75 I e.g. miss Emulation Speed). But well.

I'm pretty sure you will get the game finished. It's only last polishes up needed (after porting Puzz's dungeons) and the last asm needed are those maps from Euclid and that's it pretty much. Then you can smoke your pipe and relax having made one of the (or even the) most amazing Zelda hacks ever! Wink
Conn
Conn

MSU enabling Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 1 May 2014 - 8:49

I agree, speaking of Homebrew. I was told, that the Alttp for Wii (which is a WAD file) contains the actual SNES smc rom in it. And I remember playing Parallel Worlds on Wii with no emulator, but directly (which was WAD again). So I was just wondering, how this is done, packing the SMC into WAD?

Of course Wads are considered as roms, so they can not be published anywhere, but it would be interesting to know, how this is done, since I know many players use this strategy. The gameplay is much more legit that way (no cheats, rewinding or savestating).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

MSU enabling Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 23 Nov 2014 - 17:27

I know this is an old topic, but I can comment on the Wii/WAD thing.  Basically, Wii VC is just an emulator packed up with a ROM.  They include the full emulator executable with every title, and probably include some game-specific hacks on a per-title basis.  Expansion chip emulation is very limited, Cx4 is the only one I know of off the top of my head.  Injecting ROMs into existing WADs isn't really that hard, I actually made a PW1.1 WAD myself.  Basically, a WAD is just an archive file containing the various files, title metadata, emulator executable, ROM file, and HTML guide files, etc.  I used the original aLttP WAD as my donor for PW.  I changed the channel images and text, but didn't bother to edit the guide at all, so if you click the home button and go to the guide, it brings up the original aLttP guide.  Unfortunately, I seem to recall that the forum thread where the tools were released ended up abandoned and the download links went stale.  I think the guy's username was HowardC.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

MSU enabling Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down