Hardcoded Pushable Blocks

Go down

Hardcoded Pushable Blocks Empty Hardcoded Pushable Blocks

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 Apr 2014 - 1:03

Can someone tell me more about these pushable blocks?

I believe that these are special blocks which are hardcoded and it seems as if they were made such that you can only push them so that they don't push over the blue pegs.

I've studied the interactions of blocks and pegs and as far as I remember blocks and pegs don't even know that each other exist. Meaning that a regular block will just push over a peg no matter what position the peg is in.

Apparently to avoid this nintendo made these blocks in this room special in the sense that you can't push them onto the blue pegs.

Hardcoded Pushable Blocks Untitled111_zps25dc45b6

anyone know anything about these? thanks
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Hardcoded Pushable Blocks Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Hardcoded Pushable Blocks Empty Re: Hardcoded Pushable Blocks

Post by Chagmen_Lietons Sat 19 Apr 2014 - 3:06

Pegs are considered objects, and blocks are coded as blocks as that's what I'm getting from Hyrule Magic's editing features. Even so, I think it's the fact even if the blocks are in fact a 4-way push-able, they must check the spot they are going to be pushed on. If it's solid, or if an object already exists there, cannot be pushed on top. This can be fixed through a simple hijacking point. I'm not certain where that is, even somewhat scanning through mathonnapkin's documents he has available currently. I might have skipped over it, or it's not present in the documents.
Chagmen_Lietons
Chagmen_Lietons
Leever
Leever

Since : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 19 Apr 2014 - 7:00

Apparently to avoid this nintendo made these blocks in this room special in the sense that you can't push them onto the blue pegs.

Not really. A pushable block can not interact with the peg in any way, for the block resets the ground. Which means it would destroy the peg if pushed up and out of it, while the peg is down. Thus you can not push it towards the peg, if the peg is up or down. The same with the warp (you can not push a block on a warp).
Actually this just game me an idea of the nice puzzle, similar to that thing in Link's awakening, which can fill the pits to reveal a chest.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Hardcoded Pushable Blocks Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 19 Apr 2014 - 14:01

Thanks for clearing that up, but if I remember correctly I deleted these blocks in Hyrule magic and when I played the game I still saw them.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Chagmen_Lietons Sun 20 Apr 2014 - 4:57

If you can still see the block, then it's possible you didn't save it or you loaded the wrong ROM for testing. Not saying you did forget to save it, as when I delete the block, it stayed that way after saving it and testing it.

Also, you can't add in more items/blocks/sprites/chests/entrances/holes unless you can re-point the data even further, so you'll have to work with what you have. I might suggest keeping a document on how many there are total and how many you have total in you're ROM. I'm not sure if HM keeps track of this, but it might turn out easier on you if you do. Cause if you end up deleting some of that data, you might want to keep track of how many you deleted in case you want it elsewhere. Wink

EDIT: I apologize. HM does keep track of the feature on how many items/blocks/sprites/chests/entrances/holes you have in you're ROM. File -> ROM Properties. Hope this helps you! Very Happy

Last edited by Chagmen_Lietons on Sun 20 Apr 2014 - 16:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't want to make a new post. Quick fix of understanding of total data finding in the ROM.)
Chagmen_Lietons
Chagmen_Lietons
Leever
Leever

Since : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 20 Apr 2014 - 16:39

You could even call it like a distructo-block....... it will destroy anything in it way.

You could make the path to a treasure chest block by like those small spikes and then make the player "push" their way threw!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 20 Apr 2014 - 17:03

Erockbrox wrote:Thanks for clearing that up, but if I remember correctly I deleted these blocks in Hyrule magic and when I played the game I still saw them.
That's because the initial programing is dumb enough to put all! blocks into RAM, once you enter any dungeon (or indoors for that matter!). This basically prevents the possibility to increase the number of pushable blocks (max however is not 99, but rather 129, since the 4th bank is practically empy, but reserved).

So if you remove (or add) pushable blocks in HM, you need to load the game with the srm save, exit the dungeon and enter it, to correctly reload the changes. To use any savestate is of course out of the question.

-----

The pushable blocks are also programmed in such a way, to auto "reset" the floor, after being pushed. So, yes, with half pegs, or anything "half" drawn, the block will go over it and reset the floor.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Hardcoded Pushable Blocks Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down