adding new white dot exits

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

adding new white dot exits - Page 2 Empty Re: adding new white dot exits

Post by Puzzledude Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 6:23

FYI, Wiz: In BCvsG an extra connection between the mountain and the rest of the overworld was made using 1E (room 255) and 1F (room 239).
Which is a direct definition of the connection cave. Entrance 1E and 1F are not the entrance/exit yellow dots but the actual entrance-only yellow dots, and 239 and 255 are below 256.

Don't forget that you can edit which rooms the dots are linked to.
Will do you no good, if the yellow dot is an entrance/exit.

Sure a connection made within' rooms 0-255 will work.
That's true if the yellow dots used are in fact entrance-only (and for these rooms they usually are).

so a connection between rooms 256-295
That's also true, but a connection can only be made if the yellow dots are un fact entrance-only (and for these rooms they usually aren't) - so you would basically want to borrow something like entrance 1E and 1F and make them to lead into 2 houses.

try editing a house properties located in the rooms 256 and above so that it warps to a room below 256
This is not possible, as the video suggests. Euclid found out this a while ago and even warned about it. And he also added that this can not be undone.

Which suggests that the original authors made sure, that above 255 is used for houses only and that Link exits where he entered. So they brough the exit into the entrance (and renounced on the white dot exit).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

adding new white dot exits - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 16:53

Why would that matter when you can easily reconfigure both types of dots? As long as you have a spare yellow dot and a spare white dot, couldn't you just set them to the same room? Do some of the yellow dots have properties that can only be edited via hex?
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 13 Jan 2016 - 7:42

SunGodPortal wrote:

Why would that matter when you can easily reconfigure both types of dots? As long as you have a spare yellow dot and a spare white dot, couldn't you just set them to the same room? Do some of the yellow dots have properties that can only be edited via hex?
I actually never tested this out. If an entrances, which was originally a yellow dot entrance/exit can be edited out so that it becomes a regular entrance, which will allow an exit (if the room which it leads has changed). This should be tested to confirm if the transformation is possible. But I remember, that in certain cases, the white dot added was not responding.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 15:26

what about changing the exit locations? why are there exits placed in random locations on the map?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 15:37

what about changing the exit locations?

As far as I know you can have an exit come out just about anywhere whether it's near the entrance or not.

why are there exits placed in random locations on the map?

If you are referring to the seemingly random exits on the overworld with numbers in the 1000's, these are for the ending sequence. It tells the camera where to start.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 15:58

what about changing the exit locations?
Exit locations can be changed to any coordinate on the map.

why are there exits placed in random locations on the map?
They are not random. This is where the camera starts, when in ending sequence.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 20:59

and if they changed?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 23:43

and if they changed?

I haven't tried, but I assume that changing them will either glitch, ruin or crash the ending. Moving them would probably be fine apart from having no power to change the scroll that occurs during the ending. Double-clicking them and changing the properties (what you would do if using them for actual exits) would most likely cause bugs. Unless you are using them to make changes to the ending I'd say your best bet is to leave them alone.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 20 Jan 2016 - 6:22

and if they changed?
And if what changed. The ending exits? The game would not crash, but it would go to black screen, play out the music and stay in black screen indefinitely. Moving the ending exits will result in some heavy scroll bugs during ending sequence. PS Ending exits can not be used for normal exits.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Wed 20 Jan 2016 - 16:34

I was experimenting last night and removed one of them by mistake. Didn't notice until I was testing the starting area (the top of the pyramid) that you get by default after beating the game. It made just the screen go black and prevented the rest of the ending from playing out. I put it back where I thought it was and it worked just fine.

This seems like a good enough place to ask...

Is there documentation on the data structure of the exits? "0020" is the default start point after beating the game and I'd like to change it to somewhere in the light world. When I move it to the LW and load a completed save file I'll start where I placed, it but the "bunny" music plays and Link is of course a bunny (I cheated and beat the game without the moon pearl or even fighting Ganon). I've noticed that it is connected to room 32 and that any other room will make the game crash upon loading. Is there a byte that sets whether you are in the light or dark world? Would it work just fine if I just linked it to a light world boss room? (I ask because I won't be able to try until later)

EDIT: I just looked it up in the ROM map. I guess I'll study that.

EDIT 2: I used the ROM map to figure out how to edit the exit properties via hex, but none of the changes helped fix the issue at hand. Changing the room number changes the exit number completely which then makes it unresponsive (game gets stuck on black screen when loading save file) and even if you don't do that but change the overworld area to somewhere in the light world you still start with bunny link and bunny music. There is obviously more to this "start location" than the game simply loading exit 0020.
Mad

EDIT 3: Checked to see if it mattered if A) the game was in the crystal phase when the ending was initiated or B) if exit 0020 was moved before the game was beaten. Made no difference.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2