The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Gaiden [Demo]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Gaiden [Demo]

Post by Jeimuzu on Wed 27 Jul 2016 - 19:45

The story takes place sometime after the Imprisoning War and perhaps centuries before "A Link to the Past."  The hack will contain a modified overworld, and brand new dungeons.  However, the current demo only shows off the Forest Palace.  While it's a fairly complete dungeon, there are quite a number of placeholders.  I plan to eventually make new tile sets for my dungeons.  Moreover, a number of the screenshots are partial mockups to further demonstrate my vision.

Finally, the dungeon map is not set up.  From the beginning, my intention was to build the dungeon layout in a rom so that I could test it as I was designing it.  I have since documented the layout with snapshots of the rooms, entrances, room headers, etc. so that I can efficiently rebuild the dungeon in a clean rom.  That's probably when I'll mess with the dungeon map.

Keep in mind, the Forest Palace is level 1 so don't expect a significant challenge.  However, it is more challenging than Eastern Palace.

That said, the purpose of releasing this demo is to get some feedback.  Constructive criticism is welcome.  If you think I could have done something better, please share your thoughts.

Plot:

The oppressive King of Hyrule holds a tournament every three years.  This tournament is comprised of Team Green of Kakariko Village, Team Blue of the Eastern Palace, and Team Red of the Tower of Hera.  Whoever acquires the eight scrolls (because there are eight dungeons), gets to have the honor of a fight to the death with the King on behalf of their team.  This gives any of the three teams the opportunity to end the King's reign, and conquer Hyrule thus establishing their own ideal monarchy.  This also gives the King the opportunity to dispose of Hyrule's tournament champion in an effort to preserve his reign.  Every experienced warrior has since been taken care of.  The purpose of these tournaments are to prevent any young warriors from living long enough to reach a similar status.

ROM / ISO Information:

Filename: Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (U) [!].smc
SHA1: 8288b4bc88052a3cf4effed3acd6a498847bfb95
SHA-256: d9c69c5270b2f7eac54f254688a43cc767fd5cb4f21fc079a0f9fbe09978eaec
CRC32: dd42510e
MD5: 1a74468291b02729329dd1357afb45af

Screenshots:

Download Patch

Last edited by Jeimuzu on Thu 28 Jul 2016 - 2:08; edited 2 times in total
Jeimuzu

Since : 2015-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Gaiden [Demo]

Post by SunGodPortal on Wed 27 Jul 2016 - 23:47

Cool. Can't wait to try this out later.
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Thu 28 Jul 2016 - 2:03

Awesome title screen!

This is your second romhack of Zelda 3
I take it?

It probably means you're only going to
get better from this stage!
Every new hack I made gave me
better skills.

Did you added boss monologues
in there or that's just me?

Keep going!  Very Happy

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu on Thu 28 Jul 2016 - 3:02

Thank you! The title screen still needs some work, but I'm quite happy with it thus far.

You could say this is my second Zelda 3 hack. Or my fourth if you count every time I remade Master Quest from scratch, lol.

I have learned quite a bit in the past year, and at this point I know that I need to tread warily with Hyrule Magic.
Jeimuzu

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Thu 28 Jul 2016 - 4:22

I've played it up to just before the boss room. I save stated and decided to come back to it later because I don't have access to my controller and hate playing with a keyboard.

So far everything looks good. It was fun, wasn't too confusing, didn't have anything ridiculous and didn't require a bunch of back-tracking. I didn't encounter any bugs either. There was also a good variety from room to room. A little bit of a maze in one room, avoiding some obstacles in another, killing enemies for keys/chests, etc.

My only suggestion is to spice up room 121 a bit. I like how it makes a loop so you don't have to go down one staircase and then the other. I just think the rooms themselves there look a little bland.

Keep up the good work.
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu on Thu 28 Jul 2016 - 14:29

SunGodPortal wrote:So far everything looks good. It was fun, wasn't too confusing, didn't have anything ridiculous and didn't require a bunch of back-tracking. I didn't encounter any bugs either. There was also a good variety from room to room. A little bit of a maze in one room, avoiding some obstacles in another, killing enemies for keys/chests, etc.

My only suggestion is to spice up room 121 a bit. I like how it makes a loop so you don't have to go down one staircase and then the other. I just think the rooms themselves there look a little bland.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I won't be putting too much emphasis on difficulty.  While I want the hack to be atleast on par with Master Quest; I don't want to frustrate anyone.  I want players to enjoy the hack.

As for room 121, I agree.  I'm having a little trouble with that room for some reason, lol.  I'll figure something out though. Smile
Jeimuzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fechdog on Thu 4 Aug 2016 - 13:59

Although it took me a while to find the sword, I had a lot of fun in the dungeon. If I had to make one change it would be to add torches in the maze room. It was annoying not seeing the enemies after you picked up the key. Also, did I get a different version since I didn't see the blue or red guy from your screenshots when I played? This is one hack I'm looking forward to see finished! Keep up the good work!

Fechdog

Since : 2016-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu on Thu 4 Aug 2016 - 14:47

Fechdog wrote:Although it took me a while to find the sword, I had a lot of fun in the dungeon. If I had to make one change it would be to add torches in the maze room. It was annoying not seeing the enemies after you picked up the key. Also, did I get a different version since I didn't see the blue or red guy from your screenshots when I played? This is one hack I'm looking forward to see finished! Keep up the good work!

Well I included a save as well as a save state so you wouldn't have to find the sword as it's not meant to be part of the demo.  The save allows you to start the game with the sword & shield, 4 hearts, the net, and 2 bottles.  All of which you can still acquire just in case their might be issues with the save.  

As for the version of the demo, there is only one.  The screenshots are partial mockups demonstrating what I want to do.  However, ASM would be required in order to pull at least most of it off.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the demo.  Thank's for playing through it. Smile
Jeimuzu

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum