ASM Questions Regarding My A Link to the Past Gaiden Hack

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ASM Questions Regarding My A Link to the Past Gaiden Hack

Post by Jeimuzu on Sun 28 Aug 2016 - 2:54

Just to be clear, I'm only asking for input at this time.  I'm aware that I'm in no position to be recruiting, and I don't plan to until all my levels are in the beta stage at least.  I'm hoping to develop an understanding of what ideas are possible with ASM, and what I might as well forget.  Though I do have a couple of non ASM related questions to start off with.

Non ASM related questions:

My first question goes to Puzzledude.  I'm curious to know more about your hex glue method that you've mentioned numerous times.  I don't know if it's something that I can accomplish on my own, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the process.  I already plan to move room headers and sprites to the end of the rom, remove all item data, and expand the rom appropriately, but I'd like to do everything I can to ensure that the rom doesn't get bugged.

Graphic Schemes Editor:  I can't seem to find much information on this editor, and I'm having a hard time understanding how it works.  Does it allow you to rearrange the blocksets of sprites as well as tiles?

Ideas regarding ASM:

Accessing the Dark World via indoor warp tiles:  Access to the Dark World in this game will be very limited.  There are only a handful of areas you can explore.  The Dark World is still relatively young, and the seal is much stronger.  The portals that do exist are well hidden.  I want to force the game to switch from Light World to Dark World and vice versa when you step on particular warp tiles (probably no more than four).  So in other words, you see skulls instead of pots in the room you warp to, and the game isn't confused when you go outside.

Open access to all music banks:  I vaguely remember Conn mentioning this so I'm wondering whether or not it's actually possible.  For example, I want to use the soldier music for mini boss battles in dungeons.

Start location edits:  I want the sanctuary either removed from the start menu or postponed until you first enter that room.  The reason being is because I want the game to start in the pendant phase, but I don't want the player to have access to multiple start locations at the beginning of the game.  I also want the pyramid start location removed.  The players presence in the Dark World will be very limited.  Therefore, I want the player to be presented with the start select screen even if they were in the Dark World when they saved and quit.

Use Skull Woods as an outdoor area for the Forest Palace:  There appears to be a global blockset and palette that I'm either unable to change or I just haven't figured it out yet.  I want the game to think this area is part of the Light World.  I'd also like to have the outdoor map disabled in this area.

Extend the amount of "Pendants" you need to acquire from 3 to 8:  Due to the way the "Dungeon Properties" in Hyrule Magic function; I'm not quite sure how one could make this work.  Perhaps with ASM, the play could collect what is essentially the Pendant of Courage from all eight dungeons, and a counter increments each time a level is completed.  Once that counter reaches eight, a particular overlay is activated in a particular area, and the crystal phase begins.  I also have another idea that involves importing code from Ancient Stone Tablets.

Increase the necessity of the ice rod in dungeons:  I want to modify frozen enemies to hold down switches.  I also want to reduce the distance that Link throws them to that of a pot/bomb/rock/bush.

An NPC that can join and part ways with you at any time:  This NPC would accompany Link to help him move large obstacles (reskinned mantles) blocking door ways.  He/she can probably be found in the barracks in Kakariko Village.  This is where you can pick up, and drop off this NPC.  If you restart the game, he/she may no longer accompany you until you pick him/her up again (I don't want them to accompany you at all times for the rest of the game).  This may seem a bit unnecessary, but the idea is to make the player feel as though their never alone, and that Team Green has their back.  In reality they're about as useful as Team Starfox, lol.

Overworld overlays:  I'd like for certain overlays to appear only when instructed to by ASM code.  For example, I want the Hyrule Castle gate to open after a particular achievement, and I want a dungeon entrance to be opened using the Bombos Medallion.

Phases:  I'd like for the phases to increment only after particular achievments.

Less important ideas regarding ASM:

I'd like for red enemies to appear beneath the dark room layer.  For some reason they all seem to appear on top.  Perhaps this is something that can't be fixed without changing palettes.

Bari's in a dark room:  It's my understanding that the Bari's have two sprite layers.  One being the Bari's themselves, and the other being the electified layer.  I'd like for the electrified layer to appear on top of the dark room layer so that you can only see them when they're electrified.

Modifying the Ice Rod:  I never was a fan of the Ice Rod as it's much slower than the Fire Rod.  I'd like to replace it with modded Fire Rod code that freezes instead of burns, and uses the same palette as the Ice Rod.

Replace Stalfos Appear with other enemies:  So I have this idea that involves using the Stalfos Appear code to make other enemies "appear" instead.  I'd like to atleast make them Red Stalfos.

Retaining multiple overworld tracks after Link obtains the flute:  I'd like to do this by forcing the overworld music to stop playing when Link calls the bird.  The appropriate track will begin playing when Link is about to land.  I'm pretty sure that ASM would only be required to stop the music.  This one's hardly necessary.

So in essence, I want to make this game feel more like an extension of A Link to the Past and less like a reskinned version of it.
Jeimuzu

Since : 2015-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: ASM Questions Regarding My A Link to the Past Gaiden Hack

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 28 Aug 2016 - 8:34

My first question goes to Puzzledude.  I'm curious to know more about your hex glue method that you've mentioned numerous times.  I don't know if it's something that I can accomplish on my own, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the process.  I already plan to move room headers and sprites to the end of the rom, remove all item data, and expand the rom appropriately, but I'd like to do everything I can to ensure that the rom doesn't get bugged.
This method is based on so called RT (room transfer program) by XaserLe. This dos based program will auto extract all indoor data and put it on the end of the rom with a nice, easy accesible format, so you can find any room with ease with txt search in the hex editor.

The method basically means you construct your overworlds and everything else, except dungeons, in one primary rom, while you work on dungeons in a separate gfx-compatible and indoor-item-compatible rom. Each dungeon in one rom, but compatible with one global-dungeon-grid.

Once you have every dungeon done and tested you run them through RT to "extract" the data, which can now be easy accesible with hex.

In the primary rom you insert precalculated pointers (which never change, since they are fixed to allow max data possible for items, sprites etc), which I made a while back.

Now comes the copy pasting of rooms: items, sprites, objects etc for each room gets copy pasted from RT-extracted roms with dungeons into the primary rom with fixed overworld, gfx, asm etc.

With this method you use max possible dungeon header, items, no sprite limit, no object data limit, all 320 rooms can be filled, not just 295. Rom will never be out of space or bug etc. You can even insert so many sprites that the emulator will slow down and can not handle it.

So it's an advance method of how to efficiantly make use of space and handle data properly. (If only HM would do it like that, it would never bug out). But of course this is considered as advanced method and not really recomended to use. It is easier to just work with HM.

Graphic Schemes Editor:  I can't seem to find much information on this editor, and I'm having a hard time understanding how it works.  Does it allow you to rearrange the blocksets of sprites as well as tiles?
I really don't use this much as well, but the editor basically allows you to change which gfx set is loaded where, so basically to assign the gfx set to gfx set-number. There actually is no direct reason for you to change that, since you can make gfx edits with yy-chr and use the original values. But of course it is useful to have this editor.

Accessing the Dark World via indoor warp tiles.
So in other words, you see skulls instead of pots in the room you warp to, and the game isn't confused when you go outside.
That's not really how the game is programed. Indoor warp is an object which will than seek for another room and was made to transfer you between rooms. I'm not sure if this is possible, to look for the dark world flag and change it indoors, since the indoors really is not dark and light at all, there is just one indoors and the flag is set uppon entering, until you exit again. Judging from there I'm assuming this is not doable.

You could however make it to enter the dungeon in light world and exit in the dark work via special entrances (something similar was done already).

Open access to all music banks.
Also questionable, since the game can not access all banks at once.

Start location edits:  I want the sanctuary either removed from the start menu or postponed until you first enter that room.  The reason being is because I want the game to start in the pendant phase, but I don't want the player to have access to multiple start locations at the beginning of the game.
Easy doable without ASM. It is a simple monologue edit. Cross out the option 2 in one monologue, and option 2 and 3 in the second. You will then always start at your house and not in church. But then you will never be able to start in the church.

Other option is to edit the church starting point to something else. Then the second option will always start there. Again starting in the church is not possible at all.

Starting in pendant phase is also doable.

I also want the pyramid start location removed.  The players presence in the Dark World will be very limited.  Therefore, I want the player to be presented with the start select screen even if they were in the Dark World when they saved and quit.
Not doable. In fact if you are in the pendant phase and want to enter the dark world, you will be in a severe bug, without a certain fix which Conn made for the IQ hack and is in the single byte fixes. This will however require for you to start in the dark world if defeated (or save and quit) in dark world or in dark world-dungeon. So the pyramid start must remain or is moved elsewhere in the dark world.

The pyramid start location is a primary start for the dark world and can not be removed - if you do, the game will go to black screen.

If you however use the native Alttp and are in pendant phase it will indeed respawn you to light world after you get defeated in dark world, but this is valid for indoors as well. Imagine you die in a dark world dungeon/or any indoors - this will start you in the dark world, which the game will think it is light world.

For that reason you need to get out of the pendant phase as soon as possible. However in all cases you will need the starting location for the dark world - which is the pyramid starting point (you can change the location though, but not into light world).
You can see how moegami tried to simply change this into light world and got the game bugged eventually.

Or in other words - to efficiantly use both worlds you need to get into the crystal phase. If you want to use both world in pendant phase you need that Conn's fix which I used in IQ hack to not bug out the game. But in all cases the pyramid-starting point is necessary and can not be removed, it can only be moved elsewhere in the dark world (but not light world).

Use Skull Woods as an outdoor area for the Forest Palace:  There appears to be a global blockset and palette that I'm either unable to change or I just haven't figured it out yet.  I want the game to think this area is part of the Light World.
Sure, just copy paste the skull wood gfx into the forest light world gfx and then change all the palettes. Then copy paste the actual overworld drawing from dark to light world (but do note, you might be required to make new middle-size overworld tiles). Or indeed use the indoor Graphic Schemes Editor to load it in light world and again adopt the pals (not so easy). However this is not really recomended, since the pals might not match, the middle size overworld tiles might also not match (in theory they shoud though) The only thing not matching would be the palettes. Also, the skull woods are one messed-up gfx tile set.

Extend the amount of "Pendants" you need to acquire from 3 to 8.
Not recomended. Even if doable, it would be much better for you to skip the pendant phase and go to crystal phase (like in Goddess of Wisdom). Then you can have 7 main dungeons. I'm just talking from the debug perspective, as well as from what actually is feasible to do

Increase the necessity of the ice rod in dungeons:  I want to modify frozen enemies to hold down switches.  I also want to reduce the distance that Link throws them to that of a pot/bomb/rock/bush.
The first one is not recomended, since it will need some heavy sprite reprograming for all sprites that you wish to hold down switches, the second whould be a byte change (and doable with tracing).

An NPC that can join and part ways with you at any time:  This NPC would accompany Link to help him move large obstacles (reskinned mantles) blocking door ways.  He/she can probably be found in the barracks in Kakariko Village.  This is where you can pick up, and drop off this NPC.  If you restart the game, he/she may no longer accompany you until you pick him/her up again (I don't want them to accompany you at all times for the rest of the game).  This may seem a bit unnecessary, but the idea is to make the player feel as though their never alone, and that Team Green has their back.  In reality they're about as useful as Team Starfox, lol.
Totally not doable. You would need a company to do that and even then it would require a very skilfull team of sprite-programmers to come with a sprite like that.

Overworld overlays.
I'd like for certain overlays to appear only when instructed to by ASM code.  For example, I want the Hyrule Castle gate to open after a particular achievement, and I want a dungeon entrance to be opened using the Bombos Medallion.
Again too complex to code I would say, since triggering events in the overworld is X, Y dependednt. "Opening" things with medallions is a very complex code. I doubt anyone would take on such programing just to open a castle door.

I'd like for red enemies to appear beneath the dark room layer.
I think this is the pal issue. If its not, then it is again sprite porgraming.

Modifying the Ice Rod:  I never was a fan of the Ice Rod as it's much slower than the Fire Rod.  I'd like to replace it with modded Fire Rod code that freezes instead of burns, and uses the same palette as the Ice Rod.
You can not mix up items like that. You would need to reprogram the entire ice rod mechanics code, which is not recomended.

Replace Stalfos Appear with other enemies:  So I have this idea that involves using the Stalfos Appear code to make other enemies "appear" instead.  I'd like to atleast make them Red Stalfos.
Again, this falls under sprite reprograming, which will require a skilfull progamer, basically beyond of the tipical ASM.

Retaining multiple overworld tracks after Link obtains the flute:  I'd like to do this by forcing the overworld music to stop playing when Link calls the bird.  The appropriate track will begin playing when Link is about to land.  I'm pretty sure that ASM would only be required to stop the music.  This one's hardly necessary.
This would be a lot of work for a little effect, since after the bird takes Link away, the music changes by default to map-music, once the bird puts Link down, new music starts playing - which is overworld-music, as this music is somewhat hardcoded for the light world.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sun 28 Aug 2016 - 9:06; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Sun 28 Aug 2016 - 8:53

Ha! My favorite part of Hyrule Magic!

It allows you to re-organize all the tilesets, spritesets and palettes in the game. A very powerful editor!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

^^Look in my compendium. I've described what it basically does. If you need more help, wait till I'm done with my hack and final beta and I'll help you more.

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sun 28 Aug 2016 - 16:05

I want the sanctuary either removed from the start menu

This may have already been addressed by PD (I didn't read his long, likely very informative post), but this specifically can be done by editing the corresponding entry/entries in the monolgue editor. Just erase/remove "start from the sanctuary" from said entries and the player will no longer be able to select that option.
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 28 Aug 2016 - 16:25

I didn't read his long, likely very informative post.
I was amazed myself when I finished that post. It is actually just a lot of ideas at once, some of which were however way too complex to be possible.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu on Mon 29 Aug 2016 - 1:44

Puzzledude wrote:You could however make it to enter the dungeon in light world and exit in the dark work via special entrances (something similar was done already).
This is essentially what I'm trying to do.  If this is what I have to do, then I can have the player warp into the room with the special entrance.

Puzzledude wrote:However in all cases you will need the starting location for the dark world - which is the pyramid starting point (you can change the location though, but not into light world).
So in other words, I can move the start location to the Village of Outcasts?  This is something I'm willing to settle for.

Puzzledude wrote:Sure, just copy paste the skull wood gfx into the forest light world gfx and then change all the palettes. Then copy paste the actual overworld drawing from dark to light world (but do note, you might be required to make new middle-size overworld tiles). Or indeed use the indoor Graphic Schemes Editor to load it in light world and again adopt the pals (not so easy). However this is not really recomended, since the pals might not match, the middle size overworld tiles might also not match (in theory they shoud though) The only thing not matching would be the palettes. Also, the skull woods are one messed-up gfx tile set.
It's not the skull woods tile set that I'm trying to use.  It's the skull woods area.  I want to essentially turn the area into a Light World special area like Zora Falls.

Puzzledude wrote:Not recomended. Even if doable, it would be much better for you to skip the pendant phase and go to crystal phase (like in Goddess of Wisdom). Then you can have 7 main dungeons. I'm just talking from the debug perspective, as well as from what actually is feasible to do
I'd be more open to using the Crystals if I could bypass the talking maidens, and get them to behave like the Pendants.  I'd imagine that's far too complicated as well.

Puzzledude wrote:The first one is not recomended, since it will need some heavy sprite reprograming for all sprites that you wish to hold down switches, the second whould be a byte change (and doable with tracing).
It would probably just be Kodongos.

Puzzledude wrote:Totally not doable. You would need a company to do that and even then it would require a very skilfull team of sprite-programmers to come with a sprite like that.
I probably should have been more specific with this one.  I really just want to use modded Zelda NPC code as opposed to writing it from scratch.  Perhaps it's still too complicated, but to make a long story short; I want the game to forget that you "rescued" Zelda.

Puzzledude wrote:"Opening" things with medallions is a very complex code.
Well the alternative here is using a super bomb.  That said, I'm not looking for any flashy animations.  Just switching an overlay from off to on.  The player would be using bombos to blow open the entrance.

Lord SePH wrote:^^Look in my compendium. I've described what it basically does.
Thanks, I'll look into that soon.

Lord SePH wrote:If you need more help, wait till I'm done with my hack and final beta and I'll help you more.
Thanks for the offer.  It'll probably be at least a year before I start asking for help.

Puzzledude wrote:I was amazed myself when I finished that post. It is actually just a lot of ideas at once, some of which were however way too complex to be possible.
Yeah, I came up with these ideas over time which is why there were so many of them.  Thank you for answering all of them. Smile
Jeimuzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Mon 29 Aug 2016 - 7:11

So in other words, I can move the start location to the Village of Outcasts?  This is something I'm willing to settle for.
Yes, go for that. You can not remove this exit though.

It's not the skull woods tile set that I'm trying to use.  It's the skull woods area.  I want to essentially turn the area into a Light World special area like Zora Falls.
Turning the dark world area into a light world area is not possible directly, as the game will still consider it a dark world area. You can however modify it though. But skull woods area also has the annoing overlay of dark mist, which can be problematic. Dark world ground is fixed to brown. You can not make it green for instance. Nor can you make the green water blue, unless all water in dark world is changed to blue. Furthermore I would say this area will not allow shallow water tiles. I would say altogether not really recomended to do.

I'd be more open to using the Crystals if I could bypass the talking maidens, and get them to behave like the Pendants.  I'd imagine that's far too complicated as well.
That actually sounds doable with ASM - after picking up the crystal to go to the swing sword animation, like with the pendant.

I probably should have been more specific with this one.  I really just want to use modded Zelda NPC code as opposed to writing it from scratch.  Perhaps it's still too complicated, but to make a long story short; I want the game to forget that you "rescued" Zelda.
No matter how you turn this, the ideas here are not happening. I know you had a certain other Zelda game in mind when thinking about this special NPC, but this Zelda game will not allow such a sprite at all. All that Alttp is capable of is to have a sprite following you, while the sprite is completely hollow and can not interact with you in any way. You can not even enter dungeons if that sprite is following. What you want here was actually doable at least in one generation of Zelda games after Alttp, which would allow such complex programing, presumable for the Game boy series.

Well the alternative here is using a super bomb.  That said, I'm not looking for any flashy animations.  Just switching an overlay from off to on.  The player would be using bombos to blow open the entrance.
Yes, I know. The answer is still the same. This idea is the same as opening of the Turtle rock or the Swamp and similar to Skull wood opening with the fire rod. The code is extensive. You can not even move the same effect which already exists into other areas, imagine what would it take to make a brand new one. For instance: try to move the Turtle rock opening to the Forest, you'll see that it will not work without some heavy ASM reworks and overlay edits with HM, specially when you reset the area, and the overlay must then be on (while it was off before). It took me forever to (for instance) mannage to make the Ganon-tower 7 crystal barrier to work in GoT, yet it is the exact same code as in Alttp.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Mon 29 Aug 2016 - 18:46

Id be more open to using the Crystals if I could bypass the talking maidens, and get them to behave like the Pendants.  I'd imagine that's far too complicated as well.
Euclid disabled the crystal maidens in my hack and you get the crystals in chests instead after defeating the bosses. If that could be an alternative I think I still have the asm file for this somewhere. It allows me to collect more then seven crystals. There are actually 19 crystals to collect in my hack. Nine for the bosses, seven hidden ones and three are hidden inside the Triforce Shrine in the pendants rooms. Crystals were changed into rings so if you get "The One Ring" (magic cape) it adds up to the crystal counter making a tota of 20 rings. Pendants were changed into Triforce Pieces.

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu on Mon 29 Aug 2016 - 23:10

Puzzledude wrote:Turning the dark world area into a light world area is not possible directly, as the game will still consider it a dark world area. You can however modify it though. But skull woods area also has the annoing overlay of dark mist, which can be problematic. Dark world ground is fixed to brown. You can not make it green for instance. Nor can you make the green water blue, unless all water in dark world is changed to blue. Furthermore I would say this area will not allow shallow water tiles. I would say altogether not really recomended to do.
What if I were to use one of the Dark World Death Mountain areas instead?  I'm pretty sure it doesn't share any of it's palettes with the rest of the Dark World.  While the game would still consider it part of the Dark World, perhaps I could use some of those special entrances.  Since I can't use Light World trees then I could settle for Zora Falls trees instead.  I could then replace the Palace of Darkness area with the Death Mountain area as it happens to be one of the four Dark World areas you visit.  I want to make the Dark World darker, less saturated, and rainy so it's fine if it uses the primary Dark World palettes.

Lord SePH wrote:Euclid disabled the crystal maidens in my hack and you get the crystals in chests instead after defeating the bosses. If that could be an alternative I think I still have the asm file for this somewhere. It allows me to collect more then seven crystals. There are actually 19 crystals to collect in my hack. Nine for the bosses, seven hidden ones and three are hidden inside the Triforce Shrine in the pendants rooms. Crystals were changed into rings so if you get "The One Ring" (magic cape) it adds up to the crystal counter making a tota of 20 rings. Pendants were changed into Triforce Pieces.
I've considered putting crystals/pendants in chests as a way of potentially increasing the total number, but it's an alternative I'd rather avoid.  However, it's certainly an option I'm willing to settle for if need be.
Jeimuzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 6:30

What if I were to use one of the Dark World Death Mountain areas instead? I'm pretty sure it doesn't share any of it's palettes with the rest of the Dark World. While the game would still consider it part of the Dark World, perhaps I could use some of those special entrances. Since I can't use Light World trees then I could settle for Zora Falls trees instead. I could then replace the Palace of Darkness area with the Death Mountain area as it happens to be one of the four Dark World areas you visit. I want to make the Dark World darker, less saturated, and rainy so it's fine if it uses the primary Dark World palettes.
I would still say not recomended, as the Dark World Death mountain has the hardcoded flash effect with hardcoded lightning sound, which will not allow any trees as this effect will be flashing on the them, and a lot of other objects actually. To make such radical changes will need somneone who is a pro on overworlds, and I believe not even SePH changed that in Conker, he just modified it to the Casino and left the flashing effect and used it to a new cause. But of course he also used the advanced double layer editing.

Making Zora-domain-like area while using the native Alttp, will need a light world area as default, and the one compatible with shallow water. Dark world areas are left for dark areas, and even then it will require some reorganization. For instance in my GoT hack I decided to change the areas so, that the new big areas are 04, and 06, thus getting rid of annoing death mountain overlays and backdrops in 03 and 05, as well as their dark world death mountain variants with annoing hardcoded flashing effect. Now I can draw brand new areas normally - but in the scope of dark world, not really light world zora domain. I did the same for 5B, with anoing Pyramid backdrop which will not allow any custom areas, and again the same with the anoing dark world swamp with annoing rain. Getting rid of these area numbers by changing the global grid allowed me to make brand new areas. Of course it would also be possible with ASM, but I can tell 5B (pyramid) and dark world death mountain seem to be hardcoded.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu on Wed 31 Aug 2016 - 3:16

Hmm... Well the only alternative left here would be to cram it into the Lost Woods area. I was planning to completely rearrange that area anyway. If need be, I can extend into the lumberjack area as well. It could be a very subtle implication that they're the ones who later cut down most of the trees, lol.
Jeimuzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu on Mon 5 Sep 2016 - 3:31

Puzzledude wrote:This method is based on so called RT (room transfer program) by XaserLe. This dos based program will auto extract all indoor data and put it on the end of the rom with a nice, easy accesible format, so you can find any room with ease with txt search in the hex editor.

The method basically means you construct your overworlds and everything else, except dungeons, in one primary rom, while you work on dungeons in a separate gfx-compatible and indoor-item-compatible rom. Each dungeon in one rom, but compatible with one global-dungeon-grid.

Once you have every dungeon done and tested you run them through RT to "extract" the data, which can now be easy accesible with hex.

In the primary rom you insert precalculated pointers (which never change, since they are fixed to allow max data possible for items, sprites etc), which I made a while back.

Now comes the copy pasting of rooms: items, sprites, objects etc for each room gets copy pasted from RT-extracted roms with dungeons into the primary rom with fixed overworld, gfx, asm etc.

With this method you use max possible dungeon header, items, no sprite limit, no object data limit, all 320 rooms can be filled, not just 295. Rom will never be out of space or bug etc. You can even insert so many sprites that the emulator will slow down and can not handle it.

So it's an advance method of how to efficiantly make use of space and handle data properly. (If only HM would do it like that, it would never bug out). But of course this is considered as advanced method and not really recomended to use. It is easier to just work with HM.

So I had to get back to you on your hex glue method.  Despite you not recomending it, you've made it sound way too appealing for me to give up on it just yet, lol.  The advantages you've mentioned have peaked my interest.  If I'm going to put a lot of time into a hack, I want it to be clean as a whistle.  It would give me peace of mind.  Everything you've mentioned sounds fairly straight forward to me (though I'd imagine it's more complicated than it sounds).  Perhaps I could begin practicing by changing a room in one rom, and seeing if I can move it into another.  

Do you know where I can find RT?  I can only seem to find his RHE program.  Should I ask XaserLE for a copy?

Could I also get a copy of your precalculated pointers (if that's alright with you)?

What about other indoor areas?  Should I build the caves and houses in their own separate roms as well?

Which Hyrule Magic editors bug the rom?  Is it only the dungeon editor?  Because I was under the impression that the title screen editor can bug the rom as well.  I ask because you said you put everything else in one rom.

Btw, where are the extra 25 rooms you speak of?  Are you including hole overlays, or are these extra rooms inaccessible in Hyrule Magic?
Jeimuzu

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Mon 5 Sep 2016 - 6:28

Perhaps I could begin practicing by changing a room in one rom, and seeing if I can move it into another.
That would be the way to go.

Do you know where I can find RT?  I can only seem to find his RHE program.  Should I ask XaserLE for a copy?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Use the shortcut in the most newer post.

Could I also get a copy of your precalculated pointers (if that's alright with you)?
Will try to find where I have this.

What about other indoor areas?  Should I build the caves and houses in their own separate roms as well?
I decided to build those in primary Rom in GoT, but only since I had free space. You can also build them separately.

Which Hyrule Magic editors bug the rom?  Is it only the dungeon editor?  Because I was under the impression that the title screen editor can bug the rom as well.  I ask because you said you put everything else in one rom.
HM should handle title screen edits, but it will not expand the rom correctly, that's its only problem. So when editing the title screen, you need that backup. This happens when data is expanded. For instance you add something: and it not has 1.039 instead of 1.030. HM will write additional data, and end the Rom there (in this case at 1.039), it doesn't know it needs to write and leave the file at 2MB.

Btw, where are the extra 25 rooms you speak of?  Are you including hole overlays, or are these extra rooms inaccessible in Hyrule Magic?
If you take a look at the pointer code for indoor rooms, everything is set up for exactly 320 rooms (data, sprites, jar items etc), so it can never be more than that, but original authors decided to use 295 rooms. HM will not support these additional rooms. Also note, that these rooms can only be houses or caves, not dungeons.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum