The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Post by Darklink7884 on Tue 6 Sep 2016 - 1:39

I know it's been a while since I last worked on Lyra Islands, but I've been busy transferring schools and my life got even more hectic. The original release for Version 2.0 date had been set for Winter/Spring 2016.

Zelda3 Lyra Islands, a Wind Waker inspired hack of A Link to the Past, was abandoned a long time ago by SePH. Only one dungeon was ever completed. The old version is still available for download on this site. I began this project last Summer to revamp/redesign the untouched dungeons, and to finish the game all the way. The demo version will include a new intro, a guardhouse, four Light World dungeons, three mini dungeons, and a new monologue. The final version will include a new ending sequence, a fifth Light World dungeon, three Dark World dungeons, and a new storyline. Also, there will be no pendants, only crystals.

A few weeks ago I resumed work on the project, and I converted the old Castle Tower into a guardhouse. A new intro was also added. Plans for a fourth Light World mini dungeon were scrapped to allow for possible future expansions of the first four Light World dungeons.
Both the Forest Dungeon and Thieves' Hideout mini dungeon are nearing completion. If everything goes according to the current plan, Lyra Islands should be out by 24 September.

Unlike other hacks such as Parallel Worlds and Goddess of Wisdom, Lyra Islands will be a game that's fair to everybody and not force any super tricks or stunts on the player, while still having a decent level of difficulty. You don't have to use cheats or save state to finish the game. You don't have to be a veteran or super player, either. You will not be frustrated while playing.

UPDATE 6/12/2016: As of 9 November, I no longer use Instagram to post project related updates; instead, I created a Facebook page for Lyra Islands where I will post links to uploaded YouTube videos, project updates and announcements, etc.

The official release date for Demo Version 2.0 is set for 31st December 2016, and if everything goes well, the final version may be released on Valentine's Day 2019.

Version 2.0 (Demo) Download: not yet released
Version 3.0 (Final) Demo: not yet released

Last edited by Darklink7884 on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 0:15; edited 5 times in total
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Since : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Post by AntROMhacker on Thu 8 Sep 2016 - 11:59

Seems very nice, finally someone who will make a hack not atrociously hard like im doing!! Cant wait for the release of it!
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2016-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Thu 8 Sep 2016 - 14:09

Good luck finishing this! Wink

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by XaserLE on Thu 8 Sep 2016 - 17:09

I am glad to hear that. I remember looking at the rom with HM an was really sad that this project is abandoned. Very nice that you keep working on it Yes

XaserLE

Since : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fechdog on Fri 9 Sep 2016 - 9:41

I'm always glad to play new Link to the Past hacks! Too bad I didn't see the originating of this project since it sounds interesting. I hope it doesn't die out!

Fechdog
Leever
Leever

Since : 2016-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Fri 9 Sep 2016 - 9:44

Abandonned this almost twelve years ago Wink

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Fri 9 Sep 2016 - 22:37

Yes, I'm fully aware that this Lyra Islands hack was abandoned almost twelve years ago, but I picked it up again as a project last year. Just bear with me, and I will be releasing a Demo Version 2.0 very soon.
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 20:33

Just now, I used a hex editor to disable the pendant phase and force the player to collect only crystals at the end of each main dungeon. Even after I made these changes, the boss in the first dungeon is still dropping the Pendant of Courage, not a crystal. Some help would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqkf01KZOU0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Darklink7884 on Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 20:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I m posting a link to a new YouTube video showing the new problem I encountered.)
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 23:43

Darklink7884 wrote:Just now, I used a hex editor to disable the pendant phase and force the player to collect only crystals at the end of each main dungeon. Even after I made these changes, the boss in the first dungeon is still dropping the Pendant of Courage, not a crystal. Some help would be much appreciated.

If I remember correctly you will need to set this in the "dungeon properties". Go into that and set crystal 1 to the room number where you fight the first boss. You will likely need to the same thing for every boss. Should be pretty easy though once you know where to go.
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 23:45

SunGodPortal wrote:
Darklink7884 wrote:Just now, I used a hex editor to disable the pendant phase and force the player to collect only crystals at the end of each main dungeon. Even after I made these changes, the boss in the first dungeon is still dropping the Pendant of Courage, not a crystal. Some help would be much appreciated.

If I remember correctly you will need to set this in the "dungeon properties". Go into that and set crystal 1 to the room number where you fight the first boss. You will likely need to the same thing for every boss. Should be pretty easy though once you know where to go.

I did all that, and the Armos Knights are still dropping a pendant instead of a crystal.
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by superskuj on Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 23:58

The game's gonna check the dungeon ID to see which reward to drop, and that gets set by the last entrance you used. So make sure all entrances which lead to this dungeon have one that would normally drop a crystal set as the dungeon. After you do that, make sure to set the final room of that dungeon's properties to this one.

superskuj

Since : 2015-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 10:19

Hello, PuzzleDude.

As you may know, I'm working on revamping Zelda3 Lyra Islands. The Demo version was originally scheduled for release in Winter/Spring 2016, but it got pushed back to late September. There will be three mini-dungeons, seven crystal dungeons, one guardhouse, and Ganon gets his own castle in the Dark World.

Anyways, I used a hex editor to disable the pendants and force the player collect only crystals at the end of each dungeon, but even then the boss in the 1st dungeon still drops a pendant. Is there a way to get that fixed?

Superskuj was right, it CAN be done. I actually never knew this, since I always used the original dark world boss rooms.

This is how you do it. You must exchange the pendant1 and the crystal1, since you now only want crystals, but you are clearly in a dungeon which used to be pendant1 dungeon.

So I'm assuming, you still used entrance 08 for this dungeon. Double click on this entrance, and under "dungeon" under starting location properties, you should see "east". This is the well known dungeon entrance definition, which will determine which small keys, maps, compasses and big key will be checked for which dungeon. You can thus assign this for many entrances to make a multi entrance dungeon etc etc.

In your case change this from "east" to "dark". This will change the definition from pendant1 dungeon to crystal1 dungeon. To be on the safe side: change "dark" to "east" on entrance 26. Since otherwise entrance 26 will be the same dungeon as this one. Or in other words, you can not use entrance 26 anymore, since this will now be for pendant1.

But one more thing must be done, otherwise the Crystal animation will freeze.
Under dungeon properties you need to again swap pendant1 and crystal1. So now the pendant1 rooms are: 90, 90, 74 and crystal1 rooms must be 200, 200, 201. This is in HM as a completely separate tab.

Now the Armos in room 200 will indeed drop a crystal (but now Helmasaur will drop a pendant). I tested this out and it works.
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 13:07

Puzzledude wrote:
Hello, PuzzleDude.

As you may know, I'm working on revamping Zelda3 Lyra Islands. The Demo version was originally scheduled for release in Winter/Spring 2016, but it got pushed back to late September. There will be three mini-dungeons, seven crystal dungeons, one guardhouse, and Ganon gets his own castle in the Dark World.

Anyways, I used a hex editor to disable the pendants and force the player collect only crystals at the end of each dungeon, but even then the boss in the 1st dungeon still drops a pendant. Is there a way to get that fixed?

Superskuj was right, it CAN be done. I actually never knew this, since I always used the original dark world boss rooms.

This is how you do it. You must exchange the pendant1 and the crystal1, since you now only want crystals, but you are clearly in a dungeon which used to be pendant1 dungeon.

So I'm assuming, you still used entrance 08 for this dungeon. Double click on this entrance, and under "dungeon" under starting location properties, you should see "east". This is the well known dungeon entrance definition, which will determine which small keys, maps, compasses and big key will be checked for which dungeon. You can thus assign this for many entrances to make a multi entrance dungeon etc etc.

In your case change this from "east" to "dark". This will change the definition from pendant1 dungeon to crystal1 dungeon. To be on the safe side: change "dark" to "east" on entrance 26. Since otherwise entrance 26 will be the same dungeon as this one. Or in other words, you can not use entrance 26 anymore, since this will now be for pendant1.

But one more thing must be done, otherwise the Crystal animation will freeze.
Under dungeon properties you need to again swap pendant1 and crystal1. So now the pendant1 rooms are: 90, 90, 74 and crystal1 rooms must be 200, 200, 201. This is in HM as a completely separate tab.

Now the Armos in room 200 will indeed drop a crystal (but now Helmasaur will drop a pendant). I tested this out and it works.

I did all of that, and it worked. To be on the safe side, for Entrances 09 and 0B I changed the dungeon entrance definition from "Desert" to "Mud," and I did something similar to Entrance 33. Now, I am able to collect crystals instead of pendants in the first three dungeons. Thank you so much for the help, PuzzleDude.

Now, for my next question. How do I change the indoor wall blocksets for certain entrances? On Entrance 1F, which is now the top floor exit for Ganon's Castle, I want to change the indoor wall blockset so that it looks more like Ganon's Castle. For Entrances 26 and 2D, I want them to look more like a Light World dungeon. I know I'm going to need a hex editor to change the indoor wall blocksets.
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 13:56

Now, for my next question. How do I change the indoor wall blocksets for certain entrances? On Entrance 1F, which is now the top floor exit for Ganon's Castle, I want to change the indoor wall blockset so that it looks more like Ganon's Castle.
Entrance 1F default is wall blockset 6 = cave walls. To change that to Ganon walls, you need to double click on the 1F entrance in the dungeon editor of HM and then on the left side under "starting location" change the "room" to a new value (bellow 255) for the Ganon dungeon, under "blockset" change it to 14 (note: this is actually wall blockset as oposed to the room blockset in the very upper section of the editor), since this is what Ganon-dungeon is using and under "dungeon" it need to be "Agahnim2" and under "music" select "dungeon". Now the entrance is compatible to Ganon-dungeon.

You can also fix the entry point here: either you start left, middle or right. Default for 1F is middle:
middle is:
Y:472, X:248, Y scroll:272, X scroll:128, CX:255, CY:391.

Of course you can change this to left or right too if needed.
left is:
Y:472, X:120, Y scroll:272, X scroll:0, CX:127, CY:391.

right is:
Y:472, X:376, Y scroll:272, X scroll:256, CX:383, CY:391.

Finally fix the properties under More button (if needed):
entrance doorway is always "vertical"

Plane is usually bg1, but you can also start on bg2 if necessary.

Ladder level is 0 by default.

Scroll is either horizontal, vertical, both, or none. Depends on the global Layout of the room.

which is now the top floor exit for Ganon's Castle.
Floor is 0, unless you start on some orthodox floor like 2F or 3F. So in your case the "floor" should be set somewhere around 5= 6F (I forgot how many floors does Ganon-dungeon have or where your exit/entrance is).

Scrolling edges should be left as they are, while house exit door must be "none" for the dungeon.

For Entrances 26 and 2D, I want them to look more like a Light World dungeon. I know I'm going to need a hex editor to change the indoor wall blocksets.
Entrance 26 default is pendant1 = dark palace. 2D default is pendant5 = ice dungeon.
Entrance 26 wall blockset default is 7, change to 1, if you want something more like a light world dungeons. Note: wall blockset 1 is standard. Same for 2D. Default is 11, which are ice/snow walls. Changing this to 1 will make it normal/standard walls.

You actually don't need a hex editor for this, since loading walls is just one byte value, which can be done with HM directly by changing the number.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 11:49

I made some important changes just days before Zelda3 Lyra Islands' scheduled release date.

** I updated the intro.
** There is a guardhouse near the Beach Village.
** There are no pendants, only crystals.
** Due to initial technical difficulties with trying to get certain bosses to drop crystals instead of pendants (which I was able to fix, thanks for the help PuzzleDude), I had to switch some dungeon entrance definitions around.
** The Haunted Houseboat mini dungeon will not happen anymore! Instead, it will serve as a basement floor (B1F) to Lv2 Sand Temple. NOTE: You may only access the basement in the Sand Temple after completing the Thieves' Hideout mini dungeon.
** The Big Key is no longer required to get the Power Glove from the Sand Temple.
** The top floor of Lv8 Ganon's Castle (7F) will have an entrance leading right up to the final battle with Ganon.
** Instead of making the dungeon maps inaccessible to player, I will update all of them to include the changed layout of the dungeons themtself.

I have been trying for a very long time to change the indoor wall blocksets on certain entrances. Simply changing the numbers themselves with HM doesn't work, and it keeps reverting back to the original wall blockets after I close out the window. I am at a loss, now.
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 12:47

I have been trying for a very long time to change the indoor wall blocksets on certain entrances. Simply changing the numbers themselves with HM doesn't work, and it keeps reverting back to the original wall blockets after I close out the window. I am at a loss, now.
I'm not really sure why you are having this problem, since this is easy to edit.

I downloaded SePH's Lyra Islands Demo from acmlm, and change the 1F entrance.

The wall blockset for entrance 1F is at 153A0 (no header). Change 06 (cave walls) to 0E (=14= Ganon-dungeon walls). Or indeed into 01, classic walls. There is an entire table for which wall blockset should be loaded for each entrance, so 153A1, should be walls for entrance 20 etc. All the way to 153A4, all values are 06, since we have 5 entrances in a row here, which were originally caves. Like said this should be easy to edit, either in HM or hex. It is a different thing though if the rom go bugged for some reason, however this hardly is the case, since the number of entrances is fixed and thus the table never changes its length and is always one byte for one entrance.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 13:07

So far, only two dungeon maps have been modified to reflect thew new layouts of the first two dungeons. Eventually, ALL of them will be modified.

Level-1: Lava Lake

Level-2: Sand Temple

Note that the two dungeons are similar in size (not including the basement floors in the 2nd dungeon), but they will have brand new puzzles and hidden clues.

Last edited by Darklink7884 on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 13:43; edited 2 times in total
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 13:39

I'm not really sure why you are having this problem, since this is easy to edit.

I downloaded SePH's Lyra Islands Demo from acmlm, and change the 1F entrance.

The wall blockset for entrance 1F is at 153A0 (no header). Change 06 (cave walls) to 0E (=14= Ganon-dungeon walls). Or indeed into 01, classic walls. There is an entire table for which wall blockset should be loaded for each entrance, so 153A1, should be walls for entrance 20 etc. All the way to 153A4, all values are 06, since we have 5 entrances in a row here, which were originally caves. Like said this should be easy to edit, either in HM or hex. It is a different thing though if the rom go bugged for some reason, however this hardly is the case, since the number of entrances is fixed and thus the table never changes its length and is always one byte for one entrance.

It worked! I have no issues with buggy roms.
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 14:06

It worked!
Tld you, it wo®ks.

I have no issues with buggy roms.
Every modder will encounter those at some point.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Mon 19 Sep 2016 - 12:11

WARNING! There are a lot of false walls and Wall Masters in the Forest Dungeon. I will use star plates to indicate the presence of a false wall or hidden treasure chest (I forgot to add one in this particular room).

The Thieves' Hideout mini dungeon near the beach village also has a false wall. Ganon's Castle, which will not be fully completed until the final version comes out, will feature false walls.

On a side note, I updated the dungeon map to reflect the new layout of the Forest Dungeon. I tried to add a second floor, and HM kept giving me an error message saying "Not enough room," or something similar. So I left it as is.
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Mon 19 Sep 2016 - 19:53

I am currently working on the Thieves' Hideout mini dungeon. Blind the Thief will be the sole guardian of the stolen Master Sword, which is found at the end of the dungeon. Both the red boomerang and the hammer are required to get in.

I ran into a serious problem with Hyrule Magic; I want to change the room color and blockset in Rooms 129 and 130, but every time I do that with HM, it gives me a bad error message saying "The header of room 130 is reused. Modify this one only?" I know some rooms share headers and I'll likely need the hex editor, but something needs to be done about this problem ASAP.
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Tue 20 Sep 2016 - 7:19

The header of room 130 is reused. Modify this one only?
That's not really a problem, but a fact. The game has (absolutely) no room for additional room-header expansions. This message is not a bug at all, but a reminder that the room header is shared between 2 or more rooms. If you press Yes, you will "header-detwin" the rooms and you will thus need a lot more space, which will fill the header up, so always choose No (note: this will also edit the twin room).
Choose Yes only if you have transfered the header to 120000 with HM 964.

No room for room header.
This message means that the header-space is filled up and the game is thus again in a bugged situation, as it attempts to write over the given space.

The fastest and most recomended solution is to use the latest HM 964 (instead of 963). Note: the program might still be labeled as 963. But you will know, that you have the right one, if the program has the function Move Headers under Edit. You simply must use this function: and move the headers by changing the number to 120000, while having the rom expanded to 2MB. This should give the game enough space to have unlimited room-header space, ie max possible for each room (in which case always choose Yes to detwin them all, since this is how it should be).
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Dungeon Expansions

Post by Darklink7884 on Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 17:51

So yesterday I found time to work on Zelda3 Lyra Islands, and I decided to expand the Sand Dungeon after seeing lots of unused cave space in Hyrule Magic. Eventually I may decide to expand the Mountain Tower and the Forest Dungeon as well.

Also, I wanted to thank all of you guys for being awesomely patient as I have been working on his project for more than a year now. Just to clear up some of your worries, I would to get Demo Version 2.0 out there and have no reason to outright cancel the project, but things can get hectic for me since I'm in college, and me not having enough time to work on the project is just an unavoidable consequence. With that said, the official release date for Demo Version 2.0 is the 31st of December 2016, and the final version will be ready sometime in early 2019.

Last edited by Darklink7884 on Fri 21 Oct 2016 - 22:12; edited 1 time in total
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Redesigned Light World Dungeons

Post by Darklink7884 on Fri 21 Oct 2016 - 22:04

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but for the past two weeks I've been busy with midterms at my college. Now that I got that out of the way, I found some time yesterday to work on Lyra Islands. The 2nd crystal dungeon is now fully complete and has a new name; Level 2: Island Palace.

A new Light World area has been added and will serve as the main entrance to the 2nd dungeon. The Dark Palace graphics seen here are buggy. Is there a way to edit graphics in Hyrule Magic?

Meanwhile, the Mountain Tower is currently being redesigned again (I am about half-way finished), and this time I hit a roadblock. Since rooms 242 and 243 share headers with each other, I am not able to change the header properties in either room. If I try even once to change the header properties, the changes are not implemented, and I get an error message saying "The header of room 24x is reused. Modify this room only?" Looks like I'm going to have to get HM 964 which supposedly lets me move headers around (look for that function under the "edit" menu).

P.S, rooms 242 and 243, which used to be sahasrahla's house in LttP, are supposed to be part of the fourth floor in the Mountain Tower.

Here are some pictures of the changes that I've made in the Mountain Tower so far (not including rooms 242 and 243, which I'm currently having problems with). The dungeon map will soon be redesigned to reflect the dungeon's new layout.

Last edited by Darklink7884 on Fri 21 Oct 2016 - 22:20; edited 1 time in total
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 7:17

Is there a way to edit graphics in Hyrule Magic?
No, you can't, since they are compressed. You need zcompress to decompress them and the gfx editor such as yychr.

Since rooms 242 and 243 share headers with each other, I am not able to change the header properties in either room. If I try even once to change the header properties, the changes are not implemented, and I get an error message saying "The header of room 24x is reused. Modify this room only?"
With Hyrule Magic 964 there's an option to move header's to the back of the Rom to have unlimited header space for all rooms.

The message "the header data is reused, modify this one only?" is not a bug, but an info. When you have headers moved, choose "yes" here to header-detwin the rooms 242 and 243.

You also have data twin rooms, where you always choose "yes".
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum