The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Post by Darklink7884 on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 12:36

Puzzledude wrote:
Is there a way to edit graphics in Hyrule Magic?
No, you can't, since they are compressed. You need zcompress to decompress them and the gfx editor such as yychr.

Since rooms 242 and 243 share headers with each other, I am not able to change the header properties in either room. If I try even once to change the header properties, the changes are not implemented, and I get an error message saying "The header of room 24x is reused. Modify this room only?"
With Hyrule Magic 964 there's an option to move header's to the back of the Rom to have unlimited header space for all rooms.

The message "the header data is reused, modify this one only?" is not a bug, but an info. When you have headers moved, choose "yes" here to header-detwin the rooms 242 and 243.

You also have data twin rooms, where you always choose "yes".

I would love to have unlimited header space for all rooms especially in rooms 242 and 243. But what do I need to do to move the headers to the back of the rom, which supposedly gives me unlimited header space?
Darklink7884

Since : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 14:33

I would love to have unlimited header space for all rooms especially in rooms 242 and 243. But what do I need to do to move the headers to the back of the rom, which supposedly gives me unlimited header space?
Open ROM in hex and expand it to 200000 by adding 00 bytes with the edit/insert bytes command or indeed choose the Lunar Expand for the job and expand to 2MB Lorom.

Open ROM with Hyrule Magic 964, choose Edit/Move Pointers/Move header. In the new window "Move data" there should be a value 27502= ie default location for header data. Change value to 150000 and press move. This will move headers to 150000 in hex. Go to 150000 with a hex editor to view the data in hex. At this location you will have unlimited header: or in other words all rooms will be separate/not sharing header and will be able to address even up to Staircase-4= max possible bytes for header data.

Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 15:13

HM v0.964: http://dl.dropbox.com/s/o8jm3nv2l5ycijm/HM%20%28New%29.zip

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 15:31

Lord SePH wrote:HM v0.964: http://dl.dropbox.com/s/o8jm3nv2l5ycijm/HM%20%28New%29.zip

Nice. Irronically the "About" still says version 962. While it is in fact 964. Just wanted to point that out. I rememebr when I renamed that file to (New) to ensure this is the correct version, as it has this moving header option.

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 23:40

Turns out my rom file was already at 2MB.

I used HM 964 to move the headers to the back of the rom, and now I have unlimited header space. With that, I was able to header-detwin rooms 242 and 243.

What surprised me the most was the fact that HM 964 lets me edit indoor wall blocksets on certain entrances by simply changing the numbers, and my new settings were saved when I close out the window (this was not possible with previous versions of HM). My reaction to that was pretty much "son of a b****!"

Last edited by Darklink7884 on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 23:48; edited 1 time in total
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by  on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 23:44

Yeah no need to edit them in hex with that version!

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sat 22 Oct 2016 - 23:44

Also, the Armos Knights in the Lava Lake (Lv1) were replaced with a Moldorm.

The Moldorm in the Mountain Tower was replaced with Armos Knights

Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Mon 24 Oct 2016 - 13:30

Just a heads up, the entrance for the Water Temple has been moved from the Dark World to the south side of the Light World.  To get there, you must have the Flippers, which are found in the Thieves' Hideout mini-dungeon near the Beach Village.

Most of the Water Temple is closed off for reconstruction. You can only access three rooms. The Water Temple will be fully accessible in the final version.

Meanwhile, the Potion Shop was moved from the south side of the Light World to the Beach Village.

Last edited by Darklink7884 on Tue 25 Oct 2016 - 0:43; edited 1 time in total
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Mon 24 Oct 2016 - 22:07

Okay.

I want to use zcompress to decompress the graphics and then the gfx editor such as yychr.

However, I did everything correctly as stated in the readme, and I still get an error message saying:

"The ROM is either in the wrong game title, or has the wrong file format."

I am at a loss now, and I need to find a way to fix the buggy graphics. PuzzleDude, is there another compressor that I can use?
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Tue 25 Oct 2016 - 1:53

I know I've said it before, but eventually ALL dungeon maps will be edited to reflect the new layout of the dungeons themselves.

I decided to throw in a floor switch puzzle in one of the rooms in the Forest Temple. Find the correct one to win a dungeon map.

Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Tue 25 Oct 2016 - 6:36

Darklink7884 wrote:Okay.

I want to use zcompress to decompress the graphics and then the gfx editor such as yychr.

However, I did everything correctly as stated in the readme, and I still get an error message saying:

"The ROM is either in the wrong game title, or has the wrong file format."

I am at a loss now, and I need to find a way to fix the buggy graphics. PuzzleDude, is there another compressor that I can use?
There is no other commpressor. But this one works fine you just need to set a couple of things first:
1.) rom must be 2MB (or more) and with header, thus it must end at 2001FF.
2.) the internal-header-rom-name must be "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" and not for instance Lyra Islands. This is just before the 8000 in hex.
as suggested by "The ROM is either in the wrong game title".
3.) when recompressing the address 87200 must be choosen, otherwise bugs will appear.

Also note: that the buggy graphics can be a result of false overworld editing (not connected with gfx editing), or sometimes even ASM, but it can also in fact be an gfx problem.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Tue 25 Oct 2016 - 6:38; edited 1 time in total

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sun 30 Oct 2016 - 22:12

Change of plans. The Water Temple, which is more than half-way finished, will be fully accessible in Demo Version 2.0. Once again, the entrance for the Water Temple was moved from the Dark World to the Light World.

I decided to use Vitreous as the mini-boss, and Arrghus as the main guardian of the fifth crystal.

Unfortunately, Arrghus is way too easy to defeat with the Lv3 sword and I need to find a way to increase the strength of Arrghus, just to balance things out a bit and maintain a certain level of challenge. The same goes for Mothula in the Forest Temple (Lv4).

PuzzleDude, is it possible to use HM to increase the strength of certain enemies and make them take more hits to defeat?
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 5:34

PuzzleDude, is it possible to use HM to increase the strength of certain enemies and make them take more hits to defeat?
No, you will need a program by Euclid called Hyrule Add-ons, which can increase or decrease the strength of the sprites. The program also needs the dlls to be registered if you are using any Windows above XP. The program with instructions should be on site.

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 10:22

I found the program with instructions from the site, and I got the missing dll and had it registered. Everything is going well, until I try to open my modified Lyra Islands rom with Hyrule Addons, at which point it gives me an error message saying "This is not zelda 3 rom".

I have Windows 10 on my PC, btw.
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 10:46

Darklink7884 wrote:I found the program with instructions from the site, and I got the missing dll and had it registered. Everything is going well, until I try to open my modified Lyra Islands rom with Hyrule Addons, at which point it gives me an error message saying "This is not zelda 3 rom".

I have Windows 10 on my PC, btw.
If you can open the program, then you have registered the dlls correctly. I believe you also need to add the header to the rom, otherwise it will not work.

But you win in either case, since you can load the original Rom in the program, edit the desired sprite or boss HP out. Then hex-compare the original AlttP with the one with the edited monster to gain a hex-address and which byte to change into what value. The location should be the same for all AlttP hacks as Hyrule Magic does not have access to this part of the Rom and can not replace the locations, neither can Hyrule add-ons.

So the location of the sprite's HP should thus be the same for the Lyra Islands Rom. But I think Lyra Islands can also be loaded in the program once you set the 200 byte header and possibly the internal rom name.

Also note: some changed values can result in bugs. For instance: raising the byte which controls the HP of Helmasaur might not mean that he will need more hits to defeat. Some sprites are complex and will not allow changes at all. Not sure how Arghus will react to HP changes, since the boss is made out of many sprites and has 2 states. Only sprites with one state tend to react on HP changes. You can also control the "damage given" to Link by the sprite.

For instance in GoW I edited out the Armos knights: in AlttP then do half a hart of damage and need 3 arrows to defeat; in GoW I could change this to: 4 hearts of damage and 8 arrows to defeat (but not valid for the final red Armos).

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Official Facebook page for Lyra Islands

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 9 Nov 2016 - 2:18

I created a Facebook page to keep track of current project progress and to post updates. I will also be using it to post screenshots and videos of what i have so far.

https://www.facebook.com/Darklink7884/?ref=page_internal
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnachy69 on Wed 9 Nov 2016 - 9:25

When can whe download this version of demo?
Dark?

Arnachy69

Since : 2015-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 9 Nov 2016 - 10:52

It hasn't been officially released yet, and I won't have it ready until the end of the year. I still need to fix the broken graphics, and raise the strength of certain enemies (i.e. Arrghus) just to balance things out a bit and maintain a certain level of challenge.
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by Somaria on Mon 14 Nov 2016 - 2:40

Honestly, this looks pretty good. I look forward to playing it in the future.
Somaria
Newcomer

Since : 2016-09-28

Back to top Go down

New Facebook Page & Updates for The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 0:29

UPDATE 6/12/2016: In case you don't know already.....
As of 8 November, I no longer use Instagram to post project related updates; instead, I created a Facebook page for Lyra Islands where I will post links to uploaded YouTube videos, project updates and announcements, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/Darklink7884/

Also, I know it's been a while since I last posted an update here, but so far my college schedule at SDSU has been hectic with class projects, readings, and upcoming final exams. After my finals are over, I will resume work on Lyra Islands. I need to find a way to add back the header so that I can fix the broken castle graphics. I'd also like to increase the strength of certain enemies (Arrghus, Kholdstare, Vitreous, Trinexx).

I'm thinking of adding a new items menu similar to the one found in Parallel Worlds.

I was able to edit/fix the Tower of Hera graphics with Hyrule Magic.

The official release date for Demo Version 2.0 is still set for 31st December 2016, and if everything goes well, the final version may be released on Valentine's Day 2019.
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 17:47

I advise you to check out this sprite editor that was in the tools selection so you can edit enemy health... https://www.zeldix.net/t1254-zelda-3-sprite-editor It is a lot easier to use then useing HAO.

AntROMhacker

Since : 2016-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 18:23

PuzzleDude recommended me a sprite editor called Hyrule Addons by Euclid but I didn't like that one too much. It kept crashing on me, and it required specific DLL files to open. Yours gave me no trouble at all. Thank you so much for your help.

But I still need to find a way to add back the header so that I can use ZCompress to fix the buggy/broken graphics.
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 19:19

But I still need to find a way to add back the header so that I can use ZCompress to fix the buggy/broken graphics.

You can download a dedicated program for this but since I never use them anymore I've forgotten the names. One easy way to add your header back is to open the ROM in a hex editor and then add 200 bytes at the beginning of the ROM.

Also, if you have the latest version of Zcompress you shouldn't need a header. This issue was fixed near the end of last year.
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 21:17

Darklink7884 wrote:PuzzleDude recommended me a sprite editor called Hyrule Addons by Euclid but I didn't like that one too much. It kept crashing on me, and it required specific DLL files to open. Yours gave me no trouble at all. Thank you so much for your help.

Anytime man. You know theres a tool that i actually added in the tools section named SNESHacking stuff, check it out it lets you add or remove headers, other important things to.

AntROMhacker

Since : 2016-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 21:55

SunGodPortal wrote:Also, if you have the latest version of Zcompress you shouldn't need a header. This issue was fixed near the end of last year.

You're incorrect. Here's a message from PuzzleDude posted on this forum topic in Oct 2016:

PuzzleDude wrote:you just need to set a couple of things first:
1.) rom must be 2MB (or more) and with header, thus it must end at 2001FF.
2.) the internal-header-rom-name must be "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" and not for instance Lyra Islands. This is just before the 8000 in hex.
as suggested by "The ROM is either in the wrong game title".
3.) when recompressing the address 87200 must be choosen, otherwise bugs will appear.

Also note: that the buggy graphics can be a result of false overworld editing (not connected with gfx editing), or sometimes even ASM, but it can also in fact be an gfx problem.

Additionally, ZCompress is actually used to decompress the graphics, and then I should use a gfx editor such as yychr. Sorry for the mixup.
Darklink7884

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum