The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Lyra Islands (Hack)

Post by SunGodPortal on Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 23:51

You're incorrect.

No. I'm the one who pestered FuSoYa until he fixed this issue. He uploaded the new version (on his website, FuSoYa's Niche) last Christmas.

FuSoYa's readme wrote:Version 1.10 December 25, 2015

-added 64 bit build of the program, which you can find in the
x64 folder.
-added support for ROMs without a copier header.

If you are having problems it shouldn't be related to the header. The ROM doesn't have to be 2MB or larger either, it just has to be of a standard size like 1MB, 1.5MB, 2MB, etc. A ROM that has been heavily edited in Hyrule Magic will have one of those goofy-ass sizes like 1,027kb or something similar. SNES games were all specific sizes and your ROM needs to be one of those sizes to remain compatible with certain programs, emus and devices.
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 4:07

Since qwerty successfully implemented msu-1 support for snes9x, would it be possible to give his source code to FuSoYa, so also zsnes supports this?
I think msu1 really helps keeping snes alive and the more systems support it, the more patches we can expect... Wink
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 4:29

Can't we just let ZSNES die already? Razz

Snes9x really is THE SNES emulator to use, whether it's the main PC releases, the libretro cores, or any of the dozens of forks on almost as many platforms. It has the features people want, it runs circles around bsnes performance-wise, it's open source, it's portable, and as of ~1.53, they've made some really significant accuracy improvements over the pre-1.5 era, and it's still under somewhat active development. zsnes has essentially none of those things, except speed.

I mean, if you really want to, nobody's going to stop you, but there will be a good number of us watching from the sidelines and just shaking our heads and asking WHY Razz
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 7:06

PuzzleDude recommended me a sprite editor called Hyrule Addons by Euclid
That's because this was the only one, until superskuj reprogramed it/used its base to make a more advanced sprite editor, which is doing the same (only more advanced).

You're incorrect. Here's a message from PuzzleDude posted on this forum topic in Oct 2016:
That's because I still use the old version. The new version of zcompress does not need a header anymore, and thus the recompression address is then 87000 instead of 87200.
Your choice which version to use.

Can't we just let ZSNES die already?
Not so soon, since snes9x needs the directX accelerators. And if you don't have those installed, it is giving you an error and doesn't load. Some people think it thus doesn't work and switch to Zsnes. The latter also run on much older PCs.
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 15:10

Puzzledude wrote:Not so soon, since snes9x needs the directX accelerators. And if you don't have those installed, it is giving you an error and doesn't load. Some people think it thus doesn't work and switch to Zsnes.
PEBKAC should be addressed by better documentation, or possibly even an installer package that can detect and download them for you.

The latter also run on much older PCs.
Which won't continue to be the case if you keep adding new features which will inevitably require newer hardware or driver support.
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 15:33

Sorry to help derail the conversation, but I still use ZSNES too. I remember liking SNES9x better about 10-15 years ago, but somewhere along the line I got a new computer and it seemed nearly impossible for me to configure the sound in SNES9x to where it didn't crackle or sound distorted. I got used to using ZSNES after that and even started to like it. ZSNES savestates are also compatible with YY-CHR, which is one of my most frequented tools besides HM. The latest version of SNES9x doesn't seem to have the sound issues I experienced before, but at this point I'm used to ZSNES and do my gaming on a real SNES, so I'm not likely to go back any time soon.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 18:53

The new version of zcompress does not need a header anymore, and thus the recompression address is then 87000 instead of 87200.

I'd like to come back to this. I think FuSoYa must have set it up to where you wouldn't have to change the address to adjust for the 200 byte difference. I never thought about changing the address once I started using the new version on my headerless ROM, but the GFX still end up at the proper location in the ROM despite me still using the original command from the readme (that was designed for a headered ROM).
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 20:21

Lol, sometimes I really love playing zsnes. I do not know why, but I'd prefer it over snes9x if there was a debug options. Though you are of course right with the advantages of snes9x.
However, I'd leave the decision to the user, respectively to fusoya, whether he wants to implement your code in a next version. There's no harm if you'd send him your code and leave the rest to him Wink
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo on Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 20:48

Sometimes I'll pull it up for the nostalgia too, I'm not trying to wipe it out of existence. I'm just saying that trying to bring it back to life after all this time isn't ever going to be what people might hope for. If they completely overhaul the accuracy, you lose performance and by extension the ability to run on older systems. Without increasing the accuracy, adding debug options would be a terrible idea because you'd end up with even more broken hacks that only run on ZSNES, and that would set things back years in terms of the progress made on that front (in fact, part of the reason I really wanted to add MSU to Snes9x was to avoid people making the false equivalence between broken hacks that only work on zsnes and msu hacks that some people derisively referred to as "bsnes-only" as if the two situations were one and the same). Sure, keep zsnes use it, whatever, but I'd just rather not see it go back into active development. From what I've heard, the code is quite ugly to deal with anyway, it would probably be easier to start from scratch.
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Fri 9 Dec 2016 - 6:41

I'd like to come back to this. I think FuSoYa must have set it up to where you wouldn't have to change the address to adjust for the 200 byte difference. I never thought about changing the address once I started using the new version on my headerless ROM, but the GFX still end up at the proper location in the ROM despite me still using the original command from the readme (that was designed for a headered ROM).
Thats because the segment from 87000 to 87200 remained in the old code. You wrote your new code 200 off. This basically means your situation is this:
-87000-87200 (old code, irrelevant, equivalent to empty)
-87200-to end of global bank (new gfx code)
-FF bytes until next global section (ie empty space for gfx)
CPU knows where to start reading though. That's why you had no problems.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Fri 9 Dec 2016 - 15:08

Puzzledude wrote:Thats because the segment from 87000 to 87200 remained in the old code. You wrote your new code 200 off. This basically means your situation is this:
-87000-87200 (old code, irrelevant, equivalent to empty)
-87200-to end of global bank (new gfx code)
-FF bytes until next global section (ie empty space for gfx)
CPU knows where to start reading though. That's why you had no problems

Makes sense, but at the same time, when I open my ROM up in YY-CHR, the graphics that started at 87000 still appear to be at the same address.

PS, don't worry Darklink7884, we can delete all this off topic stuff later.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Fri 9 Dec 2016 - 16:07

Makes sense, but at the same time, when I open my ROM up in YY-CHR, the graphics that started at 87000 still appear to be at the same address.
Opening the ROM, which has compressed gfx, in a gfx editor will do you no good, except for the Link's uncompressed gfx. But, look at the address, Link is at 85000. It is a question what addresses is YYchr displying here, since like said you are viewing compressed gfx.

YY is however capable of displying the gfx addresses correctly once uncompressed, but then it is in a separate file, thus counting from 0.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Fri 9 Dec 2016 - 17:44

Opening the ROM, which has compressed gfx, in a gfx editor will do you no good, except for the Link's uncompressed gfx.

For viewing the graphics properly, yes. But you can still see where the graphics are located even if they look garbled in their compressed format. Any time I've opened the ROM, Link was at 80000. Also, the graphics which are actually located at 87000 are not compressed when in the ROM, they are just in 3BPP format**. Maybe I'm overlooking something here. Perhaps 87200/87000 is just used as a reference point rather than where things are actually going to be placed..?

**Which is funny because in the bin file they are in 4BPP instead.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Fri 9 Dec 2016 - 19:55

Any time I've opened the ROM, Link was at 80000.
That's true.

Also, the graphics which are actually located at 87000 are not compressed when in the ROM, they are just in 3BPP format**.
But they are compressed (I'm talking about 87000 in the hex editor). Why do you think Fusoya programed a program for decompression. I also only see 2BPP and 4BPP and no 3BPP options in YY.

Maybe I'm overlooking something here. Perhaps 87200/87000 is just used as a reference point rather than where things are actually going to be placed..?
Not a reference. This is the actual hex address of the starting point of the hex code for gfx. The program also tells you at which address the code ends.

Which is funny because in the bin file they are in 4BPP instead.
SNES is always 4BPP, which is 16 bit, while 2BPP is 8 bit.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sun 18 Dec 2016 - 19:32

I found a 6-year old two-part tutorial on how to use Hyrule Magic to import music to A Link to the Past. In one of the comments, the video poster says that note-by-note typing is really the only way to import music into A Link to the Past. But I'd like to hear your guys' opinions, as I will be importing the Great Sea and Windfall Island themes from Wind Waker, and House theme from OoT.

Here's Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo1apIVXPhk
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Since : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker on Sun 18 Dec 2016 - 20:08

I don't think it's that easy just to import themes from anthor game into a ALTTP rom, I'm NO expert but from the sounds of it sounds very complicated.
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2016-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sun 18 Dec 2016 - 20:20

AntROMhacker wrote:I don't think it's that easy just to import themes from anthor game into a ALTTP rom, I'm NO expert but from the sounds of it sounds very complicated.

It will def be a lot simpler than trying the same task on the NES where every game seems to have it's own somewhat unique sound engine. Things for the SNES were much more uniform. I plan on studying the music for ALttP in the near future so we'll see exactly how complicated it is. Odds are, it would be much easier to do with a hex editor than a half-crippled program like Hyrule Magic.

Puzzledude wrote:I also only see 2BPP and 4BPP and no 3BPP options in YY.

Are you using YY-CHR or YY-CHR.net? I use YY-CHR. The two do not have identical feature sets.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Fri 23 Dec 2016 - 12:39

This question is for SePH, one of the original authors of Parallel Worlds; since you helped import new music into PW, do you know of a faster way to do so via Hyrule Magic?
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Fri 23 Dec 2016 - 17:10

This is how you do it.

Too bad we don't know the person who made these 2 videos, since he probably is the only one who knows how to do this.

Making/inserting custom music with Hyrule Magic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo1apIVXPhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE6AG1xEObM
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklink7884 on Sat 31 Dec 2016 - 22:27

Unfortunately I will not be able to release my Lyra Islands demo tonight because I haven't finished importing all of the music into LttP. Note by note typing is unfortunately the only way to import music, and it's really time consuming and easy to mess up on if you're a newbie like me, and if you're not careful. I will have it ready sometime next week.

I also need to find a way to edit the copyright on the title screen and change "2005" to "2017."
Darklink7884
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 0:41

Darklink7884 wrote:I also need to find a way to edit the copyright on the title screen and change "2005" to "2017."

Part of that will involve using zcompress to extract the graphics. You can probably do the rest (rearranging the tiles if need be) in HM.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo on Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 2:20

The copyright date is a sprite, not a BG character. It's a pain to update, because the 2nd and 3rd digits are tied together. Conn posted an ASM hack at one point to add a large text box over the copyright text area, but it seems to be broken because when I tried it, it caused the Master Sword to disappear. The easiest way would be to black out all of the GFX tiles for the original copyright date, then just draw a new one with unused tiles onto BG1 or BG2 in the title screen editor.
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 7:16

The easiest way would be to black out all of the GFX tiles for the original copyright date, then just draw a new one with unused tiles onto BG1 or BG2 in the title screen editor.
Exactly. This is what I always do.
Practically every hack is using this strategy.
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum