Zelda3 IQ test 2-1 (unlocked) release

Zeldix :: General :: News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zelda3 IQ test 2-1 (unlocked) release

Post by Puzzledude on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 11:06

Latest version: 2-1
Original ROM CRC-32: 777AAC2F

Have you ever wondered, how smart you are? Time to test it out with this unconventional Zelda hack, which will test the limits of your intuitive, logical and algorithmic thinking.

This is a short and yet complete hack of Zelda3, with the main goal to force the player to think. In addition new ASM codes have been inserted. These codes made some fantastic new puzzles and items possible, not seen in the original. A lot of gfx has also been changed. Some later parts of the game will however require good old sword to sword action.

May the Einstein be with you.

Note:
This is the RE-release with the game being reformated to standard (compliant) Lorom, which is compatible with all possible SNES emulators and devices, and the game also uses a standard IPS patch.

Download IPS PATCH (v2-1) unlocked
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5116

Download README on how to use the patch (v2-1)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5117

Download the list of Updates (v2-1)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5119

This game is compatible with:
All PC emulators for Windows, Linux, Mac; SNES emus for PSP, Wii, DS; flashcart, powerpack, sd2snes, repro carts, SNES clones, such as Game doctor; online SNES emulators etc; and even Zelda3 editors, such as Hyrule Magic, zcompress, YYchr etc.
--------------------------

Original ROM file info (to patch the IPS to):
Name: Legend of Zelda, The - A link to the past [U] [!]
Region: US
Header: No header
Size: 1.024 KB
Extension: SMC
File CRC-32: 777AAC2F
Rom  CRC-32: 777AAC2F
File MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72
Rom  MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72

Do Not patch to other ROMs or headered ROMs.
Puzzledude
Elite ROM Hacker
Elite ROM Hacker

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Zelda3 IQ test 2-1 (unlocked) release

Post by SunGodPortal on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 14:38

Lord SePH wrote:Great will be able to try this out on my psp at the job!

I'm looking forward to kicking back in the recliner and playing it on my TV. Smile

Lord SePH wrote:But with that said, I definately prefered this over godesses of wisdom puzzles which I found too hard. Maybe because I never played puzz quest!

I never could get into GoW but I loved Puzzledude's Quest. I'd love to do an overworld hack of that. The current overworld is a HUGE turn off and I can only stand to play it my own version because of that. (sorry Puzz)
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 15:01

Great will be able to try this out on my psp at the job!
Irronically PSP SNES emulator is also my favourite choice when it comes to non-PC emulation.

I'm actually curious about how you did some of the puzzles too, so might give it an Hyrule Magic test run. Who knows? I just gave up on it quite early since my IQ thinking level is probably too low for intuitive puzzle games. Razz
Yes, you can open it in Hyrule Magic and see how I constructed the puzzles, specially the warp maze. Once you see in HM, it then looks logical and less complex. The same can be said for PW's Impa's ways. Once you see it in HM and see all rooms labeled with a number, as well as where they warp to, it becomes logical how the mazes were done and how to advance.

Players can now also make Dungeon maps, if they feel like doing so. Just open in HM and print screen rooms and then glue them together in any picture editor - like they did for PW overworlds.

But with that said, I definately prefered this over godesses of wisdom puzzles which I found too hard.
Maybe because I never played puzz quest!
I have to say the PD's quest was my first hack and I did not use hidden items there. With GoW I started using them and labeled them with stars. Some players accepted the idea, some didn't. But no person liked the statue puzzles apparently.

Also, SePH, good to see you haven't vanished, as you might be retired from romhacking, but not from playing or forum-posting (as this does not take any severe amounts of time). I hope you will still do the latter.

By the way, if you do get stuck on my complex puzzles, you can use the guide for this game, which I posted in the documents as a PDF file, or also later try the IQ remodel, which is in developement, and should be suitable for all players.

Puzzledude
Elite ROM Hacker
Elite ROM Hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 15:03

I'm looking forward to kicking back in the recliner and playing it on my TV.
Nice that you have that old-styled TV in the 4:3. All I have now are those 16:9 and when playing an old game on there, you always have the annoing black lines on the left and right.
Also do note: the IQ test hack utilizes radical puzzle ideas, it is somewhat the deleted sceenes hack. Things which I would otherwise never include in a regular hack, since being to complex.

I never could get into GoW but I loved Puzzledude's Quest. I'd love to do an overworld hack of that. The current overworld is a HUGE turn off and I can only stand to play it my own version because of that. (sorry Puzz)
No offense taken as stated by the readme I don't have a problem what any user thinks. I also have no objections in you remaking the overworlds. I wonder what you did (cut through the mazes maybe).

You will not believe it, but I actually had a strange wish to remake the maze overworlds of PD's quest and the Pyramid-only dark world back into regular AlttP overworlds. I might just do that someday soon, when getting all the IQ derivates out of the way. And of course some edits have to be made, as for instance, the third dark world dungeon only has one entrance (instead of multiple).

PS
Now also uploaded the IQ 2-1 to RHDN - currently in the queue. I actually have no idea if this will be accepted, as I only see it in my email later: submission "accepted" or "denied".
Puzzledude
Elite ROM Hacker
Elite ROM Hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 15:22

Unintentionally going off topic with this post.

I'd love to do an overworld hack of that.
Not a problem.
Like said above I might also remake the overworlds in the PD's quest - but only Back to the original AlttP with some very minor adoptations to actually fit new indoors.

If anyone has any clue on how to further improve overworlds more drastically - not a problem, this even is encouraged. You can also use my indoors for some other hack, for instance merge the Lyra Islands lovable overworlds with PD's quest dungeons, or maybe Oracle of Secrets by Moegami overworlds with PD's quest dungeons - if indeed any of that is compatible.

I can only stand to play it my own version.
Feel free to play or release this version.
Puzzledude
Elite ROM Hacker
Elite ROM Hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by sumotherguy on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 20:11

Are there a lot of push block puzzles like the ones in Puzzledude's section of the developer dungeon in Conker? I found them really intriguing but a bit too easy. In my head I was thinking of how to expand them in ways similar to the color tile rooms in Oracle of Ages on gameboy color.

sumotherguy

Since : 2015-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sat 29 Oct 2016 - 20:21

sumotherguy wrote:Are there a lot of push block puzzles like the ones in Puzzledude's section of the developer dungeon in Conker? I found them really intriguing but a bit too easy. In my head I was thinking of how to expand them in ways similar to the color tile rooms in Oracle of Ages on gameboy color.

Oh you should love this one then. Smile
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 30 Oct 2016 - 7:32

Are there a lot of push block puzzles like the ones in Puzzledude's section of the developer dungeon in Conker? I found them really intriguing but a bit too easy.
Yes, there are. Also do note that in this section of the Conker game, these are the dungeons which were in some instance meant as a "regular" part of the game, and we thus could not exceed the "average" difficulty.

In my head I was thinking of how to expand them in ways similar to the color tile rooms in Oracle of Ages on gameboy color.
The IQ hack utilizes some other methods to make the puzzles as difficult as possible, to bring it up to "above average" diffuculty, similar to the puzzle in the Stargate room of Conker.

To utilize the Oracle of ages colour tile rooms is not doable in AlttP, unless you know some ASM prodigy, but I believe all ASM people here are pretty much exhausted from all the ASM work on Conker.
Puzzledude
Elite ROM Hacker
Elite ROM Hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 30 Oct 2016 - 8:05

Meanwhile we are back in business:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3173/

I guess this is compliant now, hopefully.
Puzzledude
Elite ROM Hacker
Elite ROM Hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Sun 30 Oct 2016 - 17:33

Congrats, puzz. Now everyone can enjoy!
Yes, and it is even "compliant" for Rhdn now.

I'll look forward to this then. The stargate room was superb. I managed to see the intended solution quickly, but figuring out how to get the proper setup took a while.
Nice. A game for you then. If you liked that Stargate puzzle, you will then also like the IQ, as this is connected. The same goes for the Impa's way dungeon of Parallel Worlds. If you think that warp maze was made by someone who can not design, then you will find the maze in IQ problematic. But if you can identify that the solution is actually a mathematical algorithm similar to Rubik's cube, than again the warp maze of IQ is for you. Depends what kind of player you are.
Puzzledude
Elite ROM Hacker
Elite ROM Hacker

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Zeldix :: General :: News

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum