Castlevania Dracula X

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Castlevania Dracula X

Patch by Conn (v1.5: sd2snes fix) and PepilloPEV's PCM set (updated with cat explosion track):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ds7fh99rniyqo70/AAA27yt5CDi30styl7xsyyCGa?dl=0

Link to Kurrono's PCM:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyjwcz7752yxcun/cdx.rar?dl=0

Last edited by pepillopev on Fri 24 Nov 2017 - 10:19; edited 2 times in total

pepillopev
Witch
Witch

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Castlevania Dracula X :: Comments

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 14:59 by Conn

@Relikk
I have a suspicion why it doesn't work. The fadeout is rather quick, but not quick enough. For example at the demo, it counts down from FF to 00, but the next theme is already introduced when the value is 60. So the real hardware gets the info to update 2006 to 60, and suddenly it gets a 00, and I simply think it is not quick enough to handle both infos correctly.

Real Hardware is unfortunately try&error, so attached patch has an accelerated fade-countdown (previously it was 3 decs per nmi, now it is 5 decs). You should not hear much fading anymore, but with luck this solves your issue.

If it works I'd suggest having a "special sd2snes version", since the fade out at 3 decs is already rather fast, with 5 decs, you will not hear any fade anymore, so the emulator version should keep the slower fade.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 15:00 by Relikk

Sounds good.

Apparently I don't have permission to download attachments, though. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 15:14 by Conn

Attachement downloading should work now...

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 16:26 by Relikk

Tested it, still happens unfortunately. Here's a video for what's happening. You know already but, every little bit of info helps. Be warned, I haven't got a very steady hand. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8RRrlgdWok

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 16:58 by Conn

That's unfortunate. I'm out currently but will send a version that renounces completely on the fading in some hours. See if this works then...
We must go through a try and error phase to isolate the bug I assume Sad

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 17:13 by Relikk

Yeah, sorry Conn. I seem to be a source of buggyness for you lately. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 19:19 by Conn

Through your video I found out what the troubles causes, I think:

I had to run the msu busy flag 8 times (there were troubles with snes9x). Doing so, it will write 8 times on $2007 and $2006 which apparently causes troubles on sd2snes in case a track isn't there.

THIS is what's happening, not fadeout or whatever: the intro is mute, nevertheless it tries to load track -39 (hex$27)
cat is an explosion (hardly noticeable), here it tries to load pcm track -41 (hex$29), which isn't part of the pcm set.

so it tries to play multiple times a track that isn't there.
so you have two options:

- make a simple txt file write MSU1 followed by 4 spaces in it and rename it to cdx-msu1-39.pcm and cdx-msu-41.pcm; in this case sd2snes plays an empty file and it should work

- more elegant: apply below attached ips patch, I set the error bit:
Code:

BIT $2000
Bvs endbusy ; track not ready
lda $2000
AND #$08
BEQ noerror ; error bit set?
STZ $2006
STZ $2007
bra enderror
noerror:
LDA $7e1b82
(as far as I know the sd2snes firmware has the error bit implemented).

@PEV, if this works you can use the new asm (part of below attached file) to create a new ips/bps, the added error bit test is is safe to play on emulator. You can also consider adding pcm-41, cat explosion (I already adjusted $27=39 and $29=41 to non-loop in the table of attached asm).
The cat explosion is heard right after giving her the final hit and it turns into flames (on spc version only of course, as the pcm track is missing).

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 19:58 by Conn

I made a small but severe mistake, luckily nobody downloaded it yet (I hope), if yes use this file instead:
Attachments
cdx_msu_sd2snes3.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(2 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 22 Nov 2017 - 22:29 by pepillopev

I have added the a custom track 41 for the cat explosion, as requested. When I get an opportunity to get the original spc explosion sample, it will replace the custom one.
I also added your Sd2Snes fixes/patches to the zip file. I have not yet tested them on an emulator (but I will take your word that they are safe for use).

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 23 Nov 2017 - 4:24 by Conn

hehe, yes, it is safe, but I also hope that solves the issue Relikk reported Wink
If not we need to insert every theme that might be forgotten, like that cat theme.
e.g., for the menu mute, you need to insert an empty mute track 39 then.

You can merge theme 41 with your normal pcm set btw, but better wait for relikk because of the loop table set to 01 (which I already did in the fix asm).
If Relikk will tell that my patch solves his problems, the new sd2snes fix asm/ips should be the only asm/patch in your patch folder (has no effect on emulator playing).

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 23 Nov 2017 - 7:19 by Relikk

Conn wrote:If Relikk will tell that my patch solves his problems, the new sd2snes fix asm/ips should be the only asm/patch in your patch folder (has no effect on emulator playing).

It does indeed. No more buzzing. Good job, as always! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 23 Nov 2017 - 8:29 by Conn

Awesome Very Happy
Pev, you can make the new asm to the only patch provided to clean the patch package, the sd2snes fix has no sideeffects on emu play.
Also you can move the pcm-41 into your pcm set (the fix asm has already set the loop to 01.As for the mute track 39 can do as you like, either empty pcm or leave it away, both is working Wink

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 23 Nov 2017 - 15:53 by pepillopev

Will work on simplifying the patch package once I get home after the Thanksgiving feast.

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 24 Nov 2017 - 19:45 by Conn

Just saw that everything is updated (patch with sd2snes fix, cat explosion merged).
Nice work, pev, next project closed Smile happy thanksgiving!

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum