Zelda3 Cube

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Zelda3 Cube

Latest version: 1-0
Original ROM CRC-32: 777AAC2F

Inspired by the movie CUBE, this hack was made as one giant dungeon, which has 10x10 Hyrule Magic rooms. Thus the entire game is one big dungeon, which you need to solve in one sitting and no deaths. Can you do it? Can you find the exit?

This is a short hack, which will sometimes force you to think hard before you will be able to progress, but for the most part is still on par with the difficulty of the original game, with hints when special tricks are needed to progress.

Note: Because of the sheer size of this dungeon with 100 rooms and because of the possibility of extensive backtracking, the progression was intentionally made to be linear and thus survival/puzzle oriented, rather than exploration oriented.

Download IPS PATCH (Cube v1-0)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5305

Download README on how to use the patch (Cube v1-0)
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5306

This game is compatible with:
All PC emulators for Windows, Linux, Mac; SNES emus for PSP, Wii, DS; flashcart, powerpack, sd2snes, repro carts, SNES clones, such as Game doctor; online SNES emulators etc; and even Zelda3 editors, such as Hyrule Magic, zcompress, YYchr etc.
--------------------------

Original ROM file info (to patch the IPS to):
Name: Legend of Zelda, The - A link to the past [U] [!]
Region: US
Header: No header
Size: 1.024 KB
Extension: SMC
File CRC-32: 777AAC2F
Rom  CRC-32: 777AAC2F
File MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72
Rom  MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72

Do Not patch to other ROMs or headered ROMs.
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Zelda3 Cube :: Comments

Post on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 12:27 by wizzrobemaster

are you going to make a hack that is 256 rooms from 0255?

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 1 Feb 2018 - 13:36 by Puzzledude

wizzrobemaster wrote:are you going to make a hack that is 256 rooms from 0255?
No.

This is a small hack, which I was making as a separate project, and the number 10x10, thus 100, seemed enough wast for one dungeon.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 2 Feb 2018 - 21:11 by ChristosOwen

I played this through today. I really wanted to like it but I found it very difficult to. It took me a little under 7 hours, but after the first hour or so it became more tedious and felt like a chore, rather than a fun experience. I can appreciate the effort/thought that went into some of the puzzles though but the whole balance/difficulty/game wasn't right for me.

I'm in a negative mindspace because it was so frustrating and I'm writing this just after finishing, so hopefully you will take the positives from the criticism Smile

1. Why prevent Link from moving with the sword held out? This was really annoying and didn't add anything. It sucked!

2. Why make boots slower?! If it was for puzzle purposes, redesign the puzzle! This was so annoying.

3. The hammer pegs and red switches were SO hard to tell apart, which was frustrating at times. Granted, I'm colourblind, but a lot of my chat who see colours fine said they were necessarily similar. Making these more easily identifiable would help a lot.

4. A lot of the changed graphics were kinda meh. I feel like the original is just better overall. Some were nice, the heart containers looked great for example. Maybe just personal preference though.

5. The mace-hookshot thing again? It makes the Hookshot worse since it has a longer start-up time. It's so gimiccky. I literally hated this weapon so much the first time it appeared in a hack, and I still think it's awful.

6. Why, in the name of God, are there so many block pushing puzzles? AGAIN! The last few hacks have all heavily relied on this gimmick and I was hoping for something different. Having a couple of these would have been fine, but there were WAY too many and it really became so boring to keep motivated to even want to continue playing the game.

7. Where's the fun combat? Where are some challenging enemies? Why am I so over-equipped with items? Where are the bosses!? The game quickly became a bunch of uninteresting and filler corridors (spikes, cheap off-screen lasers, beamos...) inbetween block-pushing puzzle rooms, with a few random enemies posing no challenge whatsoever dotted around.

8. The difficulty scaling/progression was way off. The first block puzzle involving the water blocks took me just over an hour, and that and another one nearby that point were by far the most challenging puzzles... and they were very early on in the hack. They should definitely have been the final puzzles, and then get rid of like 80% of the other block puzzles :/

9. Some rooms had the most pointless tasks to proceed, I didn't get the reason. A switch with the statue to press it down half a room away for example... it's not a fun or challenging puzzle, just tedious.

10. Choice of items seemed pretty bad. Having cape (although required for some bumper puzzles) meant the majority of any challenge from most rooms was free. Just put cape on, with 1/2 magic and it auto-regen it was dull, just walk through everything. Redesigning so no Cape puzzles were required, or having no half magic, would have been much better. Same with Byrna.

11. When I got the Fire Shield it gives text for the Mirror Shield... but it doesn't block lasers so it definitely isn't the Mirror Shield lol.

12. It was irritating when you could fail puzzles and have to reset them, but leaving the room wasn't on a different super-tile, so you had to backtrack 3-4 rooms in order to reset the puzzle. Having warps or whatever for every puzzle you can softlock in would have helped. In general puzzles being able to get stuck so often get pretty annoying.

13. A lot of the puzzles you have to work out which blocks can be moved first. Can't you make it obvious by changing the colour of them, or the design? Sometimes you pointed to them or put a star which was helpful, but it was inconsistent. Also, when blocks have different effects, having to push them via trial and error to work out what each does sucked. Could have maybe added a Saharahla tile explaining it or something, or introduce them one at a time and have them visibly identifiable. Also having to clear the water EVERY TIME before you can even start most puzzles was so annoying.

14. The worst thing of all? The same music on LOOP! If it's going to be one dungeon, at least put in some better music than the 3s Ganon exit music on loop!? I had to mute and listen to my own music and play without sound effects :/

BTW on one of the early block-pushing puzzles, there was a warp you could take to reset it with a windy path blocked by 2-3 rows of spikes. At the bottom is the warp you need to take to get back to the puzzle room, but there's a block above it. If you were to Hookshot the block from above you would go into the spikes and be stuck/softlocked and have to S+Q.

Also, why did we have the Mirror lol? Doesn't work on Overworld and seems like a troll to have it for the dungeon Razz

Anyway, I can appreciate the thought you put into the block puzzles. Some of them really were neat puzzles. There were just far too many. Some of the other rooms/puzzles that weren't block pushing were good too.

- Can I appreciate the puzzle design? Yes.
- Was it a fun hack? No. Really no. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 2 Feb 2018 - 22:29 by wizzrobemaster

the purpose of the mirror is to escape dungeon soft locks. it was literally a failsafe mechanic introduced when you reached the tower of hera because that was the first dungeon to have real puzzles unlike the generic backtracking.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 2:08 by Puzzledude

I played this through today. I really wanted to like it but I found it very difficult to. It took me a little under 7 hours, but after the first hour or so it became more tedious and felt like a chore, rather than a fun experience. I can appreciate the effort/thought that went into some of the puzzles though but the whole balance/difficulty/game wasn't right for me.

I'm in a negative mindspace because it was so frustrating and I'm writing this just after finishing, so hopefully you will take the positives from the criticism Smile.
Christos, thank you for the review and for playing. Also note, I'm at the point where I accept all criticism or don't mind/care.

1. Why prevent Link from moving with the sword held out? This was really annoying and didn't add anything. It sucked!
I decided for this, since I'm annoyed when people hold the sword and move around. This is to prevent stronger attacks and also to prevent Link going on starcases sideways and to prevent Link going into caves sideways (debug, since otherwise he would enter far too up and than also exit far too up from the cave).

2. Why make boots slower?! If it was for puzzle purposes, redesign the puzzle! This was so annoying.
I decided for this, since I didn't want the player to quickly run through the entire game.

3. The hammer pegs and red switches were SO hard to tell apart, which was frustrating at times. Granted, I'm colourblind, but a lot of my chat who see colours fine said they were necessarily similar. Making these more easily identifiable would help a lot.
Yes they are similar on purpose, but at least I can still identify both if I look closely.

4. A lot of the changed graphics were kinda meh. I feel like the original is just better overall. Some were nice, the heart containers looked great for example. Maybe just personal preference though.
I actually like all new GFX in the game. Makes it a bit different from the original. But nothing to drastical was changed.

5. The mace-hookshot thing again? It makes the Hookshot worse since it has a longer start-up time. It's so gimiccky. I literally hated this weapon so much the first time it appeared in a hack, and I still think it's awful.
I like the Goldstar item, but indeed its slower than Hookshot. Took Conn 2 month to program and I wanted to have this item, from that time when I saw the guy in the basement of the ALTTP in Hyrule Castle who swings it at you.

6. Why, in the name of God, are there so many block pushing puzzles? AGAIN! The last few hacks have all heavily relied on this gimmick and I was hoping for something different. Having a couple of these would have been fine, but there were WAY too many and it really became so boring to keep motivated to even want to continue playing the game.
Yes, some rooms of the IQ were used here, usually the ones I though were the best design.

7. Where's the fun combat? Where are some challenging enemies? Why am I so over-equipped with items? Where are the bosses!? The game quickly became a bunch of uninteresting and filler corridors (spikes, cheap off-screen lasers, beamos...) inbetween block-pushing puzzle rooms, with a few random enemies posing no challenge whatsoever dotted around.
Putting bosses in a regular dungeon and be able to proced with the dungeon after the boss fight, is not so easy to do. I simply wanted only Ganon as boss.

8. The difficulty scaling/progression was way off. The first block puzzle involving the water blocks took me just over an hour, and that and another one nearby that point were by far the most challenging puzzles... and they were very early on in the hack. They should definitely have been the final puzzles, and then get rid of like 80% of the other block puzzles :/
I can agree here.

9. Some rooms had the most pointless tasks to proceed, I didn't get the reason. A switch with the statue to press it down half a room away for example... it's not a fun or challenging puzzle, just tedious.
Yes, I wanted to have at least one such statue pushing room (again), as reference to Goddess of Wisdom. But still it's half a room, instead of one room, so far less than in GoW.

10. Choice of items seemed pretty bad. Having cape (although required for some bumper puzzles) meant the majority of any challenge from most rooms was free. Just put cape on, with 1/2 magic and it auto-regen it was dull, just walk through everything. Redesigning so no Cape puzzles were required, or having no half magic, would have been much better. Same with Byrna.
The Cape reduces your green magic quite fast and the auto recharge is quite slow, so I simply didn't see this as a problem. Do note: the autorefill is actually a debug, so you don't get trapped in the dungeon with no magic (while you are at a place where you need it).

11. When I got the Fire Shield it gives text for the Mirror Shield... but it doesn't block lasers so it definitely isn't the Mirror Shield lol.
I never knew the level 2 shield is called Fire shield.

12. It was irritating when you could fail puzzles and have to reset them, but leaving the room wasn't on a different super-tile, so you had to backtrack 3-4 rooms in order to reset the puzzle. Having warps or whatever for every puzzle you can softlock in would have helped. In general puzzles being able to get stuck so often get pretty annoying.
You can not change this, since the game will reset only when a Hyrule Magic room changes, and if the HM room consists of many parts (quarter and half etc), you need to go back some more to reset. Putting in warps all the time can be problematic, since you then need more rooms and more room-header space.

13. A lot of the puzzles you have to work out which blocks can be moved first. Can't you make it obvious by changing the colour of them, or the design? Sometimes you pointed to them or put a star which was helpful, but it was inconsistent. Also, when blocks have different effects, having to push them via trial and error to work out what each does sucked. Could have maybe added a Saharahla tile explaining it or something, or introduce them one at a time and have them visibly identifiable. Also having to clear the water EVERY TIME before you can even start most puzzles was so annoying.
The game will not allow you to make the pushable blocks different from non pushable blocks, before you push them. Once they are pushed, they can be different (as seen in the IQ revenge of the Einstein), but this needs more GFX space and only one difference can be made for all pushable block-types. So you can not know the block type, unless you actually push the block. Undoing water seemed like an interesting concept, so I went for that.

14. The worst thing of all? The same music on LOOP! If it's going to be one dungeon, at least put in some better music than the 3s Ganon exit music on loop!? I had to mute and listen to my own music and play without sound effects :/
Yes, one dungeon - one music. You can not change that, I decided for the Ganon theme. Any other music would be on loop too.

BTW on one of the early block-pushing puzzles, there was a warp you could take to reset it with a windy path blocked by 2-3 rows of spikes. At the bottom is the warp you need to take to get back to the puzzle room, but there's a block above it. If you were to Hookshot the block from above you would go into the spikes and be stuck/softlocked and have to S+Q.
True, I've overseen this.

Also, why did we have the Mirror lol? Doesn't work on Overworld and seems like a troll to have it for the dungeon Razz
Mirror is there in case I forgot anything (like in the previous paragraph), so you can rescue yourself from getting perma-stuck somewhere in the dungeon.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 11:03 by ChristosOwen

Thanks for replying to all my feedback PuzzleDude. Sorry if I was overly negative, I was tired and frustrated last night xD! If you're interested in seeing my playthrough I made a highlight:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225420789

I decided for this, since I'm annoyed when people hold the sword and move around. This is to prevent stronger attacks and also to prevent Link going on staircases sideways and to prevent Link going into caves sideways (debug, since otherwise he would enter far too up and than also exit far too up from the cave).

I decided for this, since I didn't want the player to quickly run through the entire game.

I guess this may just be personal preference. I heavily dislike changes to the original game mechanics (it's why I fell in love with the game). I found the experience a lot less fun, and much more restrictive, not being able to dash freely or move with my sword out. Not being able to move with my sword out in particular removed a lot of skill from the combat sections. I'm very skillful at the game, but I wasn't able to capitalize on my skill because the game was preventing me from doing so, which is what led to the frustration.

I understand the debugging aspect of it but I don't think nerfing these game mechanics outweighed the need for minor debugging here.

Yes they are similar on purpose, but at least I can still identify both if I look closely.

A lot of people in my chat (and me) think they are hard to distinguish. Maybe something you might want to change. It would be a positive, easy change IMO.

I actually like all new GFX in the game. Makes it a bit different from the original. But nothing to drastical was changed.

This is fair enough. This is just a question of style/preference.

I like the Goldstar item, but indeed its slower than Hookshot. Took Conn 2 month to program and I wanted to have this item, from that time when I saw the guy in the basement of the ALTTP in Hyrule Castle who swings it at you.

This is also fair enough. Having the weapon is fine. Losing the normal Hookshot is what I dislike. Hookshot allows you to have better control and precision over your movement. The Mace completely breaks that. So it takes out any speed/skill in your movement. Together with the slow boots, it boiled down to just walking everywhere.

Instead why not replace the Boomerang instead of the Hookshot slot? Or put it into an empty and unused item slot. This would have been much better. Remove its ability to Hookshot to things and just have it as a Mace weapon. Would be much better. The Ganon fight was a funny twist though.

Yes, some rooms of the IQ were used here, usually the ones I though were the best design

Some were great. Some were a little tedious. Overall there are just WAY too many. Reducing the amount, and then arranging them by difficulty as you progress through the dungeon would make the hack a lot more fun. I tip my hat to your creativity with the puzzle designs though!

Putting bosses in a regular dungeon and be able to proced with the dungeon after the boss fight, is not so easy to do. I simply wanted only Ganon as boss.

I can't say how easy it is, but I know a few hacks which have done this. I know SuperSkuj has made a boss-rush ROM hack where you fight all bosses in one dungeon essentially, and progress through the boss by falling down pits to a new area. I think adding some mini-bosses and bosses would help balance the combat vs puzzle. As it is now, the combat side is very lacking and Link is way too powerful with the amount of items he has. There's no challenge sadly from any combat.

It would really spice up the experience and break up the combat vs puzzle sections. If you incorporate this I think it would be a big improvement to the hack. Besides, fighting bosses is always a lot of fun and a chance to use skill in combat!

Yes, I wanted to have at least one such statue pushing room (again), as reference to Goddess of Wisdom. But still it's half a room, instead of one room, so far less than in GoW.

I appreciated the nods to other past ROM hacks. I noticed a lot of re-used ideas/puzzles from past hacks. It was good to see, but maybe a little too much being re-used. Perhaps just personal preference here.

The Cape reduces your green magic quite fast and the auto recharge is quite slow, so I simply didn't see this as a problem. Do note: the autorefill is actually a debug, so you don't get trapped in the dungeon with no magic (while you are at a place where you need it).

Yes I understand it's a debug to have auto-regen. Having full magic jar refills that respawn (like you did with arrows and bombs and faeries) would have been better. In the sections that require magic. Then there's some challenge to resource management. 1/2 magic with auto-regen, 80 bombs and 50 arrows meant you could go crazy with Fire Rod, Bow and Bombs without any concern for waste. Which again removed any challenge. I think this is a simple case of re-balancing.

I never knew the level 2 shield is called Fire shield.

Oh haha! Yes, Fighter's Shield, Fire Shield and Mirror Shield. I expected it to block lasers from the description (although it only looked like the Fire Shield, so I was like hmm...). Easy text fix.

You can not change this, since the game will reset only when a Hyrule Magic room changes, and if the HM room consists of many parts (quarter and half etc), you need to go back some more to reset. Putting in warps all the time can be problematic, since you then need more rooms and more room-header space.

The game will not allow you to make the pushable blocks different from non pushable blocks, before you push them. Once they are pushed, they can be different (as seen in the IQ revenge of the Einstein), but this needs more GFX space and only one difference can be made for all pushable block-types. So you can not know the block type, unless you actually push the block. Undoing water seemed like an interesting concept, so I went for that.

Fair points. I understand about the difficulty with super-tile room design in HM. I think if you reduce the number of block pushing puzzles overall you would be able to spend time on the ones you do keep to really make them better. Concentrating on a selection of your best ones and then making sure they have one-room resets, or warps, and arrow/stars showing you where the blocks are. It would be a huge improvement. Also a Sahasrahla tile for each explaining which blocks you have and their properties. It would make the experience a lot more fun and fair. It removes trial and error and is fair to the player by giving all the information needed.

Not being able to visually change the blocks is a shame, but I understand it is not possible/very difficult. If this is ever possible, it would make a HUGE difference and be such a big improvement to all your block puzzles.

Yes, one dungeon - one music. You can not change that, I decided for the Ganon theme. Any other music would be on loop too.

It's such a short track on loop, it got so annoying very fast hehe. On our randomizer hack we allow the user to disable game background music but still have sound effects. Maybe something worth considering, then the player can listen to their own music. If not, some MSU-1 music, or a longer and more interesting track from the original, would really improve the experience.

True, I've overseen this.

Mirror is there in case I forgot anything (like in the previous paragraph), so you can rescue yourself from getting perma-stuck somewhere in the dungeon.

These are both very minor. I almost switched to Mirror and left the dungeon twice. Would have been very sad if I did haha! I figured if you get stuck/softlocked you can just S+Q to fix it, so no need for Mirror. But doesn't really matter. Personally I would recommend removing items that are not required (Book, Flute etc). It clutters the menu up.

Anyway, thanks for making the hack. I'm glad I played it, and I like the concept of what it tried to achieve and I enjoyed some of the puzzle designs. I hope you find the feedback useful. Until next time!

Smile

Last edited by ChristosOwen on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 8:39; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 4 Feb 2018 - 2:50 by Puzzledude

Thanks for replying to all my feedback PuzzleDude. Sorry if I was overly negative, I was tired and frustrated last night xD! If you're interesting in seeing my playthrough I made a highlight:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225420789

These are both very minor. I almost switched to Mirror and left the dungeon twice. Would have been very sad if I did haha! I figured if you get stuck/softlocked you can just S+Q to fix it, so no need for Mirror. But doesn't really matter. Personally I would recommend removing items that are not required (Book, Flute etc). It clutters the menu up.

Anyway, thanks for making the hack. I'm glad I played it, and I like the concept of what it tried to achieve and I enjoyed some of the puzzle designs. I hope you find the feedback useful. Until next time!
Thank you for your interest and for the Let's play of the game.

You are probably the only person, who plays all my hacks! even these unconventional ones and actually finishes the entire game!

The IQ for instance was Let's played by only 2 more people: the first one quit after 15 minutes, calling it a bootleg (you tube), the second quit after 67 minutes, finished no dungeons while using cheats (and thus breaking the gameplay), and made a big not-recomended.

On the other hand I believe XaserLe from Germany also finished the entire IQ offscreen. And there is at least one cart, that was made of it.

So I've seen it all actually.

Also, I won't be editing this game any further, mainly due to lack of interest in further changes, since a lot of work is necessary before you can bring the game to a playable state.

So it's not that I don't want to, but because it would require further work - and beta testing (again) and making patches/uploading (again).

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 22:04 by IntimFuchtler

Finished this one (in fact I also played all your hacks puzz, but Iam not an active twitch streamer (although i do sometimes) or something like that)

I think chris said most things that I can agree to, are also my opinion.

But this aside, its great that you still hack alttp and atleast do something to wider the range of alttp hacks that arent that typical lets edit standart alttp with adding spikes everywhere hacks.

Also in this one, there are many good ideas, like the one with the bee to hit the switch, very creative, but the execution is the thing. Many things (looking at you blockpuzzles) get repetitive in a bad way, more like tedious.
Its more like you need to find the small line between hey thats awsome and, hey its that bulls*** again (maybe ask chris for betatesting next time?).

But anyway, thanks for your love for alttp hacking^^

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 0:43 by Puzzledude

in fact I also played all your hacks puzz, but Iam not an active twitch streamer
Thank you for your interest Intim.
And yes, these recent hacks I made were separate projects, because I would not put this design in a regular Zelda game.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 22 Feb 2018 - 18:42 by Wolfcat

I am a huge fan of the work anyone does in regards to alttp hacks. I try to play all the game hacks of alttp when I have enough time. I am not saying I have played all of the games completely I am mentioning here but I really tried and considering I liked even the incomplete hacks, I just never can understand why anyone would complain. They are great even when they are not complete and or the best of them.

Most of the alttp game hacks I have:
Legend of Zelda, The - Parallel Remodel v1-1,
Legend of Zelda, The - Parallel Worlds v1-0,
Legend of Zelda, The - Parallel Worlds v1-1,
Legend of Zelda, The - Parallel Worlds v1-23,
Legend of Zelda, The - [Hack - Shards of Might Beta] Some other version,
Legend of Zelda, The - [Hack - Shards of Might Beta],
Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past Master Quest,
Legend of Zelda, The - ALTTP_Extended,
Legend of Zelda, The - BCvsG_Demo,
Legend of Zelda, The - Bruce Campbell Vs Ganon v1-1,
Legend of Zelda, The - Bruce Campbell Vs Ganon v1-5,
Legend of Zelda, The - Conkers High Rule Tail v1-28,
Legend of Zelda, The - Cube v1-0,
Legend of Zelda, The - Goddess of Wisdom v2-0 (E) [!],
Legend of Zelda, The - Goddess of Wisdom v3-0 (E) [!],
Legend of Zelda, The - Hylian Legacy v1-02,
Legend of Zelda, The - Hyrule Legacy v0-96,
Legend of Zelda, The - Iced Hyrule,
Legend of Zelda, The - IQ Test Revenge of the Einstein,
Legend of Zelda, The - IQ Test,
I didn't get the beginner IQ Test yet,
Legend of Zelda, The - Omega (Hack) [a1],
Legend of Zelda, The - PuzzleDudes Quest v1-0,
Legend of Zelda, The - RuinsOfRockvan v4,
Legend of Zelda, The - SecretsOfThePast v1-01,
Legend of Zelda, The - The Legend Returns,
Legend of Zelda, The - Tower of The Triforce Demo (Hack),

and also this rom hack:
BS Zelda no Densetsu (Japan) (BS) [En+Hack by BSZHP v20090126] (~Legend of Zelda, The - Third Quest) (No Timer)

Then there are the ones I used to play in Wine when I was using Ubuntu more:
Darkness Uprising,
Ganondorf's Return,
Hall of the Undead,
Return to Hyrule,
ShadowgazerNCFCDemo(2)

I also had an executable that a scanner say was a virus by the name of Zelda Dark Princess of which I don't remember what virus scanner I used.

Recently I finally fixed the names on this list so they are far more organized than they used to be in the folder I have them in which confused and drove me a little crazy.

I almost forgot to mention the randomizer for alttp which is another folder somewhere. I like the concept of it, but either I failed or it doesn't work out every time it is used, because I got stuck, but I really like playing through it's random order item hacks to see if I can make it through or how far I can make it through.

To say I am obsessed with alttp and Zelda might be an under statement.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 23 Feb 2018 - 2:40 by Puzzledude

Well, you are still missing IQ test Remodel in that list. And also A Link to the Future Parts 1, 2 and 3 by Francais (all very bugged with heavy problems on the overworld drawing, but if you are a collector ...).

There are also 2 Master quests, one by Moulinosky and one by Jeimuzu.
(Should be on Romhacking site).

There  are also 2 Conker betas, which are very different from the final version with completely different overworlds.
(Should be on Acmlm site in the Uploader section under IPS patches).

There also is Gates of Darkness Demo.
(Should be on Acmlm site in the Uploader section under IPS patches).

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 24 Feb 2018 - 12:12 by Wolfcat

Excellent, I will try to check all those out. Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 25 Feb 2018 - 9:17 by Wolfcat

It appears that the Ruins of Rockvan has both versions 3 and 4 even though it just says version 4, and that the Ruins of Rockvan and Master Quest version 1.2 all work only when patched with the headered A Link to the Past (U) [!] rom which is not the recommended unheadered A Link to the Past (U) [!] rom that people are supposed to patch to. I also tried A Link to the Past (E) [!] unheadered and headered with no success.

I couldn't post a comment on the Ruins of Rockvan thread and I don't know where to post this info and or who to contact on this website.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 25 Feb 2018 - 10:54 by Puzzledude

The headered Rom is not necessarily not recomended. In fact if the author used the headered rom to make the patch, you also need to use the headered rom. So with these old patches, it is a 50/50 chance or at least 1/4, since they might use EU again headered or unheadered.

So if you patch to headered rom and the game works, and if the you patch to a non headered rom, and it doesn't work - then you know patching to the headered rom is the only correct patching.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 2 Mar 2018 - 14:30 by altoiddealer

Just finished this today!

Bug report:
-Triforce should say "defeat" instead of "defeated" Razz (Conn)

My feedback:
-My favorite part of this was the block puzzles. The first water one was excellent, but belonged further towards the end.
-Also really enjoyed finding myself back in the same room 4 times, each time like an hour apart from the previous Very Happy Good stuff!
-I started using savestates on my 2nd attempt, after I died about 40 minutes in. I didn't get any shortcuts from items I acquired, and I couldn't tell if there were any... yeah, there should be a way to get back to a degree.
-I feel like the hack should have had more item progression, rather than starting with 50% equipment already.
-If you do something like this again, please make it so the music changes up, whatever you have to do!

It was O.K. Worth it for the block puzzles. Keep up the good work!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 3 Mar 2018 - 2:42 by Puzzledude

My favorite part of this was the block puzzles.
You are probably the only one who likes them.

please make it so the music changes up, whatever you have to do
Unfortunately by default one music track will play in one dungeon and I haven't paid much attention to music.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 4 Mar 2018 - 8:02 by Wolfcat

Are you kidding me. I love the block puzzles you guys make, I haven't played the ones in this game yet, but I played the ones from the "IQ Test", and I am still in the middle of "IQ Test Revenge of the Einstein", because when I got to the 2 big room that have transporters to each other I wasn't sure which direction to go, so I need to make at least a couple of savestates just in case I save over my most recent save state.

I play my own music though, because I have heard alttp music too much, LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 4 Mar 2018 - 8:22 by Puzzledude

Are you kidding me. I love the block puzzles you guys make.
So the number is 2 then.

I haven't played the ones in this game yet, but I played the ones from the "IQ Test"
Some actually repeat in the Cube, but either remodeled or mirrored or similar or the same.

and I am still in the middle of "IQ Test Revenge of the Einstein", because when I got to the 2 big room that have transporters to each other I wasn't sure which direction to go
Nice. And yes, this room in the IQ ROTE is quite complex. It is a remodel to an even more difficult version, than the one I made for Conker.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 6 Mar 2018 - 15:23 by Wolfcat

I meant to say I got to the chest the last I played the "IQ Test Revenge of the Einstein".

One thing I've wondered about is if there are several or a couple of ways to solve any of the puzzles that aren't the intended way they were made to be solved. Either way you did a good job.

I am sorry but I don't understand this reply though:
Wolfcat:
"Are you kidding me. I love the block puzzles you guys make."
Puzzledude:
"So the number is 2 then."

Are you saying 2 people made the cube puzzles?, If so who was the other dude?, I am sure I can find it in the credits in the game and maybe else where. Con is listed on romhacking.net

I am sorry, I should leave you alone.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 6 Mar 2018 - 23:47 by Conn

I think that was cynical meant you are the 2nd person (of all people playing the game) who likes the cube puzzles Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 7 Mar 2018 - 2:45 by Puzzledude

One thing I've wondered about is if there are several or a couple of ways to solve any of the puzzles that aren't the intended way they were made to be solved.
Not really, since you need to place certain blocks on certain places to cut the fences, so there's not a lot of room for variation solves.

Are you saying 2 people made the cube puzzles?
No, 2 people (of all the players) like them.

Con is listed on romhacking.net
And the credit is ASM. Since his code made it possible to push the block multiple times.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 7 Mar 2018 - 8:50 by Wolfcat

OK, thank you so much for talking with me.

The reason why I said Con(the spelling romhacking.net uses for that name) or Conn as this this thread says;
at romhacking.net it says released by Con, PuzzleDude,
and I now realize my mistake that inside the info for the original IQ Test says ASM as credit, at the time of viewing it I thought it was a tool and not a person, but I could be could have been wrong.

What does ASM stand for?
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ASM

Assembly(Language)?

I can't find ASM as a member of Zeldix or romhacking.net, and I found this:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/395/

So I am guessing you made a funny as Master Splinter said but from a different person's perspective, but I doubt that since ASM is a language and not the name of a program. I know that ASM is the closest language to the hardware as far programming is concerned from what I've read about it before.

Why is this website called Zeldix?, Is it an adult joke?, Or related to something else?, Or someone had to come up with something and has no reason for that name?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 7 Mar 2018 - 14:34 by Puzzledude

ASM is short for Assembly and it is usually refered to Assembly hacking. This is a special skil which most romhackers do not have, since it is highly specific and requires a special talented person for this job. Otherwise normal romhacking is level editing or GFX (graphics) editing etc etc, but to do assembly editing is a whole different thing.

Con and Conn are the same person, but on Romhacking it is spelled with one N. So the "credit is ASM" means that hacker has done assembly hacking. Credit GFX, means that hacker has drawn new graphics etc.

Hackers who can do assembly are also refered to as "coders" or "programers" and the ones who do GFX as "pixel artists". For every quality hack, you need both, in combination with the "lead hacker" who will do everything else, specially new overworlds and dungeons and possibly hex editing.

Thus it should now be clear to you who did what for a specific hack: for instance, for all IQ hacks I did everything except assembly. So now you know who constructed the block puzzles (level and puzzle editing) and who "programed" the block to be multipushable (ASM).

Why is this website called Zeldix?, Is it an adult joke?, Or related to something else?, Or someone had to come up with something and has no reason for that name?
No idea. SePH, the owner of the forum and co hacker for Parallel Worlds (and various other hacks) has named it this way from the beginning. I guess it just sounded cool for him.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 7 Mar 2018 - 20:03 by Wolfcat

You guys are great, and funny. Thank you for your input. I will leave you alone and surf this website otherwise, because I didn't mean to ask so many questions. Just in case I want to refer back to this I will bookmark it in a folder in a text file to read just in case I get the guts to hack, and there is Hyrule Magic as well which I checked out, but didn't mess with too much.

Has anyone ever crashed their computer from hacking alttp?, which I ask because if I were to try and hack alttp I have wondered about this. I understand it would be on me not anyone else regardless to what you guys say.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum