Killer Instinct MSU1 Mega Patch

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

20191028

Post 

Killer Instinct MSU1 Mega Patch - Page 3 Empty Killer Instinct MSU1 Mega Patch






Ignore all previous patches.
Released 28/10, as the arcade Killer Instinct release date.

MSU-1 IS NOT ONLY FOR PLAYING PCM MUSIC.

You can stream graphics, fmv, sound, sprites.


Apply on headerless rom US 1.1

Patch and sound/data files:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah8ksmUOX0QQiR-hlWgB-wczn08C

Light patch (only music for sd2snes)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sOpDIBma5u_Khazl2hR7HULS5mfZaDWV
avatar
gizaha

Killer Instinct MSU1 Mega Patch - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2015-05-13

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: redditgoogle

Killer Instinct MSU1 Mega Patch :: Comments

Conn

Post on Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 0:26 by Conn

Yes, there is no tutorial how to stream sprites anywhere in the web, and the tutorial from kafka only mentions this, but the information there is somewhat meager.
If you can share some knowledge here would be awesome, gizaha, since your patch is the so far only one featuring this Wink

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 12:33 by gizaha

alphons wrote:I`m super interested in importing sprites and adding frames
You must understand the game's specific engine and tables to add frames.


Conn wrote:Yes, there is no tutorial how to stream sprites anywhere in the web, and the tutorial from kafka only mentions this, but the information there is somewhat meager.
If you can share some knowledge here would be awesome, gizaha, since your patch is the so far only one featuring this Wink

The first think you will need, is to understand how sprite engine at a specific game works. If the game is made by you, you don't have that problem.
I could not found a program to create sprites, so i wrote a script at autohotkey for faster. I could give it to you, but it's useless as it creates header/metasprite to killer instinct format.
For streaming data, http://helmet.kafuka.org/msu1.htm was clear: I set msu source at 2000-2003, read sprite header data with $2001 and then dma the rest vram data.
In other words, you just set msu data address and then read a byte at a time with 2001. You can save it somewhere with sta, or setup a dma to batch transfer. It can be any data, audio, moveset table, sprite, and you can even dma to wram.
I will be happy to share knowledge, but i cannot figure if you don't understand msu, dma or sprite engine.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post on Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 13:46 by Conn

yes, I figured transferring sprites works like transferring fmv frames, but didn't expect there is so much space in vram to transfer "better", higher resolution sprites without going off limits and overwrite other information there, like background data or whatever.

Much thanks in any case, your patch is novel and fantastic! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 15:47 by gizaha

Conn wrote:but didn't expect there is so much space in vram to transfer "better", higher resolution sprites without going off limits and overwrite other information there, like background data or whatever.

Much thanks in any case, your patch is novel and fantastic! Very Happy

Thanks.
The 3 bold words were wrong. More precise:
Space:
Each player has almost $c00 vram space for sprite (open in bsnes plus debugger to see it) but their data rarely are $c00 long.
You must pass the $c00 limit to overwrite data. As you can see, even eyedol is whithin specs. At 360 frames, p2 frame vram address moved to another position in order to fit with vs logo. 360 frames have problem with sprite limit sometimes (i don't fix it on purpose, i'm proud i've hit the 128 sprite limit).
Time:
Sprites uploaded when necessary, even each frame (60fps) if needed.
You can upload almost $1800 bytes of data in vblank. So you can even upload both player sprites in the same frame. 360 frames were bigger than $0c00 and i cheat, since i upload the players with 1 frame difference. Eye can't catch that and what you think you see, matters. Like prestidigitator.

Of course there is the hard part, vram is limited and there are countless objects that store specific place in vram, especially in the low side 0-4000, aside with sprites.
All objects vram positions were sophisticated reorganized in order to fit. Gameover dark screen is a miracle by itself.

I have shadow frames disabled because there is no free vram but there is always a trick. When it is finished, it will have 4 shadow frames WITHOUT FLICKERING. I cannot remember any other snes game that does that.

Limitations are wonderful and fun to work with.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post on Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 17:14 by Conn

Oh wow. Much thanks for this insight. I do not want to know the countless hours you must have spent to figure this stuff out. Without wanting to exaggerate, I really think your patch is a masterpiece of msu coding Smile

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 22:07 by Arnold101

please fix sd2snes, is unplayable after video and video is glitched

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 12:43 by gizaha

Arnold101 wrote:please fix sd2snes, is unplayable after video and video is glitched
If i had one it would be ready in a day. Without that it's like putting a blind man to drive a car.
Convince others to send me one. They give free these kind of hardware to youtubers for reviews while they can give one to me to do work. After all, better games at sd2snes means more sd2snes sales.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 12:55 by gizaha

Conn wrote:Oh wow. Much thanks for this insight. I do not want to know the countless hours you must have spent to figure this stuff out. Without wanting to exaggerate, I really think your patch is a masterpiece of msu coding Smile

Glad you like it, that is the result of "target, work and release when it's ready".
The result of marketing and "deadline design" model, i think is widely known.

It took a year because the mornings i work. If you only knew how many hundrends of changes i've made in the game.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 13:10 by Conn

Though this site is completely non-profit, in this case I'd support gizaha's call for a sd2snes.
I remember Alex (ArcadeTV) was so grateful that he sent me a sd2snes mini for fixing all that super ghouls'n ghost stuff... and I too was happy for the appreciation of my work back that time...

However, I think somebody with the financial background to support this project is needed to be found gizaha. Some are rich, some not... Woot!!

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 18:09 by Señor Ventura

I have one of the first revisions of the normal sd2snes, and i could to donate it to him if he assumes that he will need to upgrade it for better audio equalization.

I'm not using it, so, i wouldn't mind giving it to him.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 18:20 by Arnold101

gizaha wrote:
Arnold101 wrote:please fix sd2snes, is unplayable after video and video is glitched
If i had one it would be ready in a day. Without that it's like putting a blind man to drive a car.
Convince others to send me one. They give free these kind of hardware to youtubers for reviews while they can give one to me to do work. After all, better games at sd2snes means more sd2snes sales.
you are right. but if you need someone that can test it for you, just ask.


Last edited by Arnold101 on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 18:22; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Wed 4 Dec 2019 - 18:22 by Arnold101

Señor Ventura wrote:I have one of the first revisions of the normal sd2snes, and i could to donate it to him if he assumes that he will need to upgrade it for better audio equalization.

I'm not using it, so, i wouldn't mind giving it to him.

here Yes

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post on Thu 5 Dec 2019 - 5:11 by Conn

@gizaha and Senor Ventura,
sounds awesome, if you don't mind the both of you can talk over pm the details Wink

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Thu 5 Dec 2019 - 18:00 by pepillopev

@gizaha I have some spare borti boards to fix the low volume issue on those low revisions sd2snes boards too. you can have that too, but have to solder it on.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Mon 9 Dec 2019 - 22:23 by alphons

pepillopev wrote:@gizaha I have some spare borti boards to fix the low volume issue on those low revisions sd2snes boards too. you can have that too, but have to solder it on.
I`ve been watching videos on Youtube, downloaded various programs but I can´t figure this thing out on how to getting started with this. Can you recommend me any particular program for coding or programming?, even when it`s the simplest thing for everybody else, for me is a very difficult subject, but like I said before, I don`t have any knowledge at all about this, but I have the time and I`m super eager to learn, cause the SNES is one of my passions, and I feel that many games must be improved and enhanced, and seeing this hack, in my opinion the most important hack in all SNES history, made me want to do more hacks like this one, for me is a very important thing to do. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Tue 10 Dec 2019 - 11:07 by pepillopev

alphons wrote:I`ve been watching videos on Youtube, downloaded various programs but I can´t figure this thing out on how to getting started with this.
If you do not have some kind of coding background, it is going to be a lot more difficult to learn. Don't let that stop you if you want to learn but be prepared to do a lot of reading. The links gizaha posted earlier is worth a start.
alphons wrote:Can you recommend me any particular program for coding or programming?
If using Windows, you will need:
#1 Text Editor (to write your code, NotePad++)
#2 Assembler (to add your code into an existing ROM, asar/xkas)
#3 IPS Patcher (create patches to distribute your work, flips)
I have no recommendations for Linux. I do not use this OS or its many variants. I provided a link for all software mentioned above, in the link below.
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8rwy2gr9mwtoyx/snes-starter-apps.rar?dl=0

At this moment, in time, this is all I can do for you. Other "real life" events have taken priority and do not have much time to spend showing anyone the ropes. If you have any questions, just ask. Eventually, someone will respond. May be me or someone else (time pending, of course). I wish you luck in your quest.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Tue 10 Dec 2019 - 21:19 by alphons

pepillopev wrote:
alphons wrote:I`ve been watching videos on Youtube, downloaded various programs but I can´t figure this thing out on how to getting started with this.
If you do not have some kind of coding background, it is going to be a lot more difficult to learn. Don't let that stop you if you want to learn but be prepared to do a lot of reading. The links gizaha posted earlier is worth a start.
alphons wrote:Can you recommend me any particular program for coding or programming?
If using Windows, you will need:
#1 Text Editor (to write your code, NotePad++)
#2 Assembler (to add your code into an existing ROM, asar/xkas)
#3 IPS Patcher (create patches to distribute your work, flips)
I have no recommendations for Linux. I do not use this OS or its many variants. I provided a link for all software mentioned above, in the link below.
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8rwy2gr9mwtoyx/snes-starter-apps.rar?dl=0

At this moment, in time, this is all I can do for you. Other "real life" events have taken priority and do not have much time to spend showing anyone the ropes. If you have any questions, just ask. Eventually, someone will respond. May be me or someone else (time pending, of course). I wish you luck in your quest.


Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. I`ll do my best, thanks again.

Back to top Go down

alvarogold

Post on Wed 11 Dec 2019 - 9:30 by alvarogold

greetings friend.

I've tried the latest version of your work and it's just great, the progress and developments have been very good and i definitely appreciate the fix of eyedol hehe, but we have a problem, I could see that the new particles raise the requirements of the game making it slow down in certain circumstances especially with Fulgore, is there a way to handle 2 versions? for example:

one where is the complete package of updates and another where we only have these changes?

Better Eyedol death 1 without moving.
Better code at ultra to Eyedol. Death procedure starts after Eyedol touch ground.
Fixed Glacius moveset small bug (i don't remember what)


without the modification of the particles.

I tell you this because there are many people who use the rom in plastation mini cassic or the super nintendo mini and now with the modification of the particles the game is slow, the November 24 version is perfect and I think that this is they could add the fixes of your latest version but without the particle engine.

I appreciate all your attention and again congratulations on your work. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Fri 13 Dec 2019 - 21:36 by alphons

alphons wrote:
pepillopev wrote:
alphons wrote:I`ve been watching videos on Youtube, downloaded various programs but I can´t figure this thing out on how to getting started with this.
If you do not have some kind of coding background, it is going to be a lot more difficult to learn. Don't let that stop you if you want to learn but be prepared to do a lot of reading. The links gizaha posted earlier is worth a start.
alphons wrote:Can you recommend me any particular program for coding or programming?
If using Windows, you will need:
#1 Text Editor (to write your code, NotePad++)
#2 Assembler (to add your code into an existing ROM, asar/xkas)
#3 IPS Patcher (create patches to distribute your work, flips)
I have no recommendations for Linux. I do not use this OS or its many variants. I provided a link for all software mentioned above, in the link below.
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8rwy2gr9mwtoyx/snes-starter-apps.rar?dl=0

At this moment, in time, this is all I can do for you. Other "real life" events have taken priority and do not have much time to spend showing anyone the ropes. If you have any questions, just ask. Eventually, someone will respond. May be me or someone else (time pending, of course). I wish you luck in your quest.


Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. I`ll do my best, thanks again.


It is possible to make a hack where the characters size is the same as in the arcade (I mean games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Final Fight, Fatal Fury, World Heroes, etc.), and is it possible to make port arcade games that were never ported, maybe using some debugger? (games like Darkstalkers, etc.), thanks.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Thu 19 Dec 2019 - 22:08 by niuus

alvarogold wrote:I tell you this because there are many people who use the rom in plastation mini cassic or the super nintendo mini and now with the modification of the particles the game is slow, the November 24 version is perfect and I think that this is they could add the fixes of your latest version but without the particle engine.
Can you upload a copy of that november patch to any file sharing site? I am interested since the game is pretty heavy now and is not running fluidly on the Wii.

One thing has to be said, the game looks gorgeous with all the mods that gizaha has given us so far. I can't even play it in his vanilla form now Very Happy

Back to top Go down

alvarogold

Post on Fri 20 Dec 2019 - 19:40 by alvarogold

niuus wrote:
alvarogold wrote:I tell you this because there are many people who use the rom in plastation mini cassic or the super nintendo mini and now with the modification of the particles the game is slow, the November 24 version is perfect and I think that this is they could add the fixes of your latest version but without the particle engine.
Can you upload a copy of that november patch to any file sharing site? I am interested since the game is pretty heavy now and is not running fluidly on the Wii.

One thing has to be said, the game looks gorgeous with all the mods that gizaha has given us so far. I can't even play it in his vanilla form now Very Happy

here https://mega.nz/#!wNgVRQqJ!4PzHink4p1CYA43hlx2k11jlzvgPhbGf-PCVfEvUSZY

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Fri 20 Dec 2019 - 20:57 by alphons

alphons wrote:
alphons wrote:
pepillopev wrote:
alphons wrote:I`ve been watching videos on Youtube, downloaded various programs but I can´t figure this thing out on how to getting started with this.
If you do not have some kind of coding background, it is going to be a lot more difficult to learn. Don't let that stop you if you want to learn but be prepared to do a lot of reading. The links gizaha posted earlier is worth a start.
alphons wrote:Can you recommend me any particular program for coding or programming?
If using Windows, you will need:
#1 Text Editor (to write your code, NotePad++)
#2 Assembler (to add your code into an existing ROM, asar/xkas)
#3 IPS Patcher (create patches to distribute your work, flips)
I have no recommendations for Linux. I do not use this OS or its many variants. I provided a link for all software mentioned above, in the link below.
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8rwy2gr9mwtoyx/snes-starter-apps.rar?dl=0

At this moment, in time, this is all I can do for you. Other "real life" events have taken priority and do not have much time to spend showing anyone the ropes. If you have any questions, just ask. Eventually, someone will respond. May be me or someone else (time pending, of course). I wish you luck in your quest.


Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. I`ll do my best, thanks again.


It is possible to make a hack where the characters size is the same as in the arcade (I mean games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Final Fight, Fatal Fury, World Heroes, etc.), and is it possible to make port arcade games that were never ported, maybe using some debugger? (games like Darkstalkers, etc.), thanks.


Already downloaded the programs that you recommended me, but I can`t figure out how they work, for example, I opened Notepad++ and I opened a Rom but the only thing I got was some hindu like symbols, I understand that In order to change a certain game you must understand its "engine", is there any way to understand properly those "symbols"?, thanks.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Sun 22 Dec 2019 - 19:24 by niuus

alphons wrote:Already downloaded the programs that you recommended me, but I can`t figure out how they work, for example, I opened Notepad++ and I opened a Rom but the only thing I got was some hindu like symbols, I understand that In order to change a certain game you must understand its "engine", is there any way to understand properly those "symbols"?, thanks.
You don't open roms in Notepad++. That's for writing your asm code.

I think this section of the forum could be useful for your pursue:
https://www.zeldix.net/f10-asm-hacking

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Thu 26 Dec 2019 - 16:46 by yoalieh

gizaha wrote:
The frame around the video when it showcases the characters is completely garbled


In current today's patch, in address 9f712, i have a9 8a.
8a is where the point irq will start. Use a smaller value, like 6a.
Optimally, lines on the left of the screen would disappeared AND at the right on the screen you will not have black lines.
Tell me the results.
*this only affects intro fmv. Vs screen uses different player and settings.

You can download patch and msu file from my onedrive folder, since it always contains the current version.
FMV from other msu games like zelda aren't interchangable, nor KI fmvs will play in another player.

Hi, new in the forum. I have not experience in snes rom development, but i'm proficient in low level and mcu programming and assembly.

I tried to test your patch in a new sd2snes pro v1.10.3, and the current version (191208) still fails to start.

I tried your suggestion to check the starting video, but I couldn't find any a9 8a in the 9f712 address in the rom after patching. I searched in an older version of the patched rom (before the particle system seems, not sure about the date), and in 9f960 i found a9 8a. I modified 8a to 6a, and tested on the sd2snes pro, the artifacts on the left side of the screen were cleaned, but some random black artifacts appeared on the other side of the screen, but less often than the ones in the left side. I'm tempted to try with another value, but right now I don't have more time to test.

I work from home, my snes is at my side, and I can help as I learn more about snes development and hacking.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Thu 26 Dec 2019 - 19:00 by niuus

alvarogold wrote:
niuus wrote:
alvarogold wrote:I tell you this because there are many people who use the rom in plastation mini cassic or the super nintendo mini and now with the modification of the particles the game is slow, the November 24 version is perfect and I think that this is they could add the fixes of your latest version but without the particle engine.
Can you upload a copy of that november patch to any file sharing site? I am interested since the game is pretty heavy now and is not running fluidly on the Wii.

One thing has to be said, the game looks gorgeous with all the mods that gizaha has given us so far. I can't even play it in his vanilla form now Very Happy

here https://mega.nz/
Thanks man! Downloading

yoalieh wrote:Hi, new in the forum. I have not experience in snes rom development, but i'm proficient in low level and mcu programming and assembly.

I tried to test your patch in a new sd2snes pro v1.10.3, and the current version (191208) still fails to start.

I tried your suggestion to check the starting video, but I couldn't find any a9 8a in the 9f712 address in the rom after patching. I searched in an older version of the patched rom (before the particle system seems, not sure about the date), and in 9f960 i found a9 8a. I modified 8a to 6a, and tested on the sd2snes pro, the artifacts on the left side of the screen were cleaned, but some random black artifacts appeared on the other side of the screen, but less often than the ones in the left side. I'm tempted to try with another value, but right now I don't have more time to test.

I work from home, my snes is at my side, and I can help as I learn more about snes development and hacking.
Is there hope for SD2SNES version to work sometime in the future? Just curious, i would love to have one someday.

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum