Tool for very basic rom edits

Go down

Tool for very basic rom edits Empty Tool for very basic rom edits

Post by gamesaucer Tue 17 Dec 2019 - 10:37

Hey folks! I'm a programmer who has very recently taken an interest in romhacking. As a challenge to myself I've decided to develop a tool for editing Link to the Past roms. It's only really suited for very rudimentary edits, but I figured I might as well post it here in case anyone gets some use out of it.

Here's a GitHub link to the project. I've dubbed it CustomiZ3.

You can install it very simply via Node Package Manager (though that does require having Node installed) by running the command
Code:
npm install -g @gamesaucer/customiz3-cli

After installing, you can build an edit solely by working out of the commandline. As an example:
Code:
customiz3 init changes.json
customiz3 set changes.json --holes.uncle=well --holes.well=uncle
customiz3 patch changes.json originalRom.sfc newRom.sfc

This edit will make the hole next to Hyrule Castle lead to the well in Kakariko village, and vice versa.

The tool's current capabilities are limited to changing dropdowns, flute locations and whirlpool locations. I'm not sure how much it'll be able to achieve in the future, since the approach I've taken is somewhat limiting. But in its primary goal of motivating me it's already succeeded.

I hope a project like this isn't out of place here; I don't want to make a bad first impression. Regardless, I'm happy to be here.

gamesaucer
Newcomer

Since : 2019-12-12

https://github.com/gamesaucer

Back to top Go down