Star Ocean

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Star Ocean - Page 2 Empty Re: Star Ocean

Post by RedScorpion Mon 30 Mar 2020 - 5:07

You can import all pcms in audacity. There you can compare the pcms with the the files of your soundtrack.

Thanks

red
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

Star Ocean - Page 2 Image111

Since : 2013-04-28

http://www.snes-projects.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Mon 30 Mar 2020 - 5:11

Found it. It was the First Departure soundtrack.

https://vgmdb.net/album/5717

Which is already done, so I can discard that now. Very Happy
Relikk
Relikk

Star Ocean - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by RedScorpion Tue 31 Mar 2020 - 9:12

Sorry.
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaHell Mon 27 Apr 2020 - 23:08

I ran the patch V7 on the SD2SNES patched version that not using the SDD1, the 96 Meg one. The game ran fine but im not hearing difference in the music track on my SD2SNES. I doubt i will be able to patch the regular SDD1 version of 48 Mbyte. I wanted to test the patch and give it a run

ProximaHell
Rope
Rope

Since : 2018-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 3:33

There is a spc fallback if the track is not found, so either your setup isn't ok (e.g. missing the msu file) or it is indeed msu playing and you only think it is spc.

You should counter check your setup on emulator. If there is no mistake on your side, you may want to inform ikari.
Conn
Conn

Star Ocean - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by RedScorpion Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 3:45

I will check it.
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 10:11

Conn wrote:There is a spc fallback if the track is not found, so either your setup isn't ok (e.g. missing the msu file) or it is indeed msu playing and you only think it is spc.

It's a different ROM so it's probably safe to say the patch isn't compatible with it. The expanded ROM is a hack that removed the the need for the S-DD1 chip so it could be played on early flash carts that couldn't emulate the S-DD1.

Last edited by Relikk on Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 13:54; edited 1 time in total
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 13:46

Thanks for clarification, Relikk. Yes the patch is for the usual 6MB rom (48Mbit). I didn't even know a 12 MB (96Mbit) rom can exist Disgust

Anyways, sd2snes is able to emulate sdd1 since a firmware update (you don't even have to have the pro)... so I do not understand the problem in this sentence:
. I doubt i will be able to patch the regular SDD1 version of 48 Mbyte.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaHell Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 13:55

Hey Conn and Relik,

I doubt i will be able to patch the regular SDD1 version of 48 Mb

It comes to the last years discussions that there is not enough space on the SD2SNES FPGA to do both MSU1 and special chips at the same time. Maybe i dreamt that.

I will try patching the regular rom

ProximaHell
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 14:00

I think it's only SA-1 + MSU1 isn't possible on the old SD2SNES, but I sold my original when the Pro came out so I can't say for sure without testing. ProximaHell will let us know.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaHell Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 23:29

I tried the other rom, i think it fallback to SPC. i dont understand. I even tried Snes9x 1.55 from qwertymodo and same thing.

Im starting to think that maybe the title screen and ouverture were not altered as they are not in the PSP remake.

If i could know which track of the PCM set is played first in the playthrough i think this might help. Is it when you first step out of the house after the first dialogue and you see the bandits?

I tried installing SNESamp for winamp to listen to what the first PCM track sounds like but it doesnt work.

EDIT: i downloaded audacity and imported the raw data as 16 bit and cool i can have a listen of the tracks so PCM2 and 3 are actually the opening and they play fine with SNES 9X 1.55 so after verification i will compare my sd2snes witth audacity.

I think one indication that i'm finding at the title screen, is that the new SPC loops after 30 seconds as the original tend to have a longer melody ( i could be wrong)

More to come about the SD2SNES compatibility

ProximaHell
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 29 Apr 2020 - 3:31

title screen is track -2
intro is track -3
village track -10
leaving house (at beginning to fight guards) -34

So what you can do is getting another pcm set, like mario world and rename the tracks to e.g. so_msu1-10.pcm.
This way you can be sure whether spc or msu is playing.

BTW: this may be of interest for you:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1543-msu-1-audio-player
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 30 Apr 2020 - 15:34

PepilloPev wrote:I would like to add that it works fine on both. Both flash carts support SDD+MSU1. There is an ongoing mix up between SDD+MSU1 and SA-1+MSU1 going on at Stone Age Gamer Discord every now and then. I even heard some saying OG SD2SNES is not compatible at all. This is not true. Only exception is SA-1+MSU1.

And yes, Star Ocean 48Mbit version will work fine with OG SD2SNES too. The latest firmware has SDD+MSU1 on it.

I quote it here, this is true. RedScorpion just tested on his sd2snes (not pro) and StarOcean works just fine. So any problems (spc fallback or something) is related to a wrong setup or bad auditive skills, like thinking it is spc while it is indeed msu. <- this is not meant as offense, I too cannot differ between spc and msu1 unless the difference is obvious. For testing supposes I often use msu packs from a different game like zelda or super mario and rename them using bulk rename utility.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaHell Thu 30 Apr 2020 - 20:33

Yep you are right, i tested again yesterday evening with the real version of Star Ocean and it was working. I am a musician i don't understand why i was unable to hear the difference to be honest. I took a track of FF5 MSU and swapped it and it was working.

So we can safely said that the patch work great on SD2SNES.

Now i need to playthough this until the end I hope. This should be pretty soon. I will probably play blind and if it takes to much of my time i will use a FAQ. I will report problem if any.

ProximaHell
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 1 May 2020 - 6:55

That's awesome, thank you Very Happy
This patch is still in the dev phase, and will remain there until at least one person has played it from beginning to end and gives a thumbs up (bug-free). Afterwards it is moved into the database.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by RedScorpion Thu 7 May 2020 - 2:19

Relikk wrote:I think it's only SA-1 + MSU1 isn't possible on the old SD2SNES, but I sold my original when the Pro came out so I can't say for sure without testing. ProximaHell will let us know.

Hi Relikk,

no that is not true. Also the "old" Hardwarerevision Support the SA-1 Chip. So the native (not96Mbit) version will work. SA-1 was developed and implemted in the sd2snes fpga from magno 2 years ago.

Please pay attention that the rom layout from the nevteski 96mbit version is comple mixed and different from the original.

I heart from conn that the sa-1 and msu wont work, but test it by my own and it works weel.

Thanks

red
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 7 May 2020 - 4:51

I know the old hardware revision supports SA-1, but what I meant was that it can't do SA-1 and MSU1 at the same time. Only the Pro can do that as it fits in the FPGA the Pro uses. It doesn't fit the FPGA the old revisions use. For example, I remember testing Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius MSU1 when I had my old SD2SNES and the PCM audio didn't play.

Star Ocean is an S-DD1 game (original, not expanded), so there will be no issues with any revision of SD2SNES, even with MSU1 tacked on.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 7 May 2020 - 4:59

It gets confusing... Very Happy

no that is not true. Also the "old" Hardwarerevision Support the SA-1 Chip. So the native (not96Mbit) version will work.
I thought Star Ocean does not use SA-1, only SDD. So for Star Ocean it doesn't matter if SA-1 is supported (96Mbit or 48 MBit).

SA-1 was developed and implemted in the sd2snes fpga from magno 2 years ago.
I think it was redguy...

Please pay attention that the rom layout from the nevteski 96mbit version is comple mixed and different from the original.
Since sd2snes supports sdd, and this 96Mbit patch was developed to run on sd2snes before the compatibility was updated, I see no reason to port my msu patch for this version.

I heart from conn that the sa-1 and msu wont work, but test it by my own and it works weel.
This could be true, redguy developed the sa-1 before the pro came out. So my guess is that there is no game that needs the pro to run... this is also stated indirectly in this article:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sd2snes-pro-whats-new.554321/
But I cannot say, if really all games that have BOTH msu1 and SA1/SuperFX run on the old sd2snes (Yoshi's Island (SFX), StarFox(SFX), SuperMario RPG (SA1), Kirby DreamLand (SA1)....
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Mon 11 May 2020 - 4:53

Conn wrote:
SA-1 was developed and implemted in the sd2snes fpga from magno 2 years ago.

I think it was redguy...

Correct. Although, S-DD1 was magno's doing.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 23 May 2020 - 17:20

Long Time no post/bug report here... Is anybody still testing?

I see the patch download is counted 20 times, so chances are good that no further bugs pop up Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by RedScorpion Thu 28 May 2020 - 2:31

I'm in the last 2 chapter of SO. Still in testing modus, but you can release it! Do it! Wink

We have seen that every patch could be some bugs later and will find from other users ,)

Thanks

red
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 28 May 2020 - 3:02

Ok, thanks, it is now here:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2105-star-ocean#34414