Repeated mistakes...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repeated mistakes...

Post by moegami on Tue 27 Aug 2013 - 22:27

So this is kind of a long one, if you don't feel like reading very much I'd probably just ignore it since I'm really just ranting about something that's been urking me lately.

This whole thing technically takes me back around 2 years (meaning yes, I was 13 just bare with me) when I found a malware/technology forum on the internet that I joined because the administrator had a youtube that helped me remove a virus I had and I felt really smart for doing so, so I joined the forums. The site was particularly interesting because it had a forum that was relatively active as well as a chatroom, I'll explain why I point this out.

I learned a lot about computers, malware, and what not and eventually tried getting into scripting. By scripting I mean like basic HTML and CSS to create my own website. Around this time the site I was going on was beginning to crack down on its' moderation and a lot of users weren't exactly a fan of it. So I set up the same chatroom script they were using on my site as a sort of fallout shelter since people were getting easily banned on the malware forum. As time went on however people began to expect my site to turn into the new replacement and asked me to make a forum and whatnot. I wasn't exactly a fan of just having another pointless phpbb board purely because it didn't have a theme such as malware or romhacking so why would it have to be there?

As time went on I had a buddy of mine be the admin of the forum and I just sort of looked at it from time to time while I used the main site for development and learning php and making different scripts and whatnot. We had created our own little haven where we could be as immature as we wanted to be and it was pure bliss. However we were still young teenagers full of angst and thought we knew the world so it wouldn't be without arguments. Time felt to almost had taken a halt when we chatted on there and personally I felt like we were maturing way more than anyone else in the world...

This lead to arrogance in not only myself but others, without going into details eventually we all broke up leaving the site as just a lost memory. The malware forum still existed and we tried to resurrect my site loads of time but there was no way to restore the same tranquility we had before. This was about a year after the sites conception. Not long after another site came along similarly themed to the malware forum but claimed to have less strict moderation and staff.

To make a long story short the site had lots of drama and inevitably (as of about a week ago) died just like my site is. However no matter what you do to a site the community still lives. We found other ways to chat of course, we were all still friends. Just a few minutes ago I got into a huge argument with one of the guys from the site that just shut down because he is trying to start another site that will claim to have better moderation and be less strict than that site. Hopefully you're seeing a pattern here, no new site and new theme will change the way we act together. Every site brought a few new members into the community but the core remained the same. A lot of this was because everyone wanted active forums but still used the chatroom.

This is why I was surprised with the malware forum, it maintained both whereas the other sites had dead forums and chatrooms full of ignorance. This is kind of what I find so blissful about Zeldix, it's enclosed and it's not plagued by a lot of flaws I've seen in the past.

So the reason I'm even writing this is because it frustrates me to see someone trying to do the same thing over and over again expecting things to change, I'm no genius but I'm smart enough to see when something doesn't work. When these forums and sites split up, people disappear. Really good people just have enough of it and leave and I lost one of my best friends that way. I didn't exactly want to socialize much outside of the internet and to see this cause so much drama just brings back bad memories.

I just don't know, am I being unreasonable saying this person shouldn't make a site? Everyone was disagreeing with me and I didn't understand if they were blind or if I was being unreasonable. I just don't see good coming from not learning from obvious mistakes...

tl;dr lots of sites have died in the past and i see it happening again and for some reason, I'm the only one who apposes it. Am I wrong for that?
moegami

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Repeated mistakes...

Post by Trovsky on Thu 10 Apr 2014 - 20:08

I'm sorry about your experience. I think it's hard to get away from a site where you received a lot of abuse. I will tell you this, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results". I'm on your side Very Happy, I think the people you are affiliated with seem (from what I've read) to be jerks. I think your reasoning is justified.

Trovsky
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by moegami on Tue 15 Apr 2014 - 17:27

Funny enough, this site went live and was popular for a time but so much drama happened that now it's just as dead as all the other sites in the past. Forums just can't survive well when they have no purpose other than to just hang out.
moegami

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum