Zelda III: Bruce Campbell & Pinky's Quest

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zelda III: Bruce Campbell & Pinky's Quest

Post by SunGodPortal on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 1:41

I decided to completely rewrite the first post here since the goal of this project has changed quite drastically. My original idea was to do a text and graphics hack to replace Link with Zelda, but once I really got into it I decided it would be more fun to lay the groundwork for my own ALttP hack.

Here's some of my latest progress.

I've got the majority of the graphics for the legendary heroine in a "first draft" stage. Link has been replaced by a little girl in pink pajamas.

Last edited by SunGodPortal on Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 6:14; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : wanted better sounding title)
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Zelda III: Bruce Campbell & Pinky's Quest

Post by Puzzledude on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 8:08

I believe the main sprite in this case is a so called: "give credit if used". Most of the spriters, which publish their work, go by that strategy (otherwise, they just don't publish at all). So there should be no problem for you to use it and simply add the info on the author.

Some more main character sprites here
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=7321

Most hacks currently being in developement use the Link sprite drawn by Daisuke.

Regarding YY-chr. You need to play the game in Zsnes until the sprite, that you want to edit is "on-screen". Then make a save state. Load this ZST save state in YY-chr under Palettes and then keep pressing the "down-arrow" button and eventually the correct palettes for the sprite that you are editing should appear.

Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 10:19

In Third/Fourth Quest I made the possibility to Play as Zelda, she will rescue Link then (I made a simple tile swap depending on the character you Play with):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4uxjFXCwkg
Perhaps this is an Option, guess you'd only have to replace the Zelda with Link tiles then.
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:33

Yeah I had considered swapping roles in that manner. But ALttP has much more story to it so after I really started to dig into it, it just seemed like the game would no longer make sense if I did that. To find a solution I made four questions that would have to be answered in order to find the right fit.

1) Why is Zelda sleeping at a commoner's house/not in the palace?
2) Who would she be sneaking into the palace to rescue?
3) Why would the person from the previous question be important enough to be abducted twice in the story?
4) Why would the villagers run away and try to have Zelda arrested?

I'm still weighing my options with this but I did have one idea that would probably work (even if most other people might think some of it's stupid).

1) she's in hiding because of Agahnim's actions
2) her "sister" Hilda (LOL), a reference to Sabrina the Teenage Witch
3) it's Zelda's sister
4) her reputation has been ruined by Agahnim and his brainwashed followers

Simple enough right?

To Puzzledude:
Okay. Thanks Puzz. I'll def give credit to anyone who has any impact on this project. I noticed that in that thread the Zelda sprites were credited to "On Swift Wings", is that Crimson's username on the other board? As for YY-CHR, I finally figured it out by accident so I probably should have just taken a little more time to figure it out on my own before running to the forums. Embarassed

Last edited by SunGodPortal on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 16:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I replied to Conn but forgot to address Puzzledude)
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Creds for inspiration???

Post by Dogeritos on Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 18:27

Can I get creds for inspiration? Laughing Pls senpai Sad
Dogeritos

Since : 2014-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 19:48

Believe me I will give credit to anyone who has an impact on this project. Since we're working on the same game at the same time I'm sure we'll probably end up swapping plenty of ideas. Example: I love the idea of changing the healing fairy graphics to look like Navi. I also noticed a patch on that BS Zelda page where Con replaced the witch's assistant with Maple.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogeritos on Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 20:03

Awesome Very Happy
Dogeritos

Back to top Go down

Post by ShinyPikablu on Mon 2 Feb 2015 - 18:05

This looks quite interesting just because of this new character, I wonder how the story will end up....
ShinyPikablu

Since : 2014-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Mon 2 Feb 2015 - 20:14

I finished up Pinky's graphics (that's what I'm calling her for now) and now I'm play testing to see what I can improve about her. This is my first major hack. I think it took about 10 hours to do her graphics (Link has a lot of movements). I stole the head from the BS-X Zelda girl but I plan on improving some of her face sprites. Those will be minor changes though (to the face), for the most part I'm quite satisfied with her look (she's cute). Graphics are my main focus for now. I plan on seeing what I can do with some of the other characters and a few of the landscape/interiors as well.

As for other things like dungeons and the story, right now a lot of my concepts for that stuff are pretty foggy and will remain that way until I know more about what sort of limitations/restrictions I'll run into because of 1) how flexible the scenarios are 2) my current skillset and 3) the available tools.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by moegami on Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 0:00

I like the humble beginnings type of thing going on here and I think you're taking a decent approach. I think in the case of a Zelda game where you're not playing as Link you really want to dedicate the bulk of your story development around this new character, sure you could play a basic link female version but I feel like a lot more could be done with this.

The first thing that came to mind for me was that since she's in pajamas I thought of dreams. Like if the "dark world" was actually some sort of dream world only your character had access to and you used transporting to it or "falling asleep" as a way to do magical things through your dreams and project them onto the real world. I think developing a strong protagonist and making them unique and not just an alternative sprite is important.

but yeah, that's just my two cents. I like the sprite and keep doin what u do
moegami

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogeritos on Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 21:11

moegami wrote:I like the humble beginnings type of thing going on here and I think you're taking a decent approach. I think in the case of a Zelda game where you're not playing as Link you really want to dedicate the bulk of your story development around this new character, sure you could play a basic link female version but I feel like a lot more could be done with this.

The first thing that came to mind for me was that since she's in pajamas I thought of dreams. Like if the "dark world" was actually some sort of dream world only your character had access to and you used transporting to it or "falling asleep" as a way to do magical things through your dreams and project them onto the real world. I think developing a strong protagonist and making them unique and not just an alternative sprite is important.

but yeah, that's just my two cents. I like the sprite and keep doin what u do

That's an amazing idea, I'd work with that one, SunGodPortal! Very Happy
Dogeritos

Back to top Go down

Different art

Post by SunGodPortal on Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 23:36

After getting some practice with my first attempt at character art I decided to experiment a little more with the dress concept I had before I made the change to pajamas. This time i started from scratch and didn't borrow the BS-X girl's head (upgrade!).

I think it looks much better than what I started with. LOL
first attempt
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 19:04

Sorry. I meant to respond to this earlier but I totally forgot.

moegami wrote:The first thing that came to mind for me was that since she's in pajamas I thought of dreams. Like if the "dark world" was actually some sort of dream world only your character had access to and you used transporting to it or "falling asleep" as a way to do magical things through your dreams and project them onto the real world. I think developing a strong protagonist and making them unique and not just an alternative sprite is important.

I actually like this idea quite a bit, but for me to feel satisfied with a concept like that I'd have to do a lot more work than I am currently willing to take on (mainly graphics, but also the story). I'd want to go all the way and make the game my own. That being said, this will NOT be a simple sprite hack. While I do want to stick to much of the original story (to help keep my work load from getting that much more out of control, I am working on this alone after all) I will at least be rewriting the story concerning the main character. There will be a new overworld and dungeons as well.

Pinky's story is slowly starting to come together. Link's Uncle is going to be transformed into her mom and the Priest will be her ghost (after being killed in the opening scenario), there to encourage Pinky to be strong in the face of all that she suddenly has to overcome. In that case, the cute pink pajamas will be more to symbolize that she's still just a little girl, even if she now has burdens that no normal little girl would have to face. The wimpy appearance serves only to make her seem that much stronger.

Last edited by SunGodPortal on Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 19:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something important)
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by moegami on Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 19:10

I would recommend avoiding the plot structure of LttP unless you really know how to manipulate it. The whole beat aghanim go to dark world thing is really played out and parallel worlds shows that despite changing up the story a bit, it still feels like cut straight out of Lttp.

Parallel Universes at least breaks away from this formula and relies less on hardcoded events to tell the story but the game itself painting the picture. It's really a testament to good game design if you can pull this off without bandwagoning the original link to the past story.
moegami

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 19:41

Perhaps I painted the wrong picture with my last response. I know I want fewer but larger dungeons and very little to do with the dark world. I guess that wouldn't be changing the story so much as it would be leaving a lot of it out.

My ideal scenario would take place in the light world only, but with more dungeons than it originally had (and as stated before, bigger ones). Maybe even leave the pendants out, have each boss guard an item that makes the next dungeon playable and have the player make a quick exit with the mirror afterwords. I'd also like to leave out at least a third of the original items since a few of them really aren't that useful. And forget having the medallions or armor upgrades. I'll even leave the gloves out if I can (depends on how creative I can get with the other items). I don't intend for this to be a ridiculous "hard-mode" kind of hack, I just want it to be that much different.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 2:02

SunGodPortal wrote:Pinky's story is slowly starting to come together.

I've thought about it a little more. I don't want a story. That's fluff. I just want a game that looks good and is fun to play with no hubris. Smile
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by moegami on Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 8:31

Puzzledudes Quest 2 confirmed
moegami

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 20:28

No. Zelda III - Pinky's Quest.  Smile  New overworld, new dungeons, a few new graphics, an emphasis on challenge without being overly masochistic and no story. Even the original story. This will be my approach.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Update 2-17-15

Post by SunGodPortal on Wed 18 Feb 2015 - 3:54

After a few weeks of getting used to the editor, experiments, some overworld editing and shitload of research I finally started building my indoor areas. In the coming days/weeks Zelda will be redrawn to look more like a geeky little girl, the exterior of the castle will receive a makeover and more of the surrounding village will be constructed.

The place in the first screenshot was originally going to be a more friendly version of Hyrule Castle but now I've decided to turn it into something more like an inn/resort area. You can see a mistake I overlooked at the end of the bar there. *doh* The second shot is outside and before I decided to drop the castle theme. You can see here that I got rid of the original castle wall and was going to have the village moved in pretty close.

Concept update: The game will center around Pinky and "Zelda", who are cousins that head out for adventure one stormy night when insomnia leads to boredom. I intend to have the two together for the entire game. I actually did quite a bit of testing to make sure the game would still function like this. The results were pretty interesting. Ever go to the mountains in the first phase of the game (which it was obviously not designed for)? Looks pretty weird.

Last edited by SunGodPortal on Wed 18 Feb 2015 - 3:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put a title on it)
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 7:06

Rather than start a new thread for Bruce Campbell vs Ganon 2.0 or Redux or whatever the appropriate title is, I decided to rename my project thread for Pinky's Quest and use this space for both projects.

For any of you who are interested I decided to start with a fresh ROM and rebuild BCvsG from scratch. The original ROM is quite mangled I assume because it shows the usual signs of Hyrule Magic Syndrome: iffy title, save and name screens and I have had absolutly no luck in getting it to load on a SNES Powerpak (it's a wonder it didn't set it on fire). Anyone who's played the 1.0 or 1.1 will know that it needs a lot of work concerning pretty much every aspect. It deserves to be rebooted though.

Anyway, I started on this late last week (I think?) and with the exception of one huge snafu right from the word go, things have been moving along pretty well. So far my strategy has been: keep what works, fix what needs fixing and if something is too similar to the original ALttP, change it.

I'm happy to say that the Eastern Palace has been play tested and other than a few mostly cosmetic additions I'd like to throw at certain areas (like that one empty looking space in the pic below), it's finished and it works perfectly! I'm not sure why I skipped to it rather than doing Hyrule Castle first but whatever. I actually made a ton of changes to this dungeon. Most of it was just too similar to the original. I'll be going back and doing Hyrule Castle next. It'll probably go a lot quicker because for the most part it just needs to be cleaned up. I thought KGP's alterations to it were brilliant and I can think of only a few minor things that I would change. So don't expect any surprises there.

Here's what that one room looks like now if any of you saw the other (crappy) pic I posted a night or two ago. That spiked portion isn't as tough as it looks but if you don't know the trick to it, say your prayers.

Seems like I recall someone on here saying (jokingly I assume) that it should be a requirement to finish one of the 13,000,000,000 unfinished Zelda III hacks before starting your own. haha I guess this could be seen as my community service Wink

Long live Zeldix.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal on Mon 4 May 2015 - 17:50

Oh yeah. I made an announcement at RHDN and I guess I could make one here.

After about 6 years since the last update there will soon be a new patch for Bruce Campbell vs Ganon. I plan on releasing it within the next week or two.

Right now the main focus of the patch is regarding the holes and "bug world". I guess technically bug world is no more. You fall down a hole, the game functions as it is supposed to. No more getting stuck between walls or trapped inside rooms you aren't equiped to escape.

I don't have a finite set of goals right now. It's basically just "what else can I fix within the next two weeks?". I expect to go over the dialogue and maybe tweek a few graphics but this version isn't going to be a complete overhaul or anything. I just want to game to be more playable and to be a more enjoyable experience. KGP seems even more interested in helping now that the biggest issue has been fixed (I'm sure he appreciates it). We're going to be discussing these things over the next few days.

Anyway, stay tuned for more.
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by kgp4death on Tue 5 May 2015 - 18:13

can some one point me in the right direction to replace text in credits....i am doing a realtive search via windhex and am finding most of the text but how am i editing do i need to build a table does anyone have a table handy to save some time, i did try just modifying the right side and saving out but that didn't work.....forget it figured it out multiple table files needed at least two maybe more

kgp4death

Since : 2015-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Wed 6 May 2015 - 6:07

kgp4death wrote:can some one point me in the right direction to replace text in credits....i am doing a realtive search via windhex and am finding most of the text but how am i editing do i need to build a table does anyone have a table handy to save some time, i did try just modifying the right side and saving out but that didn't work.....forget it figured it out multiple table files needed at least two maybe more

I'll just quote myself here:
And yes, there are multiple tables due to multiple colours (small letters). The big text also has 2 tables (upper part and lower part).

Puzzledude wrote:
Here is the rest of the TXT file, which is dealing with the Ending sequence

*ENDING SEQUENCE*

1.) FIRST PART correct values (found by PuzzleDude)

(No header, with header)
Ganon entrance to the triforce shrine,
15E26 = 89, 16026 = 89
15E27 = 01, 16027 = 01

GFX in triforce shrine
15E76 = 88, 16076 = 88
15F14 = 00, 16114 = 00

scroll up-down in triforce shrine
15FB1 = 00, 161B1 = 00
15FB2 = 00, 161B2 = 00

scroll left-right in triforce shrine
1604F = 00, 1624F = 00

2.)A) SECOND PART TEXT

EXAMPLE:

First text is:
the return of the king (small text)
HYRULE CASTLE (BIG TEXT)

Go to WinHex32, go to relative search and type: return,
it will tell you, that the return is 2B 1E 2D 2E 2B 27

THE RETURN... = 2D 21 1E 9F 2B 1E 2D 2E 2B 27 ...

now you have the location

Go to WinHex32, go to relative search and type: Castle
it will tell you, that the castle is 5F 5D 6F 70 68 61 and 85 83 95 96 8E 87

now you have the locations

-----------

ALPHABET

SMALL TEXT COLOUR1/2/3
A=1A, A=38, A=00
B=1B, B=39, B=01
C=1C, C=3A, C=02
D=1D, D=3B, D=03
E=1E, E=3C, E=04
F=1F, F=3D, F=05
G=20, G=3E, G=06
H=21, H=3F, H=07
I=22, I=40, I=08
J=23, J=41, J=09
K=24, K=42, K=0A
L=25, L=43, L=0B
M=26, M=44, M=0C
N=27, N=45, N=0D
O=28, O=46, O=0E
P=29, P=47, P=0F
Q=2A, Q=48, Q=10
R=2B, R=49, R=11
S=2C, S=4A, S=12
T=2D, T=4B, T=13
U=2E, U=4C, U=14
V=2F, V=4D, V=15
W=30, W=4E, W=16
X=31, X=4F, X=17
Y=32, Y=50, Y=18
Z=33, Z=51, Z=19
APOSTROPH=34
EMPTY=9F, EMPTY=9F, EMPTY=9F

BIG TEXT (2 VALUES, UPPER ROW, LOWER ROW,
BUT UPPER ROW ALWAYS TOGETHER AND LOWER ROW ALWAYS TOGETHER)

UP----LOW
A=5D, 83
B=5E, 84
C=5F, 85
D=60, 86
E=61, 87
F=62, 88
G=63, 89
H=64, 8A
I=65, 8B
J=66, 8C
K=67, 8D
L=68, 8E
M=69, 8F
N=6A, 90
O=6B, 91
P=6C, 92
Q=6D, 93
R=6E, 94
S=6F, 95
T=70, 96
U=71, 97
V=72, 98
W=73, 99
X=74, 9A
Y=75, 9B
Z=76, 9C
EMPTY= 9F

-----------

Lets say you want to change:
the return of the king (22 letters)

to this:
the evil is vanishing (21 letters) 22 is 21+1

With relative search find the starting byte and replace the 22 old bytes with this:
2D 21 1E, 9F, 1E 2F 22 25, 9F, 22 2C, 9F, 2F 1A 27 22 2C 21 22 27 29, 9F

-----------

Lets say you want to change:
HYRULE CASTLE (13 letters)

to this:
DARK TEMPLE (11 letters) 13 is 1+11+1 (first and second value must be empty because of the centering)

With relative search find the starting byte of the First row and replace the 13 old bytes with this:
9F, 60 5D 6E 67, 9F, 70 61 69 6C 68 61, 9F

With relative search find the starting byte of the Second row and replace the 13 old bytes with this:
9F, 86 83 94 8D, 9F, 96 87 8F 92 8E 87, 9F

2.)B) SECOND PART, SPECIAL EXITS (found by PuzzleDude)
(this is not the door but the location of the frames of the ending)

01.) EXIT 1000 (place it in big area, lower middle position of the exit, picture travels up, place it so that the sprites are not seen)
02.) room 18 (automatic)
03.) EXIT 1002 (place it in big area, upper right, travels down and left)
04.) EXIT 1012 (big area, lower middle, travels up)
05.) EXIT 1004 (big area, middle up, travels down)
06.) EXIT 1006 (small area, upper right, travels down left)
07.) EXIT 1010 (big area = zora domain, upper left, travels right)
08.) EXIT 1014 (small area, upper middle, travels down)
09.) EXIT 100A (small area, middle right, travels left)
10.) EXIT 1016 (big area, middle low, travels up)
11.) room 277 (must be fountain, automatic)
12.) toom 289 (must be smith, automatic)
13.) EXIT 100E (big area, upper left, travels right)
14.) EXIT 1008 (big area, upper right, travels left)
15.) EXIT 1018 (big area, upper left, travels down right)
16.) EXIT 0180 (master sword, automatic)
ps = exit of the small area can be placed in a big area to avoid the sprites

Texts:
01.) the return of the king, HYRULE CASTLE
02.) the loyal sage, SANCTUARY
03.) sahasrahla's homecoming, KAKARIKO TOWN
04.) vultures rule the desert, DESERT PALACE
05.) the bully makes a friend, DEATH MOUNTAIN
06.) your uncle recovers, YOUR HOUSE
07.) flippers for sale, ZORA'S WATERFALL
08.) the witch and assistant, MAGIC SHOP
09.) twin lumberjacks, WOODSMEN'S HUT
10.) flute boy plays again, HOUNTED GROVE
11.) venus. queen of faeries, WISHING WELL
12.) the dwarven swordsmiths, SMITHERY
13.) the bug-catching kid, KAKARIKO TOWN
14.) the lost old man, DEATH MOUNTAIN
15.) the forest thief, LOST WOODS
16.) and the master sword, sleeps again..., FOREVER

3.) THIRD PART, CREDITS AND DUNGEON NAMES (all editable in hex)

Some things to type in the relative search, because they are are subject to change

-executive producer - HIROSHI YAMAUCHI
-producer - SHIGERU MIYAMOTO
-director - TAKASHI TEZUKA
-script writer - KENSUKE TANABE
-assistant directors - YASUHISA YAMAMURA, YOICHI YAMADA

-QUEST HISTORY

-castle of hyrule
-castle dungeon
-east palace
-desert palace
-mountain tower

-level 1 DARK PALACE
-level 2 SWAMP PALACE
-level 3 SKULL WOODS
-level 4 THIEVES' TOWN
-level 5 ICE PALACE
-level 6 MISERY MIRE
-level 7 TURTLE ROCK
-level 8 GANON'S TOWER

Last edited by Puzzledude on Wed 6 May 2015 - 9:25; edited 3 times in total

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by kgp4death on Wed 6 May 2015 - 8:16

very through that is awesome thanks.......so if i wanted to change the color i would just use a different table to replace the text in those bytes right?

kgp4death

Since : 2015-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude on Wed 6 May 2015 - 9:17

kgp4death wrote:very through that is awesome thanks.......so if i wanted to change the color i would just use a different table to replace the text in those bytes right?
Yes, if the text type is "small". The "big" letters however are only standard white with the black line around the letters. You can see the different colours in Parallel Worlds, where Euclid made a statement: "Making this hack has been fun." While making his signature, he used a different colour for each letter, while the statement itself was yellow colour, but "fun" was red. (Euclid obviously knows the hex tables).

Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum