Zeldix Magic

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Zeldix Magic - Page 4 Empty Re: Zeldix Magic

Post by qwertymodo Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 16:15

No ideas there, I only cared about the data pointers for the stuff I did. Ended up having to disassemble the SPC code (and learn a new asm dialect in the process) just to find that stupid table, and once I'd done that, I never went back to it again.

This might be helpful though (along with the term "N-SPC" for further Google-fu): https://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/Nintendo+Music+Format+%28N-SPC%29
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Zeldix Magic - Page 4 Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 16:24

Thank you.

I also realized that the monologue has a few things that need to be addressed:
* The credit text doesn't have an editor. I recall you stating that you modified it at one time and managed the colors at one time. Could you perhaps share the documentation?
* The DTE table in the textfile is a little off and doesn't read the actual DTE table from the ROM. The text location for the DTE table is on the wiki but I do not know the pointers for the table.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 16:41

I dug up my credits editor the other day, only to discover that it was missing a bunch of code I *know* I wrote, like saving the final output of the edits to separate .bin files, or centering the text. I also can't for the life of me find the document where the format was discussed. I think it was one of the threads that mysteriously disappeared like this one: https://www.zeldix.net/t229-all-screens-title-naming-screen-etc#18544

I thought the info was also in the giant HM guide, but I haven't been able to find it there either.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 16:56

Fortunately, I managed to find the thread's original content. Check the thread again. I have a backup of the thread now.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 20:31

qwertymodo wrote:I dug up my credits editor the other day, only to discover that it was missing a bunch of code I *know* I wrote, like saving the final output of the edits to separate .bin files, or centering the text.

Is the data on your own storage device? If so, I would suggest recovering the data with forensic software. What partitioning type was the file on?

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 20:42

The source code files are still there, it's like they rolled back to an old version. File recovery won't help there. I checked a handful of snapshots on my NAS and they're all the same. Probably a file sync gone wrong :/
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sun 8 Jan 2017 - 1:20

qwertymodo wrote:Edit: Yep, same location. If you feel like testing it yourself, go to 0x0D1EF8, the first 2 bytes are D0 36. Overwrite the next 28 bytes with D0 36 D0 36 D0 36 etc, and every song will play the opening intro instead (well, every song in bank 1, I don't know where the pointer table for bank 2 is, I never bothered to track it down).

I verified that the pointer table is correct.
So with the data provided, the intro pointer can be interpreted like so: 0D(implied) D0 36 ==> Bank(implied) HighByte LowByte Thus 0DD036

Except, corrupting data at this address doesn't seem to show a significant effect. Could you explain how I should interpret the pointers and how this can help me with the editor?

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 8 Jan 2017 - 1:44

Those pointers do not refer to ROM addresses, they are part of the block of data that gets loaded into the SPC, and they are SPC addresses. Now, that said, you *can* use them to calculate the full ROM address that they're pointing to, but it's not as simple as slapping the ROM bank on the front, you have to find the start of the SPC data block and calculate from there (and even then the start of the data probably doesn't correspond to address 0, since some of that is probably used as RAM).

They are 2 bytes each, and I'm not sure exactly *what* data they point to, but it is some kind of primary pointer for the entire song, as I said you can test this by copying the same 2 bytes over 15 times (use an existing pointer, not just garbage), and all 15 songs in bank 1 will play the same song. Or swap 2 pointers and you'll swap the 2 songs. Sorry I don't have more details, I only found the table for a specific purpose (switching/duplicating existing songs in-place), so that's as far as my disassembly went.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sun 8 Jan 2017 - 2:44

qwertymodo wrote:Sorry I don't have more details, I only found the table for a specific purpose (switching/duplicating existing songs in-place), so that's as far as my disassembly went.

Oh well. Code for interpreting notes has been done for a while. I'll put it on GitHub when I feel like it. I do appreciate the help, thank you. If you find any documentation that's not on the wiki, please bring it up to me and I'll add it.

I suppose I will see if superskuj can help once he's back from vacation.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 8 Jan 2017 - 2:59

You could always load up bsnes-plus and open the memory viewer to see the SPC memory and look at the data at the pointer addresses, then correlate that the the main ROM.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sun 8 Jan 2017 - 14:11

New update:
* Music: note and instrument interpretation done
* SNES and PC Address converter
* Added zarby's decompression code
* Minor fixes

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 20:17

Responding to a post from another thread

Puzzledude wrote:(modified)

The original rom is behaving differently than the rom saved once with HM. All decoded pointers at 0x137D do not correspond to the actual data location (some do though). The third pointer for instance points to a wrong location in the middle of the code - obviously wrong.

Now you do it vice versa. We can examine the actual code, as the beginning is easy at 0x65D6D. Then you go to each FF. Now you see the data for all screens and where it begins. Then you find the actual pointers (which might be difficult since all 3 bytes which make an address might be separated). Some of them actually match, with the old strategy like the first pointer 0C DD 6D. But not all for some reason.

You might want to analyze the original and then the original saved once with HM and tell the program to do the same, as it seems this adaptation will fix the locations and pointers to actually be read from 13D7 as described (note: the original ROM has this more complex/different).

Perhaps I am converting SNES addresses to PC addresses incorrectly? I tested the conversion and everything seems okay. Check my calculator out in the tools menu. Also check out the code in the MyMath.cs class because some methods aren't used in the GUI calculator.

Also, here's a comparison of the original American ROM with the same ROM once opened in Hyrule Magic: http://alttp.run/hacking/index.php?title=Miscellaneous:Hyrule_Magic/Applied_changes

Anyway, I'm going to test it out on a Hyrule Magiced ROM.

EDIT: It was a reading issue. It's all fixed.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 6:27

It was a reading issue. It's all fixed.
Great.

That list of changes is also great. Those changes reveal the movement of the screens and the new adopted pointers at 137D. They also reveal the secondary pointers, which I never found and are a 2 byte pointers.

All the masive changes are actually not direct changes, the same code for screens just gets reorganized /moved around, but is still the same as in the original.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Zeldix Magic - Page 4 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by zarby89 Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 8:46

The format of the decompressed graphics is planar raw bitmap http://mrclick.zophar.net/TilEd/download/consolegfx.txt here is all the information you need i do have a code to convert them to an image but it not optimal and i think it would take you longer to understand it than just making you own
i'll still link it if you really want to see it http://pastebin.com/aWSjAqcd
zarby89
zarby89

Zeldix Magic - Page 4 Image111

Since : 2016-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 12:09

@Puzzledude If you ever find the other pointers, don't be afraid to contact me about it. If you have any documentation, add it to the wiki in my first post. Very Happy

@zarby89 Thanks, I'm checking it out.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 12:47

Trovsky wrote:@Puzzledude If you ever find the other pointers, don't be afraid to contact me about it. If you have any documentation, add it to the wiki in my first post.
I made the final decoding of all screen (updated) for both Saved and Unsaved Rom here:
https://www.zeldix.net/t229-all-screens-title-naming-screen-etc
I hope you can thus add this to Wiki yourself as I'm a novice in managing the Wiki databases.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowOne333 Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 13:28

This project is certainly great!
I hope it comes along nicely.

I will try to help the most I can, maybe this can help in someway:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20446.msg287234.html#msg287234

In there I explained how to modify the Item names in the Pause Menu. I changed Good Bee to Golden Bee for my Redux hack and also the Flute and Ocarina, I also explain the breakline.
I also seem to recall changing and modifying the text used in the Ending of the game, the sequence with the outcome of all the characters:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21159.msg296101.html#msg296101
I basically erased the first letters and simply left "THE BOY" because "OCARINA" didn't fit, and I couldn't find the pointers to make it fit. Razz

All of this was made without the use of pointers, it was all made by changing Hex values in the ROM.

And just in case this helps too, here's the solution I made to fix the Triforce text not showing up properly when editing the text with Hyrule Magic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20512.msg296566.html#msg296566

I'll see what else I can find to help out with this project!
ShadowOne333
ShadowOne333
Witch
Witch

Since : 2016-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 15:11

ShadowOne333 wrote:This project is certainly great!
I hope it comes along nicely.
Thanks.

ShadowOne333 wrote:
I will try to help the most I can, maybe this can help in someway:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20446.msg287234.html#msg287234

I also seem to recall changing and modifying the text used in the Ending of the game, the sequence with the outcome of all the characters:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21159.msg296101.html#msg296101

Thank you for the documentation.

ShadowOne333 wrote:I'll see what else I can find to help out with this project!
It would be greatly appreciated!

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 15:20

A lot of the same data is also in the Compendium, specially regarding all names of items, that are presented in the menu (this was examined in detail by XaserLe and Spane), as well as ending credits and ending sequence in general. However the pointers for ending credits were not found (or maybe by Redscorpion who was translating this and needed more space).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 15:25

Puzzledude do you know where the info on the credits is in the Compendium?  I've looked several times over the last few weeks and I can't find it.  I know there also used to be a thread here, but somebody totally nuked the documents section at some point last year, which is really frustrating...

Edit: Nevermind, finally found it. I was confusing the Hyrule Magic guide and the Compendium.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 15:28

I uploaded all my docs to zebucket due to having them uploaded here in various locations:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1292-where-did-all-of-the-documents-threads-go

those 3 shortcuts in the upper post should give you most of all documents ever collected/written.

Puzzledude do you know where the info on the credits is in the Compendium?
It is on page 190. This is a copy paste from my ending sequence data in the Vital hex addresses, so it is also in the collection Puzzs docs as a txt file.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 19:04

Ending credits tiles:

Zeldix Magic - Page 4 RCrxl5zl

34 + 35 = centered apostrophe
78 + 9E = exclamation point

everything else should be straightforward
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 13:27

Thanks for that. It will be useful once I get to graphic interpretation which is next to do.

I updated the menu screen code. Check it out. There's a few which the addresses, I think. I know that there's some issue with certain byte values being delimiters so the data gets cut off.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowOne333 Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 16:18

I'm just wondering, will this project support map editing and such alongside with extended roms?
I feel like being able to use expanded ROMs would greatly give a huge advantage to long time hackers.

I, for instance, would like to include the extra dungeon found in the GBA version but the limitation of Hyrule Magic of not being able to create new stuff without deleting something else is a huge bummer.

If this becomes a thing, I would even give a whole ALttP to AST hack a try.
ShadowOne333
ShadowOne333
Witch
Witch

Since : 2016-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 16:35

I, for instance, would like to include the extra dungeon found in the GBA version but the limitation of Hyrule Magic of not being able to create new stuff without deleting something else is a huge bummer.
That's not really the HM thing, it is the game thing.
ALTTP simply will not allow more than 319+1 rooms.
Note: original is using 295+1.
And yet these additional rooms were reserved for houses and caves only, they can not handle dungeons (at least not dungeons with multiple entrances).

Max use for dungeons is from 00 to FF, which makes it 255 rooms +1= Ganon room= room0.

ALTTP however has around 20 percent of all rooms unused (empty) in the 295+1 section. This is something which hacks can use, however again not with HM, as it has a data limit. Also, filling all rooms completely is a bad idea in general for additional bugs as the data "overflow" might cause.

This basically means you are more or less limited to what the original game had, but you can add a little extra rooms. I would say, you can squeeze in around 15-20 more HM rooms max, however these rooms were already predesigned in which dungeon they will go, so making a brand new dungeon is doable, but the global grid of such a dungeon would be extremely limited, ie would need lots of staircases or warps to actually come to the empty rooms on the grid.

Not sure how they handled this in the GBA, but obviously this should thus be compatible, as other dungeons are the same, so the leftovers (empty rooms) should match with what is empty on the room grid between GBA and SNES versions.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next