Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe

Go down

Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe Empty Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe

Post by SunGodPortal Mon 22 May 2017 - 18:59

I started incorporating this program into my toolkit a few months back while working on BCvsG. At times I noticed that there were issues with sprites but I assumed that maybe it was because I had rejected the 3MB format from RT.exe and had perhaps made some mistake when I relocated this data to near the end of my 1.5MB ROM.

Here we are later down the road and I am experiencing issues again. I used RT.exe to transfer the dungeons from Puzzledude's Quest into another, clean ROM for testing purposes but did not relocate the data manually as I had above. Testing commenced. I had made it to the top of the Tower of Hera and jumped down two floors so I could access that dungeon's Big Chest. Once I made it back into the other part of the room, the pegswitch was gone. This is the same problem that I had been experiencing when using RT.exe for BCvsG. Sometimes I would enter a room and some of the enemies would be missing. Sometimes a pegswitch would be missing like in the situation here and it would simply be game over. There's no way around not being able to flip a pegswitch.

Anyone else experienced issues like this or know what may be causing this? From what I can tell the symptoms just appear to be sprites missing at random. Sometimes leaving the dungeon would help, sometimes not.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe Image213

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe Empty Re: Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe

Post by Mr.x Mon 22 May 2017 - 20:30

Well it sounds like the sprite pointers aren't being configured correctly. All the source code for the program is in one file, so I never bothered looking at it. Trying checking if the pointers are configured correctly. Puzzledude made a document about dungeon pointers so you can double check if it's done right. It's somewhere on this forum.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe Empty Re: Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe

Post by SunGodPortal Mon 22 May 2017 - 23:50

I'll look into it, but if the pointers were off would the correct sprites even show up in the first place? In some cases they are fine the first time I enter a room and then sometimes things are missing when I get back. I'm sure I've had times when they were missing from the start but that was months ago so I don't recall the details.

In this latest case I was able to beat two whole dungeons and make it almost to the end of the third before I encountered any problems. I almost have a sneaking suspicion that it's somehow related to dropping from one floor to another but I'm gonna have to do some more tests. As long as it took to show up it could be difficult to duplicate though. I do however know that it was a reoccurring and game-ending issue based on what I went through while testing Bruce Campbell vs Ganon a few months back.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 23 May 2017 - 3:07

I haven't had time to investigate the pointers yet (that's rather involved and will have to wait 'til tomorrow) but I did manage to replicate the situation by going to the top of the Tower of Hera in Puzzledude's Quest and then jumping down two floors as is required to get that dungeon's treasure.

When I jumped down from the top floor two sprites from the floor below were immediately missing. Then I proceeded to jump down to the next floor to get my prize and while some of the sprites were there, the pegswitch that was supposed to be there was not which then brought the game to a screeching hault.

Being that I was able to replicate this I'm guessing that it does in fact have something to do with jumping from one floor to the other. I believe it happened in Bruce Campbell when in the second dark world dungeon because it was there that I was also required to jump down a floor.

In the screenshot below there is supposed to be a pegswitch in the top right corner. I don't know if it's related or not but the moldorms in this room sometimes have defects like their tails not showing or showing in a different part of the room.

Sprite issues with Rom Transfer program RT.exe Puzzle10
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down