spike floor damage

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

spike floor damage - Page 2 Empty Re: spike floor damage

Post by Puzzledude Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 15:49

Puzzledude wrote:
Your code surely will bug, it is a main health substracting routine, when normal enemies hit you with boots on, you should be invulnerable as well.
You were correct. But it is not invulnarebility with Shoes, it is the opposite, it is one hit by enemies defeat you LoL.

So it bugs like you said. Basically with Shoes everything is normal, since indeed it is the old code if shoes, but with no shoes, not just spikes but also all enemies (and all health reduction) will defeat you completely with one hit.

I can still utilize the old code as a "Lucky Charm", basically you are "cursed"= ie one hit by anything will defeat you instantly (this is because of A9 00, which is then stored to health), unless you find this Charm, then your health goes "back to normal" reduction, since as you can see in the code: if shoes, it branches to the code, which is identical to original code.

But for Iron Shoes your code is needed.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

spike floor damage - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 16:18

Conn when you coded the lucky shield, were you able to find the damage properties for the spike block and cactus?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 16:48

wizzrobemaster wrote:Conn when you coded the lucky shield, were you able to find the damage properties for the spike block and cactus?  
Man... now he wants the cactus damage and a spike block damage too. Well trace this thing with Geiger then, as we did it for the spike floor.

The only thing I can recomend you though is to start with something which is not ASM related, like simple indoor design.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 16:55

I haven't traced it... and second puzzle. Really, I hardly have time for everything.
Conn
Conn

spike floor damage - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 16:57

So Geiger is vital to finding hex addresses easily?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 17:04

wizzrobemaster wrote:So Geiger is vital to finding hex addresses easily?
That's why it is called a tracer. You don't really find addresses, you trace the code while it is executed to see what is loading where, but you need some knowledge in advance, presumably the RAM map of the game or at least all cheat codes.

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 17:15

what else would i need to learn to make these discoveries?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 17:23

wizzrobemaster wrote:what else would i need to learn to make these discoveries?  
ASM and thus the Opcodes. Like said, this is not something you want to start with. This is very specific and also with the concordance with what can be defined as "coding" or "programing".
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 18:07

Where do I begin?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 18:17

wizzrobemaster wrote:Where do I begin?
In this order:
dungeon editing with HM (basics), then bg2 editing etc,
gfx editing sprites only,
advanced gfx editing in concordance with overworld and gfx sets,
overworld editing,
hex editing, pointer calculations
ASM, tracing, Opcodes.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 18:41

Would the compendium help or are there notes that must be used? I never realized that over world editing is a lot more advanced. I have edited entrances and changed some tile sets before (you can see the changes I made in the hack I posted and even other test roms). One thing I do with HM is that I always have a test rom where it is used to try out new ideas to see if I can apply them to my hack. when you listed dungeon editing, why is Bg3 excluded? is that only for doors usually?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 20:59

I started with hex editing first, then asm, then HM (while I am still not advanced in HM).
You saw some code examples of ASM. If you liked it, are mathematically talented, like to solve puzzles and develop an addiction to hex, go for it.
If you didn't like it, have a F-mark in math, hate Sudoku and such stuff, and hex numbers look weird for you... let go!
Conn
Conn

spike floor damage - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 21:52

Conn wrote:I started with hex editing first, then asm, then HM (while I am still not advanced in HM).
You saw some code examples of ASM. If you liked it, are mathematically talented, like to solve puzzles and develop an addiction to hex, go for it.
If you didn't like it, have a F-mark in math, hate Sudoku and such stuff, and hex numbers look weird for you... let go!

My math skills are fine when I put enough effort into it.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 28 Dec 2017 - 6:51

Would the compendium help or are there notes that must be used?
The compendium pretty much has all the info needed.

when you listed dungeon editing, why is Bg3 excluded?
Because bg3 goes over bg1 and is thus just another layer on bg1. Despite the fact there are 3 layers, there can only be 2 "floors" in on room in HM: upper part and lower part. The rooms with lower part and thus indoor bridges are more complex to edit.

I started with hex editing first, then asm, then HM (while I am still not advanced in HM).
Special case, since the majority will find HM easier than coding, but this is why coders are so rare and importaint for Z3 modding.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Thu 28 Dec 2017 - 18:42

When it comes to building bridges indoor, I use other rooms as a reference to see if I can replicate the design. I managed to make a moving floor in the mini-dungeon I made.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2