Why does room 45 crash the game?

Go down

Why does room 45 crash the game? Empty Why does room 45 crash the game?

Post by Devan2002 Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 19:42

HM shows it having nothing in the room, so it confuses me why it glitches and crashes the game (at least it's possible to rewind out of it).
Devan2002
Devan2002

Why does room 45 crash the game? Image213

Since : 2017-10-30

Back to top Go down

Why does room 45 crash the game? Empty Re: Why does room 45 crash the game?

Post by Puzzledude Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 9:51

Devan2002 wrote:Why does room 45 crash the game? HM shows it having nothing in the room, so it confuses me why it glitches and crashes the game (at least it's possible to rewind out of it).

Because room 45 is a header-twin of room 46. And room 46 has a room-header Tag-1: NE Kill enemy for chest, so if you defeat all enemies in the north-eastern quadrant of the room 46 it will spawn a chest.

But since the room 45 is empty and has no enemies and no chests, the enemies are already defeated, so if you stand in room 45 in the north-eastern quadrant there are no enemies (this counts as defeated), now because of Tag-1, the chest must be spawned in room 45. But since there are no chests in this room, the game doesn't know what to do and crashes. And it will always crash if you tell it to spawn a chest and then put no chest in the room.

There is a solution to this crash: insert a chest in room 45, but for this one other chest in some other room must be removed, since there is a chest limit in the entire game if using HM.

Other solution is also to expand the room-header to "unlimited" ie full use. And then "header de-twin" rooms 45 and 46 (there were twinned due to saving space). Now that room 45 no longer has the same properties (header) as room 46, you simply put Tag-1 to Nothing in room 45.

Third solution is a pragmatic one. Do not header-detwin rooms 45 and 46 (thus keep space to minimum) and then change the Tag-1 to Nothing (in any of the rooms and then when asked that the header is shared change this one only? You say No, thus change both rooms at once). Now there will be no tag defeat enemies for chest. The crash is gone from room 45 and in the room 46 you don't have to defeat the Penguins for chest, since the chest will always be there.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnesthesia Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 19:54

Devan2002, you may find the LttP Room Header Expander helpful, it's here http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php?topic=2077.0

Also if you have the Zelda 3 Compendium, make sure to read the Dungeons section if you haven't already. It explains the room header settings and what they do, and some of the quirks/limitations of HM that commonly screw things up.

(I can't overstate the usefulness of the Compendium. I'm a beginner and spent 2 hours today trying to place one freaking exit without the game crashing. The solution was in there the whole time Confused )
Nocturnesthesia
Nocturnesthesia
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2018-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 20:50

RHE is actually an old tool. The more advanced one is RT (room transfer), but in both cases you are basically making the rom incompatible with Hyrule Magic, so this is meant for advanced hacking and the programs are both DOS based.

You best choice is to use HM with the tag (New) in the file name thus HM (New). This has an additional option in the Menu "move headers". If you choose this, you will have the header data moved from 27502 in hex to a new location, usually you expand the rom to 2MB and then choose 120000. Now you will have unlimited room-header while the rom can be edited with HM (New).

Then you can freely header-detwin all rooms or any room, while having maximum possibilities in any room, up to Staircase-4. Max is 14 bytes for one room. The original game has much to less space for this to fit, since 295 rooms x14 bytes is 4130 bytes.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturnesthesia Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 21:57

Thanks for the tip Smile
Nocturnesthesia
Nocturnesthesia
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2018-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Devan2002 Thu 26 Apr 2018 - 17:15

Does room 45 crash work the same way in the GBA port (just with a different result)?
Devan2002
Devan2002

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Fri 27 Apr 2018 - 4:23

Devan2002 wrote:Does room 45 crash work the same way in the GBA port (just with a different result)?

the gba port's coding is not really documented, but i would not be surprised if there are similar situations.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Devan2002 Fri 27 Apr 2018 - 19:05

wizzrobemaster wrote:
Devan2002 wrote:Does room 45 crash work the same way in the GBA port (just with a different result)?

the gba port's coding is not really documented, but i would not be surprised if there are similar situations.  
And as far as I know, there is no real romhacking tool for the GBA port of ALttP, considering the other game included in it. It seems too complicated for romhacking that game due to some mechanics and the fact it's a GBA game.
Devan2002
Devan2002

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 28 Apr 2018 - 10:46

Devan2002 wrote:
wizzrobemaster wrote:

And as far as I know, there is no real romhacking tool for the GBA port of ALttP, considering the other game included in it. It seems too complicated for romhacking that game due to some mechanics and the fact it's a GBA game.

GBA coding is more complicated indeed. Besides, the port also has Four Swords included.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Devan2002 Sat 28 Apr 2018 - 13:47

wizzrobemaster wrote:
Besides, the port also has Four Swords included.  
Yeah, I already mentioned that game being part of it, unless you're also counting the extra dungeon rule that you need to play the other game to even explore there.
Devan2002
Devan2002

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sun 29 Apr 2018 - 2:03

That itself should not be difficult to replicate. the issues are the bosses, which will require some complex asm.  

puzz, how many bytes is the average boss sprite? I am not asking for new boss designs, but I was informed the cane of somaria block is about 100 so I presume the bosses are a lot more.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down