YS V msu

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

YS V msu - Page 3 Empty Re: YS V msu

Post by edale Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 5:46

That address I gave is accurately listing every track's ID...

You may need to set a breakpoint to map the track IDs initially, but once you have a few track IDs it's a simple matter to use the cheat search function on an unmodded ROM to locate the RAM address the currently playing track is located at. Then you just set a watch on that RAM address, and you have a little display on-screen at all times telling you the currently playing track's ID.

Oddly enough, you have to search by the decimal, not the hex, for the track ID's... That might be something from Snes9x's cheat search though, rather than in the RAM.

edale

YS V msu - Page 3 Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Fri 8 Jun 2018 - 23:21

And just came across the first of the unmapped tracks.

Scheme the Madness I maps to track 94 (5E).

*edit- Track 92 is an SFX that wasn't mapped, and track 88 (aka unused track) is actually used immediately after track 92 when the crystals are activated by dorman.

Track 88 (58) needs to be marked as non-looping in the ASM, ATM it loops when it's not supposed to.

Oddly tracks 86 and 92 don't seem to loop, despite being listed as looping on the table, which is fine, because they're not supposed to loop, but still odd. Maybe they have a fadeout at the end... I'd actually recommend keeping them as looping on the tables, since they work as intended in-game.

And it looks like I can't use the sandstorm SFX I made, since it's called at another location nowhere near water... (entering felte town after the crystals are used)... Maybe the 2 calls to it can be separated?

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 10 Jun 2018 - 4:52

The Crumbling SFX on track 120 plays immediately before the unmapped track Vanishing World, which also maps to 120.

Does Vanishing World need to get remapped, or is the SFX actually an intro to Vanishing World? Needs to be tracked in the debugger to see if there's actually a separate track call when Vanishing World Starts (meaning it needs remapping), or if both are handled by the same music call (in which case I need to combine the PCMs).

The tracks in the ending must use a different playing routine than the rest of the songs, because the address I've been watching that has accurately shown the playing track throughout the entire game suddenly can't tell when a track is changing. Seagull SFX, Theme of Adol, and Farewell (which is mapped to 17!) all show as track 114 on that address...

Last edited by edale on Sun 10 Jun 2018 - 6:08; edited 1 time in total

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 10 Jun 2018 - 5:47

If I remember correctly it is 2 separate tracks. You need to trace with sta $2004 (write). If you get two breakpoints (one for the crumbling sfx and one for the music theme later) there a two where one needs to be re-mapped I think. I do not have a savestate from there left, so this is only speculationl. I hope PeV is able to continue his playthrough soon to map all tracks Wink
Conn
Conn

YS V msu - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 10 Jun 2018 - 6:17

Conn wrote:If I remember correctly it is 2 separate tracks. You need to trace with sta $2004 (write). If you get two breakpoints (one for the crumbling sfx and one for the music theme later) there a two where one needs to be re-mapped I think. I do not have a savestate from there left, so this is only speculationl. I hope PeV is able to continue his playthrough soon to map all tracks Wink
and the trace on $2004 is only on the MSU-1 modded ROM, not on an unmodded ROM, right?

And I have a save at the last savepoint, so I can just jump onto whichever emulator is needed and blast through the last 3 bosses to get a savestate right before the different track changes.

OK, I've finished the PCMs, the only thing I need to do is remake the sandstorm PCM, and keep trying to get a remake of Judgement Bells.

I'm going to need to do another full runthrough with the MSU mod and my PCMs to check everything, but I'm kinda at a standstill on what I can do before the rest of the tracks are mapped.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 10 Jun 2018 - 7:20

Right, only with the msu applied.
You'll get a breakpoint 2004 write log like this:

$9F/FC4D 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:FA80 X:0080 Y:0009 this was $12 (shared shop) I remapped it to $80
$9F/FC10 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:0008 X:0008 Y:0002
$9F/FC10 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:9B10 X:0010 Y:007E
$9F/FC10 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:000C X:000C Y:0001
$9F/FC10 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:0076 X:0076 Y:0000
$9F/FC10 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:0072 X:0072 Y:0002
$9F/FC4D 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:E111 X:0011 Y:0019 this is farwell $11, not shared
$9F/FC4D 8D 04 20 STA $2004 [$00:2004] A:E700 X:0000 Y:007E credit roll not mapped yet, shares with 00 got item
I built in a later version a security check in which is sensible to the tracks not catched by the normal 2004 write.
In above example you see it ($9F/FC10: normal, $9F/FC4D: security). The theme after crumble should be catched by security and must be re-mapped if another theme shares. This e.g., is happening at the credit roll where it shares 00 (got item).
PeV has the latest version of the hack (that one from the first post isn't up to date anymore (but still sufficient for this trace) but better wait for PeV to map 'em all.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 3:40

Is this setup right?
YS V msu - Page 3 Break
I only briefly have needed to work with breakpoints before...

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 3:53

Joy, first time using the MSU mod for more than a quick check... It got to the boss defeat theme for the 3rd to last boss... and it's endlessly looping the boss death SFX...

*edit- Renaming track 28 so it doesn't play let me get past the boss. Looks like in the IPS I have track 28 (1C) is set to loop, and I'm guessing the SFX is supposed to play until the end...

Looks like I'm really gonna need that updated IPS eventually.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 5:32

Crumbling SFX:
9ffc10 sta $2004     [002004] A:0078 X:0078 Y:0002 S:01f1 D:0200 DB:00 nvMXdizC V:237 H:220 F:57

Vanishing World:
9ffc4d sta $2004     [002004] A:fa80 X:0080 Y:004f S:01f3 D:0200 DB:00 NvMXdizC V:232 H:131 F:44

Hmmm... ok, looks like Vanishing World is track 128, not track 120. No conflict.

Theme of Adol:
9ffc4d sta $2004     [002004] A:e700 X:0000 Y:007e S:01f1 D:0200 DB:00 NvMXdizc V:230 H:170 F:42

Digest:
9ffc4d sta $2004     [002004] A:f408 X:0008 Y:00fe S:01f3 D:0200 DB:00 NvMXdIzc V:230 H:176 F:56
Looks like it shares its track with Foresta Village. This track plays if you stay on the title screen for a minute or so without hitting any buttons.

Needs to be remapped:
Theme of Adol (mapped at track 0 with item get jingle)
Digest (mapped at track 8 with foresta village)

Tracks remaining to be located in-game so they can be mapped:
Secret Experience

Tracks I've got mapped and working in-game:
Vanishing World
Scheme the Madness I
An SFX that wasn't on the tracklist

I just found out there's a time-attack mode, and how to unlock it, so I'm gonna see if the missing tracks are there.

Edit- found Digest.

Having trouble getting to the time attack mode.

Theoretically you beat the game, get to the "Fin" screen, then hold select and press left, right, right, left, up, down, up, down, followed by resetting the game.

This should make the Time Attack mode show up on the title screen next to start and continue.

*edit2- Ok, Time Attack mode is in Ys V Expert only, there's also a hidden dungeon. Just going by track titles I can see those 3 tracks being exclusive to those areas, which means they won't be in this game.

*edit3- Extra Room is the room you start the Time Attack mode in.
Catch the Record is the screen where your Time Attack record is displayed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mWcb59JQc

I'll need to find video of the hidden dungeon to see if The Secret Experience is the music for that area.

*edit4- can't find anything about the hidden dungeon. Safe to say that's the music for the area though.

So looks like all tracks have been mapped, 2 tracks need to be remapped, and the loop table needs to be updated, and then a final runthrough to make sure everything's working correctly.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Tue 12 Jun 2018 - 18:07

@edale, the link below is the ROM that is slightly newer than the one you been working with.

https://vsoc.ddns.net/index.php/s/PtLDEBfZBb3GzMz

Unfortunately, there is still more to go. I’m away from home until FRI or SAT. Enjoying my vacation. Good luck.

pev

YS V msu - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 12 Jun 2018 - 19:17

pepillopev wrote:@edale, the link below is the ROM that is slightly newer than the one you been working with.

[redacted link]

Unfortunately, there is still more to go. I’m away from home until FRI or SAT. Enjoying my vacation. Good luck.
I used that ROM to generate an IPS that I attached. You really should delete that link, pretty sure publicly sharing the ROM itself is against board rules.

I may be able to test a few small parts with that ROM (depending on how updated the loop table is), but at this point I'm really waiting on a patch with the loop table fully updated and those last 2 tracks remapped before I can do much more.

Are the single-line traces I posted for the tracks needing remapping sufficient to do that, or is more info needed to remap them?

Ideally, I'll already have all the info you need to finish the ASM ready for you when you get back, so you can just take a few minutes to plug the relevant info in and compile the new patch.

edale

Back to top Go down

YS V msu - Page 3 Empty YS V msu

Post by pev Tue 12 Jun 2018 - 19:35

@edale, the link should have expired by now (long enough for you to get it). I don’t post stuff for long. Only posted this way since I’m away from my PC. I just shuffled some stuff around with my phone.

This version has some of loop tables you mentioned set (Conn and I had been working on some behind the scenes). I think only those two you mentioned remain to be mapped. That I cannot do until FRI or SAT. It would help me immensely if you get a save state in Geiger or BsnesPlus where tracks change. Otherwise, I have to play there (would take me longer).

As for the loop table, if you look at the ASM and get the starting address, you can manually change them using a HEX editor. No need to wait on us.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 12 Jun 2018 - 20:35

@pepillopev
Savestate (slot 10) right before the change to Theme of Adol attached.

Savestate is for EmuCR-bsnes-plus-20180117-x64, which I'm pretty sure is Geiger.

For Digest, just wait on the title screen for a minute or so without hitting any buttons.

Last edited by edale on Tue 12 Jun 2018 - 21:24; edited 1 time in total

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Tue 12 Jun 2018 - 21:18

@edale, it’s not necessary to carbon copy my whole reply just to answer. My OCD is having to scroll all the way down just to read your response. Just copy what is relevant to the answer (not the whole thing). Please, you are driving me bonkers when you copy everything just to reply. A simple @pepillopev will suffice for me.

The OCD must be satisfied, Smile

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 12 Jun 2018 - 21:26

pepillopev wrote:The OCD must be satisfied, Smile
Hey! that's MY schtick! Mad

Very Happy

*edit- and I'd say that's more a pet peeve than OCD. Just Saiyan.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 13 Jun 2018 - 3:54

Theme of adol is that one that is played during the credits scroll, right? I found this conflict as well and just hope there is no triple share Wink
Let's have pev enjoy his deserved vacation, I'm sure he finishes things up when back Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Wed 13 Jun 2018 - 5:36

Conn wrote:Theme of adol is that one that is played during the credits scroll, right? I found this conflict as well and just hope there is no triple share Wink
Let's have pev enjoy his deserved vacation, I'm sure he finishes things up when back Very Happy
Yea, Theme of Adol is the song playing during the credit scroll.

And I'm fine with pepillopev enjoying his vacation, I'm just taking care of as much as I can while he's gone.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 13 Jun 2018 - 18:55

@edale, Here is the latest IPS patch and ASM for Ys V (re-mapped Digest and ThemeOfAdol). Tested it out and let me know how it turns out. Briefly tested Digest (it played). Followed your suggestions from the GoogleDoc for the loop table as well (not sure if I got all of them, let me know what I missed). I updated the GoogleDoc too (let me know if everything is good there too). Take care.

Ys V IPS/ASM (date June 13, 2018) <- link expires June 30th

Ys V GoogleDoc (date June 13, 2018)

Yes, I am back home. Michigan was very nice.

Last edited by pepillopev on Thu 14 Jun 2018 - 9:38; edited 1 time in total

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Wed 13 Jun 2018 - 22:00

you changed misty lake not raining from 130 to 131 in the googledocs, I changed it back. (not sure how or why that got changed)

I also changed Digest from 130 to 131 on the googledocs. It works in-game on 131.

I also added a link to the PCM for track 92 (the SFX I found), it's one of the SFX from when dorman (whatever his name is) tries to activate the crystals, iirc.
----

Something to work on when you get back (seriously, actually wait to get back from your vacation this time, lol Razz ):

Track 104 (Ominous FX sound)... The teleporter sfx during the trial of judgement... Something strange is going on that you're going to need to trace most likely. It SHOULD play once (when the thing 'scans' you), stop, wait an indeterminate amount of time (you have to advance text), then play it again (when it tries to teleport you).

Because of the need to manually advance text, SOMETHING has to be triggering when to start the second playback on the SPC, it can't be timed.

When set to loop, it loops the PCM repeatedly. When set to not loop, it plays the first time, but doesn't play for the second one (there's no breakpoint triggered for the second time it's supposed to play).

Oh, and it's not just a fade-in fade-out of a constantly playing effect either, the waveforms for both playbacks from the SPC are identical.

In an ideal world, we'd have a soft-mute, and I could just drop the PCM for this track, but alas...

Somehow I knew this track was going to be trouble....

Only thing I can think of offhand is that it IS sending a call to play it again, but because the track ID is the same as the previous one your script isn't picking it up.

Geiger savestate attached, #10 again, just step on the teleporter.
----

Other than that track, offhand I'd say most/all of the other problems I'm going to find (short of maybe something to change on the loop table) are going to be PCM edits to time things better, rather than coding problems, but I'll post any I find.

After the playthrough I'm about to start I should be ready to release the PCM pack.... Though I actually found someone willing to remaster Judgement Bells for me, and I don't know when he's going to finish that.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 13 Jun 2018 - 23:58

@Conn, So far from reviewing your Ys V code. It is the prevent the double playback code (where you write the track value to $7E/0102 from two different areas in the ASM), that is not allowing track 68 to play a 2nd time.

I temporarily disabled the double playback protection to verify this. I did attempt a CMP #$68 to skip the STA $7E0102 in both locations and this worked too but affected the msu playback of the track that follows (still trying to figure out how your code flows to fix the introduced bug by skipping the $7E0102 writes).

The YouTube video link below will give you an idea of how Track 68 plays twice. Track 68 is a scanning sound fx (what I called the ominous fx sound in the GoogleDocs spreadsheet).

YouTube playing track 68. Reference the 35:42 mark

Link to ASM (does not include the CMP #$68, but it is latest with the last two remaps)

P.S.: You can use edale's bSnes savestate (the one labeled ys5_msu-10.zip) to be at the part of the game.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 14 Jun 2018 - 5:53

That was an easy fix, added these two lines for exception when theme 68 (the prevent double play was indeed the reason).

CMP #$68
BEQ $06   ; allow double play for theme 68

I temporarily disabled the double playback protection to verify this. I did attempt a CMP #$68 to skip the STA $7E0102 in both locations and this worked too but affected the msu playback of the track that follows (still trying to figure out how your code flows to fix the introduced bug by skipping the $7E0102 writes).
I think the problem you ran into was that you wrote it also to the security check. Both play commands are catched by the first check.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 14 Jun 2018 - 9:14

@Conn, Thanks, my Friend. I knew it was something simple. I’m glad that you sorted it out. I’m still learning how to follow your code (you do some epic stuff and sometimes it’s difficult to follow your code). I’m getting there, albeit slowly.

Last edited by pepillopev on Thu 14 Jun 2018 - 9:40; edited 1 time in total

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 14 Jun 2018 - 9:37

@edale, Ok, The latest IPS and ASM link is below containing Conn's latest fix for track 68 not playing a second time. Hopefully, we all can close this MSU project soon. Happy Gaming, edale.

Ys V IPS/ASM (date June 14, 2018) <- link expires June 30th

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Thu 14 Jun 2018 - 17:29

@Conn @pepillopev That part works perfectly now!

Using the new IPS to do my runthrough, hopefully that'll be the last needed ASM edit.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Thu 14 Jun 2018 - 18:40

Loops needing to be corrected in the ASM (I'll update this as I find them):

Digest ($83) -> set to non-looping
Odds and Ends ($70) -> set to non-looping

pepillopev wrote:As for the loop table, if you look at the ASM and get the starting address, you can manually change them using a HEX editor. No need to wait on us.
I checked the ASM, got a starting address of $9FFE00, so to change DIgest's loop should be $9FFE83... But when I load the ROM in a hex editor, the file ends at 2FFFFF... I think I'm missing something

edale

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum