Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch)

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 Empty Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch)

Patch* and sound/data files:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah8ksmUOX0QQiR-hlWgB-wczn08C
*Apply on headerless US 1.1 ROM

Light patch (only music for SD2SNES)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sOpDIBma5u_Khazl2hR7HULS5mfZaDWV

MSU-1 IS NOT ONLY FOR PLAYING PCM MUSIC.

You can stream graphics, fmv, sound, sprites. Ignore all previous patches. Released 28/10, as the arcade Killer Instinct release date.
gizaha

Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 Image111

Since : 2015-05-13

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) :: Comments

Post Sat 16 Jan 2021 - 7:15 by gizaha

I'm gonna respond to you. I have no idea who Maximilian Dood is. There aren't lies, there are inaccuracies. If there is anything worse than not knowing something, it is to think that you know it. Since we talk at theoritical level, snes is capable for (some) cps2 games. But it will have black bars in order to have huge sprites, 15 sprite colors (not noticable) and smaller resolution.
SFA2 Facts:
1) You can use SA-1 and 8MB rom and it would be fine.
2) S-DD1 is wonderful (since i read how it worked). A tweaked rom would run at the speed of the arcade.
3) I was acusing capcom for snes sfa2 programming, that was cheap high level and it's very very wasteful (tons of subroutines and pushes/pulls). However i respect that they convert 68k to 65c816 (saw arcade code, compare it with snes). It's wasteful, but they port the game faster and cheaper.

Don't bring any youtuber here. A person that public shows his face at any camera, thinks that he's important.

Sorry for my bad English.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 16 Jan 2021 - 11:45 by Señor Ventura

In fact, objectively that SFA2 still has room to improve scenaries, music, sounf effects, and animations.

I think SFA2 doesn't need the SA-1 at all to achieve these things.

Games like speed racer or nba give'n go, instead, could get a good boost of performance with that enhancement chip.

...or the second boss of axelay...

Maybe your killer instinct could benefit of the SA-1 for dozens and dozens of particles...

And talking about the killer instinct, What is the actual state of your projec?, Any new ideas?, What objectives do you have right now with it?.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 16 Jan 2021 - 13:25 by gizaha

SFA2 with SA1 would run 60fps all the time. You will have no lag frames and perform combos easier (Try Retroarch, SNES9x core, reduce slowdown option to see the result).

I cannot easily put SA1 to KI because it's hirom and to convert to lorom it's a nightmare. I can reduce the number of particles, but i don't want the easy solution so i tweak the code in places.
I'm almost out of new ideas, i put all missing codes. I want to make some graphical changes to backgrounds, but superfamiconv have bugs and programmers doesn't fix them.
A future distant idea, is to make the sound engine stream 2 sounds at once.
Personally i prefer porting missing codes from arcade and then tweak them, it's more entertaining.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 16 Jan 2021 - 17:33 by Conn

I don't want to hijack this KI thread further, but since it is alrwady about SFA2 and lags... Smile (I am open to suggestions to open a new technical thread about slowdown discussions).

Regarding bszelda I was in personal contact with gizaha (which already is fastrom/hirom), to (at least partly) include SA1... but we had to give up at one point. It is horrible.

So, unfortunately fastrom and SA1 are to date the only options to avoid slowdowns on the rom side.
Another option was to handle it from the emulator side, like overclocking the cpu. As far I know libreto has it, also zsnes had this option
zsnesw.cfg
Open this file and change "execute = 100" to "execute = 150"
but I didn't find this option in snes9x and bsnes unfortunately (only for SFX games). Also I heard that there are further problems like cpu and ppu aren't synced anymore then and thus lead to graphical glitches. I think this is the reason why the overclock in snes9x/bsnes isn't implemented.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 17 Jan 2021 - 6:34 by Conn

Just an update, I found the overclock setting in bsnes 115: Settings -> enhancements... CPU overclocking.

Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 Image117

I gave it the value 174% and no more lags (esp. this centipede was worst) Very Happy

Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 Fourth10

Also msu1 is still synced and I experienced only one problem: if I adjust this overclock before booting, the game will crash, so you need to load the rom, wait until it booted and then adjust the speed to 174%.

Unfortunately I couldn't find this adjustment in snes9x, I requested this feature, cross fingers:
https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/issues/687
snes9x libretto core (retroarch) however has this option as far I heard. bsnes plus hasn't it. I also don't think sd2snes has it (anybody knows?), and I doubt it can implement it since this is real hardware, and unlike an emulator real hardware should not be able to run faster than the chip... but maybe Ikari knows more.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 17 Jan 2021 - 7:03 by 90s comeback

In my opinion, and it's just that, i think the Snes can run SFA2 arcade perfect or almost in 256x224, the characters' pallettes also have 15 colours in the arcade version, not only that, recentely i've seen a sega genesis tech demo of SFA2, with no black bars and looking practicaly the same as the arcade, i know it's only a tech demo of how it could look but very impresive as well, the video is called "teste rom street fighter alpha megadrive", and there are other tech demos. As for the fps, everything is improvable.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 17 Jan 2021 - 12:29 by gizaha

*Closed comments, fake alert
*It's filmed at crt, it may have black bars but have the picture stretched to hide them.
*No BG animation. SNES can handle the huge sprites, but i'm not sure together with the bg animation. Theoretically it can have both if dma 1 player at the time (nobody will notice).

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 17 Jan 2021 - 18:32 by Señor Ventura

gizaha wrote:*Closed comments, fake alert
*It's filmed at crt, it may have black bars but have the picture stretched to hide them.
*No BG animation. SNES can handle the huge sprites, but i'm not sure together with the bg animation. Theoretically it can have both if dma 1 player at the time (nobody will notice).

Maybe with less frames for backgrounds... every 16 frames, or something like this, How performs the arcade version?.

Maybe with the small sprites it could handle background animations. The great thing could be to deal this with a single plane in mode 7, and do scaling...

Too much i think.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 18 Jan 2021 - 7:28 by 90s comeback

What i wanted to point is, if the sega genesis could have a very decent demo (in a way), i obviously expect the Snes to do a whole lot better. i've been watching these guys' projects for a while and i can tell you they do pretty amazing stuff for the Sega genesis (with their obvious limitations), as far as i've seen, they do not have black bars in their tech demos, it's true that they might be limited in some way (backgrounds, BG sprites, etc), but!, at first glance you think you are looking at the arcade. Noticing that in the 90s arcade ports only had 8/16/24/32megs (SFF2 for genesis had 40), and looking nowadays games like Paprium (genesis) which has 80megs (no black bars, big sprites, background animations, no flickering, etc), i can only imagine what it could've been done for arcade ports if they had 80megs or more, even when you see arcade games that have only 50/60megs, it's all about memory after all. By the way, every single one of these hacks are made in Brazil, it's like they have a really big culture of this. These hacks (for Snes/genesis) they often have more than 50/60/70megs, won't work on many emulators but they do work on original consoles. Common sense tells me you can have a way better product than we've got.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 18 Jan 2021 - 7:53 by 90s comeback

One more thing that really amazes me, those hacks are on cartridge, no everdrives or anything like that. Like Paprium. Sega genesis hackers even have programs for creating games, that's why there are lots of these kind of demos for that console, something that we Snes fans lack to this day, the day we have some programs like those for genesis things will be way too different, and better.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Jan 2021 - 19:39 by golpebaixo

gizaha wrote:(for sf2) It has quite "arcade version" sprite size already. You only need to add backwards walk frames. The sprite size is correct, comparing to visible screen. If you plan to remove the black bars, better forget it. It's achievable but you open pandora's box.

Also, for all these that thinking "adding bigger sprites" because they look better, think the above:
*You need to write program to extract all frames from arcade.
*You need to resize ALL frames from arcade, in order for snes to has correct ratio.
*You need to write program to convert arcade sprites to snes sprite and especially snes sf2 engine (metasprites, header etc).
*You need to fully understand the game's engine, in order to write code to read sprites from msu when available.
*You need to edit all hitboxes, one by one by hand, since ryu's punch will be higher than smaller sprite's.
*If you add missing frames, you need to edit all movesets one by one by hand, in order to enable animation frames 1,2,3,4,5. Otherwise moveset will keep telling the engine to use frames 1,3,5.
*Tables would not be always arcade perfect, so it's not such easy to copy the tables from arcade. Also you will have trouble with translate arcade pointer addresses.
*Even when you achieve all the above, it will not have such a difference, i believe it will not make serious noise.
Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 Out11

Yep. You can't get the exact same quality on the SNES.
The horizontal resolution on the CPS arcade is quite larger and both versions were designed to be used with CRT screens.
The arcade image is a wide rectangle and gets squished (seemingly getting more detailed).
The SNES image is almost square and gets a little stretched (seemingly losing details).
Therefore an arcade-perfect conversion is 100% impossible.
So all the sprites were redrawn for the SNES. They could never be simply scaled down without getting ruined in the process.

When you look at the raw images, they are very different:
Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 KDAvYvQKiller Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 In6sMmn

But looking at how they're displayed on a CRT, you see that the artists did an excelent job.
Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 D08ngMhKiller Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 55Bdu6h

and if you scale the SNES image up you see it's a near perfect match
Killer Instinct (Arcade Mega Patch) - Page 9 5n07OyY

90s comeback wrote:By the way, looks like Maximilian Dood made a video "testing" Gizaha's contribution to Street Fighter Alpha 2 for Snes, properly giving credit to Gizaha for his discoveries. But the point is, then he started mocking at the Super Nintendo saying that the console wasn't ready for SFA2 (graphics, sounds/music,, gameplay) in any way and it shouldn't have existed for Snes, the thing is, here we all know that the Snes is perfectly capable of having CPS2 games (arcade perfect or almost), but when you have someone so popular saying these kind of "things", many people start to think those lies as well. I'm really fed up of these people who don't know anything at all and don't even care, i'm sorry but these kind of "funny videos" get on my nerves. It's not my intention to pressure Gizaha to respond or to do something about it,  but i think if Maximilian Dood  would take a look at this  forum he could learn a lot from it.
Maximilian is annoying but he's not exactly wrong. You see these MSU hacks today and may argue that the functionality is there in the hardware but these things were really not viable back then unless you wanted the carts to be as expensive as NEO GEO games.

Last edited by golpebaixo on Tue 19 Jan 2021 - 22:50; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Jan 2021 - 19:45 by gizaha

All of you are right. But this is thread for Killer Instinct.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 19 Jan 2021 - 20:06 by golpebaixo

gizaha wrote:All of you are right. But this is thread for Killer Instinct.
Ah yeah. Then I have a question about Killer Instinct too.
Why did you restore some glitched combos from the arcade (and SNES beta)?
The SNES game was also made by Rare so they were taken out intentionally to improve the game's quality.

Also, is there any way we can help with the frame restoration process?
I mean grunt work like resizing frames from the arcade and making them match a reduced color palette.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 20 Jan 2021 - 6:40 by niuus

gizaha wrote:
A future distant idea, is to make the sound engine stream 2 sounds at once.
Personally i prefer porting missing codes from arcade and then tweak them, it's more entertaining.
Thanks for your hard work. This hack and the SFA 2 are a gift to SNES users.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 20 Jan 2021 - 11:53 by gizaha

golpebaixo wrote:
The SNES game was also made by Rare so they were taken out intentionally to improve the game's quality.
I have the same opinion, I respect it.
However they don't look so broken. First time i saw them at arcade thought that was normal.

golpebaixo wrote:
Why did you restore some glitched combos from the arcade (and SNES beta)?
1) To showcase that runs the same code as arcade.
2) Most players that loved long KI combos, are refered to the original arcade impressive glitched combos.
3) In this forum they insist to keep them on because they like them.
4) It isn't catastrophic, nor far away from the original direction. I can close them with a few clicks.

I'm thinking to keep default the "fixed" snes version, and enable arcade "glitched" combos by holding some keys before fight.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 20 Jan 2021 - 12:02 by WWammy

Or you could put it as an option in the option's menu as Arcade mode or original I sae something similar for fm music in the Master System Phantasy star 2.01 Translation patch/hack

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 6:17 by thegreatzubari

I am having a weird experience with this.
The normal patch works on the SD2SNES but some graphics seem a bit choppy(but playable)
The SD2SNES(for less powerful devices) version downloaded from the YouTube link does not go past the intro screen!

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 8:06 by gizaha

thegreatzubari wrote:
The normal patch works on the SD2SNES
There is no normal patch. it's only one patch, the one with the frames fmv etc.

thegreatzubari wrote:
but some graphics seem a bit choppy
You probably refer to the sd2snes bug, we wait for firmware update from ikari.

thegreatzubari wrote:The SD2SNES(for less powerful devices) version
Didn't know what do you mean

thegreatzubari wrote:downloaded from the YouTube link
Didn't understand which youtube link.

3 errors in 4 sentences my friend.

I've released a new sfa2 patch for anyone interested. It's at the sfa2 thread.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 9:15 by thegreatzubari

gizaha wrote:
thegreatzubari wrote:
The normal patch works on the SD2SNES
There is no normal patch. it's only one patch, the one with the frames fmv etc.

thegreatzubari wrote:
but some graphics seem a bit choppy
You probably refer to the sd2snes bug, we wait for firmware update from ikari.

thegreatzubari wrote:The SD2SNES(for less powerful devices) version
Didn't know what do you mean

thegreatzubari wrote:downloaded from the YouTube link
Didn't understand which youtube link.

3 errors in 4 sentences my friend.

I've released a new sfa2 patch for anyone interested. It's at the sfa2 thread.

Sorry for my vagueness.

I downloaded the patch directly from this site. Applied it and it worked (the fmv, sprites, music) but it was choppy and some sprites glitch (as you said Sd2snes bug awaiting a firmware update).
I then found a YouTube link with the 30/12/2020 build and it had a "SD2SNES" version in the description.
This is the link

Edit:
Link removed, contained rom

That version just hangs up and is even worse when it comes to the opening fmv. Couldn't start the game.

First of all I want to say that this mod is EXCELLENT and I am having a lot of fun with it😁👌

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 9:38 by Conn

Ok, sorry but I get a small rant.

1st: we talked in this forum I think a dozens times already, that we need the lite patch to be able to use sd2snes, since the firmware is still buggy. Last time on Sat 9 Jan 2021 (just read page 8 and before).
The firmware hopefully gets updated soon (you are free to pester Ikari).

2nd: and this is severe, we DO NOT TOLERATE LINKS THAT CONTAIN ROMS, like your youtube link did (also not if it is indirectly posted in the description). Roms are illegal and can lead to a sue and finally the suspension of this forum.

I know you are new and sorry being harsh, but it is well known that roms are illegal.

@gizaha thanks for your SFA2 update Smile

Last edited by Conn on Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 10:02; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 9:49 by Relikk

thegreatzubari wrote:I then found a YouTube link with the 30/12/2020 build and it had a "SD2SNES" version in the description.

I wouldn't advise acquiring MSU1 patch updates from YouTube videos or things like Smokemonster packs. They are usually way out of date with regard to fixes and audio updates, and are sometimes people re-hosting and trying to make money off of other peoples work. Always come here first because 9 out of 10 MSU1 patches originated here with people like Conn, Pev, kurrono, gizaha, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 10:28 by thegreatzubari

Conn wrote:Ok, sorry but I get a small rant.

1st: we talked in this forum I think a dozens times already, that we need the lite patch to be able to use sd2snes, since the firmware is still buggy. Last time on Sat 9 Jan 2021 (just read page 8 and before).
The firmware hopefully gets updated soon (you are free to pester Ikari).

2nd: and this is severe, we DO NOT TOLERATE LINKS THAT CONTAIN ROMS, like your youtube link did (also not if it is indirectly posted in the description). Roms are illegal and can lead to a sue and finally the suspension of this forum.

I know you are new and sorry being harsh, but it is well known that roms are illegal.

@gizaha thanks for your SFA2 update Smile

Oh apologies
I did not realize that! Won't happen again
Although it seems that It was an unofficial source, I came to Zeldix first and tried then tried to see SD2SNES compatibility on YouTube.

Thank you for the heads up!

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 23 Jan 2021 - 11:38 by thegreatzubari

Relikk wrote:
thegreatzubari wrote:I then found a YouTube link with the 30/12/2020 build and it had a "SD2SNES" version in the description.

I wouldn't advise acquiring MSU1 patch updates from YouTube videos or things like Smokemonster packs. They are usually way out of date with regard to fixes and audio updates, and are sometimes people re-hosting and trying to make money off of other peoples work. Always come here first because 9 out of 10 MSU1 patches originated here with people like Conn, Pev, kurrono, gizaha, etc.

My apologies, you are correct
So far I've gotten all the sweet MSU-1 packs right here.
Keep up the GREAT work! it's awesome!

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 24 Jan 2021 - 7:13 by niuus

Wow, i can't believe i missed the last update from December 31! Confused. Downloading right now.

@gizaha, curious to know if you would be interested in adding Eyedol to the character selection at any point in the future?

Thanks for adding battery backup, it is great to hold the combo scores. Does it save only when finishing the game, though? Last time i played i lost on the 5th round, loaded the game today and the score/combo wasn't there.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 24 Jan 2021 - 10:30 by gizaha

@gizaha, if you would be interested in adding Eyedol to the character selection
Not at any cost due to respect. It's not at the arcade, it makes the game looks like bootleg or Mugen (no difference between these two) and it's against the original direction. I'm against of adding personal touches (i think the only exeption is the fade in the heartbeat).

Thanks for adding battery backup, it is great to hold the combo scores. Does it save only when finishing the game, though?
I put them because the arcade had them so. It save every time at the winner screen, if a "xxx qualify" is shown. It might have bug. Any other user confirm this?

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next