Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Empty Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy

Post by Conn Tue 24 Dec 2019 - 18:06

Last edited by Conn on Thu 23 Jul 2020 - 3:59; edited 7 times in total
Conn
Conn

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Empty Re: Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy

Post by Polargames Tue 24 Dec 2019 - 19:59

@Conn, I can not seem to get it working at all. All that shows is the super gb skin in bsnes and a white R on the screen. Thats it. I made sure and double checked the instructions and still got the same thing. I have the newest bsnes. I tried 2 times.
Polargames
Polargames

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Empty Re: Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy

Post by Conn Tue 24 Dec 2019 - 21:01

Probably you get this message:
Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Image238

Click either NO here or remove ffa_bios.ips from your folder. If the patch file is inside this folder and I click yes, I also only get this white R.

I renamed the sgb patch file to ffa_bios_msu1.ips in the archieve, so this will never happen again.

I hope we find wonderful remixed Very Happy

This game may get one of the best msu1 packs ever, the music is fantastic!
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 3:35

Conn wrote:

I hope we find wonderful remixed Very Happy
https://youtu.be/nqAs37x1ZcU

This game may get one of the best msu1 packs ever, the music is fantastic!

The mana series has really good music that is re-used a lot in future titles so you will find good stuff. Like i know the ps2 entry Dawn of Mana has at least 3 songs that are re- used, like this one

Also, the more these songs are used in other titles the higher the likeliness of finding more remixes. Also Sword of Mana is an inspired remake like how Metroid zero mission was, so looking for sword of mana remixes would work for this game too. I think we will find a great album
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 4:00

I knew final fantasy adventure was first in the mana series, but until today i didn't realize sword of mana was a remake of the game. I have not played adventure before but i absolute loved sword of mana when i played it the first time about 3 years ago. I actually want to do this PCM set. Do you have a preference Conn if i do PCM tracks for this game or mystic quest first? I was thinking of doing this game first, then mystic quest, but cool with whatever.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 4:08

Oh wow, i just learned that final fantasy adventure has two different remakes. Sword of Mana for gba inspired remake where the game is changed to feel more like the following games of the mana series while 2016 Adventures of Mana is a true original remake like the recent Links Awakening is. Having Adventure of Mana soundtrack will guarantee that i will have something to use for every track, though i am going to try to find better orchestra arrangements first. This will be a good back up plan if one of the tracks is hard to find. This is going to be a good full album.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDJoQvN7sex4bvqLe0HU4Ml5r9OUvzEX7
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 5:57

*lol, these RPG:s... we have now 3 Final Fantasies in the dev Very Happy

I leave it up to you J whether you want to start with MQ or FFA Wink
Luckily they are each not 70 themes like FF5 but only 30 themes. I also hope we will have no bad surprises in form of bugs, but I tested most critical places and it works smotthly. Also, FFA cannot have spc fallback, so every theme needs a PCM substitute.

One thing I wonder about is the lost life jingle, it does not play in the original version by dying (so also not in the msu version). Maybe it is used at other, special locations.

As for the patch itself, it may be revised if qwerty finds out about data_snd. You cannot transfer data from the gb ram just like that to snes ram, so I made a trick and smuggled it via the vram transfer. As result you see for a fraction of a second the track in the bottom-right corner as graphic glitch:

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Image241

I think however this is bearable.
Also devinacker will fix the volume mixing, so we can play it also with the upcoming bsnes plus version. Snes9x most likely will never support it, sd2snes also not I think Sad

Last edited by Conn on Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 18:52; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 6:37

So retropie does a version of snes9x, is that right? So it wont ever run on that?
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 8:22

I have no idea unfortunately. According to qwertymodo, the sgb support is really hard to implement into an emulator.
Quertmodo, PM wrote:No, Snes9x doesn't support the Super GameBoy. It requires fully emulating the entire GameBoy system, which Snes9x doesn't do. It would be nice, but it would be a whole lot of work, and I don't know of anybody who is both able to do it and has an interest in doing so.

Until now bsnes 113 (and higan) are the only capable to emulate msu1 with sgb. Since the plus fork, byuu updated some stuff, the said volume mixing, and something else qwerty mentioned in the issue section and so even the plus version needs to be updated:
https://github.com/devinacker/bsnes-plus/issues/242
https://github.com/devinacker/bsnes-plus/issues/243

I doubt that sgb msu1 will be compatible with many emulators. As for retropie, maybe this helps, but I do not know more:
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/4286/super-gameboy-emulation

As for sd2snes...:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8062.0
If we get it work stable from the software side to easily send a byte for track change (data_snd e.g., my vram smuggeling is complicated and may not work for every game), maybe people cry and complain enough so that ikari and snes9x devs will find and implement a solution... but for now, I am REALLY HAPPY that at least one emulator (bsnes 113) can do it Very Happy
That FFA was indeed my personal dream to have it msu:ed I played it in my childhood and even leveled up to 99.

As for other games: I think worthy for msu1 are gargoyle's quest, Link's awakening DX, oracle season, ages, Super Mario 1,2,3; maybe more. I hope we get a better method to transfer a byte since my method is hard to implement and a bit buggy (as mentioned already). I will however not take on another project until these 3 Final Fantasies in dev are finished. I am also human only and developing patches for this stuff takes a lot of time.

Edit:
Some more stuff to squeeze into this message. It is possible that e.g., the theme 1c (level up) is too fast over. The sgb emulates faster than the gameboy... maybe you have to make this theme shorter or play faster than the original.
Off topic: For Mystic Quest Track Map
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hMP06eNGQFjughMSLzySpMbEwVo5gosqpkpPpVrqIFY/edit#gid=0
I also wonder about Foresta Theme, why there are 2 indexes for the same theme. Maybe something happens here and initial the music switches after an event... or one is simply unused. A playtester has to find out I guess.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 18:30

JUD6MENT wrote:So retropie does a version of snes9x, is that right? So it wont ever run on that?

Well retropie would still work because bsnes does have a lib retro core. You might have to update by binary code, but other then that all you have to do is set the super gb games to that emulator and all should be fine, if I remember right. That's what makes retropie so great, its very flexible.

For snes9x you could also make a bug report on git hub to ask for said support. But the last time I was on the snes9x git hub, the main coder I believe said they were taking a break, because people wanted mode 7 support for snes9x. But I would still post. It will not hurt anything.

Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 25 Dec 2019 - 18:31

Conn wrote:Probably you get this message:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f50/18/39/92/77/image238.jpg

Click either NO here or remove ffa_bios.ips from your folder. If the patch file is inside this folder and I click yes, I also only get this white R.

I renamed the sgb patch file to ffa_bios_msu1.ips in the archieve, so this will never happen again.

Ok, thank you for letting me know that, I will give it another try at a latter point. :-D
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 28 Dec 2019 - 10:01

@ Jud6ment,
I am sure you already found these, but the Final Fantasy adventure remake has good music if you miss some themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvDr7XFVCA&list=PLDJoQvN7sex4bvqLe0HU4Ml5r9OUvzEX7

Also, the sword of mana may hold some themes you may use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NV07zJKMOs&list=PLB0xooEkKbSYMgYgUwa2uJIbqnWtKOtq1&index=20

You may have problems though to find level up/life lost substitutes...

For Rising sun and endless battlefield I definitely suggest the ones posted above:
https://youtu.be/sRjfK3juftQ
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 29 Dec 2019 - 1:22

Conn wrote:@ Jud6ment,
I am sure you already found these, but the Final Fantasy adventure remake has good music if you miss some themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvDr7XFVCA&list=PLDJoQvN7sex4bvqLe0HU4Ml5r9OUvzEX7

Also, the sword of mana may hold some themes you may use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NV07zJKMOs&list=PLB0xooEkKbSYMgYgUwa2uJIbqnWtKOtq1&index=20

You may have problems though to find level up/life lost substitutes...

For Rising sun and endless battlefield I definitely suggest the ones posted above:
https://youtu.be/sRjfK3juftQ

I actually noticed the remakes myself, the 2016 remake is really really good music. Unfortunately I did not find the time I was hoping for to make the PCM tracks and I am leaving to visit family tomorrow. It may take me some time to make the 2 PCM sets I said I will, but I will get them done eventually.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 1 Jan 2020 - 10:44

I found another bug: when e.g., poisoned status ailment should play, but it didn't so I fixed that. Redownload v3 patch from first post.

Edit:
I also edited it so that all no-loop tracks need to finish playing before the next track can start, so no need to adjust level-up or Elation to match timing anymore, J Very Happy
Also, please add a mute theme 0.pcm (simply 5 seconds of mute). If ever sd2snes will be able to play this rom, it is needed then.

Apply both patched, the sgb Bios and the gb game on fresh roms!

Edit2:
Here's the complete Adventures of Mana OST
CD1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEcC9u5nYAg&list=PLyJJViL6gniw4kIVF_O0vtRdHexay63oJ

CD2 (also contains level up, moogle, elation (Inn) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZ0zT_E8OE&list=PLyJJViL6gnizCr4HdJq38BOmSNL-0ECUH

(I still do not know where life lost is played... but better have it "somehow" even if you need to use the original GB theme as pcm)

Edit3:
Pev brought me to the idea to implement mute via spc fallback, so 0.pcm isn't needed anymore, but life lost is still needed (cannot make a spc fallback for gb themes)
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Jan 2020 - 10:37

Ok v4 is in first post, qwertymodo found out how to make a data_snd, so graphics at track change aren't glitched anymore. Furthermore, I replaced the sgb frame to more SoM style:

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Ffa_bi10

Unfortunately I only have 16 colors, but maybe better than the old SGB logo.

There weren't any changes to the track map or whatsoever. I hope J can finish it soon so we can play this rom in its full glory Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Mon 6 Jan 2020 - 12:04

Conn wrote:Ok v4 is in first post, qwertymodo found out how to make a data_snd, so graphics at track change aren't glitched anymore. Furthermore, I replaced the sgb frame to more SoM style:

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Ffa_bi10

Unfortunately I only have 16 colors, but maybe better than the old SGB logo.

There weren't any changes to the track map or whatsoever. I hope J can finish it soon so we can play this rom in its full glory Very Happy

Sorry to keep you waiting, i visited family during a road trip and now i am starting school. Hoping to get some of these done this week.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 7 Jan 2020 - 9:01

qwerty and I currently try to make the frame better, we are making progress (12 colors in this image, so we still can make it a lot better):

Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Ffa_bi11

Stay tuned Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Tue 7 Jan 2020 - 15:18

I got 5 done today, I am trying to do as many as possible when I wait in-between classes in school. This way no matter how busy I get I will at least get a few done a day
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 7 Jan 2020 - 16:30

Awesome Very Happy There are also 2 things running parallel (devinacker to fix audio mixing so it can be played in bsnes plus) and qwertymodo fixing the frame.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 8 Jan 2020 - 8:43

So, here's the new frame (v5 in first post).
Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Test_v10

Last edited by Conn on Thu 9 Jan 2020 - 7:16; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 8 Jan 2020 - 20:22

Ok, another update. I changed when dying the requiem theme to the life lost theme $1d which appears to be unused. I tested and it feels alright and better suited than the requiem theme at this place. (v6 in first post).

I hope there is a substitute, but even if we need the gb theme as pcm is fine for me Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 8 Jan 2020 - 21:50

@Conn, Hey, I just wanted to let you know that based off the design of the sgb face plate you made, I made a NES style one based off of the Official guide for the NES version. I though that a 8 bit model would look cool. :-D If you do not like it, or do not feel it fits, I understand. Just trying to help. Here it is
Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) for Super Gameboy Ffgbte10
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 9 Jan 2020 - 5:09

Looks great, but the screen injection is not that easy as you may expect (16 colors only, while the first is transparent and so on). The correct individual adjustments for a pic are horrible. Worse: gif2sopt is a bit buggy when it comes to 16 color images, so individual correcting in the map is necessary. I am happy that I succeeded after some hours.

so for now I leave it to the original switch screen from mana collection. Thanks in any case Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 9 Jan 2020 - 15:04

Conn wrote:Looks great, but the screen injection is not that easy as you may expect (16 colors only, while the first is transparent and so on). The correct individual adjustments for a pic are horrible. Worse: gif2sopt is a bit buggy when it comes to 16 color images, so individual correcting in the map is necessary. I am happy that I succeeded after some hours.

so for now I leave it to the original switch screen from mana collection. Thanks in any case Very Happy

Your very welcome. Happy that you liked it. Smile If its possible is there a link to the program you used, if so could I please get it because I would like to play around with it for fun. :-D
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 9 Jan 2020 - 17:12

Sure, here you go:
https://www.romhacking.net/download/utilities/127/
If you run gif2sopt on a gif 256x224, 87a non-interlaced, you get a pic tileset, tilemap and palette, which you somehow need to get into the rom (I used good old copy/paste method). Furthermore, there is some weired $2119 dma write messing up all your tiles, and yes, some sprites pop up. If you overcome all these problems you experience maybe more like the gif2sopt created tilemap has some errors which you need to correct by hand. Oh and as stated before, the first color is transparent, so if you have instead of black some gb background white... you need to fix that too Very Happy

I have 20 years romhacking experience and this was... hard. So all the best of luck playing around with it Very Happy

Oh and yes. If the program is too old to run on your computer (it is made for DOS), you also need a program called Dosbox.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next