BS Games project search for help

Go down

BS Games project search for help Empty BS Games project search for help

Post by darknior Thu 4 Mar 2021 - 10:05

Hi every one and thanks for all your great work Smile

Personally i'm not a great fan of MSU1 games, just some of them that have now great music and video intro ... but for most of them it's same than playing the original one.

BUT there is a system where MSU1 is incredible to use !!!
It's the SATELLAVIEW  Razz
With it we can re create the same experience like it was for real by the past in Japan ...
I have search a lot over the web but can only found the Zelda games where this work has been done. And now when we play these games we can understand why some time the game is stopping etc ... it's because some one speak and explain something for the game or speak about the story ...

This great video in french explain all of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl5K6_TtVUQ

And the officiel site of the project is here:
https://project.satellaview.org/

Game list here:
https://satellaview.org/#filter=

Zelda example, now with English voice acting Cool

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml

I have read this on the forum of how to do it ?

The problem is that each game is different. Basically there are these steps:
- muting the spc (easy for some games, extremely difficult for others)
- find out the hook with track number to run the msu code
- map the themes
- substitute them with pcm:s

The msu code is very similar for every game (sta $2004, stz $2005 etc...) but finding the place to hook and muting the spc is the task here. Since this is different for each game there cannot be a tutorial, but good asm knowledge and intuition is needed.

For Satellaview i think it can be really easier to do, because the game is working only for one hour, no more !
If you have the 1 hour sound track, the real one in Japanese, i think you can remove all the game musics, and only let this one. Because it's like it with Satellite. It send the same audio track to every one. And the only real part of the work is to synchro the start of the music to be fine with the game events.
And for INTRO and OUTRO its only a cut of the full game video, take on it like they do for Zelda ... with the loading at the beginning etc ...

But you will tell me where to take the stuff ?
It's easy, a Japanese gamer has give us a real gift and post all of them on Youtube here :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDJ4e492luVzCnMgfQPHgD-JvLWTDLJdp

I really think it can be a great and fun project to work like it on the 20 best games of this console to help gamers to recover the real experience, and not using hacks that change the games, remove timer etc ... Sad

Yes it's strange for some games because people are speaking during game, like on Radio, but it's fun because it's an old radio, with old music, and some event with heroes that speaking Smile

Are there some interested moder ?
Thanks reading me Smile

darknior
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Since : 2017-10-15

Back to top Go down

BS Games project search for help Empty Re: BS Games project search for help

Post by darknior Fri 5 Mar 2021 - 20:02

I have think a little more to this project and it is a little more work than i've mean first time ...

Because we have videos, we can see "Intro" and listen "Musics" but we also listen the player that play game Sad
We mus Shazam musics and make ourselves the good playlist ...

In this video we can listen all the best old 80 musics ...

- Back to the Future
- Ghost Busters
- Never Ending Story - Limahl
- A view To A Kill - Duran Duran
- Tak On Me - A-Ha

We must take them, past them on an only one track, and cut from the video the CUTSCENE to insert them too. And we will have the same game experience than 20 years before Smile
We will lost Japanese conversation ... during game, for sure, but like i don't speak Japanese like many people, it will not be big problem Razz

And there are only 10 games with SOUND LINK !!
Some have 4 weak, it give us 31 games. But there are not all very interesting, because not understandable for us ...
But some english patch are available for some of them ... maybe working only on best and translated games.

I can make videos, i can found musics and make the track, but i don't know how to make an MSU-1 patche, and i search help for this. And if we are more to work on it we will rock faster Smile

darknior
Snap Dragon
Snap Dragon

Since : 2017-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 15 Mar 2021 - 21:55

The fact that the game is only an hour doesn't actually simplify things on the coding side of MSU audio injection.

The biggest issue I see with making BS MSU projects is actually managing to acquire both the BS game's ROM data (I don't think all of the games were actually archived by fans who had the tech to actually rip the games from the broadcasts), and complete recordings of the audio from the game --without any SFX playing, so you can't use a gameplay recording for the audio-- which is even more difficult.

Then you have to either:
A: Program in textboxes and text with translation for the spoken dialog in the audio.
or
B: Hire some voice actors, and dub the audio yourself.

edale

BS Games project search for help Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 16 Mar 2021 - 5:15

I went down that path... never again! Very Happy
Conn
Conn

BS Games project search for help Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 16 Mar 2021 - 7:30

Conn wrote:
I went down that path... never again! Very Happy
I.... Actually know quite a few quasi-professional voice actors (well what would you call the people that dub anime abridged series? lol), and even more hopeful voice actors (AKA all the people that want to VA a role in an abridging, but don't get cast, lol). I could probably get a few decently skilled voice actors willing to record a few lines for free in just a day or two... Though if a role has more than a few lines, I might need to pay them...

And I'm more than capable of editing the audio together...

If you do ever decide to try another BS -> MSU1 conversion, send me a message and I'll probably be able to handle the audio aspects, as long as there's a script already translated for the VAs to follow, and a copy of the original broadcast audio for me to get the timing for everything from.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 16 Mar 2021 - 12:36

If you do ever decide to try another BS -> MSU1 conversion,...
... I enjoy my retirement too much Very Happy BSZelda was quite a success after all, most voices are fantastic, though many complained about the old man (Erock from here), but it I consider it nevertheless excellent work, which I don't want to revive.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 16 Mar 2021 - 20:20

Conn wrote:

If you do ever decide to try another BS -> MSU1 conversion,...
... I enjoy my retirement too much Very Happy
Glances at how active Conn is.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Blue3

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 17 Mar 2021 - 5:38

no worries, I feel responsible maintaining my stuff, but I would not start a new project - seeing the rat tail it holds to maintain our 160+ patches.
So I happily reject a requests for further voice dubs Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down