What makes a good computer for rom hacks?

Go down

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Empty What makes a good computer for rom hacks?

Post by JUD6MENT Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 19:08

So my wife and I are looking into getting a second computer. My current computer is

Acer
CORE i5 CPU
Intel r HD graphics 620
12gb Ram
512gb SSD

What would be the best way to upgrade my computer so I do not get framerate slowdown in MSU-1 rom hacks? For the most part, SNES msu1 works fine, but the combination of recording and playing a gameboy msu1 makes a slow down like at timestamp 9:50 in this pokemon silver preview.

https://youtu.be/JCEWEpkbk6Y?t=589

What would help me most to prevent this problem? Do I need a better graphic chip, more RAM, or a better CPU? Any advice?

JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Empty Re: What makes a good computer for rom hacks?

Post by JUD6MENT Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 20:22

And just a side note, not looking to play fortnite, overwatch, or other big title pc games. I do console gaming and just looking to upgrade my msu1 performance
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Empty Re: What makes a good computer for rom hacks?

Post by Conn Sat 27 Mar 2021 - 3:58

In my opinion HP are the best and most stable computers, I don't buy anything else though, so I cannot compare.
The CPU power and ram is not so much important, the most crucial thing is a SSD harddisk, the speed is mostly dependent on this.
Seeing your computer internals though, you have all needed... I almost cannot imagine it has something to do with it... probably the culprit is the emulator?

My best advice is to ask Pev, he's expert here.
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sat 27 Mar 2021 - 6:00

The on-board graphics would be the weak link in that system. The CPU (without knowing its clock speed) and RAM are more than capable of multitasking where recording is concerned. It might also be the software you're using for recording is using a less efficient encoder, or raw AVI which can eat up resources and cause stuttering like that.
Relikk
Relikk

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 27 Mar 2021 - 14:08

Thanks for the advice. If my new computer had a better graphics card but only 8gb ram, do you think that would be better?
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by zarby89 Sat 27 Mar 2021 - 16:22

not sure if that's a computer performance issue... i used to run emulators on very bad computers with good performance, is this a laptop ? because that looks like a power management issue i already had that too random slowdowns because cpu/gpu are not running at their max capacity (even if you are on desktop computer)
on windows go in power management (not exactly sure of the name in english sorry, in advanced power settings) it should looks like this
What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Unknown
check if max cpu usage is setted on 100% if not put it on 100% and the minimal on 5 or 10
and put the intel graphics on high performance

zarby89
zarby89

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Image111

Since : 2016-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Sat 27 Mar 2021 - 18:53

JUD6MENT wrote:Thanks for the advice. If my new computer had a better graphics card but only 8gb ram, do you think that would be better?

Oh yes, 8gb gfx card will be more then enough for you on msu-1. I would aim for an amd card because they are cheaper, but NVIDIA will also work. I would suggest RTX 1650 gfx card. But due to current events and crypto miners, you will be paying over msrp for said card. But if you go a pre built route as long it has a Radeon or NVIDIA in it all ready your good to go.

Now if you are aiming for a pre-built computer I would suggest Dell, Or an Lenovo one. If it was up to me I would get a dell, but again that is what I like and worked with the most on. I would aim for a Intel i5 or i7 10XXX line, or AMD ryzen 5 3600 - ryzen 7 3700x. Both would be great for you. Now Intel might be cheaper on pre-built then AMD, but it all depends of where you are at and what is popular over by you. Where I am at, pre-built AMD computers are basically gone. Very few if any stores have them, but intel computers they do have a lot of. So again ymmv.

Ram, get at least 8gb of for bare usage, but 16gb would be great. With the current growth of the internet and windows 10 being a hog on the ram 16gb would give you enough wiggle room for general computer usage, and windows 10 going hay wire at times.

I would also make sure it has at least 500gb SSD for windows 10 to be on and for a few of your favorite programs and such. SSD brand I love are Samsung Evo line. The newest line of them ar the 670 for SATA 3 type, and 970 for m.2. For general use and cost I would pick the SATA type 3 one. Again if the pre-built all ready has an ssd in it, then you will be fine. I just wanted to let you know just in case the computer comes with a poor quality drive, you know what one to look for. and 1TB or larger HDD for general storage and such.

I hope that all that I have listed helps you out. Oh and do not forget your Anti virus program. Smile

Oh and for game capture for msu1 games, it might be your emulator that might be causing the lag issue. I would use Retro arch lib snes9x current and/or bsnes current cores for game caputre because retro arch tends to do better in that do to it having recording game play built right in.

Last edited by Polargames on Sat 27 Mar 2021 - 18:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add something)
Polargames
Polargames

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 30 Mar 2021 - 16:07

Polargames wrote:Now if you are aiming for a pre-built computer I would suggest Dell, Or an Lenovo one.
No! Bad!

Never suggest a Dell, they're overpriced garbage.

------

If you're just trying to do MSU-1 games, than a non-integrated GPU will probably be all you need.

For more general emulation, especially of the newer systems, a new CPU might help. I can't say this for sure because there are lots of models of Core i5 chip with different stats, and you don't list which you have; but in general for emulation you want the best single-core performance you can get, since emulators can't really take advantage of multiple cores (you can still use a multicore CPU, but the emulators will only be running on one of them).

edale

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilipHannah Fri 16 Jul 2021 - 12:48

JUD6MENT wrote:So my wife and I are looking into getting a second computer. My current computer is

Acer
CORE i5 CPU
Intel r HD graphics 620
12gb Ram
512gb SSD

What would be the best way to upgrade my computer so I do not get framerate slowdown in MSU-1 rom hacks? For the most part, SNES msu1 works fine, but the combination of recording and playing a gameboy msu1 makes a slow down like at timestamp 9:50 in this pokemon silver preview.

https://youtu.be/JCEWEpkbk6Y?t=589/Employee monitoring

What would help me most to prevent this problem? Do I need a better graphic chip, more RAM, or a better CPU? Any advice?

Why you need to install a 12gb RAM for a Intel HD 620 ? Ohmygod

PilipHannah
Newcomer

Since : 2021-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Fri 16 Jul 2021 - 16:11

PilipHannah wrote:Why you need to install a 12gb RAM for a Intel HD 620 ? Ohmygod
Why would the amount of RAM he uses be dependant on his GPU? The main use for excess RAM on a computer is for multitasking, not graphics.

edale

What makes a good computer for rom hacks? Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down