Suggestions for new categories

Go down

Suggestions for new categories Empty Re: Suggestions for new categories

Post by Conn Wed 5 Jan 2022 - 19:22

I wonder whether we should open a new section, for these special shooters.
In the section "shoot 'em up", I'd favour space shootings like gradius, Axeley... exotics like star fox and Pocky&Rocky, Wing Commander, Hong Kong might also fit here... Hyper Zone is more a racing?

Any suggestions are welcome.
I'd suggest to make subsection:
2D shooter: (Gradius and alike)
3D shooter: (doom, wolfenstein, Lethal Enforcers, Hyper Zone, Doom, star fox, wiing comander)
Platform Shooter:  rocky&Pocky, Hong Kong

While lethal enforcers could also be simulation (what is the official genre)? Do we have similar games already sorted somewhere?

btw,@cubear (my usual curiousity). What is Stories of Ihatovo / Ihatovo Monogatari for a game? I looked a few youtubes, but wasn't able to find a point to this game. There is no fighting or anything, the actor just walks and talks Very Happy Do I miss something?
Conn
Conn

Suggestions for new categories Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 5 Jan 2022 - 19:35

@Conn I though games like star fox and lethal enforcers fall under "on rail shooters". The rest are third person games.

Update: Rocky and Pocky is a platformer. I find with that one being in jump 'n gun.

pev

Suggestions for new categories Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 5 Jan 2022 - 21:15

Mmh. We have 1st person shooter (star fox, doom,)
3. Person shooter (gradius and alike)

Pooky is alike Hongkong nothing from above, and also no jump gun because you cannot jump like in contra.

So we can make the subsections
2d shooter (gradius, alike)
3d shooter +starfox, Hyperzone, Wolfenstein, doom)
Platform. Shooter (rocky, Hongkong, probably lethal enforcers

Or
Subsections
1st person shooter (doom, wolf, lethal enforcers, starfox
2nd person shooters (gradius, rocky,....)
I'd go for option one. Anybody else has suggestions?

Btw: Ihatovo is listed as rpg/adventure. Maybe I shift it there. Alike king's quest (whoever recalls this rpg/adventure
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Wed 5 Jan 2022 - 22:58

Pocky & Rocky is like Gun.Smoke or uhh.. Ikari Warriors. they're still Shoot 'em Ups in my brain, you just have a bit more control over the screen scroll.

i'm partial to your second suggestion just because fewer categories would make it less guesswork to find whatever you might be after.. but maybe more like "top down shooter" and "3d shooter"

as far as categorizing Ihatovo... it doesn't have any battles, so neither RPG category seemed to "fit" so i put it where it was as kind of like the "catch all" for stranger games
Cubear
Cubear

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 6 Jan 2022 - 5:19

Just my 2 cents, but I think there are too many categories as it is and that we don't need more. The whole "Jump 'N..." section could be merged into one as they're all essentially "platformers".
Relikk
Relikk

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for new categories Empty Suggestions for new categories

Post by Conn Thu 6 Jan 2022 - 6:03

I moved doom and wolfenstein in shoot em up.
2 subsections are indeed enough, but I'd like to have them sorted into one category like gradius; the majority (2d sidewards) and others I think. Just need to think about the names Very Happy

The whole "Jump 'N..." section could be merged into one as they're all essentially "platformers".
That's about 50 games in one category then... too much scrolling imo.

Maybe I add a quick search list one day, so a site here with all links to the specific game site (alphabetically sorted, strg+F to find it). More maintainance... Sad

Edit:
I sorted Shoot 'em up into 2 categories
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 7 Jan 2022 - 13:56

Small announcement that I escalate my retirement plans to stage 2. I realized more and more in the last time, that I lost fun in coding stuff, so a year ago I stopped making new msu patches (retirement stage 1, except pnn zelda, which was a must have) and now I stop responding to requests.
So please anybody take no offense if I ignore any inquiries to make this or that patch compatible/port/SA-1/whatever or help on new projects.

Never say never, so if one of my patches has a major bug (e.g., game breaking), I'll probably fix but that's it I guess.

I will nevertheless make some maintainance (replacing broken links and such stuff) for a while. If it feels one day that I leave for good (escalating stage 3), it will be up to qwerty (founder/main admin) to nominate a new admin to replace me.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Fri 7 Jan 2022 - 14:02

If it isn’t fun, don’t do it, right? Games are meant to be fun. I still really appreciate your help getting started with rom hacking, so I wish you a very happy retirement! Take a break and recharge those batteries a bit.
Cubear
Cubear

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 7 Jan 2022 - 14:26

Thanks Very Happy yeah... 20+ years already: bszelda, Conker, ALTTP, MSU, guess I was participating at writing retro history. But at some point when it is no fun anymore... Wink

You're about to become the next me I guess (next to Pev, Kurrono, and all the others of course) Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Fri 7 Jan 2022 - 18:16

@Conn So, for real? This is not another running joke scenario? If so, enjoy your next stage of life where ever it takes you. Thank you for all the help these past four years.

pev

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by VVV18 Fri 7 Jan 2022 - 19:44

@Conn, honestly you deserve the best in life ( TIME ) take as much time for what you want to do and do, more: thank you so much for everything, everything, thanks!!!

VVV18
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

Since : 2019-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 8 Jan 2022 - 6:42

So, for real? This is not another running joke scenario? If so, enjoy your next stage of life where ever it takes you. Thank you for all the help these past four years.
I'll try my best Wink but stage 1 worked well (except those pnn I wanted to accomplish), so I am confident I'll manage Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Octorok Sat 26 Mar 2022 - 2:07

Enjoy your retirement ^^! Hopefully the apprentices will keep this scene alive for a little while longer.

Its major thanks to you and others that most of the Major SNES titles have gotten a MSU-1 now. Now its just getting down to the cult classics and the obscure.
Octorok
Octorok
Newcomer

Since : 2022-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Sat 26 Mar 2022 - 23:20

Thanks for all the hard work you have done Conn Suggestions for new categories 1f600 Suggestions for new categories 263a
Polargames
Polargames

Suggestions for new categories Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 1:41

I would not put Pocky and Rocky as jump n gun, you dont even jump. I would say top down shooter sounds right.

Always take care of yourself first Conn, you dont owe anyone to continue doing something you dont want to do. As who would run this website after you leave, i seriously dont know. I wouldnt even want to run it fully and we really dont see qwertymodo much. I wouldnt be surprised that everyone that cares about this website all grow too old together and cant find time to maintain it. If so, that is how life is.

I would have more time during summers to help maintain the website though, one nice thing about being a teacher
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 2:54

Thanks to all. Yes, we all grow older and it's already 7 years I work on this page... Only hope left here is that qwerty releases ladx one day.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 18:50

Conn wrote:Thanks to all. Yes, we all grow older and it's already 7 years I work on this page... Only hope left here is that qwerty releases ladx one day.

And releases the chrono trigger videos! I think they are legit awesome and should be releases as they are now. He got good looking previews on his channel in my opinion.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down