Dragon Quest I & II

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dragon Quest I & II Empty Dragon Quest I & II

August 15, 2022
Version 1.3: Moved my code to no longer require an expanded rom. should apply fine to translated or untranslated rom now. 
Changed resume point setting to be 24 bit addressed instead of 16 to hopefully increase compatibility with non-emulator platforms.

Patch v1.3 (by Cubear):
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/bWo0hb6T#k5rZGIoEtL3lka59NGXPeJImjs6_P6RYy-6nWCaUw1Q
Apply after any english patch.
It should play nice with the base Japanese rom if that's what you like.

Koichi Sugiyama Symphonic Suite PCM pack (by Relikk):
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/xvZCCA5b#dh_TFlw88_xafuKuQSNhmg0XXqU1GmXGjqoM8NMsJqA

Small packs with only a few replacements.
The only replacements are Victory, Improvement, Cursed, Special Item. 
For a more authentic DQ experience.
8-bit SFX PCM pack:
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/XaYQVY6Z#QhcRNo_chvBFAqYs-Hi6PLCyvXGSaE4JayiQ_9IkdeQ

DQ11 rip SFX PCM pack

Code:
https://mega.nz/file/qPoziQBZ#3QdjNd0Ak_PisEW9l5NTYFmSo0zx_BlSHl7c6mvEEo0

--------------

Changelog:
July 17, 2022 
Version 1.1:   Fixed Fairy Flute not setting restore point properly. 
                    Fixed Shrine calling resume point unintentionally.
July 18, 2022
Version 1.11: Fairy Flute no longer resets battle music.
Version 1.20: Rainbow Bridge cutscene extends to meet length of track
                    DQ2's inn cutscene extends to meet length of track
                    Running from battle now fades in overworld music.
                    Fixed an error with fade-in code: multiple fade ins after a ship battle in DQ2
August 11, 2022
Version 1.21: Added MSU1 chip detection.

Last edited by Cubear on Sat 19 Nov 2022 - 17:19; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : adding promo video)
Cubear
Cubear

Dragon Quest I & II Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Dragon Quest I & II :: Comments

Conn

Post Fri 15 Jul 2022 - 5:00 by Conn

Awesome, finally finished Very Happy
I locked this topic and moved it out of the dev section:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2428-dragon-quest-i-ii#40591

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Fri 15 Jul 2022 - 16:36 by JUD6MENT

Congrats! awesome addition!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Fri 15 Jul 2022 - 22:13 by Conn

I hope the in progress list clears a bit further soon. Qwerty said he recently looked into ladx so there's hope

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Fri 15 Jul 2022 - 23:55 by Polargames

Congrats 🙂😃🎉

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 16 Jul 2022 - 9:16 by Zense

Truly amazing work on this! Just did a full playthrough of Dragon Quest I with this yesterday using the addendum english translation patch from 2021 (and the 2x gold and 2x experience patch :O).

Kodus to Relikk for the music pack as well. The transitions and loop points were very cleverly done.

I was considering looking into making this patch myself some point in the future, but you beat me to it Razz I'd first have to learn how to, though.

I really like how the overworld music doesn't just start from the beginning after every battle now. Thanks for adding this!

I used Snes9x 1.6.1. Latest nightly from their github repo. Applied the patches (translation, 2x exp + gold and msu1 in that order)  to a no-intro confirmed ROM.

I only noticed some very few things:

1. The wrong music plays for the begin your adventure screen. I saw this was commented in the betatesting thread too. I grabbed both the music pack and the patch from here. I tested this with bsnes too. The wrong music played is the one for small town which is the longer Track 19 in this case - Track 2 is a shorter variant of this. Dragon Quest 2 has the correct "Begin your Adventure" music which is track 20. Having checked all the tracks in the pack I cannot find the first game's "Begin your adventure" track.
    EDIT: Looking further into it, it seems this track is not part of the PCM pack. The track should be this one (@ 10:10) and it is the same as used for save select in DQ XI:
    https://youtu.be/GZ3yqGK-nOA?t=610
    You also have it from the recent 3DS/Switch/PS4 remasters:
    https://youtu.be/jXJ0uldAgO8?t=2

2. The battle music restarts when using the fairy flute in battle after that jingle finishes. Actually any music restarts if the fairy flute is played, the overworld music too. I think these should just continue from where they left off. It's track number 25.

3. The jingle for finding items like the silver harp or any important item has a very vibrating/reverbing part towards the end. Not sure if this is due to snes9x. The music file sounds like this in Audacity too. The file is called dq12_msu-51.pcm.

4. When exiting the shrine north west of Maira (The town right before the Dragon dungeon), the adventure map music continues playing from where it left off. This isn't how it normally behaves in an unpatched jap rom, and with the msu1 patch exiting other dungeons like the Hero grave near the starting town makes the overworld music start from the beginning. It's not much of a problem though, just something I noticed.

5. When you get the rainbow drop the music stops very abruptly. It is in the southeastern-most shrine.

6. Snes9x became non-responsive when the "The End" showed up after beating the game. Not sure if this is specific to Snes9x. After something like 10 seconds it became responsive again. The final credits song is track 6.

I can provide save states with Snes9x or bsnes if wanted. Although I would probably need to start a new game for some of them since I only have a savestate towards the end.

Some additional thoughts I had while playing, so not bugs:

1. Traditionally in the Dragon Quest series the finished battle tune and the level up tune is usually a synth/midi version even for the games with orchestral soundtrack. I don't mind how it is orchestral right now but it would make this pack sound even more authentic if these two tracks were even the original snes tracks or even better if they were the same as for later games since they're always the same in the later games.
    Here is an example from Dragon Quest XI S with finished battle and level up (it's pretty much the same in Dragon Quest VIII):
    https://youtu.be/rbedFIAYVKE?t=4440
    I can't remember right now if there are other small tunes in the series that usually are more synth-like. Maybe opening chests/finding items? The most obvious ones for longtime fans are the two mentioned above, though

Anyways, great job again and I'm really happy to have this music patch which further cements this as the definitive version of this classic game.

This was such a good experience I might consider playing DQ2 again at some point, especially with 2x gold and exp which by modern standards are necessary imho.

Last edited by Zense on Sun 17 Jul 2022 - 9:57; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Sat 16 Jul 2022 - 17:23 by Cubear

Thanks for the in-depth breakdown. I'll try to look into the issues raised as soon as I'm able. If you'd like to get into making MSU1 patches I'd be happy to assist you in learning. You can find me on the Zeldix discord (as Cubear#2022) or post in this thread to get my attention.
https://www.zeldix.net/t2412-msu-1-beginning-hacking-information-thread

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Sun 17 Jul 2022 - 3:34 by Cubear

conclusions are:

1. This is the correct song playing, but the track itself has the wrong starting point and should start at around the 2 minute mark.

2. Fixed, mostly. cannot resume battle music as battle music calls another resume point and MSU1 only seems to remember one at a time. 
still to-do: make fairy flute not break the overworld resume point if fairy flute is used in battle.

3. that's just how that PCM sounds

4. fixed.

5. fixed

6. cannot confirm.

I'll try to work a bit more on this this weekend. I'll update the first post with version 1.1 with the fairy flute + shrine fixes

Last edited by Cubear on Tue 19 Jul 2022 - 2:26; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Mon 18 Jul 2022 - 18:35 by Cubear

I've updated the first post with 1.11 with additional fairy flute fixes.

Last edited by Cubear on Tue 19 Jul 2022 - 2:27; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Tue 19 Jul 2022 - 2:20 by Cubear

updated to 1.20. 

added some replacement tracks for some of the short jingles in order to replicate more modern orchestral dragon quest games.

Back to top Go down

rmcdra

Post Thu 28 Jul 2022 - 22:52 by rmcdra

Question, there was a translation done by another romhacker of this game and it had a game breaking glitch in DQII. It occurs during the sequence where the prince of Cannock gets sick. An infinite text loop occurs. Does this translation patch avoid that? This is really exciting to see btw. Thank you for working on this

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Thu 28 Jul 2022 - 23:09 by Cubear

This patch contains no translation, but you can apply it to a translated rom and it should still work.  If one translation has an issue like that, I'd suggest trying another.

Back to top Go down

rmcdra

Post Thu 28 Jul 2022 - 23:17 by rmcdra

Cubear wrote:This patch contains no translation, but you can apply it to a translated rom and it should still work.  If one translation has an issue like that, I'd suggest trying another.
Oh it's an msu1 patch. I misread the patch. Still very cool. Please disregard this.

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Thu 28 Jul 2022 - 23:42 by Cubear

If you send me a save file near said glitch and the name of the translation patch author, I can see if I could correct the infinite text error.

sram preferred.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 29 Jul 2022 - 2:39 by Zense

I've heard about that glitch and I believe the latest addendum from 2019 addressed this glitch. Here's that patch on romhacking.net:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6127/

My current save shouldn't be too far away from that spot so I could test it when I have time though.

Back to top Go down

rmcdra

Post Fri 29 Jul 2022 - 6:37 by rmcdra

Zense wrote:I've heard about that glitch and I believe the latest addendum from 2019 addressed this glitch. Here's that patch on romhacking.net:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6127/

My current save shouldn't be too far away from that spot so I could test it when I have time though.

Was not aware of this patch. Thank you very much!

Back to top Go down

TruREALigion

Post Mon 1 Aug 2022 - 22:56 by TruREALigion

Hello - just wanted to add for this patch v1.20

for DQ2, after battle victory jingle, overworld/dungeon/wherever repeats from beginning.

Tested on SNES with SD2SNES/FXPAK and MiSTerFPGA (MiSTer is probably a bad place to test).

My SAV file is here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zvdbBanBSD7LkboK3cn9cHJOn2qzCyL4?usp=sharing

DQ1 battle music > victory > overworld theme works great!

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 14:21 by Cubear

Hi @TruREALigion! thanks for posting your issue, however i still cannot reproduce it. bsnes and Snes9x both resume tracks in DQ1+2 on my machine. perhaps something is incorrect with the patching of your rom?

what patches are being applied?
Translation+ MSU? Just MSU?

Please try patching a fresh clean rom if you had been applying my patches sequentially to the same rom, maybe that is the cause of the issue.

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Thu 11 Aug 2022 - 23:05 by Cubear

Added MSU1 chip detection to prevent crashes if MSU1 chip not present.

Back to top Go down

TruREALigion

Post Sun 14 Aug 2022 - 23:21 by TruREALigion

Cubear wrote:Hi @TruREALigion! thanks for posting your issue, however i still cannot reproduce it. bsnes and Snes9x both resume tracks in DQ1+2 on my machine. perhaps something is incorrect with the patching of your rom?

what patches are being applied?
Translation+ MSU? Just MSU?

Please try patching a fresh clean rom if you had been applying my patches sequentially to the same rom, maybe that is the cause of the issue.

Hi Cubear - so I took the plunge and got BSNES v115 (and the nightly build), renamed my sav to srm, and.... it works absolutely fine!

Maybe its issues with SD2SNES and MiSTerFPGA - but I guess thats out of scope for now.

Probably not important the rom I used:
Dragon Quest I & II (J) T+Eng v2.0 RPGONE, Bugfix v1.053rtm Rod Merida, Doubled v1 Psyklax

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Mon 15 Aug 2022 - 1:59 by Cubear

It's unfortunate but I can't test on those platforms. If anybody has input on why track resume might break on those platforms, I'd love it if you would share with me Smile

I'm happy that it works for you. If you notice any other issues or weird things, please tell me and I will try to fix them.

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Mon 15 Aug 2022 - 5:26 by Relikk

ikari would be the person to ask about any SD2SNES issues. I wouldn't bother with MiSTer as their implementation is unfinished anyway and they have very little interest in anything MSU1 related or with bugfixing it.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 15 Aug 2022 - 9:12 by Conn

Sometimes it causes problems if the rom wasn't expanded before (e.g., it crashes for this reason on geiger debugger).

Another problem could be that it needs long addressing in some cases, like
lda #$04
STA $002007 (in case db is 7e or so). This is mainly identical between bsnes and fxpak, but you never know.

Attached is a try-out patch, but don't take it as official since the asm isn't synced with the patch as far I've seen:
lda $2000
bit #$0010 ;audio playing (1 or 0)
needs to be
bit #$10 in the asm (that is only corrected in the patch, I corrected it in the asm but don't know if I did correct).

So attached patch
- expands the rom to 2 MB
- makes lda #$04 : sta $002007
let's see if it does the trick on fxpak Wink
Attachments
Dragon Quest I & II Attachment
test.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(4 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Mon 15 Aug 2022 - 10:54 by Cubear

the rom expansion thing is probably because i was developing on the english patched rom to ensure compatibility with said patch, which probably already expanded the rom. interesting problem that i'll have to consider in the future

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 15 Aug 2022 - 11:13 by Conn

Oh I see.
In that case @trurealigion, please use a Japanese Rom without header if you want to test my try.

@cubear, that's really a big problem... Best is you attach a readme to each Rom, describing the patch order (e.g. you'd need to apply the translation patch first, on unheadered? Rom, crc or such). I hate documentation but this really helps avoiding confusion and those nasty false bug reports.
You could also ease things and add a merged patch with crediting the translation authors or alike Smile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next