The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ?

Go down

The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ? Empty The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ?

Post by Mark Hamilton Sun 29 Jan 2023 - 3:31

Hi

Im new to this forum
I just found a link to romhaking.net for the Zelda Link to the past DX patched rom

It is possible to have the DX patch installed on the Canadien French language rom/game ?

Mark Hamilton
Newcomer

Since : 2023-01-29

Back to top Go down

The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ? Empty Re: The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ?

Post by Polargames Sun 29 Jan 2023 - 13:50

Hello Mark,
My name is Polar.😀
In response to your query, you are more than welcome to give it a go. Just be aware that there is a possibility that it won't function at all or that it may contain regrettable faults that cause the game to crash and/or fail. We are unable to provide fixes or guarantee that patches will work on various versions of the same game. I hope this answered your question well. Feel free to ask again. 😀
Polargames
Polargames

The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ? Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ? Empty Re: The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ?

Post by Mark Hamilton Sun 29 Jan 2023 - 19:56

Polargames wrote:Hello Mark,
My name is Polar.😀
In response to your query, you are more than welcome to give it a go. Just be aware that there is a possibility that it won't function at all or that it may contain regrettable faults that cause the game to crash and/or fail. We are unable to provide fixes or guarantee that patches will work on various versions of the same game. I hope this answered your question well. Feel free to ask again. 😀

It not help me a lots but i will give it a try
what program i should use for applying the patch ?

Mark Hamilton
Newcomer

Since : 2023-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Sun 29 Jan 2023 - 21:05

Check you DM's. That should help you.😁
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 31 Jan 2023 - 6:24

Mark Hamilton wrote:Hi

Im new to this forum
I just found a link to romhaking.net for the Zelda Link to the past DX patched rom

It is possible to have the DX patch installed on the Canadien French language rom/game ?
Do NOT apply the DX patch to the Canadien French language rom. It will Not work, the result will be a bugged/non working/black screen rom. If you want other language roms to be DX, you need to hack the game, either correctly hacking DX changes into the French rom (remember that in this rom all data is misplaced) or taking the DX english rom and translate it into French (transfer monologues from one rom to the other), and then make a patch for that.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past DX on Canadien French rom ? Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 31 Jan 2023 - 6:34

In response to your query, you are more than welcome to give it a go. Just be aware that there is a possibility that it won't function at all or that it may contain regrettable faults that cause the game to crash and/or fail.
That's not a possibility, it is a fact that it won't work (crash/not load at all). If you consider the changes that the patch makes, you would never suggest applying this to any other rom but precisely the one intended. Not even EU version will work (and it is in english like the US version), not to mention any other roms. In other language/version roms *all data* is slightly misplaced from the US version for which the DX was made for, thus rendering all pointers and such to be elsewhere. Imagine what happens when you then apply the simple GFX edit on that (DX changes the title screen). You will have all GFX bugged, due to wrong pointers if you apply the patch to other roms of any kind etc etc for all changes.

Cross rom patching is only possible if you have an IPS patch and the change is something trivial, which is on the same place in all roms, like loading health, infinite health hack/cheat, tunic colors etc. For instance my hack which gives the player the Cane of Byrna or 20 heart containers from the start, works for all ALTTP versions/roms/hacks, since this is such a fundamental data, that it is untouched across versions/hacks/translations.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Tue 31 Jan 2023 - 18:59

I had assumed that patch was something trivial. I was wrong. I am sorry.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 1 Feb 2023 - 10:25

Polargames wrote:I had assumed that patch was something trivial. I was wrong. I am sorry.
It's fine, I'm just trying to keep you away from producing bugged/non-working roms. Some things in DX are probably fine on other language roms as well, like MSU (part of DX), but you basically need to verify each thing in hex, and thus hack the French rom in this case. You go to an address and if the original code matches between US and French roms (both non headered) you can make that change. For instance MSU should be ok, Khold stare ice shell melting as well etc, but each thing can be some bytes shifted, thus you make the change on the appropriate shifted location.

It would be much easier to just take the English DX rom and translate its monologues and menu items into French, taking advantage of the original French rom. All the monologues can also be transfered in hex (from original French rom into already correctly patched US DX rom), since the code could be on the same space as in English. So you have quite some options here, but patching the DX patch to a French base rom will not work. Of course you can do that too, there is around 95 percent chance that that rom will not work or not perform properly.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Fri 3 Feb 2023 - 19:12

Puzzledude wrote:
Polargames wrote:I had assumed that patch was something trivial. I was wrong. I am sorry.
It's fine, I'm just trying to keep you away from producing bugged/non-working roms. Some things in DX are probably fine on other language roms as well, like MSU (part of DX), but you basically need to verify each thing in hex, and thus hack the French rom in this case. You go to an address and if the original code matches between US and French roms (both non headered) you can make that change. For instance MSU should be ok, Khold stare ice shell melting as well etc, but each thing can be some bytes shifted, thus you make the change on the appropriate shifted location.

It would be much easier to just take the English DX rom and translate its monologues and menu items into French, taking advantage of the original French rom. All the monologues can also be transfered in hex (from original French rom into already correctly patched US DX rom), since the code could be on the same space as in English. So you have quite some options here, but patching the DX patch to a French base rom will not work. Of course you can do that too, there is around 95 percent chance that that rom will not work or not perform properly.

Sounds good. Thank you for taking the time to explain it all to me. I will remember that for the next time something like this shows up again. 😃
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down