SunGodPortal's Burning Questions

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

SunGodPortal's Burning Questions - Page 3 Empty Re: SunGodPortal's Burning Questions

Post by Conn Tue 10 Mar 2015 - 14:09

Of course you can expand the 4 rooms with an adjusted asm (I did similar with the super-bombable walls asm). But usually 4 rooms are sufficient. If any Project Need more rooms I am of course of Service Wink
Conn
Conn

SunGodPortal's Burning Questions - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

SunGodPortal's Burning Questions - Page 3 Empty Re: SunGodPortal's Burning Questions

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 10 Mar 2015 - 16:03

Oh man. I've seen this on here a million times but I had no idea what it was for. Wasn't sure what a mimic was (I guess everybody uses different terms). Makes perfect sense given their behavior. How stupid of me. LOL

Of course you can expand the 4 rooms with an adjusted asm (I did similar with the super-bombable walls asm). But usually 4 rooms are sufficient. If any Project Need more rooms I am of course of Service Wink

Thanks. I won't be needing it just yet though because I'm not sure how many I'll need. I have a "test dungeon" on the side to try out ideas and just noticed this issue when playing around last night. I'd def want to use more of them though. Those things were one of my favorite enemies from the original game. I remember thinking they were super-creepy when I was a kid (those faces) and trying to kill them was always fun because of how tricky it could be.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

SunGodPortal's Burning Questions - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 13 Mar 2015 - 2:38

1) This first one is about the Cane of Somaria. When you make a block and have it explode, what is that "attack" comparable to? Level 1 sword? Arrow? Bomb? That sort of thing. Since this item isn't very essential in ALttP (and I think it's cool) I'd like to find ways to utilize it from the beginning of the game, but if it causes too much damage I may have to rethink this. If it's too strong and would be too easy to take advantage of early in the game, how hard would it be to adjust the damage level?

2) I'm curious about the "transfer sprites" hack.

Code Addresses: main code at $14C296 (can be put elsewhere)

Is that where the indoor sprite data is being relocated to or does this refer to something else? Besides having more "room" for sprites (I assume meaning more of them), are there any other benefits to this? How compatible is this with Hyrule Magic?
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin17 Sat 14 Mar 2015 - 3:31

assassin17
assassin17

SunGodPortal's Burning Questions - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2015-03-14

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 14 Mar 2015 - 10:07

SunGodPortal wrote:1) This first one is about the Cane of Somaria. When you make a block and have it explode, what is that "attack" comparable to? Level 1 sword? Arrow? Bomb? That sort of thing. Since this item isn't very essential in ALttP (and I think it's cool) I'd like to find ways to utilize it from the beginning of the game, but if it causes too much damage I may have to rethink this. If it's too strong and would be too easy to take advantage of early in the game, how hard would it be to adjust the damage level?

2) I'm curious about the "transfer sprites" hack.

Code Addresses: main code at $14C296 (can be put elsewhere)

Is that where the indoor sprite data is being relocated to or does this refer to something else? Besides having more "room" for sprites (I assume meaning more of them), are there any other benefits to this? How compatible is this with Hyrule Magic?
1) The attack of the cane of Somaria is not very strong. If you have it in the game in the early stages, it definitely won't spoil the fun. But the address for its damage was not yet found. (This should be 1 byte though).

2) Transfer sprites is not compatible with Hyrule Magic. 14C296 is the new rom address for the sprite code. I shifted this by 1MB. Originally it is at 04C296.
Benefits: you can move the sprite code withing one rom to a new location (to have more room), you can move the sprite code from one rom to another, you can have more sprites in the game.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin17 Sat 14 Mar 2015 - 21:52

1) hint: 06/ECBF
assassin17
assassin17

SunGodPortal's Burning Questions - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2015-03-14

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 14 Mar 2015 - 22:35

1) hint: 06/ECBF

Thanks. I think it'll be okay now that I know the exact amount of damage it causes (instead of just wondering or having to do boring tests). I checked Section 5 of your highly acclaimed guide and it appears that PD is correct. The Cane of Somaria's attack is weak enough that it won't spoil the fun if added to the beginning of a game. Makes me happy. I DO want to have it in the beginning of the game because a lot of the other items destroy it's usefulness.

This is every use I could think of for the Cane of Somaria:

-make a block to set on top of switch
-make a block to throw at something
-make a block to check for holes when walking on an invisible floor
-take out a few weak enemies by making a block explode
-use a block explosion to toggle a switch that's around the corner
-make a block, then dash into it to make it go much farther than throwing it
-make a block to block the path of something

I was thinking it could also be used to put between you and a statue (or something) if there's a hole you need to cross with the dash bounce but the object you want to bounce off isn't close enough to the hole. I haven't tested this one yet but I assume it would work.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sun 3 May 2015 - 21:48

EDIT: Nevermind. Read the edit at the bottom.
Does anyone here who is familiar with extensive Zelda III hacking know what kind of bug would cause Bruce Campbell vs Ganon to not load on a real SNES? I'm building this version of the hack from KGP's 1.1 release, so I assume that this is caused by some Hyrule Magic bug. I have the hole/bug world problem fixed and would now like to test this game out on real hardware, but I can't (because it doesn't work).

Only thing I can think of is that maybe some important data got overwritten by dungeon or item data or something of that nature.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oh wow. I can't believe this. I expanded the ROM and put the new data necessary for the hole fix in the expanded portion. I guess the loading problem must have been one of those file size issues because now that the game is 2MB (instead of some oddball size) it loads on my SNES perfectly. It's like Christmas. (SunGodPortal sheds a single tear)
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 4 May 2015 - 6:22

Yes, real hardware requires an exact file size. It is not that smart to read the expanded space, if the file size is for instance 1.030KB. And yet HM is not that smart to resize the Rom to 2MB, if the standard 1MB size needs more room.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 5 May 2015 - 3:19

I'm preparing to edit the dialogue in Bruce Campbell vs Ganon. I know I can do this in Hyrule Magic and Kruptar. I've experimented with both. Kruptar seems like it would be the better option, but when I load up a Zelda ROM to edit I get the feeling that it is expecting the pointers to be different for certain texts. In the editor it displays certain lines near the end of at least one bank in a fragmented fashion with occasional jibberish. In this specific case I am referring to an unmodified ROM. I assume the dialogue is all messed up when viewing BCvsG in this program because it has been butchered by HM.

What's my best option for revising the text in this game?

Also, good news. KGP was pretty excited about the latest progress. Now he's coming out of "retirement" and will be working on this project as well. With a second hacker it will be nice to see the work load lightened a bit.

It's not too terribly important, but could Bruce Campbell vs Ganon please be removed from the "abandoned hacks" section. It is no longer abandoned. Smile
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 5 May 2015 - 5:49

What's my best option for revising the text in this game?
I always use Hyrule Magic for this. Just be careful not to add to much (ie the text should be of the similar amount as Alttp). And do edit the Triforce dialog (ie make a normal type effect rather than "disappearing text" effect). In the end always recheck/edit the address E0000 back to its original value (check in the original game) to avoid the camera shake bug.

Of course some others prefer Kruptar for this job, but it is a question, how it will react on the already edited rom.

Could Bruce Campbell vs Ganon please be removed from the "abandoned hacks" section. It is no longer abandoned.
There you go (it's now under "in the works"):
https://www.zeldix.net/f27-hacks-in-the-works
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 5 May 2015 - 12:50

Awesome, thanks. I was just afraid that the dialogue editor may have been like a lot of the stuff in HM, occasionally dangerous. LOL

There you go (it's now under "in the works"):
https://www.zeldix.net/f27-hacks-in-the-works

Thanks. Now that the bug world problem is fixed and KGP is taking a more active role this feels like it's really going somewhere.

Also, huge thanks to you and the others around here for your continuous assistance. A few months ago I was thinking "I wonder why I never did pursue that hacking hobby...". I'm feeling pretty awesome right about now. haha Feels great to make notable progress. Being invited to this site changed everything.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Thu 7 May 2015 - 14:29

Anyone know an efficient way to test text changes? Save states are obviously out of the picture. So far it's been:

1) change a bunch of text
2) start a new game from scratch
3) make screenshots of dialogue with issues
4) return to step 1

I can keep going with it this way but I would rather find a better way if there is one.

EDIT: Nevermind the above request. I fell ass-backwards into a brilliant solution when I was explaining my proposed solution to KGP and he misunderstood me. I can just replace the very first text in the game (at Link's house) with whatever I'm trying to test and it will save a ton of time.

Also, does anyone know of any easy way to disable Link's shadow? It would really help when editing the main character sprites. Some times it makes it more difficult to figure out which frame I'm looking at.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Fri 8 May 2015 - 20:35

Does anyone have a list of all of the values that can be used in the monologue editor for sound effects? You know, something like:

22 - boss defeat
23 - sword spin
24 - text blip
25 - block switch
26 - title sword pierce
27 - disappearance spell part 1
28 - wizard move
29 - magic
2A - poof
2B - shock
2C - bee
2D - something good
etc...

I don't want to chart all of these out if I don't have to. I have too many other tasks that are of greater importance at the moment.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Fri 8 May 2015 - 21:14

MathOnNapkins documented the sound effects a while back. I know there's a sounds effect list somewhere in his RAM document (part of his disassembly+docs) which you can find here:

https://www.zeldix.net/t143-disassembly-zelda-docs

Edit:

Here ya go Wink

$012F[0x01] - (Sound)

Sound Effects 2

0x00: none (no change)
0x01: master sword beam
0x02: unintelligble switch noise
0x03: ????? yet another loud thud
0x04: Nutcase soldier getting pissed off
0x05: shooting a fireball (Lynel)
0x06: ?????
0x07: giant metal balls coming out of nodes
0x08: normal enemy taking a big hit
0x09: normal enemy dying
0x0A: collecting rupee
0x0B: collecting single heart
0x0C: text scrolling flute noise
0x0D: single heart filling in on HUD
0x0E: sound of a chest being opened
0x0F: you got an item sound 1

0x10: switching to map sound effect
0x11: menu screen going down
0x12: menu screen going up
0x13: throwing an item
0x14: clink (not sure what it's used for)
0x15: loud thud 1
0x16: loud thud 2
0x17: rats
0x18: dragging something
0x19: zora shooting fireball
0x1A: minor puzzle solved
0x1B: major puzzle solved
0x1C: doing minor damage to enemy
0x1D: taking magic power damage from enemy
0x1E: keese flitting around
0x1F: Link squealing like a bitch when he falls into a hole

0x20: switch menu item
0x21: boss taking damage
0x22: boss dying
0x23: spin attack sound
0x24: switching between different mode 7 map perspectives
0x25: triggering a switch
0x26: Agahnim's lightning
0x27: Agahnim powering up an attack
0x28: Agahnim / Ganon teleporting
0x29: Agahnim shooting a beam
0x2A: tougher enemy taking damage.
0x2B: Link getting electromucuted
0x2C: bees buzzing
0x2D: Major achievement completed (e.g. getting a piece of heart)
0x2E: Major item obtained (e.g. Pendant or Heart Container)
0x2F: obtained small key

0x30: blob popping out of ground
0x31: Moldorm's weird track like noise
0x32: bouncing off a bungie
0x33: short unknown jingle
0x34: Sounds like defunct version of sound 0x35 below. Seems to be unused.
0x35: Sound that plays in response to picking up a heart container during
a boss fight.
0x36: Sound of a beam being fired (Mothula, Wizzrobes, etc).
0x37: Neat sound... consider using as a confirmation (though make sure it's not buggy)
0x38: ...
0x39: ...
0x3C: Obtained mid level item (e.g. bombs from a chest)
0x3D: ...
0x3F: More minor fanfares

Founder

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Fri 8 May 2015 - 21:34

Or you could do like me and copy this into a free monologue space to read the sounds directly in game Wink

Code:
[Window 02][Color 03][1]   S O U N D  [2]     TEST[Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][1]- Sound 01 - [Sound 01][Wait 01][2]- Sound 02 - [Sound 02][Wait 01][3]- Sound 03 - [Sound 03][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 04 - [Sound 04][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 05 - [Sound 05][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 06 - [Sound 06][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 07 - [Sound 07][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 08 - [Sound 08][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 09 - [Sound 09][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 0A - [Sound 0A][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 0B - [Sound 0B][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 0C - [Sound 0C][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 0D - [Sound 0D][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 0E - [Sound 0E][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 0F - [Sound 0F][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 10 - [Sound 10][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 11 - [Sound 11][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 12 - [Sound 12][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 13 - [Sound 13][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 14 - [Sound 14][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 15 - [Sound 15][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 16 - [Sound 16][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 17 - [Sound 17][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 18 - [Sound 18][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 19 - [Sound 19][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 1A - [Sound 1A][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 1B - [Sound 1B][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 1C - [Sound 1C][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 1D - [Sound 1D][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 1E - [Sound 1E][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 1F - [Sound 1F][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 20 - [Sound 20][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 21 - [Sound 21][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 22 - [Sound 22][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 23 - [Sound 23][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 24 - [Sound 24][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 25 - [Sound 25][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 26 - [Sound 26][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 27 - [Sound 27][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 28 - [Sound 28][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 29 - [Sound 29][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 2A - [Sound 2A][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 2B - [Sound 2B][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 2C - [Sound 2C][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 2D - [Sound 2D][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 2E - [Sound 2E][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 2F - [Sound 2F][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 30 - [Sound 30][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 31 - [Sound 31][Wait 01][Scroll]- Sound 32 - [Sound 32]

Wink

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 9 May 2015 - 0:03

Cool. Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Very Happy

Or you could do like me and copy this into a free monologue space to read the sounds directly in game  Wink

Good idea. Should be very helpful. And thanks for the vid. Good for reference. Once I realized how easy it was to put sounds into the text I just knew I had to take advantage of it.

Example: guy tries to pick up chick, guy gets rejected in a humiliating manner[sound 22]

Example: Man, my stomach is killing me.[sound 18]
lol
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat 9 May 2015 - 10:52

Yes its very amazing to use sounds at the end of sentences.

Like for exemple:

The door is locked[Sound13] which I've used in more then one place in the mansion dungeon.

And also...

Code:
[Window 02][Color 03][Sound 0C][Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][1][Speed 09]???£ [Sound 16]My [Sound 14]god![Sound 1A] [2]It's[Sound 08] like[Sound 16] a [Sound 11]party [Sound 13][3]in[Sound 14] my [Sound 0A]mouth [Sound 1E]and [Sound 1C][Scroll]everyone's[Sound 0B] invited.[Sound 0D][Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][3][Speed 05][Name]£ WHATT??![Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][1][Speed 09]???£ You [Sound 05][2]    stupid [Sound 15][3]  squirrel![Sound 25][Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][3][Speed 06][Name]£ ... !!!!![Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][1][Speed 09]???£ Stupid[Sound 1C] [2]      like[Sound 12] [3]    a[Sound 13] fox![Sound 17][Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][1]???£ I'd [Sound 18]kill[Sound 09] [2]      you[Sound 01][3] if[Sound 1E] I[Sound 1F] had [Sound 02]my [Sound 20]gun![Sound 19][Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][2][Speed 06][Name]£ ...What [3]the hell was that?![Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][1][Speed 09]???£ No[Sound 0B] offense.[Sound 11][Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][3][Speed 06][Name]£ None taken.[Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][1][Speed 09]???£ Maybe [Sound 16]we [Sound 13]can [Sound 21][2]build [Sound 18]a [Sound 06]fire, [Sound 28][3]sing [Sound 31]a [Sound 3B]couple [Sound 23][Scroll]of [Sound 1C]songs![Sound 0A][Waitkey][Scroll][Scroll][Scroll][2][Speed 06][Name]£ I'LL PASS,[3]THANK YOU!!

LOL

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kgp4death Sat 9 May 2015 - 21:47

wow seph has a weirdo sense of humor just like me.....sungodportal thanks for getting my rom out of abandoned section probably would have pissed me off seeing it there........now for my question anyone see the hexlocation for the speed of an arrow was thinking of converting arrows to shotgun shells

kgp4death

Since : 2015-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sun 10 May 2015 - 0:36

sungodportal thanks for getting my rom out of abandoned section probably would have pissed me off seeing it there

I know it always bothered me seeing it there. Even though it seemed like there was still some work to be done to it, I didn't think it belonged in the same category as a some of those other practically unplayable and obviously unfinished hacks. The screenshots in that section are quite deceptive. But whatever. Ash will have his revenge soon enough. Smile
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon 11 May 2015 - 1:18

kgp4death wrote:wow seph has a weirdo sense of humor just like me.....
We're the last bastion of the human race. The weirdos that need to exist to make spoof hacks so the world is a better place Very Happy

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Mon 11 May 2015 - 13:38

Anybody know what causes that bug where the screen shake spazzes out during the first boss fight? I'm not sure how that could have gotten bugged when all I've done is text changes. I know I've seen people talking about this around here before but I'm not sure where.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 11 May 2015 - 14:25

SunGodPortal wrote:Anybody know what causes that bug where the screen shake spazzes out during the first boss fight? I'm not sure how that could have gotten bugged when all I've done is text changes. I know I've seen people talking about this around here before but I'm not sure where.
SGP, this bug is old. I thought you know this bug and its fix already. HM writes 2 bytes from editing monologues into the next bank, which controls the camera shake: when Armos pounds, or Ganon pounds or torches move walls.

From my Hex addresses Document:

6.) Camera shake when Armos pounds or Ganon pounds or walls moves (found by MathOnNapkins)

fixed location on address E8000 (no header)
bytes 00 and 01 must have the value 01 FF (normal shake)
false shake 7F 80 (done by Hyrule Magic)

fixed location on address E8200 (with header)
bytes 00 and 01 must have the value 01 FF (normal shake)
false shake 7F 80 (done by Hyrule Magic)

This basically means that after each monologue (text) edit, you need to open the rom in hex separately (while it is closed in HM) and check the address E8000.

Ironically the value 7F ends the monologue, but it is written 1 byte into the next bank. So it now shakes the picture with the value 7F, which is fatal (bugs/freezes the picture). Normal shake must have the value 01. Followed by FF (end/empty).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by kgp4death Mon 11 May 2015 - 15:46

damn that bug is still there that is like 8 years old, whats up with hyrule magic does the author not want us fixing it or can no one contact author, or other 2 people in about tab......might be possible to decompile it

kgp4death

Since : 2015-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Mon 11 May 2015 - 16:12

SGP, this bug is old. I thought you know this bug and its fix already.

Like I said, I knew I'd seen it somewhere around here before.

damn that bug is still there that is like 8 years old, whats up with hyrule magic does the author not want us fixing it or can no one contact author, or other 2 people in about tab......might be possible to decompile it

Yeah I hate HM. Sometimes I want to burn it to a disc just so I can have the satisfaction of destroying it. Then I would just go right back to using it again...
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next