MSU1 PCM swaps thread

Go down

MSU1 PCM swaps thread Empty MSU1 PCM swaps thread

Post by KiddoCabbusses Fri 21 Aug 2015 - 0:06

Hey, I've been taking part in and enjoying messing around with MSU1 projects for a bit now.

That being said, there are many times when I'd play a MSU1 hack and think of a particular track something like "This remix doesn't really fit in with this scene/the other parts of the soundtrack" or some other thoughts. This even goes for the Super Mario World MSU1 hack which I handled selecting tracks for myself. Razz

With that in mind I figured I'd make this thread, where I post some alternative PCMs, usually for select pieces of a MSU1 set. Usually these were caused by my having one of those moments and deciding to set up the alternative track myself for my personal set. I usually search out a FLAC or other high-quality rip of an audio source before working on these, and make serious attempts at having clean loops without clipping. That being said, these may not be perfect. Still, hopefully they will please someone.

If anyone would like to use this thread to request a PCM (or post their own PCMs), that's fine by me.

F-Zero:
Tony Thai's X-style Red Canyon (For Track 08)

Tony Thai's X-style Silence (For Track 10)

Tony Thai's X-style Title Screen (for Track 04)

"Red Canyon" Arrange from the Super Famicom Game Music album (for Track 8)

"Mute City" Arrange from the Super Famicom Game Music album (for Track 14)

Mega Man X:
"Zero" theme from Mega Man X6 (for Track 22)

"Get Through the Dark" from ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with TOSHIAKI OHTSUBO (for Track 04)

"Stealth Lizard" from Maverick Rising by OCRemix (For Track 02)

Super Mario World:
XOC'x "Underwater" remix (for Track 03)

XOC's "Castle" remix (for Track 08)

( !!! WIP !!! ) Edited version of Super Mario World Jazz Soundtrack "Cave" arrange - attempt to take out the Jazz part to give the track a feel closer to original flavor. (For Track 06)
You may preview this on YouTube.

Castle - Mario Teaches Typing 2 (SGM Soundfont) (For Track 08)

Outside - Mario Teaches Typing 2 (SGM Soundfont) (For Track 30)

Select - Mario Teaches Typing 2 (SGM Soundfont) (For Track 31)

Underwater - Mario Teaches Typing 2 (SGM Soundfont) (For Track 03)

Hightail Falls Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (For Track 01)

More will be edited into this post as they come.

Last edited by KiddoCabbusses on Mon 31 Aug 2015 - 23:10; edited 9 times in total

KiddoCabbusses
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2015-08-20

Back to top Go down

MSU1 PCM swaps thread Empty Re: MSU1 PCM swaps thread

Post by kurrono Fri 21 Aug 2015 - 14:52

Im still around..i check this site almost everyday..but u Conn and DS u got busy with ur lifes no more new msu for now..i try to get topgear 1st and super ghouls and ghost found some addresses that i manage toswitch to title screen..what is the best debugger u use Conn snes9x? I still need to know the opcodes to start hacking the game..i thought the song are in one address. And just changing the last end like 01 02 or 03?
kurrono
kurrono

MSU1 PCM swaps thread Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by KiddoCabbusses Fri 21 Aug 2015 - 15:15

Um... I don't think this thread is the place to ask Con for hacking/coding advice. Sorries.

KiddoCabbusses
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 7:11

Kiddo's right, it's a thread for pcm:s. As for coding stuff, I'm done, and happy that I completed my tasks, esp. on bszelda, AST, all-in. The only stuff remaining for me is SePH's Conker project.
It takes quite a lot experience to do asm, I do it for 14 years now, and cannot give a crash course. I suggest watching DS:s videos first:
https://www.zeldix.net/t790-top-gear-2-msu-1-making-of-videos
Also msu is a bit trickery when it comes to details, like setting a msu busy flag and such stuff. I hope you understand that the people who are capable to program it, are going to program their favorite games first and then maybe popular games - like DKC1 or SF2. There are so many snes games that the few hackers surely cannot address all requests.

That said, I suggest using this thread only for Kiddo's matter. If you have further questions/requests, please start an own thread.
Conn
Conn

MSU1 PCM swaps thread Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Mon 24 Aug 2015 - 11:07

I saw the videos..about pcms is easy to do..the only thing is about looping..Colines can do that for me..but i say for 14 yrs of asm thats quite enough experience man..good job Conn.. I admire ur abilities on hacking games..
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by KiddoCabbusses Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 1:43

kurrono wrote:about pcms is easy to do..the only thing is about looping..

My retort to this is how oversimplified you make it sound. "If you're just ripping lossy Mp3s off YouTube vids to make PCMs out of, you're wasting the MSU1's potential."
Generally, if you want MSU1 tracks to sound the best they can and be the easiest to edit cleanly, you would want to find either exact audio copy rips like redbook, FLAC or APE (in the case of a CD album) or source game music files (If, say, you wanted to use some playstation song.)

Depending on what you want to use, this may be very difficult to find. You may even need to simply fork over cash and just buy the assets.

It certainly wasn't easy for me to dig up a lossless FLAC rip of Rockman X Alph-lyla, but I didn't touch any work on Mega Man X PCMs until I did, because I did not want to settle for a lossy-compression rip like MP3 unless I absolutely had to.
(And I was HIGHLY concerned that several of Mega Man X MSU1's tracks are just described in the readme as "remixes taken from YouTube" - especially when some are clearly OCRemixes, or in one case one of the Alph-lyla tracks, and the implications are that the person who made the PCMs didn't put in enough consideration to research to see if higher-quality track versions were available.)

Not to mention that several of my MSU1 PCMs (Mostly in the Super Mario World MSU1 set) are in fact heavily edited in ways quite more elaborate than simply setting a loop point. Probably the best example I can think of off the top of my head is the credits music which had to be fine-tuned with crops and slight tempo adjustments at the beginning in order to smoothly sync with the game credits. (There's also the voice parts in the Bowser battle, which were carefully edited to give the audio-illusion that the voices were playing over the SPC zoom-in/zoom-out effect.)
Also, yeah, loop points in digitial audio are very difficult to define unless the song was intentionally made with one or has a clearly apparent pause-break to work with. There's several tracks I've worked on that I still want to improve regarding this point.

All in all this makes using pre-existing music challenging to apply to MSU1 - that is, if you actually want to hold a quality standard, which I do.

So, this prompts me to ask this question to other folks - where do you get your source music for a potential MSU1 project?

KiddoCabbusses
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 7:05

So, this prompts me to ask this question to other folks - where do you get your source music for a potential MSU1 project?
You're my dealer MSU1 PCM swaps thread Newt10 - at least for bszelda, ast and smw.
Dunno, guess you'll have to buy the OST like you did with Koji Kondo for AST.
If you find a good flac on youtube, I think the best you can do is to contact the author to get an unconverted copy.
Conn
Conn

MSU1 PCM swaps thread Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 13:04

That will be. Until i get sd2snes when i found out my music are so low ill manage...about losing potential..ill find the potential..u got ur ways. Of doin..i got mines...no matter
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Thu 27 Aug 2015 - 13:14

And some other point all games has no rips or remixes. U have to make them so where. U goin to get ape or flac if there no music available..u have to make it...not all games have music like that..u know it
kurrono
kurrono

Back to top Go down

Post by ifrit05 Sat 26 Sep 2015 - 22:31

I went ahead and made a PCM pack of the audio from A Link Between Worlds to use with ALttP.

It's not a line in recording, but a straight game rip using the actual dspadpcm files from the game itself, all looped properly. (vgmstream is love, vgmstream is life).

The title is pretty rough and I'm working on it, also some songs from the original game just don't have equivalents in ALBW, so I chose the best ones that fit respectively in my opinion.

Let me know what you think.

ifrit05
Newcomer

Since : 2015-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KiddoCabbusses Thu 1 Oct 2015 - 1:56

So I went and got a bit more ambitious with some PCM swap ideas and ended up iwth this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYfu-ng6HxI

F-Zero MSU1 Takenobu/Daytona set, replaces the F-Zero music with music from Daytona USA 1, 2, 2001, Sega Rally Championship, and misc. Takenobu Mitsuyoshi vocal work.

Currently considered WIP because I haven't decided where to use the "Ridge Racer" track I was suggested.

KiddoCabbusses
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Sun 24 Jan 2016 - 18:11

I'd like to put in a request for an alternate track, this seems to be the right place to do so. If not apologies.

Darkshock's new TMNT4 hack is great, but the garage band sounding version of the intro theme didnt fit too well, alternate tracks for the original 89 opening theme, or the pizza power theme in the arcade (originally coming out of our shells tour) would be pretty sweet. I've tried figuring out the format of the PCM files in my audio editor but haven't had much luck sorting it out.

I'd be happy to do this myself as well with a little education on the topic.
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Sun 24 Jan 2016 - 19:03

I took some initiative and tried to replace the file myself. It works decently well with the song trimmed down, and its not perfect but I think it is an improvement:

http://www.megafileupload.com/ixWs/tmnt4_msu1-250.zip

Just replace the file in Darkshock's pack with this one. Its tested on SD2SNES, not higan so I don't know if it will be proper volume on an emulator.
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 0:11

Here is a pcm swap for PepilloPEV's Contra III: The Alien Wars MSU-1 hack.

It swaps the arrangement of the original Contra's first stage theme out for Luis Manuel Tanda Jiménez's orchestral arrangement of Contra III's first stage (his arrangement for the final stage music is already used in the default pcm set).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06mMcw9-g0

I have limited the volume similar to the other tracks in the default set so sound effects are not drowned out, set a proper loop point, and tested on a SD2SNES cartridge with corrected MSU-1 volume handling.

https://uploadfiles.io/vssy9

Replace the existing c3taw-msu1-1.pcm in the folder with the one from the link, and you'll be set.

Last edited by Arasoi on Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 0:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 5:25

Here are 2 pcm swaps for Darkshock's TMNT: Turtles in Time MSU-1 hack.

The first track replaces the cover rendition of the '87 cartoon show intro with the original song, edited to match the game's original introduction sequence.

The second replaces the cover rendition of "Pizza Power" for the credits roll with the original, with appropriate edits so the song fits in the time space of the credits (about 1 minute).

I have limited the volume similar to the other tracks in the default set so sound effects are not drowned out, set a proper loop point, and tested on a SD2SNES cartridge with corrected MSU-1 volume handling.

https://ufile.io/4w3a1

For the intro music, replace tmnt4_msu1-250.pcm in the default pcm pack. For the credits music, tmnt4_msu1-42.pcm.
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down