Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter)

Go down

Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter) Empty Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter)

Post by aacroke on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 3:01

I'm looking to make a rebalanced version, and increase the amount of findables/collectibles in Zelda 3. To that end, I'm first looking to increase the number of full Hearts Link can carry from 20 to 30, and have the extra row of hearts displayed in the HUD.

I intend to add an additional 8 heart pieces and 8 heart containers to be found at various locations to bring the total to 30.

Lastly (and I really want to know this one for other hacks), I want to modify the game such that loading from a saved file starts Link with full health instead of half.

What do I need to do to achieve this? I'm fairly new to ROM hacking and unfamiliar with ASM, but willing to learn what I need to know.

P.S.: Would Faeries/Medicines/etc. need to be modified to refill to 30 or do they refill to a variable max? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

aacroke
Bee
Bee

Since : 2016-09-14

Back to top Go down

Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter) Empty Re: Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter)

Post by Conn on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 6:36

Hearts are saved on 7ef36b, each heart adds 08, giving a max of d20, in hex: h14*h08=hA0.
You need to increase this to hF0=d30; adding another row in the hud should be do-able...

Without having ever done asm, this is hardly to reach for you I think Sad
Conn
Conn

Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter) Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter) Empty Re: Looking to modify the Hearts HUD (Health meter)

Post by aacroke on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 8:34

I had pretty much assumed it would be nightmarish-to-impossible. Thanks for the info!

the game will simply not allow the max value to exceed 22 hearts

How about 22 hearts? There seems to be enough room on the HUD and on the file loading screen to fit an eleventh heart in each row. How can I make it draw the extra two hearts?

As well, is there anything special I need to do before simply plunking 8 more heart pieces into various maps in Hyrule Magic?

And lastly, I'd still love to know how to make save files load with full health if possible.

aacroke
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by aacroke on Wed 14 Sep 2016 - 9:20

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all of the information you provided.

We can't always get what we want with this kind of stuff, but it's nice to know there are people who will help to explain why rather than exercising douchebaggotry.

Thanks again to Puzzledude!

aacroke
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by aacroke on Thu 15 Sep 2016 - 12:58

I'm going to take that one question and open a thread with it so anyone can contribute.

Thanks again!

aacroke
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum