Ys III - Wanderers from Ys

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ys III - Wanderers from Ys Empty Ys III - Wanderers from Ys

PepilloPEV MSU1 Patch v1.2.1 FINAL:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2fckoo417lsb71x/ys3-msu1-patch-pepillopev-v1.2.1.zip/file

edale Ys III Perfect Collection Album
https://mega.nz/#!zBBEXBZZ!b2HVXomsX0u4KgbP7IgdlzNxp0xOGE_CjUbd5egRDJg

edale Wanderers from Ys TG-CD OST:
https://mega.nz/#!zFpViQAI!TEXwQnmGheYSD4GciSTZeZQPeYPKTeIXrd68X0hg9mo

Rockslam Ys III PS2 OST PCMs (fixed by edale)
https://mega.nz/#!CNZlSIYZ!uUhPaoqSjBeMSLawx7GXeosuo352Q7pxEIHEEkuFlmU

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 25 May 2020 - 19:16; edited 27 times in total
pev

Ys III - Wanderers from Ys Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Ys III - Wanderers from Ys :: Comments

Conn

Post Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 18:16 by Conn

Oh wow, through you and K I always get knowledge of SNES games I never heard about.
This is an interesting title when watching the video, congrats for this and Valkyrie Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 18:18 by pev

Aside from shooters, I have a thing for JRPGs. Ys is one of my all time favorites.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 20:13 by Conn

Yes, it is indeed hard to decide whether it is a RPG or Jump 'n Run... maybe a bit like Zelda 2, NES.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 20:15 by pev

Yeah, JRPGs are more real time combat (as opposed to turn based). Yeah, I can see this game as a Zelda 2 in a way.

Back to top Go down

smokemonster

Post Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 23:33 by smokemonster

Awesome work on this one! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 17:20 by PersianImm0rtal

No voice acting? :[

Back to top Go down

smokemonster

Post Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 18:03 by smokemonster

Seriously, that's your comment? No

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 18:10 by PersianImm0rtal

smokemonster wrote:Seriously, that's your comment? No

I am thankful for another version of the game to play, even though I like the SNES sounding music the most... I am just saying the TurboGrafx CD version had a lot of voice acting parts (not everywhere), seems like you could get some of those cut scenes back with the MSU1. Is it not possible?

See here: https://youtu.be/UU-a4biySBg?t=25m8s

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 22:30 by pev

PersianImm0rtal, as I explained in my YouTube page, the snes version is not coded in the same manner as the TG-16 one. The TG-16 version used the voice acting mixed in with the 'red book' audio while the snes one uses text dialogue.

While, it is possible to remove the text dialogue and, possibly, McGuyver some code to trigger the mixed in 'voice acting', believe me, I would do it. The thought has crossed my mind, but, at this moment, two things stand in the way.

#1 Personal life is more important to me (I don't have the time to dedicate learning snes programming full time. So at this moment, unlike Liam Neeson, I do not have those 'particular set of skills' to make the magic happen at this moment in time).

#2 Even if I possessed these 'particular set of skills', I would not bother since the voice acting was horrible for Ys III. The voice acting was waaaay better on the Ys Book I and II by a huuuge milestone. This being, my own opinion, I would not bother.

As I tell everyone who makes criticisms (good or bad), you are more than welcome to make 'your dream' come true. This is how I started myself. Some of my favorite games got no MSU patch love like Final Fight 1and2, Contra 3, YsIII, Axelay, UNSquadron, etc (my list is still growing)... Rather than complain, guess what? I did my research, incredible people here helped me out during my learning process, and tried it myself. I welcome you to do the same. I highly encourage it. We need people that want to contribute more to this wonderful community, not just add more requests.

But, in the end, I respect your criticism and tastes. Don't take this the wrong way. I have not had a very good week and, believe me, I am trying my best to be as honest and to the point. All the games I'm doing are from my favorite games on the snes. I post my source code for all the patches for everyone to learn the same way I did (just as Conn and Kurrono taught me).

I'm just tired of the complaints but when I try to offer the 'man how to fish for himself', no one takes the offer. Most just want to take the fish, but do not want to take the mantle of becoming a fisherman and obtain the satisfaction of accomplishing something for themselves.

Ok, now, with this out of the way, I can return back to normal (my Hulk mode is over now).

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 0:50 by PersianImm0rtal

Thanks for the reply. I know I am just an annoying request guy. I would do it myself too, but I have no idea how to code or program or where to start, and I don't think i would be very good at it.

I would make it myself if I knew how.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 0:51 by PersianImm0rtal

Thanks for the reply. I know I am just an annoying request guy. I would do it myself too, but I have no idea how to code or program or where to start, and I don't think i would be very good at it.

I would make it myself if I knew how. At least it is cool to know that is possible. Maybe one day someone will come along and make it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 8:23 by Conn

#2 Even if I possessed these 'particular set of skills', I would not bother since the voice acting was horrible for Ys III.
Oh wow... if you ever want to go down that road and casting voice actors, believe a warning from a veteran on this: it is horrible. For BS Zelda AST several people sent in voice samples, and I needed 2 years to gather them all together. Most difficult is to find female actors since romhacking (speaking of facts and not being sexist) a male dominated domain. I had much luck finding Kira buckland (who is a professional actress making animes) lending her voice for Zelda. She as well did the zelda part in the msu video of alttp.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 18:53 by Shiryu

Video up! Another personal favourite (despite the incredible difficulty). Thanks PepilloPEV.

- Video removed and relocated/reposted as the main video -

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 4:25 by edale

Conn wrote:Yes, it is indeed hard to decide whether it is a RPG or Jump 'n Run... maybe a bit like Zelda 2, NES.
The Ys series, as a whole, would technically be classified as Action RPG, and while Ys 3 as more of a platformer is kinda the black sheep of the family (at least until Oath in Falgara redeemed it), it's SNES and TG16 iterations did maintain enough of the RPG elements of the Ys series that I'd say it would still classify as Action RPG.

Ys 3's development is actually a funny story. Falcom wasn't developing a Ys game at all, they were developing a generic hack'n'slash platformer, and just has a red-haired character model as the protagonist until a game title and permanent protagonist could be determined. When the deal for the title they wanted fell through, they had all the work done on the game, it was like 90% finished, so one of the dev team said "why not just make it a Ys game?" So they did. This is why Ys 3 is so different from the other Ys games, and why the story is so generic for a series that usually excels at the story aspect.
pepillopev wrote:Yeah, JRPGs are more real time combat (as opposed to turn based). Yeah, I can see this game as a Zelda 2 in a way.
Erm, I can point to a few (thousand) examples of JRPGs with turn-based combat. I'll just point out Final Fantasy 1-10 and the entire Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior series as the most well-known ones though.

@pepillopev If you plan on doing an MSU-1 mod for any of the other SNES Ys games (Ys IV or Ys V... not Expert, only the regular one has an English translation), let me know and I'd be more than happy to help with the audio work. You can check out the Dancing Mad FFVI MSU-1 mod for examples of my audio work:
https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/releases
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16077.0
https://www.zeldix.net/t1335-final-fantasy-3-dancing-mad-final-beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xo5oQWjXP8&index=5&list=PL87wlGy_nuTP9OLnrFUWB4U9AfUCiaBmS (it was NOT easy to get that music timed so well, LOTS of editing needed)
Sadly, I lack the skills to handle the coding aspect of an MSU-1 mod.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 10:52 by pev

@edale I guess I misunderstood what the premise of a JRPG meant. To me, I was under the impression that JRPGs were just games that you can freely move around and fight in real-time but in a RPG like setting (leveling up, not worrying about taking turns between the character and monsters in a slow setting). Not sure why these games were labeled as JRPG (J-for Japan, I guess?). Should have just been labeled, like you said Action RPGs. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 11:34 by Conn

For me,
RPG:s are round based like FF3, Lufia
ARPG (Action RPG:s): not round-based like Zelda (you need to dodge and attack yourself
JRPG (Jump'n Run RPG:s): like YS3, a mixture between Jump'n Run (Platform) and RPG (level up)... at least I understood J as Jump 'n Run... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 11:36 by pev

@Conn I understood J as for Japan since these games are very popular in that country. Hmm, then, I was way out of the ballpark in understanding this one. Lol.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 12:05 by edale

JRPG = Japanese RPG.

It goes back to the olden times (late 80's/early 90's), when no non-Japanese company was capable of making a decent video game, and they especially couldn't make a good RPG. If you were getting JRPG, you knew you were getting a game of quality (and yes, as lame as FF1 is by today's standards, it was an AMAZING achievement at the time).

Action RPGs... Are actually kinda the norm for RPGs these days. RPGs that have a battle system more like an action game that completely does away with the turn-based system. A prime example of a good ARPG would be any of the newer Ys games (6, 7 , 8, Origins, Oath in Felgara, Memories of Celceta).

@pepillopev What did you normalize the audio to for your PCMs for this? -18dB?

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 13:15 by Conn

I did some research and j is really Japan in jrpg, but that's kind of a stupid classification in my eyes, since almost all companies for snes roms are Japanese. Following this logic also zelda and super mario rpg are jrpg...

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 13:30 by pev

@Conn,@edale I appreciate both your contributions to this topic. At least, now, I have a better understanding regarding the JRPG classification.

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 13:34 by Relikk

Conn wrote:I did some research and j is really Japan in jrpg, but that's kind of a stupid classification in my eyes, since almost all companies for snes roms are Japanese. Following this logic also zelda and super mario rpg are jrpg...

Yeah but, not all RPG's came from Japanese developers. Like edale was saying, the term originated to differentiate between the mostly mediocre Western developed RPG's of the time, and the mostly superior Japanese developed RPG's.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 17:21 by Conn

You easily should be able to split this messages from this topic with quick mod tools at the bottom of this page into a new topic (general discussion?). If  you have problems let me know Wink

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 20 Apr 2018 - 3:08 by edale

Hmmm... You don't have any SPC fallback code to play SPC audio when a PCM isn't present.

That's really something you should have.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 20 Apr 2018 - 7:15 by pev

@edale It does have SPC fallback code. Rename the file ys3-msu1.msu to ys3-msu1.ms_ and then reopen the ROM in your favorite emulator (tada! it has spc audio! what miracle is this?). Now, if you patched this game on a headered ROM and it miraculously works but not at a 100%, then that is something on your end, not mine.
Smile

Also spc fallback is not always possible on every ROM (some games, like Donkey Kong Country and Darius Twin its just not possible to do spc audio mute in traditional ways). Later titles in the SNES library are going toward the later. So don't expect msu coders to always have this. I try, if possible. In this case, Ys3 has SPC fallback.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next