YS V msu

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

YS V msu - Page 2 Empty Re: YS V msu

Post by edale Sun 20 May 2018 - 22:06

When I'm done converting all the PS2 tracks, all I'll need to do is duplicate the column, and relabel as "PS2 Track", lol.

Have I mentioned my OCD before? Heh, guess it is kinda obvious when I'm working on a project like this, lol. Probably my sleeping problems too, given how fast I churn this stuff out, lol.

edale

YS V msu - Page 2 Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sun 20 May 2018 - 22:11

@edale I figured as much, lol. I will let you finish the PCMs, then. As before, no need for me to re-invent the wheel. I'm free to do other things now.

pev

YS V msu - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 21 May 2018 - 5:49

Were you able to play through find/map all other themes in the meanwhile (like digest, catch the record, etc)?
Conn
Conn

YS V msu - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 21 May 2018 - 13:43

Conn wrote:Were you able to play through find/map all other themes in the meanwhile (like digest, catch the record, etc)?
Those tracks haven't been added to the tracklist yet, so I assume they're still being located.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 21 May 2018 - 13:56

@edale, @Conn Yup, still have to play through the game. Every time I get to sit down and play, life calls. I'm currently half way through the game (so far discovered Misty Lake Rain/NoRain, updated that to the list). Eventually, I will have some time to myself to finish the game.

Also, discovered that the boss dying pcm has to be short, otherwise, game crashes when set not to Loop in ASM (found the sweet spot with my custom boss dying PCM).

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 22 May 2018 - 1:24

OK, I've finished up the all PS2 PCM's that have been mapped currently.

I have the following tracks remaining to place as soon as they're mapped:

Scheme the Madness I
The Secret Experience
Vanishing World
Theme of Adol

And 4 tracks from the PS2 version that don't have SNES equivalents. One of which is a voiced (hummed really) version of Niena's Melody.

This leaves roughly 20 SNES tracks not covered yet (I haven't looked through pepillopev's stuff yet).

I'm gonna look through the orchestrated albums now and see if any of the missing tracks are covered.

Next step after that? YouTube, hopefully find some passable remasters.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 22 May 2018 - 18:37

OK, turns out one of the Falcom released albums actually does have all the songs on it (only one I'm not sure on is Lost Kingdom II), and better yet, they're all pretty much identical quality and fidelity to the PS2 copies.

So once I'm done converting those, I'll just need to worry about SFX, and I believe pepillopev said he had a bunch of those done already (still need to go through his stuff, lol).

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 23 May 2018 - 14:09

@edale Can you send me a link for the PCMs you already worked on?

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Wed 23 May 2018 - 19:30

https://mega.nz/#!iIYTVSbL!KDr6s7zZC-oiDs1lcbN_IZi7b3Iu3CrqAVgPj385xFA

That's what I got atm.

Did you mark both the Misty Lake tracks as converted in the spreadsheet? Also, is the Misty Lake (raining) literally just Misty Lake with a rain SFX added? (I'd need to see that part in-game to select the most appropriate rain SFX to add)

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 23 May 2018 - 19:41

@edale Yes, I marked them since I did that part already (using the SPC version, as I could not find a PS2 version of that theme).

It is just Misty Rain music (with rain fx mixed in) and the other is Misty Rain (with no rain fx mixed in). Both SPC Misty Rain themes are in the PCM samples I provided for you.

Anyway, you can view it here @ the 45:47 mark (with Rain):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVP2Xx87ZQE

AND

After killing Beast Hydorr @ 56:40 mark (without Rain):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVP2Xx87ZQE

I'll leave it up to you if you want to use my Misty Rain SPC samples or make your own. If you want just the rain FX, I can provide you the audacity AUP file with just the rain FX for you to use. Or, just use your own (I know you are sometimes picky in using your own stuff). Either way, I won't be offended by your choice. It is a team effort, after all.

Wink

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Wed 23 May 2018 - 22:03

I've already got a remastered track of comparable quality to the PS2 track to use for Misty Rain (and everything else not covered by the PS2 release), from this album:
https://vgmdb.net/album/1718

If I was going to go with a SPC rain effect, I'd rip the rain effect from FFVI's Slam Shuffle (Zozo's Theme), as it's a very good one. I'm more the type to skim through free audio sample websites to find the most fitting pieces (and I'll mix multiple together to get the exact effect I'm looking for if necessary, had some... fun... making the burning building SFX for FFVI, needed to combine and edit 6 different fire effects to get the "in the middle of a burning house" feel just right, complete with slowly collapsing foundations). The real trick is in matching up the loop points of the music and SFX while keeping it sounding organic.

Now for this one... looks like a light/medium rainfall over a lake style of SFX will work best. Maybe some frogs croaking in the background as well (I'm tempted to make them the budweiser frogs, lol).

It's not so much "picky about using my own stuff" as me looking as a track/sfx and thinking... "I can make that better." (and let's face it, the sample you used for that wildcat growl didn't sound like a cat at all)

What's the point of doing the MSU-1 mod if we don't push the audio fidelity to the limit? Wink And I'm a big fan of including realistic ambient sounds when appropriate, improves immersion.

Last edited by edale on Wed 23 May 2018 - 22:39; edited 1 time in total

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 23 May 2018 - 22:06

I agree completely, but that does not change the fact that you are picky. It’s not a bad thing. It’s actually good in this case.

Wink

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Wed 23 May 2018 - 22:40

The OCD must be satisfied! lol.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Wed 23 May 2018 - 22:41

Indeed, my friend. Indeed.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 27 May 2018 - 0:08

Well crap. The remaster of Misty Lake I have has the rain effect included already...

I'm going to have to see if I can't find another source. Was the version you did just an SPC rip?

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sun 27 May 2018 - 0:11

Yup, just a SPC rip.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 27 May 2018 - 1:33

OK, Misty Lake done with this remaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6ZUoPfOaM
(which is apparently the only fan-remaster done ever for this track)

This means the song's going to have a slightly different feel to the rest of the tracks.

And for the rain... I combined not 2, not 3, but 4 separate SFX tracks to get everything to fall in place how I wanted it. The biggest issue was in deciding how loud to make the rain in relation to the music.

So now I have to dig into Lost Kingdom to see if Part II is included in the track, or if I'm going to have to settle for an SPC rip. Then converting the last few tracks that haven't been mapped yet.

Then the SFX clips... Gonna have to see how the ones pepillopev did sound and see what's happening when they're called in-game to see where I stand on those.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sun 27 May 2018 - 13:23

@edale Nice to see you are progressing nicely through the PCM process. Keep up the good work.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sun 27 May 2018 - 19:33

pepillopev wrote:@edale Nice to see you are progressing nicely through the PCM process. Keep up the good work.
Honestly... I should have been done days ago, but things have been a bit hectic IRL, and I think I might be starting to burn-out from all the audio work I've been doing.

After I finish this project up I'm probably going to take a week or two to just play some games for playing games sake (really wanna get back into FFXV, I've had it since release day for the PC version, but I'm only in chapter 3 atm because I got distracted by all the MSU work) before I start working on the Earthbound MSU-1 project.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 28 May 2018 - 3:25

Here's a thought... If track 88 is actually an unused track... couldn't we locate the track data for track 88, zero it all out, and use that track ID for a soft-mute?

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 28 May 2018 - 8:41

Briefly checked and crashed. But let's wait for pev's confirmation.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

YS V msu - Page 2 Empty YS V msu

Post by pev Mon 28 May 2018 - 8:52

It’s just an ominous theme that has not yet played in my run. The Video Game Music lists it as unused but it is present in the ROM.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 28 May 2018 - 20:36

https://mega.nz/#!3JZXyTRR!u9Enftf2aFSS9aY8Ntyldc-ItMgAD_O5Sl61lWyWAcU

All the Ys V music tracks converted to PCM, including the ones not mapped yet (there's 7 of them). I'm still looking into getting a remaster of "Judgement Bells" made with more realistic sounding church bells.

No SFX tracks yet.

I know it has to exist, but I'm not having any luck locating it. Does anyone know where I can get sound-clips of church bells covering a full octave with each bell only ringing once (basically, 1 of each note in the octave scale allowing the sound to fade completely after each note, preferably with each note in a separate clip). If I can find that, I can probably whip together a (lousy) remaster of the thing myself.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 5:13

Quick update.

I'm playing through Ys V on an unmodded ROM (well, English patched, but no MSU) both to try and track down the track IDs for the unmapped tracks (I'm monitoring $7E0384, 1 byte), and to see:
-what each SFX track is
-the area it's in
-what's going on when the SFX plays
Before making each SFX track.

Here's some of the SFX tracks I've done so far (wav files, so you can just stream them rather than needing to download them):
Waterfall - https://mega.nz/#!aABEQLjA!1WQLs0TSlmAlVg1O4Z4O0zG3vbW9oQJ--H4TQ-4yBGU
6 different effects in this one. I was starting to get a little frustrated honestly. Damn near decided to go on a 45 minute drive to the base of Niagara Falls (I live in Buffalo) to record something decent myself, but finally got something I'd expect from those types of waterfalls.

Sandstorm (on a raft floating on a river):
https://mega.nz/#!KZRT2IAJ!gdaeW3QXlDh-2caF5TZRgvLXSAb9_dGYe1zDfTNW8is
pepillopev's sandstorm track for a nice particulate sound, some nice gusting wind effects, and crashing waves.

@pepillopev have you tried $255 as a softmute song ID? I've seen the song ID jump to that a few times, and it seems to be either:
A: when the game first starts and there's silence before the intro music starts.
or
B: for the second of silence when one track unloads, and a new track loads up (sometimes).

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 5:39

You can't map tracks on an unmodded rom I think... You need to have breakpoint 2004 with write set to see which map is currently played.

E.g.:
$9F/FC4D 8D 04 20    STA $2004  [$00:2004]   A:E700 X:0000 Y:007E
In A, low byte is the track that is played.

I briefly checked the ending, and the credit roll will have a 00 (shared with got item) and needs to be remapped (among others).

Pev is currently on vacation till 15th of June. Also we mailed a lot in the meanwhile and that asm I posted here is already outdated. Better let him send you the latest patch.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum