Rasberry pi and msu-1

Go down

Rasberry pi and msu-1

Post by JUD6MENT on Wed 10 Oct 2018 - 14:13

Hey, i got a question. Is rasberry pi a good way to play msu-1 games? Will it play it without lag? Does it allow save state without a screw up? Right now i play msu-1 on my soft mod wii, which i like, but it doesnt save state msu-1 right and the amount i use my soft mod wii i am wearing down my controllers and a new wii pro controller is $80 right now, so i am looking for a new option. Also, if someone does recomend, what is a good guide to follow how to set up a rasberry pi to play all the fun old games as well as msu-1?
JUD6MENT
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Rasberry pi and msu-1

Post by Polargames on Wed 10 Oct 2018 - 17:08

JUD6MENT wrote:Hey, i got a question. Is rasberry pi a good way to play msu-1 games? Will it play it without lag? Does it allow save state without a screw up? Right now i play msu-1 on my soft mod wii, which i like, but it doesnt save state msu-1 right and the amount i use my soft mod wii i am wearing down my controllers and a new wii pro controller is $80 right now, so i am looking for a new option. Also, if someone does recomend, what is a good guide to follow how to set up a rasberry pi to play all the fun old games as well as msu-1?

Oh yes, It does great with MSU1 games, that is how I have played them. Now the game that I had ran into issues with was kirby 3 because my power supply was underpowered, but it did struggle with SA-1, but I have heard it has gotten better. Yes you can use save state state, Retroarch allows for that. The program needed is retropie and an SD Card, the kind theat you use for video cams and smart phones, I would say at least 64 GB because of the size of MSU games. I have a ton of info for you, check your PM. Smile
Polargames
Crystal Maiden
Crystal Maiden

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Wed 10 Oct 2018 - 17:24

Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames on Wed 10 Oct 2018 - 17:59

Conn wrote:I found this info, maybe it helps
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/13144/snes-msu-1-guide/2

Nice I was just about to post this also lol. This is great Jud6ment for MSU1, I had used this also. Well done Conn Very Happy
Polargames
Crystal Maiden
Crystal Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT on Wed 10 Oct 2018 - 18:36

Thanks so much Polar and Conn. One question Polar, would a regular size SD card work or does it need to be a micro sd card? Im ok with investing in a micro if needed but I already own a regular size 64 gb sd card that I was hoping to use.
JUD6MENT
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames on Wed 10 Oct 2018 - 21:21

JUD6MENT wrote:Thanks so much Polar and Conn. One question Polar, would a regular size SD card work or does it need to be a micro sd card? Im ok with investing in a micro if needed but I already own a regular size 64 gb sd card that I was hoping to use.

It needs to be a micro sd card. Thats is the only way it will work for a raspberry pi because thats how big the slot is for it.
Polargames
Crystal Maiden
Crystal Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn on Thu 11 Oct 2018 - 3:57

The author of this article, edale is also a member here,
https://www.zeldix.net/u1196

maybe you want to write him a pm, or he will read this and give you further advice Wink
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT on Thu 11 Oct 2018 - 4:39

Polar sent me a pretty detailed message of how to do a retropie so i think i am set once i buy the stuff.
JUD6MENT
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Back to top Go down

Post by psalmsamuel on Tue 25 Dec 2018 - 11:24

(Trolls Reply)

1. Get the "Stretch 4.4" image from the "github" link, not the "United Kingdom" link, 128 GB Card will perform better on the Retropie 3B+ (it does detect the performance of the card) ... ("odroid ux4", a good performing card will increase emulator performance, only load times with Retropie, not emulator performance.

2. After Controller Setup, set CPU to Performance, from (main menu/emulationstation menu) "Retropie/Raspi-Config".  Also enable SSH that enables FTP from your computer, (i usually set username/password to "pi", during setup. (5. Interfacing Options) ................ (Set the region of your keyboard, 4. Localization Options, the default pal layout, changes some keys you press)

3. Don't update firmware, or run "sudo apt-get update", or "sudo apt-get upgrade" by pressing F4 from your keyboard to bring up the Terminal (commandline), or risk breaking setup! (those are suggested if you have problems) ............... (Don't expect WIFI to work, you can play with it, but the PS4 an Xbox One, controllers are supported from USB Cable)

4. "Update Install Script", before you install any emulator cores, "Retropie/Retropie Setup/"Update Retropie-Setup Script" (always update from source, and if a core doesn't build, check the github page, FOR THAT EMULATOR (some are maintained better then others), sometimes it is indicated that the "build failed", wait until it updates) ..................... (if you make the mistake of updating your "firmware", and can manually downgrade it from "terminal/commandline" by pressing F4, and entering the correct command)

5.Something you Didn't Know, and your Biggest Problem! ... ... ... ... (Retroarch is just an emulator, you can use your same setups on another device, if you want to try the "odroid ux4", everything will be the same, "gamelists", "downloaded images, for the gamelists", and rom folder, etc. ... only different would be how the controller is handled, that would have to be setup again) ... ... ... ... Most of them are straight Liars! ... ... ... ... the "lag" issue isn't a problem on the "Retropie", but you need a good quality controller like the PS4, all that other stuff is just cheap and hard to handle ... ... ... ... (Your Second Biggest Problem is Understanding what, where, and why, all the different configuration files are saved) ... ... ... ... (opt/retropie/configs/all/"retroarch.cfg" ... is your main controller configuration file) (opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads ... has some additional settings, for controls, "REMAP REBINDS" option in retroarch, will stop this from loading, when set to "on/off" (off i think"), after loading a custom "retroarch.cfg" file for a specific game, like "Tomb Raider___retroarch.cfg" (you rename that and add it to the "retroarch folder", like that) (only had to do more advanced setups for PS1 games (all of your analog controls, you can set from the main retroarch options, just press the joystick for the button you want and then save, it will be applied to everything, unless you disable it (which will be disabled for everything) (or use a custom setup, that is, load custom retroarch.cfg file)

6. Best way for SNES.  Install "lr-snes9x" from from source or binary from the retropie's options.  Then you replace the core file with the PGO's build release of "lr-snes9x", add that core file to any "rom folder" and then using the "file browser" that comes installed, copy and overwrite the file.  (browse to the file and select it then type the path in the browser where it goes, "opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-snes9x") ... ... ... ... (blending option, speed hack option (compatible in most cases, light, or disabled if rom don't work), press button at grey box popup to change resolution to "640x480 after launch and 4:3 from retroarch options in game", stretch image from your TV) (most emulators have not performance increase from lower screen resolution, snes does on the retropie)

(save states for games are saved in the rom folder, "game options saved per game-sometimes you need those if your global option is "compatible for speed hack in snes, then if a game requires it off or to "light" you need to save "per game options", those are saved in one of the configuration folders I think)

7. Even if your Told how to Setup a Retropie? Big Deal, with no file examples your just out of luck! ... ... ... ... (its perfectly legal to share file setups/configuration files/or dummy files to illustrate the setup, but people normally don't, its noob hatred ... ... ... most people realize they have to spend a few hours after purchase to set everything up, because, a few simple facts escape them, just about everything i've said)

PS4 Controller, Retropie Config
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KwEPZBg75PKs6POUeQ0lMX9L-KKguA_A/view?usp=sharing

(just edit the "gamelists" file and "downloaded images" so they have the same name and entry as the, roms, the "roms" in the "rom" folder, on the retropie .............. you don't need to use scrapers, so think of this as an example) (just back up those files, and your "rom" folder, and that all, you can redo everything after fresh install, very easy, if you don't want to backup more) (two versions of the default PS4 controller after install, on with no analog controls, just to set up the custom PS1 configuration files I load for some games after loading the PS1 game, I call up the retroarch menu, then load the configuration file for that game, to fix analog controls ..... after game loads to ensure the resolution is set right, at lower 640x480 after launch for performance increase in PS1, really cleans up some ps1 games like spyro)

MSU-1

(in the "gamelist" file for snes, just open it and search for "MSU" notice a "folder" entry and "game" entry are made for each "MSU" game, that is so only the folder displays on the TV, and inside that, just the rom, not all the audio files and stuff)

(the games play fine with no problems, you can check the configuration files in the link for any additional sound or driver options I set there, probably the defaults)

(Those are my shader suggestions, three shaders, but after you change settings save "per core" for all snes games, or save, "per game" for just those games) (notice I use "barrel roll", i think its called off hand to warp the screen like a "old bubble tv", "add just "super-eagle" to that, you should be fine, or just "barrel roll" ................ adding more shaders makes the image more blurry, I like this effect so I use three shaders in most emulators)

MAME NOTE*

You have to blank the name fields, because the "MAME emulators, including FBA", use their own built in "name directors", and a good deal of the time, if you add the name entry in, the rom will not detect ................. you can add the name directly for the other emulators.  (with a footnote, it was only the "g.i. joe NES" game that I had to spell with less characters to get it to identify) .............. (most of the fields in the mame games list as you can see, in the example in the pack, have blank entries, doesn't happen often but in addition to what was said, the "github developer pages", will update the "name tables built in for mame", its tedious but you need to blank all the name fields in the game list in that case to avoid errors)

There isn't much to know about the "retropie 3B+" to get it to work fine, everything you need to know is mentioned in here, in this statement.

Don't really expect better performance from the "odroid ux4", if you even care about n64 or dreamcast, don't expect good playback for those either.  (You will at least have better visuals with the "odroid ux4", if you disable "THREADED VIDEO", and play with options for lag/response .............. best to start with the retropie, because, the setup is simpler, but the other setup is also not that complicated ............... don't have file examples or, experience with retroarch, then better start with a retropie!

psalmsamuel
Rope
Rope

Since : 2018-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by psalmsamuel on Tue 25 Dec 2018 - 13:32

(the shaders in the pack are not updated for snes/MAME, not with my current settings, since i'm updating some stuff, at the moment) (its from a older backup that i shared, just a week or two, actually, i think 4 months, but i didn't do much, once you set up the retropie, you don't need to bother it!)

(SNES "lr-snes 9x" and MAME/FBA)
Shader Passes 3
Shader #0 image-adjustment.glsl
Shader #0 filter = don't care
Shader #0 scale = don't care
Shader #1 super-eagle.glsl
Shader #1 filter = don't care
Shader #1 scale = don't care
Shader #2 barrel-distortion.glsl
Shader #2 filter = don't care
Shader #2 Scale = don't care

"snes-hires-blend.glsl" was my old preference in place of "image-adjustment.glsl" ................ not only are the order in which you select the shaders important, but, the ones you pick, even if a small difference.

for Example, the difference between the two shaders, i mention above is, just noticable in in "F-Zero Snes", but in other games the different shaders are much more noticable, like with the dodonpachi games.  (essentially, "image-adjustment" is "snes-hi res blend", minus the added "blurr" effect).

(thats what makes emulation better then the original console, you can on a LCD TV, add the bubble CRT TV EFFECT, and even better, add a very slight blur, based on the shaders you pick)

probably...

all you need for snes on the raspberry to look as good as the snes on a console on a bubble tv, on a lcd tv, are these two shaders "image-adjustment and barrel-distortion". (you see this brings back all the old memories).

however, when you add "super-eagle" in the order, above, then you gain a very slight "blurr", and this is what makes, the emulation much better then the original console! (Final Fight snes is a good example of this, but any game will do)

(i'm not referring to smoothing out the jagged edges or anything like that, i'm talking about, being true to the snes) (people don't typically share their setups or their shader settings, so the community of retroarch in general is, "epic fail")

Other Shader Examples for other systems, I toiled this alot, but I only purchased the, raspberry pi 3B, and then the 3B+, to upgrade only for the SNES primarily) (my new uptoday snes shader settings, i haven't shared anywhere, my previous ones i have, but they were not good!)

(SEGA lr-genesis-plus-gx)
Shader Passes 3
Shader #0 image-adjustment.glsl
Shader #1 snes-hires-blend.glsl
Shader #2 Scale = don't care
(From "options" set "Blargg NTSC Filter" to "composite, disable sprite limit)

(the same effect for the snes with a very slight blurr is obtained for the sega genesis in the above settings) (the sega can be a very ugly system, but "2xsai" in place of "snes hires blend", adds to much blurr, and "2xsai-level2" kills it with blurr)

(GAMEBOY ADVANCE)
Shader Passes 4
Shader #0 bnes_gamma_ramp.glsl
Shader #1 lcd3x.glsl
Shader #1 scale = 2x
Shader #2 Scale = 2x

(best I could do, again, haven't spent much time, toiling with it, but it looks great)

(NES - core lr-nestopia)
Shader Passes 2
Shader #0 2xsal-level2.glsl
Shader #1 barrel-distortion.glsl
(Blargg's Composite Color Filter from the Option of Retroarch in Game) (CPU speed 2x in options) (disable sprite limit)

(nestopia has the shader options and stuff, but its buggy and has slowdown in a lot of games) (adding any more shaders then that, really cuts performance too, the emulator needs major updates, or its can, really no reason to, toil, with the settings)

(Playstation)
Shader Passes 1
Shader #0 2xsal-level2.glsl

(theres no performance issues with these shaders for all emulators with the 3B+ retropie, however.  It would be better for the Playstation to have, "barrel distortion" on the PS1, but it can't perform at normal with more than one shader.  ALSO, the PS1 games were not designed for "bubble CRT tv s", and that shader will mess up some games, (looks great with the doom FPS game though) (doom PS1 is a good game to see the difference in using the "2xsai, versus the, "2xsai-level2" shader (with barrel distortion enabled), since some games are minor, actually spyro too)

(no real reason to buy a udroid ux4, instead of a retropie)

I just said that as a reminder, that if you purchase a PS4 controller, since the retropie has no issue with that, then its still less money, and your not really getting anything, since that system has bad compatibility, supposedly.  (but with, uxdroid ux4, you can disable "THREADED VIDEO", and some other options, for slightly better quality, that isn't very noticable, infact, I would go on to say, your wasting your time if your really worried about the difference in visual quality on the systems, since there isn't any, or the lag times).

(rapid fire button doesn't work with any of the "custom mapping options", either by creating a config fire in the rom folder for that, or, adding the line for the game launch at the "grey box quick launch option", for RAPID FIRE, ONLY calling up the retroarch menu in game and setting the button to use was the best option

(doing anything else requires using a different driver, and programming some stuff, there are examples to use, but I don't see a benefit, rapid fire is good for a few games, even with all the games I have setup, not worth the trouble, so, big minor inconvience)

psalmsamuel
Rope
Rope

Since : 2018-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum