MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume)

Go down

MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume) Empty MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume)

Post by Conn Mon 2 Mar 2020 - 4:23

This script was made by Insidious611 to lower the volume in pcm sets. Some people complain that some pcm sets are too loud like happened in Star Fox, Zelda. So if you experience it is too loud you can run this script to adjust it to your satisfaction volume level.

Exe file:
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eaTfdctDij-BD2s6mrBVt8SqHpeRE9m4/view?usp=sharing
This should not require any further installations, just run the exe file in windows. You are prompted to enter a normalization level, the closer to 0 you set the value, the louder the output files will be. So -18 dBFS is louder than -21 dBFS.
Place the MSU PCM files to be renormalized in the "In" folder, run "Run_Me.exe", and the renormalized files will be in the "Out" folder when it finishes.

Python Source:
Needed only if you want to alter the code, the exe file above works without python installed.
Code:

https://mega.nz/#!TA4z0AzD!Bf4u6C78JVn_vPy4UAKp69bZ9_OwFIK7AyNYKAyTMRY
Note to the python source:
To use it, you need Python installed:
https://www.python.org/downloads/
When running the installer, there's an option to "Install to PATH", make sure that's checked (this will let you run python scripts directly in Windows, without having to open a Python interface and working in a CMD prompt).
There are 2 scripts, "Run_Me.py" and "msu_normalize.py" The only one you should ever touch is "Run_Me.py".
It's default dB level is -18 dBFS, the line to change the normalization level is near the top in "Run_Me.py", and clearly marked.
Place the MSU PCM files to be renormalized in the "In" folder, run "Run_Me.py", and the renormalized files will be in the "Out" folder when it finishes.

Last edited by Conn on Mon 16 Mar 2020 - 14:06; edited 8 times in total
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume) Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume) Empty Re: MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume)

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 5 Mar 2020 - 10:15

This is a nice tool, thank you
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume) Empty Re: MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume)

Post by Conn Thu 5 Mar 2020 - 19:27

I converted it into an exe file. When executing, it will ask you for the db to normalize into (just type e.g., -18). Can anybody test it whether it indeed works?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eaTfdctDij-BD2s6mrBVt8SqHpeRE9m4/view?usp=sharing
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Thu 5 Mar 2020 - 20:37

Seems to work fine. Does the exe compiling remove the need for Python to be installed on the end-user's computer?

edale

MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume) Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 6 Mar 2020 - 4:46

Nice Very Happy I never dealt much with python, though it is an easy language.
I used pyinstaller to create the exe file, according to the manual it is not needed to have a python distribution installed to run the exe. All needed interpreters are stored into that exe file (therefore the exe file size is about 6MB for that small script):
https://pyinstaller.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

However, since I have python on my computer, I cannot test that Wink If anybody here without having python installed, please test Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by RedScorpion Fri 6 Mar 2020 - 5:33

Tried without installed python. Works well! Thanks
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume) Image111

Since : 2013-04-28

http://www.snes-projects.de

Back to top Go down

Post by stevefox1620 Thu 9 Apr 2020 - 14:28

Thanks. Super Ghouls and Ghosts has needed this since day 1. Now it's perfect.

stevefox1620
Bee
Bee

Since : 2018-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Tue 16 Jun 2020 - 6:09

After adding character voices and a few new tracks for Luigi, I used this to convert my Super Mario World native PCMs to be Super Mario World plus PCMs since the volume levels are different between the patches. HUGE THANKS to the creator of this tool! It saved me a ridiculous amount of time.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisu Kuremu Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 17:30

Conn wrote:
However, since I have python on my computer, I cannot test that Wink If anybody here without having python installed, please test Smile

I know others have confirmed it working, but I wanted to add my input. First off, many thanks for making this program! I needed it for the Mega Man X soundtrack 21xx Redux by Wyllz Millar. The music is loud and audible, but gets drowned out by the sound effects.

I initially thought I would have to edit one track at a time using Goldwave (I've been using this program for years to edit audio files as well as adjusting the volume) and then convert back to PCM. However, your normalize program tackled all 33 tracks in a matter of minutes! I tried a few values and -8 db seems perfect. Now the sound effects don't drown the music out and everything sounds balanced.  

Thank you very much, you have no idea  Very Happy

Aisu Kuremu
Rope
Rope

Since : 2024-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Mon 12 Feb 2024 - 18:16

Aisu Kuremu wrote:I tried a few values and -8 db seems perfect. Now the sound effects don't drown the music out and everything sounds balanced.  

Thank you very much, you have no idea  Very Happy
-8dB? that's...loud... far louder than I'd expect on any game, given that most games are -18 or -21dB.

edale

MSU-1 re-normalization (lower pcm volume) Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisu Kuremu Sat 17 Feb 2024 - 3:02

edale wrote:
-8dB? that's...loud... far louder than I'd expect on any game, given that most games are -18 or -21dB.

You're right. I tried -8dB on a different PCM set for the same game and it's very loud. But the first pack I tried the music was really low, so adjusting it to -8dB fits it perfectly. There's are various different PCM sets for this game and it seems each one I had to adjust to my liking. I prefer the music slightly louder than the sound effects, but not where it drowns them out. I had to use different values for each set (-8dB, -14dB and -16dB). So far from my testing, -18dB and -21dB are too low for me.

Aisu Kuremu
Rope
Rope

Since : 2024-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 17 Feb 2024 - 3:49

I would go further than -16, if it gets too loud it will starting doing a clipping sound that is uncomfortable to the ears.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down